Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So, sitting here reading a new book! Couple things struck me in the new psychic phase (mad props to whoever made that breakdown of psychic test chances btw, fancy doing a similar one for deny the witch tests?):

Psykers can only manifest witchfire powers out of a transport, if it has the firepoints. No blessings or any other sort of powers out of transports at all. This is a major change if you had, for example, a psyker buffing units out of a wave serpent or chimera. If a psyker is embarked with a unit he actually intends to get out and fight with, and wants to buff them, it isn't such a big deal, since he would disembark in the movement phase before the psychic phase begins.

It specifically states that gone to ground or falling back doesn't prevent psykers using powers. But for some reason it says nothing either way about being locked in close combat? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but that seems ambiguous. I think you can manifest while locked in cc, but the only indirect mention is that it says you can't manifest witchfire powers while locked in cc.

If anyone hasn't got their book and would like to know something, ask away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

parabolic posted:

Am I a bad person if I just like tanks and want to run a whole lot of them? Are there even any other games people actually play with ~28mm scifi tanks?

Well, you are probably a red trouser wearing inbred cavalry type, and you lack the willpower to mount a suicidal bayonet charge (and spend 40 minutes on a single movement phase) but you're not a bad person per se.

As HollisMason said, there are awesome options for tank-heavy armies in the IG book right now. You can play 'unbound' armies and just take tanks but as this is a brand new option in the game, you might want to ask your opponent first. I'd have a think about how/if you would want to model some mechanised infantry as support as well.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Orks are one of my favourite armies to play against and I hope they kick arse. I'm an old enough hand to remember when they were a poorly-supported old-codex army (whatever people say about them now, they have excellent plastic models across most of their range) and it was a massive improvement to the game in my eyes. When I play my IG I love to see an ork or tyranid horde across the table, the game looks really good. Been tempted to start an ork army many times, but honestly I don't think I have the right mindset for non-standard individual vehicles etc.

Gonna paint all day tomorrow and bust out the eldar on sunday! Test the new psychic phase and jink rules.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Awesome Eldar and Thousand Sons Hixson!

I am really interested to see how the new detachment/army guidelines work out. I mean people in my experience have generally accepted allies, they just say at the start of a pick-up game, eg. 'what army are you using?' 'IG with SM allies'. But 2 detachments at 2k was a bit of a rarity. I'm not someone who hates change for its own sake, but just being able to take as many detachments as you want seems like barely a restriction at all. Things like taking 6 HS or whatever other spammable unit (most armies should be able to muster 2HQ and 4 Troops), or taking several allied dets just to gain the right IC special rules. I mean it is almost unbound at this point, with the extra meta-gamesmanship of still getting that sweet super-scoring troops boost.

How good are those new warlord traits? I have been rolling exclusively on the Eldar and IG tables, I think the rulebook traits eclipse the Eldar ones, probably just above or about on par with IG's.

Perplexed to find no datasheets for specific fortifications in the book. Suppose they wanted to boost sales of stronghold assault! I would be quite interested in building some bunkers etc for my guard army. Also there are no rules for posting grenades into buildings or assaulting into buildings or between rooms. I understand that last as it is a bit more trouble than it would probably be worth.

Finally, does anyone have good ideas for combining dark eldar and eldar armies? I like to think of my eldar as corsair types and could definitely convert some hybrid type units. What bugs me is that although I can now put eldar units onto those awesome (assault transport) fying boats, they are all dedicated transports so actually I can't! I'm surprised they kept strengthened the battle brothers rules though, it seems clear to me that netlist/spam type armies are often focussed on combining codex units into deathstars. Things like munitorum priests that are designed to stiffen IG squads being used to pump up SM elites are obviously not intended in the army design and it detracts from the game a bit.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sivores posted:

Since everyone is sharing their models.......

So far this, is the army I have semi-painted, sadly I don't have a fancy camera only my phone but Inquisitor Bismarck and his brother, the good knight Sir Bismarck, stand ready to defend my desk from any threat, also Coteaz with U.N. pdf troopers.

http://imgur.com/a/Igmoy

In the grim darkness of the far future there are only security council resolutions.

Tuxedo Jack, I recommend buying the tank track guards on ebay or from a bitz site, and then magnetising a few dozer blades and all your tank hulls, since you will never really want all your tanks to be rocking dozer blades at once. Not sure if the chimera includes the upgrade sprue, but basilisks definitely do.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh, so Bryan Ansell wrote the rules?

The funny thing is the mullet and vest. The less funny is that that army would probably be about 500 points in WHFB by now. Number of models in an 'average' game has multiplied in both 40k and Fantasy.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
@ LordAba: you sure mate? He's got like 60 infantry in blocks, while every fantasy army I've ever seen played has 100+. I don't know much about the different armies, maybe my assumption was wrong.

Eldar transports: I have also considered taking DE raiders for eldar aspect warriors, but it just seems very restrictive that not only do you have a tax of dismounted DE infantry, you can't start your eldar squad in the transport, negating a lot of the benefits.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

Raiders are not cheap, they have a 4th/5th edition point cost, and unless 7th edition means you can move 12", disembark, and assault, Striking Scorpions and Howling Banshees are still poo poo out of luck.

Wait, wait, wait, I'm missing the big picture: Howling Banshees are always bad. Even if their Banshee masks were fixed they are weak, fragile, and cost too much. This was true even before power weapons were changed from ignoring all armor saves.

On the turn you assault, raider-mounted infantry can move+disembark 12" then assault. So a significant rather than overwhelming benefit. In my mind the real advantage is the flat out fast skimmer move in the first turn to get in position and provide a (thin) ablative layer of protection for the troops. And at best you are delaying that for a turn if borrowing another squad's dedicated transport. And it rather restricts your deployment since you probably want at least a covered position to embark on the transport turn 1.

Looking through the DE codex, I don't really see anything except maybe beast packs and some HQs that I would really use over the eldar equivalents. As I said I would take venoms or raider for some squads, if they were available as dedicated transports.

Really hope FW get their arses in gear and update those corsair rules. Have some jetbikes that would be a lot cooler as corsairs, and there were some other cool options that might actually be playable if they are using current eldar as a baseline.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

AWESOME STEEL LEGION

Congratulations. I am sitting here painting a batch of 20 guardsmen myself. Once I finish them I only have 12 heavy weapon bases and around 10 command squad types to finish.

Then about 60 inquisitorial allies.

Then I should really buy some of the new army boxes, y'see I only have 3x20 men in the line infantry squads and I would like 4x30. And how about a big squad or two of penal legion, Victoria Miniatures sells some good resin models. And the army boxes would let me field 2 full russ squadrons. And some chimeras. And I really want to try out lascannon teams as well, that's another couple of squads . . .

Why the gently caress do I play Imperial Guard? Oh right, because in a galaxy of unspeakable daemonic and xenos horrors, they still issue BAYONETS.

Fix!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AgentF posted:

90 free summoned models by Turn 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMAAP6HWfw

Welcome to 7th Ed.

A terrible hobby filled with terrible people, stamping on a human face forever.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I gather from the chat about conjuration and the poor deny the witch chances, if you take a full psyker army (ie tzeentch daemons) geared to summoning, say 30 or so power dice a turn, you can produce new units reliably every turn with gently caress all your opponent can do about it. I mean that does sound really good, but I can't see it becoming the ultimate super-common default army for wankers. The units you ahve to start with are very specific and you would need a random number of further models in a box sitting ready. I mean in that video of the arseholes the chap with the daemons seems to just be taking random proxy models out of a big tupperware, he doesn't actually have 80 or so spare daemons.

EDIT: it seems like the thing to do against conventional armies that include maybe 1 psyker (for instance eldar with 1 farseer, or space marines featuring a librarian, etc) is pick 1 power they are going to try and get off, and throw your entire deny pool against it and hope to be lucky. Against high numbers of warp dice, you are basically not going to deny, if there is a good power that your opponent's plan hinges on, he can throw a lot of dice at it and just blast through. I suppose in that case the active player does have to eat a perils result, but that won't usually be fatal and may even be shrugged off.

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 25, 2014

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I see your point, what I meant was more that it can't be very popular for tournament play. Much like hordes of orks or IG, even when those have been very good armies to play, fewer people will put up with the inconvenience of how long it takes to play them.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

Content: my brother trolls eBay for deals on warhams all the time

I hate being this guy, but gently caress it, a man can't change what he is:

It's "trawls". Like a trawler is a kind of fishing boat, 'trawling' is dragging a net to pick stuff up.

Sorry again.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

You trawl with a net but you troll with a fishing pole. The boat is in motion for both fishing activities but the gear is different. Nobody says troll though it's always trolling.

" We don't know were the bait fish are today so no mooching, we will be trolling for salmon"

"That commercial fisherman is trawling for shrimp"

(Mooching is fishing with bait while the boat is drifting. Usually over a school of small fish.)

I have learned something new today!

Finished my IG too (more pics in the oath thread).

The 2 new things I tried, painting a power axe and doing rank insignia on the back of helmets, didn't come out as well as I had hoped.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Well, thats it. After 8 years in the 40k hobby, I've finally had enough. 7th edition is the most breakable edition of the game yet, thanks to one loving thing. When I realized you could potentially spew out 60 plaguebearers a turn, thats when I just said gently caress it. Taudar I could handle, even flier spam. But one ETC player arrives in the local meta and it all goes to poo poo. gently caress.

Can I have your stuff?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Raphus C posted:

Really? In the books I read it took hundreds to thousands to pacify the planets on the great crusade. The Primarks were cruising around with a bunch of marines and still got punched in the dick a fair bit.

The marine numbers thing is one of the silliest things in 40k. Disclaimer here, no numbers in 40k make any sense anyway, it's better to just ignore them altogether. Military manning, logistics, force generation etc are incredibly complex organisational tasks. Doing them on a planetary scale, let alone galactic, is just mind-boggling. So never assume anything in 40k ever stands up to scrutiny. Regardless:

Marine numbers are stupid because 1000 men is a meaningless drop in the bucket. Like even in WW2, so a world of lower technology, industrial capacity etc than a significant 40k planet, there were 10s of thousands of tanks and warplanes, and millions of men involved in the war. A space marine chapter, deployed as a single massive unit, would basically wreck poo poo out of a series of battles and gradually lose men to random shots, weight of numbers etc, to the point where they were ineffective or just all dead.

Someone pointed out the logistical 'advantages'. I disagree. Your SM can go without breakfast or frequent resupply (let's not even talk about ammo though, he would need to be pulling a bloody trailer to wreak the devastation marines are described causing in the fluff) but a small army of artificers and engineers are required to maintain his armour. The creation process takes years. Marines need to spend years in high-risk covert special ops before they get full status. Just getting one marine takes decades, 100s of promising recruits lost in attrition, and enormous medical expertise and training resources.

Marines in the background are all super-experienced badasses, but how the hell have they survived that long? Realism wise, high-tech war is bloody dangerous. Not like ancient or medieval times where if hypothetically you were that physically superhuman, immune to disease etc you actually could go through a lot of battles slaying motherfuckers. Even a lucky, skilled and sensible marine will probably get killed in an artillery strike or whatnot before becoming that experienced. And in the books, gently caress, they usually take a few casualties if it's a complete success, and 90% casualties if it's one of those heroic last stand type victories that they usually are. That poo poo just isn't sustainable. To put it another way, a marine and a guardsman both get killed by massive explosions (which seem to be abundant in the 41st millenium) but only one of these costs as much as a loving infantry regiment.

The way that it makes sense for marines to be used is as a sort of SF, as I have seen them described in the books once or twice, decapitating enemy political structures or military commands, doing behind enemy lines poo poo, mission critical stuff. Or as a response to certain alien or daemonic threats that ordinary men are just incapable of facing. Using them as front line troops or the main force in an invasion is just idiotic. Don't even get me started on their appearances as pilots, tank crews, etc.

I do like spergin' bout 40k.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

jng2058 posted:

The trick to understanding Space Marines is that they aren't looking for a fair fight. They don't show up en masse on major battlefields to get ground down by attrition until there's no one left. That's what the Guard is for. The Marines are the ultimate special forces instead. They drop in on you from a drop pod, hit you with a tank force outta nowhere because they had their tanks airlifted in behind your lines. They fuckin' TELEPORT INTO YOUR HQ.

What Space Marines do is figure out, thanks to better tech than Guard get access to and hundreds of years of experience, where exactly to hit you that will hurt the most. And then they do that, blow the poo poo out of your critical supply line, decapitate your best general, and steal your battle plans. And then they pack up and head back to orbit, analyze your wreckage, and do it again. And again. And again and again and again. Meanwhile, tens or hundreds of thousands of Guardsmen are pushing in on your lines, when you're out of ammo, leaderless, and they know where you hid your reserves because they've got your plans.

This is spot on, and it's just a shame that most of the writers of the background just portray them as having no intelligence (in the military or everyday sense of the term) and charging in and mostly getting killed while taking out a bunch of chumps along the way. Obviously 40k is fantasy in space etc. But no SM missions, as published by GW, ever make sense.

One of the best bits of 40k poo poo I ever read was a short story by Dan Abnett called (I think) The Fall of Malvolion. Tyranids invade a planet en masse, it all goes down in a day, this terrified fleeing guardsman sees some SM drop pod in, they kick arse, kill some monsters and a load of bugs etc. Then they all get slaughtered pretty quick, because they are a hundred guys trying a stand up fight against a planet-spanning army of nids. It is a good, well-written story and very good tyranid characterisation. But what was the marines' plan? Were they just going to drop onto the planet and kill every tyranid on the surface with their bolters? The fighting wasn't on a key objective or anything, just a point on the evacuation route.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Speaking of changes, can anyone find a rule in the book to suggest that skimmers are destroyed if they are immobilised after moving flat out? This was a rule previously but appears to be gone now (as would make sense, since moving flat out no longer grants skimmers any protection benefit)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Boon posted:

Honest assessment; you're group sounds like a bunch of douchebags and you sound like a pushover.

To sum up in pictures:
You:

Them:

What needs to happen:

Haha, what film is this? The three pictures tell quite a story by themselves.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Boon posted:

It's from the TV show Fargo. Which I highly recommend (and is based in the same world as it's movie namesake)

Thank you! Genuinely going to watch that on the strength of that little storyboard.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks like they wimped out and used lots of not-yellow.

It's . . . it's beautiful.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Had a 3-person mini-tournament at Warhammer World today, came in second but got to see Mechanicum (the winning army) in person for the first time.

I have played apocalypse on that table, and honestly we found it quite hard to manage. In retrospect I should have booked one of the flatter ones. That density of buildings is actually really hard to play on in a game as crowded with models as warhammer.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

This is a little further back, but I'm adding my vote - tell this guy to get hosed. Both lists are him trying to cover all his bases (which is noble enough, mind,) but doing it in the most obnoxious way possible. List 1 reads "Remove one of my opponent's units that is not a heavy tank per turn, and kill any tanks that wander into range." List 2 is "kill any tanks that wander into range, never give up my objective while gunning down units, and murder any and all infantry."

I mean, if you're running goddamn Genestealers this dude is being a son of a bitch. You take a Wyvern pair and Pask with a Punisher in IG lists that are loving working hard to win the game, and he's bringing them in at 750 points. The lists are way too optimal for "low power," essentially.

I think you're exaggerating slightly. Pask squadron is a very extreme unit and that should be toned down at 750 pts. But when you are describing melta vets as 'kill any tanks that wander into range' and blobs as 'never give up my objective while gunning down units' - with the implication that using these units is unfair - it comes off as a bit much. Do you think all IG players should use single infantry squads with grenade launchers unless playing in hardcore competitive games? Again, I agree about the pask thing, it is just a bit of a heavy unit for 750 pts, like bringing a deathstar. But you can't just ban everyone with units that you consider good. 2 wyverns is 130 pts, hardly an extreme level of spam.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

At low points values, and lower power levels, you have fewer options and fewer extra mobs. You're in for a rough time.
The problem is, like I say above, this is lower points values and lower levels. 2 Chimeras filled with 3 Meltaguns isn't unfair in a more powered up game, or at higher points values. But if this guy is running double Melta Vets, and his opponent wanders in going "ah, I'll just bring my single Leman Russ/Predator/Whatever," those Melta Vets will handle it pretty easily. Same deal with blobs - they're perfectly legit normally, and I wouldn't call them unfair. But if your opponent is setting down Genestealers, and you set down your blob and go "alright, I'll order my 4 Autocannons and all my Lasguns to have Ignores Cover," it's not really a good time for your opponent.

Once again, I don't think the units are overpowered normally - it's that at lower points costs, and especially when people agree to a lower power level, that's it's wrong. It's not even that I would want to ban them - just tell the dude to replace the Wvyerns with a Hellhound and the like, so the other players can have a better time and he still gets to roast infantry by the handful.

I see your point, but there is a very fine line for the imperial guard, given their emphasis on shooting and quantity over quality. Either they pack enough firepower to stop the opposition (not much fun for the opponent) or they get overwhelmed immediately in close combat. I think if your other players are prepared for him, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for him to bring a good army. Pask can still get drop-melta'd like any other tank, wyverns will drop off against armour saves, vehicles and/or full 2" spacing. I would let him play a game or two before stepping in. Of course, if all the other players are spending 100 pts on power fists and plasma pistols for their sergeants, that's a different kettle of fish.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sistergodiva posted:

Anything wrong with them except shipping times? I have already ordered, but I'm not really in a hurry.

Ah poo poo, I just ordered a model from Wayland Games via ebay. Maybe I'll be lucky and it will be fairly prompt.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Master Twig posted:

I hate look out sir. Especially with independent characters.

There's a guy at my FLGS that runs a squad with Coteaz (T3), Brother Corbulo (T4), Draigo (T5) and Mephiston (T6). If Mephiston gets Iron Arm, which he usually does, shooting at the squad counts as T9, since they're all different and it goes to the highest on a tie. If the shot is strength 7 or less, he look out sirs all wounds to Corbulo, who feel no pains it away on a 2+. S8 or S9, he puts it on Draigo for an invuln. T10 it goes on Mephiston. With Psychic Power shenanigans it's almost impossible to kill that squad. Basically, I just ignore the squad and try to kill everything else on the field.

First, don't play that guy. Don't even talk to him or make eye contact. He is dead to you.

But, I think that's cheating: ICs joining each other and LoSir-ing onto each other I'm unsure about, but I'm 99% sure you cannot attach ICs to a unit that always consists of 1 model, ie Mephiston (he isn't an IC himself). Does anyone who's more current know anything about this?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
That IG army is great, but could end up being a bit awkward if you ever come to the attention of the police!

I had my first game in 7th edition rules last night, also the first (maybe 2nd?) time I have ever played against modern necrons. I eventually lost 16-10 on the 'Capture and Control' maelstrom of war mission, 1850 pts. Prepare to be bored about it:

- I found the new super-random tactical objectives more fun than I expected. I can see why the idea pissed people off, neither of us had psykers and both of us, at one point, rolled the kill a psyker objective, and basically whether you gained points in a given round was more due to what objectives you rolled than anything else. But it at least kept the game fluid and very turn was a 'how can I achieve my obj' rather than the traditional 40k missions, which as I discussed with my opponent have always been pounding the enemy to poo poo for 4 turns and then moving onto a position. We both rolled on the tactical warlord traits and I consider this a pretty sound strategy as you may not find x or y game bonus useful, but the tactical objectives will always matter.

- My army was pretty rounded, even now I only just have enough fully painted stuff for an 1850 IG list. 3 small infantry platoons with a commissar or priest in each, flamer PCSs, 2 HWSs, aegis line with quadgun, then 2 basilisks, 1 manticore, 1 leman russ, and led by a 2 executioner tank comd squadron. Because of his army (see below) I wish I'd chosen a slightly nastier or more extreme list!

- As I often seem to do (I never learn) I had taken up the first opponent offering, one of the other club-goers was literally whispering to me about how terrifying a player he was. Whatever, I like to compete and it's the best way to learn the rules. He was actually a good sportsman, a bit of a cave dweller but not in a bad way. Excellent player in terms of micromanagement and achieving maximum objectives. Really learned a lot in a short period about the 7th edition rules and game types.

- But, his army was just built to piss me off. It was a very clever use of the new rules and necron rules meshing in unexpected ways. He took: Imotekh, a lord with every upgrade on a command barge, 4 ghost arks all full of warriors with a cryptek, 3 annihilation barges. All the AV13-until-first-pen. So very hard for most of my army to get through. The clever bit is Imotekh made it night fighting, so 3+ jink saves, with snap firing being something he didn't care too much about. My army struggled to harm those super tough vehicles. Especially because, Imotekh strikes your army with lightning, which was very good the whole 4 turns (!) it lasted, and killed my manticore and both HWS outright in the 1st round! Gutted.

- Given this luck, Imotekh's really excellent buff and lightning killed a hell of a lot more over the next rounds, I held equal on points through the 3rd round, then in 4th I got nothing with a bad draw and he took 6 points. The rest of the game was mopping up as I didn't have the force to stop him achieving obj. Even so, 16-10 wasn't too bad - I took 3 points in turn 7 just by a decent draw and careful movement with like 3-4 shredded units.

- In retrospect I would have been much better off ignoring the annihilation barges and hitting ghost arks all game. I shot them first thinking to knock out his firepower units - maybe sound in a traditional obj game but not with tactical obj. Live and learn. Even then, that manticore would have been a real game-changer had it lived.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think that colour scheme will look good when/if darkened by a heavy wash.

List Chat: I might be playing in a 1650pt tournament next week, what do people think of this IG list?:

Tank Commander Pask– Leman Russ Punisher – multimelta sponsons, dozer blade – 235
Leman Russ Exterminator – multimelta sponsons, dozer blade – 155

Company Command Squad – Master of Ordnance – 80
Chimera – multi laser, heavy flamer – 65

2 Commissars – 50
Ministorum Priest – 25

Tempestus Scions – 2 melta guns – 90

Platoon Command Squad – missile launcher – 45
Infantry Squad – plasma gun, autocannon – 75

Platoon Command Squad – 4 flamers – 50
Infantry Squad – melta gun, power axe – 75

Leman Russ Demolisher – 170

Aegis Defence Line – quad gun – 100

Total: 1650

All I would need to do is bang some paint on the scions and build some leman russ sponsons. Things I am unsure about: what tanks with what weapon options to go for, are my basilisks and manticore worth considering? I've decided against using HWSs as they are just too fragile. Considering dumping the CCS chimera as being unnecessary when the squad can just hide at the back. I added the scions for mobility as much as anything else, needed to score objectives. As pitiful as they are I am even considering scout sentinels for the same reason. The army needs to be able to put some scoring/linebreaking units out there.

I have no doubt I can put together a harder army and do better with my Eldar, but I'm not feeling them as much these days.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
The use of plastic GW scenery is common to a lot of the tables at warhammer world. It lets them achieve a really impressive level of detail, more than almost any scratchbuilt terrain, but obviously it would be completely ridiculous if not available straight from the source. Just thinking about the retail price of those materials makes me sweat.

AbusePuppy posted:

Pask wants to be toting Heavy Bolters most of the time; you could argue for a Lascannon on the hull in case he needs to shoot a tank, but I prefer HBs all around. MMs are nice on certain frames, but I wouldn't go with them on his- they just aren't multifunctional enough. The Exterminator is probably fine, although to be honest I prefer pairing him with an Executioner (with HB or Plasma sponsons) to get maximum utility from his abilities.

I don't think the CCS is gonna do all that well for you. They're basically just gonna get blasted early due to being no tougher than other Guardsmen, but a more obvious target. Master of Ordnance is neat, but for the total price of that squad you could just take a "real" artillery piece.

I don't get your Infantry Platoon setups- you're basically just running a bunch of dudes on foot with relatively short-ranged weapons. I can't imagine they will fare well against the hailstorm of Bolters and other guns that will get pointed at them. You've also got a bunch of Priests/Commissars to buff them, which is usually good, but for small units like that I can't imagine it's going to be a huge help (who cares if four guys fail morale?) I would consolidate them into two Platoons total and try and make them more focused- get one blob that is all Power Axes and Meltabombs and have them rush forward like the suicidal dorks they are while another Autocannon (or Lascannon) blob hangs back and shoots away. (Depending on your meta, Plasma may or may not be useful there.) Platoon Commands are usually pretty suicidal- an Autocannon isn't awful for them,but Missile Launchers never impress me.

The Demolisher, sadly, is not very good. Pick any variant that isn't Ordance and you'll get a lot more use out of it. (Don't worry if the barrel is wrong, most people don't know the difference between any of the Russes anyways. Call it a Nova Cannon or something and you're probably fine.)

Your Scions aren't bad, but they would benefit a lot from either a transport (i.e. Vendetta) or having an Inquisitor along to bring some Servo-Skulls to make them more accurate in their arrival. Scout Sentinels with Autocannons are pretty decent little units, although I'm not sure I would go for them with as few mid-size armored targets as you currently have.

The Manticore is still a very acceptable player in an IG list and he can be hilariously effective against Knights, Wave Serpents, and some of the other "favorite" lists right now due to the stats on the main gun. (Remember, you can only declare Jink when you are the target of an attack, so guys getting clipped by a template can't try and dodge.) Basilisks are okay, but a tad fragile overall- still, they shred MEQs like nobody's business. The Wyvern is currently quite in vogue and it's an absolute beast against infantry targets of all types, plus it's fairly cheap- but like the other artillery tanks, it's almost hilariously easy to destroy.

You could consider swapping the Defense Line (and some extra points) for a Vendetta, but depends on how much you are concerned with general utility vs. specific anti-air. For a list like yours, the Quad Gun is still pretty alright (remember Commissars and some other IG officers are BS4.)

Thankyou for the feedback. I will take the advice and go for heavy bolters all round on the tank squadron, and maybe an executioner as the other leman russ (I have all the bits magnetised).

The CCS I have in there for orders - I dispute that I should just get artillery instead, the MoO isn't 80 pts, he's 20 on top of 60pts I am happy to pay for orders. Personally I find that unit relatively survivable as I just stick it right at the back behind LoS-blocking terrain.

The story with the infantry is basically I am building up to 30 man squads, but I haven't got the models yet. I realise this is a bit of a weak point, especially for the squad that is supposed to advance with melta guns, but there's not much I can do. I will see if I can scrape up some spare models and go 30-30 rather than 20-20-20.

Scions are deep striking of course, personally this is one bit of the list I have no doubt about, it's the best use for them in my eyes and gives an effect not much else in the army can do.

Have to keep the quad gun since I have no vendetta, what I will look at doing is changing tank types, rearranging the infantry and squeezing a manticore back in.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So after some feedback from Abusepuppy (thanks) and thinking about it a bit, I am taking the following list to the tournament tomorrow:

Imperial Guard:
Tank Commander Pask– Leman Russ Punisher – 210
Leman Russ Exterminator – 130

Commissar – 25
Ministorum Priest – 25

3 Scout Sentinels – autocannons – 120

Leman Russ Executioner – 155

Manticore – 170

If I remember the draft I posted correctly, I essentially combined 3 small Pl into 2 medium sized, took out a Scions squad and bunged a Manticore in as well, after cheapening the leman russes a bit. Oh, and I took out the chimera for the command squad - I think I will be better off hiding the tiny squad behind terrain than having them in a fragile vehicle. I wouldn't say it's a super great list, it's a bit of everything and I am reduced to taking sentinels and suicidal scions as my only units that can really get straight to the other side of the table. But I'm happy enough with it. In the friendly games I've played Pask is a pretty versatile beast with that set-up, I have some infantry to hang on doggedly in cover, and some other pretty deadly vehicles.

Just painting the Scions and some command bods tonight. Spent time earlier in the week doing my first commissar and priest, really happy with how the metal models turned out - very characterful sculpts, I love the 40k craziness a priest brings to my otherwise quite subdued IG force. Gonna make a real effort to inject some more colour into these other character types.

Tournament report to follow on Sunday.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Maybe from the huge (and ridiculously expensive) base system forgeworld did for the Anphelion Project book. Can't remember the name, I don't think they make it anymore.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Sorry, missed this bit:

AbusePuppy posted:

Looking pretty good there. The only super-minor thing I would change: swap the Executioner into Pask's unit and have the Exterminator run solo. You really, really want the reroll on Gets Hot! to prevent your tank from setting itself ablaze (which is far too easy to have happen otherwise.) I would feel bad without sponsons on them, but that's more a personal thing because I love the hell out of sponsons; you can probably do fine without them.

Cheers - I agree about the re-rolls and will try it out that way. Actually sponsons are an idea I really want to try out, but I haven't bloody made any! I starting building my tank conversions before the current codex. I have all the hull/turrets magnetised, even dozer blades, but haven't even assembled any sponsons. It's on my very long hobby to-do list. I think plasma sponsons are a drat good choice for an executioner as long as there's some chance of re-rolls, and on the non-blast tanks multi-meltas and heavy bolters both have things to be said for them.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I have attended my first (singles) 40k tournament, and it went a bit better than the last doubles tournament I went to (sorry ineptmule). Battlefield Birmingham 6, and I eventually came 14th out of 28. Won 2, lost 2, drew 1.

Here is the set-up of game 4, where I managed to beat Tau despite getting seized on - I was probably so far down the ladder by game 4 that I was playing opponents as bad as me, which is why I won the last 2 and finished on a high.

I was very flattered to be nominated for best army, and laid my lads out with the other 3 nominees:

But the prize was awarded to these very colourful orks.

As much as I love the Bad Moons colours, and obviously so do other people, I thought the best technically painted was these eldar, not a good picture so it's not as apparent:

Who kicked my rear end into the ground in game 1. Absolutely wiped the floor with me. I had bad luck. Wave serpents are more fun when they're mine.

Game 2 - chaos allied to crimson slaughter, 4 heldrakes (!) and summoned demons. Bit of a mindfuck given it was only my 3rd game of 7th ed rules and the first time playing against summoning. Drew in the end, I thought at first I could out-plan him on objectives, but the heldrakes killed so much I barely had anything left. The surviving heldrakes hovered to contest objectives at the end, I killed 1 but the other got him the draw.

game 3 - Blood angels drop pods, he got right in my face, I probably didn't deploy that well to stop him and he beat me well enough. 6 death company with a reclusiarch walked through a silly amount of shooting (not great luck) and killed 24 guardsmen in 1 combat phase.

Game 4 - Tau, pretty good but not great list or general, as stated above I beat him handily despite his seizing initiative. Only some good saves on broadsides/riptide kept him from being tabled, all he had was 1 wound left on his riptide at the end of turn 6. Happy.

Game 5 - Crimson fists, chapter master on bike shield/hammer etc, land raider w/terminators, 2 vindicators. Pretty conventional, I was very happy with my deployment and tactical decisions, wiped the floor with him. My opponent was a real sad-sack (the only one of the whole tourney for me) who literally sat and sighed after it was apparent he'd lose - he resigned on turn 4 even though you lost tournament points for that. Sulky, non-responsive etc. He had his wife sitting at his table for the whole tournament (both big fat people) and it was just a bit depressing. Apparently he's notorious as a sullen loser. I was just glad to finish on a high, and if he can't take a joke, gently caress'im.

Overall, really great time. Loved seeing my close combat blob, after being misused and abused for 3 games, do awesome in the next 2, butchering tau and holding/killing marines. Laugh (for me) of the tourney, Pask punisher killed the shield eternal chapter master (on his own) in 1 round of shooting. My dickbag opponent was obviously so gutted.

Tournaments are fun, I must go to more!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
That Slaanesh list Lord Thrust posted is a big improvement. 1 of the lists I played against on saturday was that sort of set-up: castled havocs behind an ADL, obliterators coming in. Rounded out by summoned daemons (in this case played by your allies. It worked really well, admittedly he had 4 heldrakes at 1650.

Question about IG poo poo. My army has a lot of infantry, and I am trying to specialise down the other components of the army.
-I am using currently a 30 man squad with meltaguns, power axes and a priest. Really happy with this atm, does anyone have tips on other good characters to put in? I was thinking of an inquisitor with rad grenades. Too much at 40pts, 70 with psyker upgrade? Azrael is a big commitment given the requirement for other DA allies, but short of that I wouldn't mind adding characters.
- Also using 30 man squad with plasma guns/autocannons, not as keen on that. Seems expensive for what it does - sit in cover. Thinking of 20 men with just lascannons, as plasma guns are often out of range. Still keeping the commissar obviously.

- Pretty happy with tanks, going to keep experimenting with squadron setups. Was so very happy when Paskisher wiped an unwounded chapter master on bike off the board in one round, love that guy. Does anyone have any good examples of leman-russ heavy lists backed up by dismounted infantry?

- Stormtroopers, or scions. Allied in with Militarum tempestus? Seems almost a waste of an allies slot, all they get over the obscene amount one gets in the AM codex is some good orders for their command squad. I really like at least 1 drop melta squad in any list though.

- Assassins. Anyone seen the new data slate and have any comments? All of them seem interesting but situation dependant to me, not sure if they are all-round usable enough for competitive play.

- Inquisition in general. Are there any frequent uses of henchman units, rather than attached IC hqs in tournament lists? I know it's more of a casual idea, but I could make such a gnarly assault unit to go in a land raider, or a very plasma-filled foot squad, perhaps in some sort of fortification?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Squifferific posted:

Mind posting the full list you used?

Tank Commander Pask– Leman Russ Punisher – 210
Leman Russ Exterminator – 130

Commissar – 25
Ministorum Priest – 25

3 Scout Sentinels – autocannons – 120

Leman Russ Executioner – 155

Manticore – 170

Basically I felt the sentinels weren't worth it (I knew already, but I felt I needed something for linebreaker), neither was the ADL or the way I used my stand-back infantry blob. I would also be inclined to go all-tanks or all-artillery for my support.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
A few things on that list:

If your opponent is running a pretty hard list like that against you, there will be problems.

Command squad, fine, the main issue is your plan for it - are there infantry units heavily equipped enough for it to be giving orders to? I didn't even give mine any weapons last time, as it is better off out of LoS. Why offer your opponent the warlord point?

Lord Commissar, why are you taking him? His combat ability is negligible against an army like chaos, so a regular commissar gives your squad the same morale benefit for 25 pts.

Infantry: Here is where I disagree with your list. What do you envision using krak grenades for? Because they seem limited use against this kind of opposition. Why flamers and grenade launchers? What you need is plasma, or to a lesser extent melta, to do wounds to high T targets. Autocannons are ok, consider lascannons as well.

Vendettas are fine.

Tanks - never take weapon upgrades on a leman russ or demolisher, because the turret weapon is ordnance they can only snap fire those hull weapons when firing the turret. Overall the ordnance ones are considered less useful, and this is certainly the case against the targets you are describing. Consider punishers or exterminators instead. Maybe a demolisher to double out his spawn. Do not run them in a squadron, you are giving up flexibility and exposing yourself more to enemy fire for no benefit.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Everybody is taking pyskers these days but nobody seems to take the cullexis. I'm thinking about taking one just for fun next weekend.

The bugger is out of stock on the GW site! I have an eversor, just bought a Vindicare on ebay. Will but callidus and culexus as soon as the latter is available. I am very excited they made the assassins proper scary again and would love to take all 4 in an apocalypse game.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Seconding priest + conscripts, it is just way easier than trying to kill invisible things. Even better, kill what's casting Invisibility. I know that's Be'lakor, but like any unique hardass, he is a big target. Just snap shoot a gently caress load of stuff at him and when he's dead that's it.

Why not take a culexus over a vindicare? Vindicare's problem is a hard time dealing with the combination of invisibility, multiple wounds and invulnerable saves. A culexus may stop psychic powers going off in the first place, especially if you go first.

Forget 'trying' to get a specific warlord trait. It's a 1/6 chance, not something to plan on. If you need to kill back field camping unit, I would take artillery.

I do think your changes are good so far, but things like grenade launchers and lord commissars - you shouldn't really be taking that sort of thing against Bel'akor, heldrakes and a kitted out lord+spawn. You need to talk to your friend about the different approach you're both taking IMO.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Squifferific posted:

Glad it worked out. I've had a Master of Ordnance whiff three times in a row before landing a direct hit on the squad next to the one he was aiming at, wiping them out. It's super random, but for 20 points it's hilarious.

I completely agree. Good against vehicle heavy armies as well. As you say, it's 20 pts on a squad which will not (in a footslogging army) be in any way inhibited by using him. Even if he kills a model or two, it's not a dead loss, and sometimes he just fucks poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

SRM posted:

40 is a lot to deal with, just for you as the person playing. 30 is the right balance between durability and maneuvering in my experience. You'll want a Priest or Commissar with them too, since you don't want 40ish dudes just up and running. Commissars also help with leadership, which makes them better for a unit you want to use orders on. If you're going to put autocannon teams on the backfield squad, you might as well give them plasma guns too - they'll be shooting lots of S7 fire every turn that way. At the very least give them grenade launchers for the extra S6 shots or S3 small blasts that take forever and don't do anything. I feel with IG if you can take a neat gun, take it, with the exception of officers.

I agree that 30 is the right size, it covers an insane amount of ground when fully spread out. I am also going to experiment with just 20 for squads that I know are going to sit back and not try for forward objectives. Every blob absolutely should have a commissar or a priest. I am not so sure that plasmaguns are worth it on backfield squads, 15 pts is a lot if you are unlikely to get in rapid fire range. But I do strongly agree with the maxim that the only upgrade IG armies should take is weapons, and every soldier that can carry a special/heavy weapon should have one. (exception is CCSs, who can just hide instead)

• Locked thread