Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

I know that when I want advice about getting back into a game, the people I want to hear from are the people who don't play and aren't interested in said game

Despite 20 years of playing this terrible game I shouldn't post about it because I'm not in denial about its current state or looming future state. Gotcha.

Encouraging people to spend their money on a game that may not be recognisable and armies that may not exist in a few months is a real dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

but it's not clear what will change and how much

This alone is enough is enough reason to not encourage people to get into 40k right now.

quote:

The biggest problem Games Workshop has with their rules right now, outside of core issues in the ruleset, is that they are extremely reluctant to issue errata or changes to their published rules

poo poo like this helps, too.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Ghost Hand posted:

Its similar to the GW is going to be sold/purchased. It may EVENTUALLY come true - and those people who have stuck with that argument for the last 15 years will then say "I CALLED IT!" or "I TOLD YOU SO!".

You sure showed the zero people itt who were saying that.

Ghost Hand posted:

I KNOW this is not the "End Times" (I suppose based on how you want to define it)

What does this even mean?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Selling a miniatures game without miniatures is a cool and good move and peak GW.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

mango sentinel posted:

Depends on the pricing.

Is it free? If not, then:

TKIY posted:

This is a terrible, terrible move.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Lot of mental gymnastics to justify lovely rules itt.

LingcodKilla posted:

That's the most amount of words I've even seen to give reason to why a lovely army needs to stay lovely and not get any perks that might actually improve it.

Holy poo poo, a LCK post I agree with. 2017 is hosed up.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I'm the individual Necron neck pieces (Neckrons?).

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Individual. Neck. Pieces.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Thundercloud posted:

Well I've put that pic on the hellscape that is dakka.

The way these idiots go at each other will never not be funny.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Fine. Let's say that the green stuff(just happening to be visible in multiple different spots where it's obvious something has been smoothed out with green stuff...something GW doesn't do anymore, since they do CAD sculpts rather than hand sculpts) is really just compression artefacts.

Explain the two different colored bits of plastic? The legs themselves are one color, the feet are another. And if you look close, you can actually see the sheen from a glue join on the knee with the "stormcast greave" bit where it looks like someone shaved the 'arch' from another kit and attached it to this model.
Explain the fact that the boltgun is the one from the Devastator Sergeant, attached to the back of a bolt pistol with the revolver magazine from the Techpriest Dominus' Luminagen Pistol mashed on top of it?
The forearm holding the Bolt Pistol is the Clavis from a Deathwatch Watch Master. I built several of them and know that bit well. They removed the dataspike bit and added a pistol hand in lieu of the standard arm.
Also, look at the torso. It appears to be part of a Centurion model(specifically torso part #6), cut down and mated to something else for the gorget. You can also again see what appears to be green stuff cabling underneath of it.
The pack looks to be from a Mark IV plastic.

And really, the only thing he blacks out is whatever's mounted on the backpack?

Call it whatever you want, I'm calling bull.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

loving lol

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I'm the dude who just got back into 40K and asked if his new Tau codex would still be good, hours before this dropped.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

quote:

The Pear of Anguish was used during the Middle Ages as a way to torture women who conducted a miscarriage, liars, blasphemers and homosexuals. A pear-shaped instrument was inserted into one of the victim's orifices: the vagina for women, the anus for homosexuals and the mouth for liars and blasphemers.

Stay classy, GW.

edit: Goddamn Games Werkshop, trolled again.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

SteelMentor posted:

They got a Trivumulate set of characters and a mixed Ynnari faction with some pretty alright rules.

Nothing too horrendous.

*cough*Soulburst*cough*

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Warpath: Firefight handles mishaps by allowing the opponent to redeploy the unit within 12" of the target point. It's a good compromise between no risk and ohgodmyunitisdestroyedthankyoudice.

In Epic: Armageddon, units never scatter but each takes suppression on a roll of a 1, which works great in the context of that game.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress that too. I'm already paying for the Deep Strike by paying points for the models and not being able to assault for a turn. I don't need the extra randomness on top of it

:ssh: In FF you can assault the turn you deep strike.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Most of the units I Deep Strike with in 40k can too :)

Most? Good for you, you must be real proud :)

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

But he works for GW, so he knows better than you

Still reckon he's a Carl alt.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

Awww poo poo. They also both regularly wear hats :tinfoil:

I refuse to believe that more than one person can consistently hold such terrible opinions.

edit: poo poo

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Was that in the middle of battle cannon probability chat? Cause I skipped like 5 pages there.

I think I figured out what I don't like about the Nurgle stuff and the newer GW aesthetic in general. There's not really a lot of room to customise or convert anything. In addition to being so busy they have all this extraneous detail built in to the sculpt. Kinda like how they went through that period of not drawing anything that wasn't represented by or posed like a miniature you could buy.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Why the gently caress would I want this?

Over this?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

mango sentinel posted:

1) as discussed that one unit is WILDLY atypical because AoS has no baked in transport rules

2) you can get the later for AoS

Ok, is this a more acceptable example of "why the gently caress would I want this"?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I can hack the formatting in the 40k example, ugly as it is, it's more that I need one page per unit of my army, and many of my rules are such that my opponent will need them explained.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Safety Factor posted:

Somewhere, a ham is weeping as he rips the powerfists off of his lovingly painted army and replaces them with bare plastic arms holding thunder hammers.

Remember when the switched the stats of spinefists and fleshborers for no reason? Good times.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
It's a sad day when I'm turning -to- a MWG bat rep because the other guys are too fuckin' awkward to watch.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Irate Tree posted:

My humble submission

:heysexy:

Shows how far gone this thread has become that this post went without comment, let alone nomination.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Played a game last night and we had a hard time understanding the cover rules. It reads to us like you only get cover if you're in it, but not behind it. Is that right? Like, if I'm shooting through a wood youn don't get poo poo but if you're COMPLETELY inside it (and infantry) you do?

Also, if I've got a 20 man squad behind LoS blocking terrain but one dude is visible, can my opponent theoretically wipe out all 20 with a single salvo of good shooting due to that one dude?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

chutche2 posted:

And also only if you're infantry.

If you're not infantry, you can be in woods and 50% obscured by a building and get cover, but the building by itself and the forest by itself doesn't do anything.

And if by some LoS miracle only a cupola my dudes are visible behind a wood, can my whole unit take wounds/be killed?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Yeah, and I don't see how one is harder to work out than the other, since you're just drawing a straight line.

Edit: ^^^^ Sssh, no snark. You don't want to be accused of hating the game now. ^^^^

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I agree with you that sight to the squad that's entirely obstructed by cover should provide a cover save. Enough so that discussing it with your local playgroup would be something worth looking into.

Yeah, but then you run into the problem of house-ruling the game and limiting your options outside of your group. Mine were talking about making each phase alternating activations, since it's more or less how the Fight phase goes and tends to make other games more enjoyable. But the house-rule rabbit hole goes deep.

Mantic are encouraging house-rules and reporting the more successful ones back for future FAQs/errata. If GW had a similar mechanism I'd be down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Go nidzilla. I'm toying with building an Epic UK-esque brute swarm.

• Locked thread