Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Swagger Dagger posted:

Since I saw that walkers are getting better, are Sentinels any good? I really like how they look.

Outflanking Autocannon Scout Sentinels are always solid. They will still die to a stiff wind though. I don't expect them to live more than a single turn, but they usually get their points back.

That said, I really like my Armored Sentinels now. AV 12 is just the right place to where they can ignore small arms and if my opponent wants them dead, he has to sacrifice some of his hard hitters to take them down, leaving my tanks and chimeras alone. 50 points for an Armored Sentinel with a Plasma Cannon is just glorious. I've only just came back to the game recently with the new Guard codex and each game they have performed fantastically.

I do have a question about the new rules. I read on the 3++ blog that a weapon cannot allocate wounds outside of LOS. Does that mean if I have a mortar or some kind of artillery weapon that scatters behind a wall on models the weapon crew cannot see, the damage is negated? Does this affect the Hellhound's torrent attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

AbusePuppy posted:

Mortars are other barrage weapons that do not require LOS will ignore that rule. The hellhound, however, will not.

Thanks for this! Shame about the hellhound but its manageable.

Question about the random allocation with vehicle explosions though just to make sure I'm following this right as I cannot pick up the rulebook till I get paid again. I have a squad of veterans inside a chimera. My usual setup is a Heavy Flamer, 2 Plasmaguns, and since it will matter, the Sergeant and 6 Lasguns. If the transport explodes, how should I do the random allocation of hits? In the past, I usually hand those wounds off onto the lasguns for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if there is any examples or methods to follow in the book. The only thing I can think of doing thus far is say I take 4 wounds from the explosion, should I make my opponent roll 2D6 4 times, ignoring 11 and 12, to see which trooper takes the wounds?

Does anyone have a better idea or am I doing/thinking about this wrong?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

jng2058 posted:

2d6 is a terrible idea. You'll never roll a '1' and trooper number 7 will die more often than not. If you haven't got a d10, do this:

Pacheeco posted:

Assign each member a number and roll a D10.

Thanks guys! I'm working a double on only a few hours of sleep so my brain is not where it needs to be. I guess I have an excuse to find out where my true nerd dice went off to.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, GK were pretty sparse for units even before, and stripping seven entries out of it leaves them with 1-2 choices in most every slots.

With such an anemic army list, It feels like they will be more of an Allied Army than anything else. I've loved my Grey Knights for ages now, but it would be really boring to play these days, at least visually speaking. Its like a watered down Space Marine army with none of the interesting bits. Just Terminators, Power Armor and some vehicles and dreadnoughts.

There's the Dread-knight, but that thing really needs conversion work before it sees the table. Jesus...

The Inquisitors at least gave them something interesting and unique on the table top.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

JerryLee posted:

Frankly after seeing what happens when they try to add new models for the sake of new models--namely it either becomes a giant bogeyman or is a ridiculous piece of crap that nobody wants, or various worst-of-both-worlds combinations--it'd be pretty refreshing, from a certain standpoint, to see some codices that are only rules tweaks. I mean at least we don't have the Purifierfang dreadnought marching to battle alongside Kaldor Draigo's chariot made from the bones of a thousand brutally tortured nuns.

This is a fair point. But if there was any codex army in need of some new, interesting stuff it was the Grey Knights. With the Inquisition being made into its own mini codex, the Grey Knights are really bare bones. Its basically Storm Bolter Space Marines with a Souped-up Psyker phase at this point. I fear the Draigo chariot as much as anyone, but at least give us something.

I really want Grey Knights to be incredible and very expensive point wise as it fits better, personally that is. A single squad of Grey Knight terminators appearing on the battlefield should have some weight and gravitas to it. Making them just a different flavor of Space Marines is just disappointing and lazy, especially considering the fluff.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

ghetto wormhole posted:

Whaaa? Where's this from?

I like the idea of Dataslates adding new rules and units to existing armies, but it feels like paying to have access to older units and abilities from previous books that I already own. I wish it was more interesting than "Oh, you already painted up some Assassins. Just play $15 bucks (or whatever) to use them now". Ugh, I hate how negative I've become over this game. I just want cool new rules to go with all these silly models I painted over the years.

(image courtesy of BOLS)

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 13, 2014

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LingcodKilla posted:

That reminds me I'm still angry at them for removing penal legion troopers. Perfectly fine troop selection. I loved running Mordians as forging the narrative Commisar Cadets. Was just so easy. Had plans for the the beastmen too. Yours look really nice.

This and the loss of Marbo just sucked all the fun out of the IG codex for me. It did not help that I was having fun with Sgt. Harker and a veteran bunker right before the new book striped all the rules from him. I'm still surprised a Catachan/Death World book (Dataslate? Expansion? Whatever they are called nowadays) has not come out with some simple rules for them. They were such easy conversions. Penal Legion were fairly useless, at least they were a lot of fun.

At least the Tank Commanders were good.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Iron Crowned posted:

I never played DOW II, but I like to quote the Orks from DOW I all the time :orks:

You should give DOW 2 a chance just for the Ork Campaign in Retribution. Captain Bluddflagg is a gift to the world.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Uroboros posted:

Just seems like a pointless distinction to make, why leave the poor ole Plasma Cannon at a disadvantage for this one rule, while making it the equal in others?

That is my thought as well. Pask gives Preferred Enemy and I love my Executioner Tank with all its Plasma Cannon goodness. Why give out a rule that would have no effect on this tank when its solid with all other variants. Besides, its not like Plasma Cannons are breaking this game rule wise.

The Death Thread answer would because its GW but still now

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

adamantium|wang posted:

What, like Heavy on Ordnance Russes?

Touche

I'm still a bit salty as that as a Russ without Sponsons just looks naked to me. Oh well.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

adamantium|wang posted:

God I love this hobby

:godwinning:

You missed the best one.

The flags are bad but this is just beyond ok. Ugh, boo on this.

I usually really like this channel too. Shameful.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Toughness 8, 12 Wound, +3 Save Leman Russes...

Well, that's enough to get me to unbox my Imperial Guard from Storage. After the wet fart of 7th edition and the endless formation nonsense, I almost never thought I'd see my guard again.

I'm almost kind of hyped now.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I really like the idea of a combi-flamer always firing now.

I'm building a little deathwatch unit for my Guard and the thought of one Marine carefully taking aimed shots while the attached flamer sprays a tiny blast of flame into the air is cracking me up.

Bam! Pfft! Bam! Pfft!

Maybe it will just light the bolt on fire.

Glad to see my Leman Russ Sponsons are finally a thing again. They always look naked without them.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

DO IT TO IT posted:

I think sponsons in general might be a thing now. I look forward to trying out a dakka Predator, though sadly those sponson Heavy Bolters aren't twin. I always thought the Predator's Heavy Bolter sponsons looked badass though.

They do look badass!

I had one in 5th edition I think. It did fine work once the Dark Eldar re-work came though. Lots of chewed up Raiders and Venoms from just weight of fire.

Plus if this is true...

quote:

Warhammer 40,000 on Facebook posted:
- Tanks can split their weapons fire between different targets.

All my tank sponsons just got a hell of a lot better.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Strobe posted:

Ohshit I hadn't seen that. Suddenly Baal Predators are even more awesome, between twin Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer sponsons.

Give me the rumble and the thunder. Give me the guns, guns, guns.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's as credible a source as there is

Cool! I've been out of the loop for a while and the idea of GW having a useful and informative presence on social media is strange.

Now if I can find out how Gets Hot changed, I will be pretty pleased. I don't mind the risk but my Leman Russ Executioner did more damage to itself in its debut game than to the enemy.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I can literally drive my Leman Russ closer so I can hit them with my sword 10/10 new edition best edition

First thing I thought as well.

God bless.

Gonna need to bash out a tank commander with a sword...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
It did serve as a reminder to buy some female heads and a Arcadian Guardswomen set from Victoria Miniatures.

I've been wanting to add some diversity to my Guard for ages and I figured a new edition is a good enough time to start the project.

Also the Camo Cloaks look really nice.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
*executes another Guardsmen* and I will continue to improve morale until the Imperial Guard leaks happen.

Though that Mobile Fortress rule for the Battlewagon could bode well for my tanks.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've not gone though all the sheets yet, but did the Vendetta disappear? I see the Valkyrie in the guard but it does not have the options to turn it into the Vendetta.

It may be one of those "wait for Forgeworld" things but I thought everything that currently was in the books was going to get updated.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

my kinda ape posted:

As far as I can tell it is indeed gone. Technically FW are the ones who produce the kit option for the Vendetta so it's probably in their book.

I'm at work so I'm limited in how much messing about I can do with the leaks, but is it possible to point cost them out? I know that some vehicles have a cost without gear attached so could I take a base Valkyrie and add the cost of two sets of twin-linked lascannons?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I took my guard out and played my first game in like 3 years. Woo!

My opponent was a friend of a friend getting his first game of 40k in ever, being an Age of Sigmar player. He was using a friend's Custodians and Sisters of Silence models, as well as some others odds and ends. I gave him my old metal Ordo Xenos inquisitor as his Greyfax kept falling off her base.

Custodians are silly good. They have incredible stats but are super expensive. For all my tanks and guardsmens, He had a grand total of 10 Custodians and 10 Sisters along with 2 Contemptors and a Land Raider (who did nothing). All the Lasguns and Plasma Cannons in the world are not going to save you when you roll 1 to wound constantly.

All those guardsmen will pour rounds into them for a grand total of 1 dead Custodian. The next turn saw a lot more dead Guardsmen.

Here are the MVPs in my book. The humble scout sentinel and his autocannon. They move 9 inchs, have 6 wounds, and the autocannon is a monster now. With each unsaved wound dealing 2 damage, I could see where the autocannon sentinel could be a real terror. The unit felt pretty beefy with the entire 3 man squad having 18 wounds in total. So good.

The plasma sentinels also did well. Plasma guns in general are really solid. The options to fire off a shot at str 7 AP-3 without risk to yourself makes them really solid buys for just about any reason. That AP really matters where as Str 7 seems pretty universally good.

Ok, so not a perfect battle report. We played about 3 or 4 rounds and we were really rusty in general. We were both being super friendly and patient as we both had to stop and consult the leaks or printouts or friends who had a few more games under the belt. I mean I was playing guard in a game with no objectives and I moved my guys up the table just because. It was a friendly game. Still, its easily the most fun I've had playing 40k in a long time. The game feels great.

Major takeaways:

The new to-hit and to-wound system is fantastic. The chart is simplistic and easy to remember. Within a few attack rolls, I knew the basic to-hit for my army. It really sped up combat in general. The AP system will take some getting used to but it clicked pretty easy. Overall, I felt it flowed nicely and both me and my opponent could sail though a shooting turn with ease by the second turn.

The new deployment system is nice. I wish there was some concrete terrain placement rules but that is mostly my Warmachine side talking. I will look into it more.

The new movement system is great. My Chimera moves 12 inches normally. The Sentinels are 9inchs for the scout and 8 for the armored. Everything feels faster and more mobile which makes for a much more interesting game. This game and the game I watched (Salamanders v Tau) felt much more dynamic.

Weapon Balance felt really good. Lots of good dynamics but AP felt like it was in a good place. The fact that I even got to make armor saves as a Guard player was nice. And when I did not, it was for obvious stuff like a Melta-shot or something suitably ridiculous from a Custodian. The everything can wound did lead to the hilarity of my opponent's land raider being more effective with its Storm Bolter and Heavy Bolter shots than its Lascannons when it came to attacking my tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

The Kingfish posted:

I'm definitely gonna pick some up but I was thinking I'd give them autocannons.

I definitely appreciated my autocannon sentinels the other day. The two damage stat along strength 7 is fantastic.

They are fast, hit hard, have decent range, and were surprisingly durable. Pretty cheap too.

I think they are going to be great this edition.

Armored Sentinels were also cool with Plasma Cannons.

• Locked thread