Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
All the hype over MGSV made me decide to finally give the series another chance. I liked the first one this time, but holy gently caress is Metal Gear Solid 2 awful. Raiden is a lovely protagonist, Dead Cell are incredibly boring, the story is (so far) completely flat, and that loving bridge between shells 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Because Kojima only wants lady characters he can jack it to. And that is my thing dragging the Metal Gear Solid franchise down, especially the "first person view to ogle women" but in some of the cut scenes in MGS3.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

princecoo posted:

I'm playing and really enjoying Mad Max at the moment, but damnit there is this one little thing that makes my eye twitch - Dinky Di.

In the game, you can replenish health by eating cans of dog food you find around the wasteland. The dog food is labelled "Dinky Di Meat and Vegies". At the start of the game, you get a dog (who can detect land mines) and it gets named "Dinky Di.".

Here is the thing. Dinky Di is an Australian thing. It's slang that is similar in meaning to "True blue", "Dead set" or "Fair dinkum". In other words, Really/true/truth.

This fits with the overall "Australianess" I guess of the game (and films) which feature a lot of Australian actors/VAs.

It's pronounced "Dinkee Die (or Dye)".

Chum, your mechanic friend, constantly says it like "Dinkee Dee".

Every time he does, I get a twitch.

And the word is "gasoline" not "guzzoline." The characters have obviously had some linguistic shifts since the end of the world.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona 3: The plot section just before rescuing Fuuka has you and two friends going into a shady alleyway searching for information and nearly getting beaten up by the local criminal element. There are two problems with this:
1) You can go there by yourself slightly earlier in the day and get no trouble at all;
2) More importantly all three of you have been fighting supernatural monsters for the last month and a half, and are fully armed for the purpose (I just gave Junpei a baseball bat with nails through it!)
It just seems like it shouldn't necessarily be as scary as it's portrayed. Not the end of the world, it isn't completely nonsensical or anything, but it's a bit irksome.

I just assumed they don't carry their weapons and poo poo with them, and that magic only works during that weird extra hour or whatever when Tartarus exists.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
My one complaint with Bloodborne is that there doesn't seem to be a ton of variety in the equipment. I've defeated four bosses so far but only gotten one new right-hand weapon. Magic seems to be completely removed in favor of guns (which again are very same-y). The armor all seems to have pretty much the same amount of physical defense (with a difference of maybe 10 points total between different sets) so I guess it's just all about deciding what elements you want better resistance too; and there's no weight system like in the other Souls games, so as someone who's used to using very heavy equipment in those it adds to the same-y feeling of the equipment in Bloodborne.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
In Blood Borne: The Old Hunters, Lady Maria is just the absolute worst. She doesn't play a goddamn thing like any other boss fight in the game, relies on mechanics that are useful but not really necessary anywhere else in the game, and has at least one combo that is essentially a one-hit KO as she will hit you as soon as you are able to stand back up. I have been playing this three minute fight again and again for several hours now.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

RyokoTK posted:

Don't ever back away from Maria, she has a lot of attacks that are designed to punish you for cowardice. She does have fairly low poise and almost all of her attacks have reasonable parry windows, so the trick is to either parry one of her attacks, or dodge forward through one of her attacks and punish her. Because she is easily staggered, a fast weapon can parlay any of those into considerable damage on her. I don't know how she's not like any other Hunter fight, she's aggressive but can be parried relentlessly, exactly the same as Gascoigne from a million hours ago. The only difference is her wide AOE on her attacks, but most of those are mitigated by just getting up in her fuckin' face.

I'm not sure what mechanics you're talking about that are useful but not necessary, because that fight is pretty straightforward to me.

Parrying. I'm terrible at it, but it's not really necessary for any of the other bosses like it is for her. I had the same problem with Gwyn at the end of the first Dark Souls. I'm used to using a slow, heavy character (I've generally stuck to the transformed Kirkhammer), and after that's worked for the entire game it's just not a viable option for this one fight. If she were a little slower like Gascoigne or the other Hunter fights it wouldn't be a problem. Instead I'm just bashing my head against this battle again and again and again.

E:

Krinkle posted:

I'd give advice on maria but to me the game is summon a buddy and go nuts taking turns on trading aggro back and forth. I get how doing it by yourself could be "satisfying" but this is the price you pay by going it alone. Until that satisfying moment you get a hell ride where only you are to blame for loving up!

I get plenty satisfied with jolly cooperation. Especially in the DLC because holy gently caress those bosses are dicks.

I would do this if I had PS+

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

FactsAreUseless posted:

So what can you do about a problem like Maria?

I can sure bitch about it real good :v:
Seriously though it required a big shake-up in my tactics (and abuse of the Augur of Ebrietas). I can understand why they would put a boss fight like that in, but I just don't like that fight.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played Life is Strange, although I do want to, but this kind of thing can be a bit of a dangerous thing to pull to not date your creation. If done well I'm sure it's really good, but you run the risk of not fitting in on any level. I remember that the comic strip For Better Or Worse suffered from that when the characters grew up enough to be using slang and such; the author decided to start making up her own rather than either go with what she knew (which would have been woefully out-of-date) or adapting what she did know teenagers said (which would have been incomplete and probably incorrectly-used, and eventually be out-of-date anyway). But the result, probably due to her bad writing skills, was a language that didn't sound right to anybody at any time whatsoever.

Hey man, relax the sphincter. There's no need to go roadside.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Sleeveless posted:

I genuinely regret missing out on the Baldur's Gate series. It seems like it would be the perfect game for being a kid with unlimited free time but as an adult is just a tedious slog.

As a kid, it was a tedious slog.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Woolie Wool posted:

Download Climates of Tamriel, Vurt's foliage, and one of the modding thread recommended ENBs. Problem solved, the game is now rich and vibrant.

"Well if you install a bunch of third party mods it becomes tolerable" is not a valid excuse for this sort of thing. If you need third party mods to make a game good, then it is a bad game.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Woolie Wool posted:

It's a Bethesda game. If you can't deal with it, all Bethesda games are bad, go play something else.

I don't play Bethesda games for precisely that reason. Thanks for being weirdly aggressive about it though!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Woolie Wool posted:

It's because people who actually bother to mod Bethesda games are sick to death of having had people whine about having to mod Bethesda games for the past 14 years. Bethesda isn't going to stop making janky games, the modders aren't going to stop improving them, and players aren't going to stop playing them, because there is not and never will be competition for Bethesda's formula until million-dollar bills rain from the sky and nobody has to worry about budgets anymore.

Lol you play games you can't enjoy until some nerd fixes them because the company knows they can release a half-finished product and spergs will eat that poo poo up and ask for seconds

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Or you could just use human effigies. That's what they're for.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

HaB posted:

Also - the Dark Souls 2 version of the Cling Ring (greatly mitigates the max health loss from dying a lot) is no longer easy to rush and grab in Scholar of the First Sin. It's now guarded by a bunch of Heide Knights.

It's still not terribly difficult to get. I went and got it before going on to the first boss. :shrug:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Len posted:

I got back into Monster Hunter 4 and while I really enjoy the battles against the giant monsters I wish it was less gear dependent. Having to grind the same thing over and over on the hope that it drops the right body part is just frustrating as hell.

Usually you can speed this up by breaking the body parts and/or capturing the monsters. It's still repetitive but it's a lot easier to, say, grind for a King's Frill if you make a point to focus in and break the neck.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Len posted:

Yeah. It's just that I've been doing the hunt-a-thon Tetsucabra and have brought down five breaking his tusks each time and I still don't have enough for the armor parts I need.

Ugggghh yeah. It might also be a good idea to look up if there's any Tetsucabra hunting quests that drop that as a quest reward, if you haven't done that already.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Blood vials are also fairly cheap through the bath messengers.

As for parrying, yeah there's very little reason to try and parry bosses in Bloodborne. I made it through the whole game and the DLC only ever even trying to parry Lady Maria. For me, that's a good thing since I've always found the Souls games' parry mechanics a bit too finicky and unsatisfying.

What is currently dragging Dark Souls 2 down for me is how often my weapon will just clip through an enemy or boss without registering a hit. Also parrying.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I really don't get the hate for Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos. The Bed was the best boss fight in the game because it was the only one where things would carry over after you died.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Guy Mann posted:

They patched that in after the fact. Originally you had to do the whole thing in one go.

Well it's been that way for years now, so I think it's time to get over it :shrug:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I've been playing the original Fatal Frame, and oh man that game has not held up very well at all. The resources are totally front-loaded, so you get a lot of healing items and ammo early on and then very little later when you actually need it. Sometimes you can't leave a room until you beat the ghost in it, but not always! And there is absolutely no indication when you can run from a ghost. The controls are absolute rear end. There are some random parts of the floor that your character can't walk on, so you have to move around it. There are also no subtitles, which was common in horror games of the time but it still sucks. All of that wouldn't be so bad if the actual photography part of the game weren't so incredibly loving clunky.

OH, I almost forgot. Ghosts can teleport while you're fighting them. That would be bad enough if it weren't for the fact that some ghosts can wind up an attack and then teleport right behind you just in time for the attack to land.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cleretic posted:

I'd take the option for kicks, because it seemed like it would be funny to say, or occasionally because I thought it'd fit the character to say it. Sometimes I'd underestimate how much it cut down, leading to a sidequest I might've been enjoying just ending because I got lucky. Once or twice it was because failing the speech check pissed people off, and I was more interested in fighting.

I never made a speech/charisma-focused character, so I was rarely interested in the speech/charisma options. I'd take them sometimes to make myself laugh, but those games always (or at least, should have always) had alternative quest resolutions, and I wanted to do those instead.

I too frequently pick options I don't actually want, and then reset the game when they work out exactly as intended

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Hel posted:

I would have let them get away with it if you could actually leave at the point when you actually meet someone and accomplished your objectives, don't have it pop up or something but have it as a secret ending. It's not like it would have cost them that much to put in a short cutscene and roll the credits before kicking you back to the menu or the last checkpoint.
There was even a story going 'round at the time of it's release that in one of the earlier version you could actually leave, but they removed the option after most of their players took that option and left.I doubt it's a true story though, it sounds too good and there hasn't been any proof.

I wonder if someone have done the "Quitting is a valid option" thing for other media? Has someone said it's your fault Romeo & Juliet dies because you could have just walked out of the theater or you could have prevented a lot of deaths, but you had to keep watching that lovely horror movie.

Difference is that you're not interacting with those and actively driving them forward.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Nuebot posted:

But it's not like you're playing The Sims or something and setting up a murder house to torture little pretend people. You have no actual control over what happens in the game. The player is effectively just along for the ride.

I'm just saying that there's a distinction between "you could just walk out of the theater and not kill Juliet!" vs "You are the one who is actively controlling this situation and causing all this death." Sure, the player is to some extent along for the ride, but on the other hand you do have a choice which leads to you (as opposed to characters you have no control over) killing a bunch of people. And that choice is to not play. You know, like not joining the military and engaging in pointless wars (because that is the totally not subtle metaphor of the game).

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BillmasterCozb posted:

They also don't know how to do weekly brawls, because where Hearthstone tavern brawls are just "Here's dumb poo poo that wouldn't work in a serious game, have fun", overwatch brawls are "i dunno..restrict the characters to junkrat and mei" instead of doing poo poo like the first weekly brawl, where everyone's cooldowns were cut in half, and their ults charged faster. that was fun mayhem,this poo poo is just droll.

I think people just waited for the third game of the generation to be released so that they dont have to buy the other two games, which is why nintendo stopped doing the third game

Droll means "funny" not "dull"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Overwatch is a good game, and Mercy is a good character.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BillmasterCozb posted:

i feel like i need some context for this

They said a word that people on tumblr say sometimes! The robocops are takin' over! It's political correctness gone mad!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I hate the equipment leveling system in Monster Hunter Generations. Why couldn't the game have just been Monster Hunter 4: But With New Monsters.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Ignimbrite posted:

Because capcom let the Frontier team have a crack at a handheld game.

:(:(:(

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Thoughtless posted:

The problem with Fallout 4 specifically doing that is that it's ostensibly an RPG, and in RPGs it's kinda important to not have dumb stuff forced on you, or it might ruin the whole RP aspect.

It doesn't matter what the protagonist is in most other genres. Mario would be the same game even if he was a black dude rescuing his boyfriend.

What about Super Mario RPG?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
It was an obvious joke at a post that contrasted RPGs and Mario you loving nerds. Video game RPGs are pretty much the same across the board regardless of whether they're J or not. W/C/whatever RPGs just give you the ability to create a character that is functionally identical to any other character in terms of how the game plays out. Unless you're like that loving dork earlier in the thread who posted about how he likes to pretend to be Doctor Who when he plays Fallout.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cleretic posted:

I am that loving dork. Except I didn't say that, I used Doctor Who as a comparison point for how I play a certain staple character of mine.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Even if you pretend you're Doctor Who in Fallout, that has every bit as much impact on how the game actually plays out as pretending that Tidus is actually Doctor Who and Lulu and Rikku are secretly loving.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

Play Fallout 2.

I have and the game plays out the same regardless of what pretend scenarios I have going on in my head?????

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

Try playing a different character with a different skill set and respond to inputs differently. You might be surprised how much the game accommodates you!

It's not the game's fault that you don't know the difference between 'personality' and 'motivation.'

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

E: no matter how hard I play pretend, Fallout 2 will not let me enter the TARDIS and travel to another time on another planet

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Action Tortoise posted:

Sombrero Guy, simmer down. you made your points about what u want. seriously, redtext callouts? that's incredibly bitchmade. if you're gonna start swinging at every person whose opinion you don't like, then don't keep derailing.

I can't believe we're going back to the fallout 4 Dr Who bullshit. :cripes:

Oh no I was red texted by someone from the SA Cards Against Humanity games who got sick of our in-jokes.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

frodnonnag posted:

oh hey! i broke 1800 days play time.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/0TeXjcZ.jpg[[/timg]

This is nearly five years spent logged into a game that came out six years ago. Please seek help.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Dewgy posted:

That's FF11, which came out 12 years ago. I mean, that's still over 40% uptime, but if you've been subbed that long I can definitely see idling to be a bazaar merchant that long while you go to work or sleep or whatever.

If it have spent almost five years logged into any video game, you should seek help.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

frodnonnag posted:

the worst i do is my limited farming runs of voidwatch. Due to the way the event runs, it is insanely profitable to multibox. Worst i've done is 6 characters at once.

I'm also not the only person with my account login.

To give you guys an idea of why my playtime is so long, it'd be helpful to explain some of the older content in the game like ground kings. Ground kings were a timed spawn that would only spawn exactly 21 to 24 hours after previous death, in 30 minute increments.Then there were the HQ versions that were 3 to 7 day random spawns off that. Small spawn area, really rigid spawn conditions, piss easy to bot-claim or track.

Then there were other high end rare spawns that were 3+ day random spawns. This shitsockery culminated with ixion and sandworm who were 3-5+ day spawns across several zones. Ixion had the added bullshittery of being spookable. if a player ran into him, he would despawn and repop in15 minutes to 3 hours. Since servers were unsegregated, Players were known for insane poo poo like holding these monsters for 12+ hours to get into their 'timezone' and spooking ixion over and over until other groups quit.

Bonus content: The clickthru warning every time you log into ff11.

You have spent literally over four years logged into a single video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Overwatch would be so much better if the players on my team ever seemed to understand the objective. Instead most of them just seem to treat it as a deathmatch and try to maximize their KDR without actually ever defending or trying to capture the objective.