Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, I'm considering getting myself some of those Forge World MKV Assault Marines to stand for Vanguard Vets. Thing is, the weapon loadouts I want for them (dual claws for one squad, hammer/axe&shield for the other) would rack me something silly like £200 just getting the close combat weapon kits for them - the set costs twenty pounds and comes with just one hammer and one pair of claws (and a whole host of other bits, which is cool but less than useful for me). I figured I could get some Anvil Industry shields and axes for the sword-and-board squad - I like the no-nonsense spartan-style round shields - but I'm having less success with locating some lightning claws.

Does anyone know of a good third-party seller who'd sell reasonably priced lightning claw analogues for both hands? Ideally I'd be looking for the old Heresy-era style claws with the fingers elongated into tearing claws, rather than the modern 'Wolverine claws' type lightning claw.

Edit: I'd also be fine with some type of paired blades - preferably something that'd stand apart from plain ole power swords. (I mean, I could use the shitlot of nemesis falchions I have in my bitz box, but I'd like something more exotic). I like the Scibor egyptian khopesh-style swords but those come at two euros apop and I'd need twenty.

Hell, I'm half tempted to just use all the chainswords that come with the FW kit and fluff those as lightning claws..

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

The plastic Vanguard kit has four sets each of thunder hammer/shield and dual lightning claws. There's also some other weapons in there. That's probably your best bet if you don't mind having a bunch of fancy pistols, chainswords, and body parts around.

Alternatively, if you're looking for some variety in the lightning claws, the CSM raptor kit has five pairs. One has the blades as weird growths, but the other four would be useable. They're covered in lightning bolts though.

I'm aware of all the good stuff in Vanguard kits - and have some left over - but iudeally I'd be looking for something that'd fit the MK-V aesthetic a bit more. Older mark stuff than the brand-new kits, you know? Thanks anyhow!

BirdieBedtime posted:

Kromlech is going to be coming out with a heresy lightning claw set soon, I believe, and there's always the 40k warp talon claws.

Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for Kromlech! Was surprised to see they didn't have those already.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Irate Tree posted:

Whomever did the cuts for the Dark Vengeance Chaos Chosen is either a genius or a madman. Seriously, why would you ever split a marine's head in two?

My personal favorite is how the edging on the power first is attached to the dude's shoulderpad via tubes and also comes with the top of the Marine's head attached to said shoulderpad. You'd never believe how well that seam can be hidden.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
X-posting from the miniatures thread,

My latest little conversion project. I've got a lot of stuff I finally finished painting, too, just need to get a proper camera on them!

"I WILL gently caress YOU UP! :black101:"

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

goose fleet posted:

There's one thing I never got, fluff-wise: if the Grey Knights are so secretive and just seeing them or acknowledging their presence is enough to get you killed or mind-wiped, then why the gently caress is their base right next to the central world of the entire Imperium?

Because a Space Marine's concept of 'subtlety' boils down to 'using your second-biggest gun'.

Boon posted:

These are loving awesome.

That is all.

Thank you!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Pre-Heresy/Loyalist Death Guard. Bone-white armor, brownish-green shoulderpads and weapon casings, bronze decals.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of projects, finally finished this dude:

BROTHER-CHAPLAIN TURBOPOPE :black101: THE THIRD is done, save for varnishing and a couple of grass tufts on the soil-y bits of the base. I had way too much building and converting this dude.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DrPop posted:

That is super cool. You don't see a ton of non-terminators with scythes. Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Thank you, glad you like him! I had a ton of fun building the scythe and shield. Looking forwards to painting him!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I did a new thing!

The lighting is kind of poo poo and I need to clean up I know but I wanted to grab a picture before I varnished it. I got a poo poo-ton of dreads from the guy who sold me his extra Marines - I'm going to have a unit of three standard dreads with lascannons (and fists with heavy flamers or missile launchers) and a unit of two venerables with plasma cannons and fists/flamers. Always loved dreadnoughts and now they should be semi-viable.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I visited the mancave last night and snapped 'some' pictures. Apologies for the quality, I had to use the flash and it kind of distorts the colors - I was in a hurry, next time I'll lay them out in the gaming table and see if a more natural lighting won't help.

The Typhon isn't mine, but a friend's - I like the conversion, even if it's a little bit smaller than an 'actual' Typhon.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Thank you!

And yeah, Sicarans are pretty awesome. I have two, one for my Salamanders, one for my DG! They're especially good in turning Eldar and Dark Eldar skimmers into interestingly-colored confetti.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 20, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work - it's just easier with an airbrush or spraycan. If I wanted to go with a 'zenithal priming' method by hand, I'd likely prime the mini black or gray and then drybrush it with a couple of different shades of successively lighter gray and maybe white before actually painting it. You'd have to use very thin translucent coats with the 'actual' paint, of course.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Probably been asked before, but anyone used UK Battlefoam? Looking for stuff to put my 30k in, and KR don't really do 30k tray sets.

Battlefoam are apparently lead by a complete dicksplat, but if you're looking for more generic foams and cases you might try Tabletop Tyrant. They do some pretty awesome fabric carrying cases, at a pretty good price, and they offer a variety of (generic) foam trays to go with them - either the classic socketed types, eggshell foams, or the inch-grid pick-and-pluck trays. I've got four of their cases for various 40K armies, I'm that happy with them.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

GreenMarine posted:

Turning the subject to Onagers...

Because of Field Harmonics (+1 invul for other squadron members nearby) I assume it's best to field them in a single unit? If this means at least one has an anti-air package, is it then best to equip the entire group with anti-air? I wanted one to be anti-air and the other do have an eradication beamer, but this seems like it might mean they work better in separate units doing different jobs.

This got lost in talk about cyborg baby dicks, but definitely play your Onagers in units. The Field Harmonics rule really inreases your survivability - just having two donkeytanks in a unit will essentially protect them like a constant-on set of smoke launchers, and with three? An AV12 vehicle with a 4++ can take a surprising amount of S6/S7 fire before going down.

As for the weapons loadout, I like the anti-air package - certainly the Icarus Array is expensive, but ust one of those things can put out downright hilarious volumes of fire, let alone two or three. Remember that Skyfire does let you fire at skimmers and jetbikes freely - dark eldar in particlar are going to have fits with a trio of Onagers watching the skies. (The Gatling Missile Launcher part on the AA suite is 'only' heavy 5 S6AP4 but Ignores Cover, so light skimmers like land speeders and the like are going to turn into interestingly-colored confetti when you open fire).

Definitely have all models in the squad with the same weapon loadout - havin one model with the AA kit is just going to result in a lot of wasted firepower. Thankfully the ki is easy to magnetize if you want options - the only part shared between different loadouts is the mounting plate for the twin-linked heavy phosphorus blaster and the Icarus autocannons, and the TLHvPB is hands-down the shittiest weapon you can mount on the thing anyhow. Embed a magnet on the face of the drum mount and the back of the mounting plates, and stick another magnet on some greenstuf or a bit of sprue in the drum mount so you can switch between the Icarus missile rack and the round little decorative cap bit.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hmmnnn. SO thanks to ~shenanigans~ I'm going to be trading my Nid collection away for about 250 euros worth of warhammer stuff I get to pick - as in, dude gets my minis, he buys me GW or FW poo poo in return. This'd be a perfect time to pick up some of the stuff I've ALWAYS WANTED - namely, some combinations of Deredeos, Xiphons or a Typhon. Alternatively, some of those coolass Deathshroud Terminators for counts-as hammernators. Gah, so hard to choose...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Takkaryx posted:

Gypsy's eye came from part of a searchlight on Marine vehicles, and the head is a tau crisis suit shoulder with something on the back. I have no idea what Tom Servo is made of, but Crow is a Marine turret copula, necron warrior body and arms, and his head is a necron thigh with a Marine vehicle radar dish. The mug and eyes are probably greenstuff and plasticard.

I'm pretty sure the eyes are a Space Marine Scout visor-goggle-thing, and the mug - it looks suspiciously like one of those beer stein bits that come in the Mantic dwarf boxes.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol my bad. Yeah those drill bits are too small for magnets and and the ones that are won't fit in the pin vice I have(generally I just keep the drill bit in a speed chuck)I've got no experience with huge plastic models needing pinning.

The old metal stuff I use to pin I just used a steady hand and low powered drill.

Late to the magnet chat, but Army Painter makes a pretty nice and affordable pin vise that comes with bits and chokes for four different sizes; 1mm, 1,5mm, 2mm and I think 2,5mm drill bits (it comes with two 1mm bits). I use the 2mm drill bit and buy 2mmx1mm disc magnets (two mils wide, one thick) from this Ebay seller who sells like two hundred of the little fuckers for ten euros. Drill a hole where you want the magnet to go, dab a little bit of superglue in, stick the end of a 'rod' of magnets in there, done.

muggins posted:

I hate magnetizing stuff so this was what I always thought. I would just buy extra kits. But with the prices now...

I don't think magnetizing line trooper-type models is worth it - if I want more special weapon marines I'll just buy a tac box and build a couple more dudes with meltaguns. The more expensive and powerful single models like tanks and the like, though, are a different bird - Predator kits, for instance, are pretty straightforwards to magnetize so it can be anything form a rhino to a razorback/whirly (with a turret swap) to any of the actual predator models, with sponsons or without. Less on the cost saving and more about WYSIWYG for me, but eh.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Not a sergeant, I know. :nyd:

Eeeeeeeeeeee I got a mention!

In actual content, perfect timing - I've gotten a whole bunch of stuff done!

Biker Squad 7, 'Primus':

Devastator Squad 9, 'Echo'

2nd Company Captain Vorador, with Command Squad of handpicked veterans of the 77:

I had a lot of fun painting these guys. Aside from the bikers, most of them are second-hand rescue marines gotten for cheap/free, stripped and repainted; I particularly love the Command Squad and its selection of old metal veterans. These old minis have a lot of character, and the dumpy little ancient Apothecary in particular warms the core of my cold and black heart.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

drgnvale posted:

Those are all quite pleasing to the eye, but the power fists especially stand out to me as looking great.

Thank you! I like how they turned out, too.

Boon posted:

That's a sexy looking army and I want to line up my green and white Eldar with your green and cream Dark Angels and smite some Chaos

They're pre-Heresy/loyalist Death Guard, but let's not tell the Dark Angels that.. :ssh: Slowly working my way towards a full Battle Company!

The Sex Cannon posted:

These guys look great. I especially like the Veterans Squad. Plasma Pistols and Power Axes? gently caress yeah!

Plasma pistols and power weapons look sexy as gently caress - shame they're so drat expensive on the table! Geedubs really needs to discount melee weapons and special pistols.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Uroboros posted:

P.s. - seeing your bases makes me want to debase my entire force, where you get them again?

Those look like Dragon Forge Minis bases. Pretty good stuff with a good variety, though there's a hugeass line - there's only one dude casting them so h's got a bit of a backlog.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I was lucky enough to find a sealed copy of Space Hulk (2014) at my local games store.

I've enjoyed several 40k video games, but this was my first time assembling miniatures. No disasters happened, but I did manage to break off a couple plastic pins and I think I didn't set one arm on a pin quite right because it is slightly wobbly. I didn't want to break a third pin, so I didn't yank it off to try again.

I attached the two pieces with broken pins using glue alone. Should that be OK?

What would a more experienced player do about that and the wobbly arm?

I am concerned simply because the game is so rare. Are the miniatures here unique to Space Hulk, or can I buy an equivalent Terminator if an arm on these doesn't want to stay on with glue alone, or I otherwise manage to gently caress up a mini?

What kind of a glue you were using? Those miniatures are more designed to be permanently assembled and painted - the pins are there just so you -can- put them together without glue, and to help guide the pieces to proper fits.

And the minis are 'unique' to Space Hulk - nothing prevents you from buying a generic Terminator box and assembling the dude with the proper loadout, but he'll be considerably less blingy for it.

Just missing a fitting pin doesn't 'gently caress up' a mini - I'd honestly recommend putting them back together with superglue or poly cement (I recommend the latter, often called just 'plastic glue') for a permanent assembly if you worry that much. Regular 'white' glue like PVA glue won't really take to plastic. (If a bit remains 'wobbly' on the pin you can just pull the bit off, cut the pin, and glue it to a proper fit)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Cool so they can be from different parent troop selections as long as they are combat squads?

Cool way to get two vet sargs with combi melta and two melta guns in one vehicle with two 5 mans with whatever heavy weapon hanging back.

Pendent posted:

"In an exception to the normal rules, two combat squads split from the same unit can embark in the same transport vehicle, providing the transport capacity allows."

Emphasis mine. So no, you can't have two sarges in the same rhino/pod. Basically it just means that a single ten-man squad split into two five-man combat squads can share a rhino or pod - you could have a rhino drive midfield and disembark the combat squad with the sarge and special weapon while the other half-squad with the heavy weapon stays in the rhino providing fire support, etc.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 3, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Pendent posted:

I edited that part back in after making the post. Somehow I missed it with my phone posting

Aaaah, that makes sense. Eh, poo poo happens!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It's been a while - but remember these guys?

Photobombing the first shot, a Techpriest Dominus and a bunch of (magnetized) Kataphrons. I'm aware the focus is hosed up.

But yeah, finally got some work done on these guys! The basic colors are now blocked out and I gave them all a thorough wash with Seraphim Sepia. I'm letting them dry overnight before I start cleaning up and highlighting them. Not pictured, a Forge World Fire Raptor I ended up finally finishing up for them - I gave it a gloss varnish coat earlier and I'll slap it with a matt varnish tomorrow before I start taking pictures.

I'm finally painting again and it feels great to finish up old projects, eeeeee~ :dance:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

You don't need to give washes more than an hour to dry, but they're coming along! I also like how genuinely upset the dude on the right looks.

A choice less to do with enough time for the washes to dry and more with the fact that it was well past midnight here.. I had an actual gigglefit once the washes settled and I could actually see his expression. That's just epic.

Also holy poo poo SRM and Bulbasaur, so much epic stuff done. Properly Orky stuff, and then those dark mechanicus.. I hate how fiddly some of the mechanicus models are with all the antennae and such, but they're awesome!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Kilazar posted:

Did I miss something? I thought the fish had no fire points.

It doesn't, but they can have the 'fish drive up to an enemy squad, jump out, and bhhhrrrttttt for 20 S6AP3 shots at point-blank range. Leaves the squad vulnerable to return fire, of course, but that's what the imbabubble drone is for.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Xposting from the miniatures painting thread:

I visited the mancave last Monday and got some pictures of my recent projects:

Ancient Chuck got himself a new hat a bit back for maximum overkill:

Captain Raziel of the 'Dorn's Fourteenth' Second Company, with his Command Squad

I love these old metal minis, they have huge character.

Senior Captain Garion (counts-as Pedro Kantor) with a three-man Honor Guard

Closeup of the Sr. Cpt himself

The chapter banner is festooned with dozens of names for the various important worlds where vital battles were fought, with a suspiciously placed boltgun hole..

Honor Guard with sword. I like how genuinely upset this guy looks.

I've poo poo things that looked better than you!

Chapter Champion with custom power scythe (used as either a relic blade or thunder hammer, depending on whim and preference)

I WILL gently caress YOU UP! :black101:

And some new entries - some Mechanicum/Mechanicus for a mancave 'house army':

The Thallax turned out properly menacing:

Skitarii rangers with a poo poo-ton of arc weapons:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry. My cellphone takes sillyhuge photos and you'd think imgur would have some sort of an automatic resize-as-you-upload option but nooooo..

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Crossposting from the miniatures painting thread, a mixture of my Death Guard and Mechanicus/Mechanicum:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Miles O'Brian posted:

If they release a combined Ad Mech codex then I am in trouble. The Skitarii, Ruststalkers and the Dominus are gorgeous and the only thing that has kept me strong is the scoffing at the split codex and the lovely Kastelan robots. Now they've released the Start Collecting boxes and I'm finding myself planning out Kastelan conversions so I'm probably hosed.

I found the Kastelans growing on me when I painted the little fuckers.

The eye lenses aren't that bad if you paint them as dark glass or the like instead of the silver plate they have in the official color scheme.

There's also a Russian third-party caster that makes alternate Kastelan heads.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Those are p. good. His ork stuff is also neat. His female models are eurgh.

Ya, I'd steer clear most of that stuff. I just remembered the heads since Kastelans came up..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

If you're doing a diorama, sure. They look kinda tacky on regular gaming models but I've seen some neat dioramas with them.

That shop is a regular feature in the Unspiration thread. I don't know what it is about super talented Russian and Ukrainian sculptors making cheesecake models.

Supply and demand. Sweaty terrible neckbeards all over the world will buy 'em, why not try and get in on that particular pie?

• Locked thread