Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So I have just started playing this and it's like Red Orchestra tanks had a baby with WoT and I quite like how it plays. Naturally I am going for glorious USSR tanks to being with.

The T-34 is just hilarious fun as you can just armor troll the poo poo out of everyone you meet as you slam 76.2mm rounds into thier Nazi poo poo boxes. Just ask Shanakian how many 6 to 10 kill games I got :v: The leap from T-50 was a bit painful however as that 45mm stops cutting the butter at that level.

Is it just me or is money not at all a concern for this game even without premium? I have not been tracking my spending at all and have been amassing cash steadily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Actually on the topic of the Su-122, how effective is flinging HE at fools once you get to that caliber?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

What's the best shell type for dealing with lightly armored things like the Marder3? I hear it's Shrapnel, but it seems no better than APHE for my 76.2mm Russian guns.

Also the Su-122 loving owns and slam dunking fools in the turret to oneshot them through thier roof armor is awesome. We don't need no drat anti tank rounds! Just more HE! :ussr:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

The KrautV-1 talk some pages back convinced me to get one and oh man is that thing great. Probably the first tank I've used where it actually feels like you've got a good amount of protection.

Have you played the low end T-34s?

The 1940 model is perhaps the best at this with it's low BR of 2.7, where just about everything at that level will struggle to penetrate you in my experience. I've had matches with like 4 tanks all wailing on me at the same time for no effect. The '41/'42 at 3.3BR is not quite so well placed but can often pull off the same kind of stunts as long as you are angling your enemies towards your 11 and 1. Personally speaking my "fun time" lineup is the T-34 '40, '41, Gds. '41 and '42, as this seems to put me at an optimal point where everything I face can be fired on effectively yet will struggle with my armor in return. Plus at low levels the pubbies are dumber than usual.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_of_the_Fatherland_Day

Where's my loving holiday discounts Gaijin?!?!:argh:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Right here fucker:
http://warthunder.ru/ru/news/11180-akciya-zashitniki-otechestva-ru
it's the same thing as the Gladiator event except renamed, and also no reference to the circled star decal lol

Also you can buy this pack which is a combination of the Lagg and Guards starter packs with a $2 discount :shrug:
https://online.gaijinent.com/story.php?title=War-Thunder_Defenders-Advanced-Pack-4

That's pack I bought before as it was cheaper, I was wanting the "victory is ours" pack to be on sale :negative:

Bit the bullet and bought the latter anyway, also spent some eagles on getting the P-40E-1 and it was just :magical: in my first arcade battle with stealth ammo. I was tearing enemy aircraft both bombers and fighters to bits with them.

Those six freedom guns are some serious poo poo :911:.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The soviets had the ZiS-4 57mm and the ZiS-6 107mm guns that both could easily penetrate the Tiger's armor. They were pre war design,s but both were shelved because at the time they figured that they were not needed because the armor of all tanks at the time were nowhere near the penetration power of either weapon. That's before we count all of the 122 and 152 guns that could just destroy it with HE or the 85mm AA guns that could pen.

loving wheraboos man.

E: Increased air to ground render distance? Thank gently caress! I was bitching hard about this earlier.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 27, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Woop scoffed at the Romanian He112, mentioning that the A-0 is the best. Incredulously, I believed that the single cannon would be insufficient for my poor aim.

Took out the A-0 for a few RB matches: http://youtu.be/croBw8UJc60

Good fun.

What music is this?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Tell them the best plane they have is the Kingcobra.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I will never ever get tired of the Yak-9T/K as having to only land one hit to utterly destroy an enemy will never get old. Punking bombers who don't even try to maneuver with one shot is also great, but the best is when you land the shell in the bomb-bay and it cooks off. Bomber, what bomber? :stare:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Oh those matches where it all just come together and you ruin fools in your IS-2. :allears: Twelve kills on Poland one after the other with my armor keeping me safe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1eblqjckwvrczl/2015.03.16%2012.36.19%20IS-2%20Best%20Tonk%2C%20Stronk%20Tonk.wrpl?dl=0

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Eej posted:

How come no one warned me that the Yak-9K was a bloop too far? I saw my first shell go a little wide of my crosshair and then the second shell just went in some random direction.

Fire it in single shots always. Even a small pause between shots is enough to ensure accuracy.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The T-34E is fantastic in the new regular realistic battles. It seems like worst you will face is the 75mm Shermans and the 7.5cm L/48 Germans and that little bit extra armor at it's battle rating makes all the difference with some angling.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 7, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Just looking at the stats, the IL-10 seems to be worse than the IL-2M? It does have better flight performance but it also seems to loose half of it's munitions load of Rockets and 100kg bombs for the dubious ability to instead carry two 250kg bombs alone. Considering that your primary job is dropping copious amounts of HE on ground targets in CARB, it's generally a downgrade? The 23mm's also seem to suck complete rear end when you shoot them at American half-tracks for some reason.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Execu-speak posted:

Is the Rooskie Sherman any good? It's an M4A3E2 with the good 76mm APCR right?

I have a need to buy it and adorn it in Soviet paraphernalia :ussr:

It is an excellent tank that gels well with the play style you will be used to as soviets, bit also does something new with it's gun depression. A very solid buy.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I have just started using Hispano 20mm's on my UK fighters and jesus christ :stare: Russian 20mm's are utterly nerfed compared to this.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Execu-speak posted:

Ok so I got that premium Russian Sherman and I like it. But I think the T34/57 mod 43 is the better premium tank.

The only advantage the Sherman has is the gun depression. The marginally better armor on it isn't worth anything at the BR they're both at.

I think the T34 has the better gun though. The 57mm has a second tier APHE round which has only slightly less pen than the 76mm APCR but with the benefit of a behind armor explosion. The 57mm APCR round is great and will pen pretty much anything in their BR frontally. On top of that it has such a flat trajectory and high rate of fire that it is easy to shoot from point blank out to long range.

I like having them both though, maximises grinding towards the T54.

But fighting against things that you can penetrate on both, the 76mm will have bigger boom with it's APHE. I find the 57mm to be too weak behind the armor usually.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

And lastly, you don't have a hot case that is steaming off gunpowder residue and other nasty chemical poo poo into your fighting compartment. Loaders were known to pass out from the fumes and strain in the 76mm T-34.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 26, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just me or does the new aircraft damage model make the ShVAK 20mm actually pretty good? Before they felt like utter crap compared to Hispanos, but after the patch I am murdering everything using ground target belts.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I wish they'd put how much HE filler is in each shell type, if any. In a match today I learned that the BR-365A 85mm round has 3x the amount of filler compared to the BR-365K. Considering that the extra pen on the K often doesn't make much of a difference it is far better to use the A round since when you do pen, it causes far more damage. I noticed immediate results from switching from the K to the A, the amount of OHK, ammo racks and other fun stuff has gone up dramatically.

Edit: And now generally when I put a shell into a turret, everyone dies instead of just the nearest crewman.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 30, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

They nerfed the payload that My IL-2M Avenger can carry :cry: Goodbye 8x132mm rockets + 4x100kg bombs, you were too beautiful for this world.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Sard posted:

Christ, the Il-2 feels gutted after this patch. Great patch for the most part, but one of my favorite airplanes and the one I've been flying the most lately went from challenging but capable to hosed. The guns can't kill tanks, the payload has been cut in half, the rockets are firing like they're anti-air rockets and arc upwards instead of arcing down the reticle distance marks, and the thing just handles worse all around.

And they still took away the red nose on my special one, but I guess I can learn to like the new look.

:smithicide:

I'm considering switching over to the Pe-2 line of bombers because they can at least carry a decent bomb load and get a sight as well for CARB. Hell, they can even mount 10x132mm rockets as well. But it's just so big and slow, dies instantly to any kind of fire and is just :negative:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Chips posted:

At 3.7 - 4.7 they're not bad for a suicide run on a single cap, diving in from the bomber spawn altitude and using the airbrakes to avoid ripping the wings off.

Sure it can do that, but I just loved the old load out of the IL-2 since you could kill two targets with the rockets and then a 3rd with the bombs and then go dog-fighting.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I was just reminded tonight that the Golden wager counts any T3 vehicle in your line up, such as the Peshka or an IL-2. So in fact I can do my golden wagers at 3.7BR aka Peak T-34.:ussr:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

ded posted:

Arados always show up in 6.7 CARB. It loving blooooows.

I find Do217's to be more popular. Them and their bullshit 4x1000kg bomb load :argh:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Appropriate for the M4A1 ronson :mmmhmm:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

TwatHammer posted:

Russians seem to be getting completely rolled in br8 tanks so far. Those new tanks are definitely something

I just got my IS-3 about 2hrs ago and found this to be the case. My heavy armor for WW2 standards doesn't mean poo poo vs Cold War HEAT and APDS-T.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

WebDO posted:

I imagine that this is akin to what happened when M10s and M18s first landed - a lot of people with a lot of bad habits are slow to adjust to easy to murder glass cannons. The American TDs settled out surprisingly nicely once people figured out how to handle them and seem to be in a pretty good spot right now.

Well for me I think that it's more that it's a totally new ball game separate from everything else that i have faced up to this point. So it's going to take me a bit to adjsut to the new flow of things. Because if there is one thing for certain, those Leo1's go up like firecrackers from any sort of hit with the 122mm. The new thing to adjust to is all these 105mm guns running around.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 3, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So tonight I discovered the Ar-2 for CARB support and it's even better than the Pe-2.

The bombs it carries are bigger and in better arrangements. For example, the 6x250kg is dropped in a 1, 1, 2, 2 pattern so it is functionally the same number of targets engaged as the Pe-2 4x250kg. However, the 3rd and 4th target get a double dose of HE which increases the probability of kill, which is handy against Tigers and Maus. The Ar-2 after also seems to fly much better as well, turning tighter and rolling faster. The only negative points about it are that it seems to be rather under powered for takeoff with 1500kg of bombs, which can be a problem on some maps after your first bombing run from an air start. The Ar-2 also is only a T2 plane so if you're using your air slot to slingshot your lineup to T3 for golden wagers, it cannot be used for that.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

bacon flaps posted:

Server-side patch dropped my T-54 reloads to below 10 seconds. :getin:

See, now I am really regretting getting the IS-3 first instead of the T-54. :sigh:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So just had my first match in my shiny new T-54 Obr.47 and drat son, this is the tank that fits my play-style. The turret traverse is a bit slow for my liking but it can be worked around. The gun is great and reloads fast, 8.6s with my crew in that slot, which removes a big part of my frustration with the IS-3 where I would get on a an amazing flank, but only have the ability to shoot one or twice before I am noticed. now I should be able to get three to fours shells off in the same time frame.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Is Finland a T4+ tanks only map or have I been stupidly unlucky riding T2-T3?

I've had plenty of T2-T3 matches on the map.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Handen posted:

As for golden wagers, I just lost the three matches it took to lose the whole thing, in a row, in spite of kicking rear end for my team otherwise. Is there a trick to getting a half decent team? Like, should I get my low level friends with first tier planes to log in as squad captain, join a poo poo tier match with them, and rape a bunch of biplanes in my Spitfire Mk Vc or something? Also, is that how I've seen Hortens in some of my low level matches?

Don't fly a plane for golden wagers, use a T-34/76 lineup instead.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

philosoraptor posted:

I think you mean the armored vehicle responsible for destroying the largest number of enemy vehicles; the Tiger certainly had a more impressive ratio than the StuG even after dispelling decades worth of myth and propaganda. This should hardly be surprising since the StuG was a mediocre stop-gap vehicle, a fact was emphasized whenever it did not fight from ambush, which was common during the second half of the war. For example, it was the sole armored vehicle available to the Germans during their counter-attacks around Aachen and was very ineffective in that role, taking severe losses trying to advance against Shermans and M10s. In a nutshell, StuG is cool acronym, but not an excellent tactical weapon; the Tiger is overhyped, but in no imaginable way worse than the StuG at tactical fighting.

I feel like I have read this word for word somewhere else already.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So, under tank controls if you bind "select machine gun" you can specifically switch to your rooftop AA MG if you have one.
Not only that, you can also then use the MG with it's own sniper view with an accurate range ladder out to 1,200m. Not only that, but if you use the "sight distance controls" the distance state for that is preserved between weapons, so if you have it set to 800m on your MG it will automatically be set to 800m when you switch back to your cannon by using the "reset weapon" button. This will be of massive loving help to tanks with long reload timers like the IS-3 or high arc shells on the ISU-152. So now you can slam dunk some publord at 1.2km with 152mm of HE first time every time! :getin:

It also goes without saying that you can fire more effectively on planes with your AA MG with this too as you don't have the main turret traverse throwing your aim off now.

EDIT: OH poo poo, the KPVT is ranged out to 2km. SU-122-54 and T-10M will benefit hugely from this.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

:aaaaa:

I needed to know this badly. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait, how does sight distance work?

It's badly translated, you need to set controls for the "minimum" and "maximum" sight distance controls. I use + and - on the numpad myself as as you won't be adjusting it on the move.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

I had shift - \, and I see how it works, you can basically adjust the sight height to where your shots landed so you can range in more efficiently, yeah? It doesn't seem to match the MG fire, though; from testing with the M4A1 at least, when you set the bar and switch guns the bar remains in the same place but the scale distances change.

EDIT: Or is the idea that you range in the MG, then adjust to the same elevation on the main gun?

No you're right I must have been testing weapons with very similar ballistics , it is different as you say. So yes you do need to correctly set the main gun range with what you found with the MG.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

It's still convenient, but if ranging MGs had become pinpoint accurate that would have been amazing.

Well now you get get ranged for a particular distance near perfectly without even firing your main gun.

Knowing pubbies they'll dismiss some MG fire hitting a spot as just random fire and drive blithely right through that point, and right into one of your follow-up shells. Also for the moment they'll dismiss you shooting the AA MG at them as just annoyance and stay still, allowing you to get a great first shot in. If the action gets popular enough you might even be able to spook people with MG fire, heh.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

15k RP in the tank sim event for killing a KT, Tiger 1E and a JPz4, with premium and a 30% booster. :psyduck:

SB seems to be where it's at for getting crazy RP for tanks, even if the lions are still rather poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So what is the timezone for the special event purposes, MSK time?

• Locked thread