Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to beat the game because of this one particular boss. Not even Zarpedon was as big a bastard.

Also, Nisha's final skill in her "Fan the Hammer" skill tree is super weird too. If you're using a pistol you automatically get an exact copy of it in your offhand. But it doesn't fire alternatively like you would assume, that would make too much sense. Instead the game decides randomly which hand fires each click. So you could fire three times with your right, twice with your left, once with your right, and then fire your left until it empties. So there's no way to plan when you reload, which gives Nisha bonuses.

Augh! I actually was starting to like this game and now I've hit a bullshit wall!

:wtc: This in a game where the previous installment had a guy built around dual wielding and it put the offhand gun onto the other trigger/mouse button like any sensible setup. Why change poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Polaron posted:

Bungie's always sucked at boss fights. The Halo games were at their best when you had an interesting battlefield in which to take out a horde of enemies, not having to deal with a gimmicky enemy who can kill you nigh-instantly (Tartarus, the Prophet in Halo 2) or a fight that might as well have been a cutscene (343 Guilty Spark). And the one time they introduced an enemy that could have been a fun, thematically consistent boss fight, they don't even have him put in more than a token appearance in the final game (the Gravemind)!

I like Destiny, but Bungie really needs to get back to their strengths: big open combat areas with tons going on and the ability to drive around in a jeep with a cannon on the back with your buddy hanging out the side.

I mean for god's sake the standard fireteam size in Destiny is THREE how is there not a Guardian Warthog to tool around in?

The first Halo was perfectly fine without some lovely bossfight* yet the felt the need to shove them into the later games for no particular reason.

*Beyond the occasional Golden armored Elite with a sword out to :ese: you.

And the bolded is one of the biggest problems with Destiny. Really, all these somewhat large outdoor areas and a supposed team game but no multiperson vehicles? Cmon guys :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I think we all know very drat well by now that cutting the power during a save can cause Bad Stuff.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Len posted:

This one makes the most sense to me. Just always assume someone somewhere is playing a game for the first time. You have to learn that somewhere and if it were in a manual nobody would ever see or read that.

Yeah I'd say its one of the few legitimate tips/warnings that every game should have, and I like how most have integrated it into the copyright/legalese splash screen where its very unobtrusive.

15 minutes of camera controls can start to grate, especially every time you start a new game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm not mlg level but I really enjoy Destiny pvp. :shrug: Yeah, the super is an I-win button. But everyone gets it. I don't really have a problem with the weapon balance* (possibly because I'm a shotgun lover :v:) But realy, when everything is CoD and BF wants to be CoD (to its detriment) I'll for sure play some fuckin Halo-like with TTK's a hair longer than "split faction of a second".

*Except that one sniper rifle that has a 3rd mag and can OHK with the final shot even from a body shot when they're at full hp. People just run around wasting the first two shots into walls and then they have a single shot Q3 railgun.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

No, I said the only mod I won't play without is the IWR.
Or I can use a mod and not turn off achievements until I save, quit, and reload.

Personally I don't give a crap about achievements, and I wasn't so much as running into the invisible walls while exploring but falling into cracks and folds in the terrain where I'd get stuck. So noclip was the best option. Suited me just fine when I ran into the occasional invisible wall, too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm gonna have to go with a general complaint: The death of splitscreen.

For the next few months I'm living out of a hotel room with a friend of mine while we work on a construction project. I have my xbone and two controllers, but there just aren't that many games we can play together on the same console anymore. Racing and sports games are just about the only ones these days, along with the Halo collection.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Losing the cops in GTA5 is loving annoying, it takes too long, and the cops can just spawn out of nowhere virtually on top of you, or they can psychically divine where you're hiding if you manage to duck into an alley or something. Being diverted into a tedious 10-minute escape because you accidentally nick a cop's bumper on the way to a mission can just get bent.

Don't worry, I felt exactly the same about the cops when I started playing but now I can slip away from the cops in my sleep. It comes with time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The tip of taking off your mask to lose a star is an excellent one to keep in mind, especially if you shoot the convenience store clerk during the robbery, like I do. Haul rear end out of there, break LOS and take off the mask to go from 3 to 2 stars, no more choppers making my life miserable.

RyokoTK posted:

I just love that no matter what issue in whatever game is brought up in this thread, there's someone ready to post "no that doesn't happen, you just suck, git gud" :rolleyes:

:shrug: Zaphod may be, but I do think it's a valid complaint. I felt the same way at first. Like Lap Lem said, its not particularly hard once you get the hang of it (though losing choppers can be tricky if you have a crappy car) but it may not always be the most enjoyable activity. "Hey, I did something fun! Now I have to hide in an alley for a minute before I can have fun again." It really does get easier and easier as you play more, and it goes from a challenge to a somewhat annoying hassle every now and then. I make it more enjoyable by chucking out tons of grenades and sticky bombs to make the chase a little more interesting for the cops.

But then, I really only play open world free for all deathmatch GTA:O these days where cops are hardly a concern.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Its really my mistake for making my getaway in a 200mph straight line through the dunes, but man is it annoying when a chopper spawns in the air directly ahead of me. :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

it's weird, when I was learning to drive I'd have nightmares about taking the car off of a cliff and just rolling and flipping endlessly because it was apparently bottomless. Then in FC2-4, Just Cause 2, GTA, etc the first thing I do is hop on a quad/bike and bomb it off the highest mountain I can find just for shits and giggles.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Len posted:

So the town screen is just a menu for upgrades and units? Not sure why it would be a big thing to not have them then.

Because its been an essential part of the game from the get-go and to not have it is to break tradition and be a different game entirely! :goonsay:

But yeah, it was just a neat representation of the progress of your city. Build a barracks or a wizard tower and now the town screen shows a barracks or a wizard tower! The world reacts and grows as you do things! Just like the city screen in Civ II.

While I don't particularly care either way, the posted example of VII's town screen is butt ugly, drat.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hunky Joe posted:

Okay well I stand corrected but in fairness I only played 3 and 4. I am not sure how you healed yourself when you nearly drowned though in 4...punched yourself in the guy and spit up water?

Yeah, drowing yourself is kind of an edge case :v: Generally it was good about picking an animation suitable to the damage you've been taking. My complaint is that 3 (and probably 4, haven't played it yet) seem to have a much smaller selection of animations to use. I reset my broken thumb and wrapped my forearm so many times in FC3.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was the reverse, especially in FC2. I basically never carried syringes cause the healing animations were so cool.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

It was also great because if you were reading the map you could barely see the road. The number of times I ran off the road, or ran over something because I wasn't paying attention is too high to count :allears:

Yuuup, I ran into so much poo poo while trying to sneak a quick peek at the map. I loved it. Fry Cry 2 was a flawed game but drat did it do a lot right, especially in the details of the animations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

First time I played Fallout NV, I walk outside Doc's and am armed with pocket lint and a few caps. That's what I like, starting from nothing and working my way up. I played on PS3, eventually the save file corrupted. poo poo happens

A few years later Steam has a "Fallout NV and all DLC for :10bux:" sale. Sure, why not. Start it up, walk outside Doc's, and I'm armed with a whole arsenal of weapons, tools, and kit from all the DLCs. Grr.

...so drop them on the ground?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm one of those murderous psychopaths (only once triggered, like if someone kills me first) so GTA:O is a helluva lot of fun.

A buddy and I camped a guy for like 45 minutes after he blew my friends head off for the insult of driving out of a car shop. He went passive after like 20 minutes so I just teabagged him with a helicopter for a while. :allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The best counter is also jumping around like an rear end in a top hat, ideally with a shotgun and stims.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I love that this is an actual in game description of how the fallen think guardians are, a bunch of space assholes wielding space magic who just want to shoot and loot.

And never loving die. The guardian way must be a hell of a thing to be on the receiving end of. "Well guardian, there's only so many of them, just take this shotgun and run right at them until there aren't any left. Ghost will patch you up, no big."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Howabout realizing "Oh wait I'm not wearing power armor right now" shortly after jumping off of a big tower/industrial building.

Thank god for autosaves.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

Would you believe me biggest complaint about Fallout 4 right now is when you are backing out of a work bench (armor, weapons, any of them) you hit TAB a few times but to finally exit out of it you need to hit Enter?

Why not just TAB all the way through? Making me reach across the keyboard is something that should have driven someone in Bethesda nuts enough to change.

This is what happens when you game in your 30s; little inconveniences bother you instead of hunting for bugs then bitching on the Internet.

E also functions as the 'confirm' button, unless you've remapped it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

The PC control mapping is really off sometimes.

See: The fact that escape should logically back out of all menus and not just the workshop.

Speaking of the workshop menu, the 'snapping' mechanics and the fact that the building materials don't all line up with each other is a hard lesson to learn. Adding on that you get back less scrap than you spend (something that would be fine if there were an undo button) it becomes an expensive mistake.

Most of the metal walls don't even have proper corner pieces to link them with :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Didn't Morrowind not even tell you the main quest until later on? You're just dropped off at a dock and told 'go do whatever'.

Well, you're told to go meet the agent in Balmora but IIRC (its been a while) he has you faffing around delivering memos and drugs and delving into ruins for quite a while before the whole prophecy thing starts coming up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Back to Fallout 4 real quick:

Random terminals that don't let you use them while wearing power armor for some unknown reason. :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

In Just Cause 2 you'd never take falling damage as long as the grappling hook was attached to something. Falling at the ground at terminal velocity? Fire the hook at the ground and accelerate into a perfectly safe landing!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's not quite as extreme but fallout 3 had something similar where pretty early on it when you went to galaxy news radio for the main quest, you had to fight a super-super mutant and it gave you a mini nuke launcher to do it with.

Makes sense. They were pushing the Fat Man big in articles and previews and the like. So they give one to the player early on and after all it is nice to have in your pocket in case you need to blow up a high level guy you wandered into on accident, a common problem in open world games.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

:ssh: It's so the game looks "epic" and impressive to first look previews like Conan and etc who won't be playing more than two hours anyways to hook in new consumers.

Yes, I am that cynical.

Same here with Fallout 4, the commercials end with the guy finding a suit and walking around with his dog. Not only does it play good on Conan (and they don't have to make a separate demo, bonus!) but it shows players a decent bit of the action-y side of the game and the impetus to go explore more. So you've got the armor and a minigun but no fuel or ammo. Get out there and find some! You're probably still all "man shooting those guys was fun- holdup is that an abandoned factory on the horizon!"

Front-loading the cool goodies and new features may also be because so many fickle gamers hardly even start playing a game before giving it up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Then the devs are like "haha got your $60 sucker! gently caress youuuuuuuuu!"

Well yeah but they also want people to play enough to be interested in the DLC :v:

..but maybe not enough to be tired to bad design decisions and then not get the DLC. Huh.

Oh but we're goons who'll buy it anyway.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

In Fallout 4, I like to keep a suit of charisma gear on underneath my power armor since most mods don't stack; whenever I get into a town/talk I pop out of the suit with max CHR ready to go.

The annoying thing is it takes 5 full seconds to get into, and out of, a power armor suit, and this can add up to nuisance levels pretty quick. Especially (and this is the core of my whine) since if you're in combat, you can pop into and out of your suit much, much faster- nearly instantly out, maybe two seconds in. If there's a way to force the quick animations I'd love to hear about it (even if I have to get a mod or something). Grr.

There is, it's called Fast Power Armor Exit or something like that.

Fakeedit: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/586/

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How much effort did you put into illustrating those leaves?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I felt the same way about the game studio sequences in Black Flag (the only AssCreed I've played) and just couldn't wait for them to be over so I could get back to being a motherfuckin pirate.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh yes Far Cry 3, give me cool tools like flamethrowers and sniper rifles with exploding bullets but all the assassination missions require you to shank the targets. What if I get tired of sneaking around and want to go guns blazing? Mission failed, awesome.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I mean, just take the food for example. Your settlers all need 1 unit of food to eat. Settlers told to farm can work on up to 6 food plants. You need water to let them grow. All the different types of food only give 0.5 food units, except for mutfruit.

And nothing more about it. There's no bonuses for different types of food, and much of it is a hassle to grow. Very little of it is of use; you have to harvest the few that are useful by hand to get any decent qualities because they don't stockpile them well. Rather than having different drawbacks or advantages to food, there's just one way better than the others.

Ech.

I've read that growing a variety of food crops will increase happiness over just going for the optimal mutfruit orchard. Buuuut the settlement system is so fuckin half-assed that there is absolutely no feedback or even a settlement overview ui to let you know that

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Do you expect the hag to just let your guy out of her pot because you up and ran away? Sounds like you're abandoning that party member to their stew-ey end.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I have a brother and we have similar taste in games, so one save file poo poo is annoying as hell wherever it pops up. It made sense with Pokemon on the Game Boy, but if I can download sixty gigs of uncompressed dirt textures then certainly I can spare another 40 megs for a second save.

Really trying to share like that can cause huge problems. Once a friend was playing some ARPG on my xbox and had no idea that the save game list re-ordered itself so the most recent save was on top. Meaning, of course, he kept saving his game to the 3rd one, casually overwriting all my saves as the list shuffled around to keep his most recent save at the top. :downs:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Digirat posted:

The only time I've ever used one of those buttons was one time in bioshock infinite where I wanted to know which which was the wrong way to go, so I could get all the items that way in case I passed a one-way event, since that's what you do in games.

Hah, same here. The Dead Space line says I go right at this junction? Okay but first I'll head left and loot everything/trigger the jump scare.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Advance dialogue in Mass Effect: Spacebar/A Button
Choose dialogue in Mass Effect: Spacebar/ A Button

ZeldaTutorialRepeat.jpg

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Maybe watch an lp or something of Cities? It honestly is pretty easy to stay cash-flow positive in that game. Start small, expand slowly as your surplus rebuilds and demand rises. Don't overbuild a massive road network at the beginning and you should be golden.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And don't be afraid of the loans. Sometimes you'll need one to stop things from spiralling downwards.

And, especially early on where there isn't the demand, reduce your budgets from 100%. You actually won't regret it.

All that extra power production or sewage capacity is just wasted $.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Weapon variety was gutted in FO4 compared to NV thanks to spending so much time developing a pile of different receivers for the same dumb zip tied pipe gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

New Vegas was also a sequel that was able to recycle the guns from its predecessor. Plus most of the new guns in NV were real-world guns so there was way less actual design work to do.

I get why there are fewer guns, it's still a thing dragging the game down for me.

I also think it was a little much to allow you to change pistols to rifles and back, I think it would have been better for the two to be separate, then you could put stubby stocks and auto receivers onto pistols to turn them into smgs, cut down rifle stocks to make carbines, that kinda thing. As it is you find one dinky pistol and a few minutes with a blow-torch and some duct tape, heyo presto I've got an overpowered sniper rifle.