Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

e_angst posted:

Well, Dallas is semi-freaking out about their bag ban.

All I can say about the bag ban is that I'm loving glad I don't work as a cashier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

It's easily worse than 635 in Dallas.

635 is actually pretty good now, they added a bunch of lanes and there isn't much construction anywhere along the areas that previously used to get really congested.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

they add to a woefully inadequate public transportation and cab system

This is the real issue, I think. Why is the cab system inadequate if there's such huge demand for cabs? Why has the cab system not grown to accommodate this demand? If the answer is "Uber and Lyft hijacked that growth," won't the obvious solution implement itself in the form of the existing cab companies that are willing to follow local rules expanding?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

Can someone please tell me what the gently caress this metaphor about Martians terraforming the city means? Maybe I'm just too dumb and it's flying over my head but can you humour me anyway and explain what the gently caress that means?

How long have you lived in Austin?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

I may have been a bit too vehement with my response. Let's put it this way: the reason Austinites hate Californians is because they brought their traffic problems with them.

Traffic in Austin has always been terrible. Everyone in Texas hates the Californians for a variety of reasons. The biggest issue is the illusion that Californians carry with them that California was somehow better than Texas, which is impossible. The fact that you're a refugee from that failed state speaks volumes about that theory.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

citybeatnik posted:

That and the city is terrible with regards to public planning and can't seem to convince people that paying for something now that'll pay off a decade or two down the line is a good idea.

I remember as a child, my father would take me to school in the morning. He would always listen to some talk radio show. It was something local, but I have no idea how to even begin searching for what it would be called. It was basically (to me) two crotchety old men arguing about poo poo I didn't understand. The only thing I clearly remember them discussing, probably because they talked about it CONSTANTLY, was expansion of the public transportation system using light rail trains. This would have been 15-20 years ago.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah, I am a refugee, and I don't want this place to become NorCal anymore than the native Austinites do. I hated going to "Silicon Valley" for business every time I did, overprices, crowded and horrible traffic. And you're right, but it sure seems like San Antonio is catching up in the "horrible traffic" department with all the growth they've seen recently.

I think the native view here is "you'd have been shocked to see it ten years ago" - even just five years. No poo poo there's traffic, the growth is astounding. Austin and San Antonio are rapidly becoming one continuous entity. The rural is now the suburban. Much has changed, and it has changed quickly.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

My Nebraska-born sister-in-law has decided she is now a cowgirl and wears a cowboy hat and drinks Lone Star. I can see the visible pain on her face with every sip. I just don't get it man.

Does she know that there are less awful Texas beers around? Give her a Shiner Ruby Redbird or something and let her escape the pain.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Shiner's specialty beers are actually pretty good, Bock is definitely below every other regional brew though. It only serves to usually end up on the domestic menu in which case it's alright when your other options are bud, Coors, and Miller.

Exactly. You drink Shiner Bock to show that you're Texan in the presence of horrendous brews. If you want to be Texan but don't want to drink awful cheap garbage, at least Shiner makes drinkable variants. All of the Wal-Marts here have started carrying cases of New Belgium's Rampant IPA, which is incomparable although not local.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Quandary posted:

I'm moving from Oregon to Dallas, what insanity can I expect to find in Texas politics?

Dallas is just racism and segregation. Nothing special.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Page 47 of the ruling cites a study which "revealed that Hispanic registered voters and Black registered voters were respectively 195% and 305% more likely than their Anglo peers to lack SB 14 ID."

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do people actually live in Addison, or is it just an endless strip of restaurants and traffic?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

holy gently caress that's way worse than i expected

haha texas guangdong

If you're a certain type of white suburbanite, Addison does offer a lot. They have beerfests and weird cultural events that only suburban white people would attend. They do actually have some living space, mostly "luxury" apartments. If you eat out a lot, Addison is perfect.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jiro posted:

Makes me wonder if the people working in Whole Foods stores will get their wages cut drastically, wasn't entry level around 10/hr? Like somewhere on par working at Costco.

I seriously doubt it. 10/hr is pretty standard in grocery work these days, with Wal-Mart also offering that as a minimum. The Whole Foods competitors like Natural Grocers, Sprouts, and Trader Joes all offer comparable or higher pay.

Whole Foods doesn't really take care of its workers that well, although they do spend a lot of time cultivating an image that they do. If they cut back on their current pay, they'd have serious issues.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Good soup! posted:

Houstonians try to do the same thing. The political leaders especially want desperately to be seen in the same light as iconic American cities and they lose their loving minds when you explain to them* that Houston is pretty much loving irrelevant to most people - when someone wants to travel and see awesome sights, they think of places like New York, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, even loving Philly which makes enormous amounts of money from tourism across the board even though people rag on it.

I mean, Houston still loses it's poo poo over the loving Astrodome which absolutely no one should give a rats rear end about, struggles with basic things like recycling and drainage, has utterly poo poo public transportation (something everyone is weirdly defensive over, which I continue to not understand what the gently caress the people here are proud of), and is just a sprawling mess with no real appeal for anyone to visit other than for family/friends and when, I don't know, their sports team is in town?

Season 8 of Bourdain's Parts Unknown has a Houston episode in which he basically argues that if anyone is making America great again, it's the city of Houston. I think he makes a good point. It doesn't have the tourist appeal of other cities, but it has drawn and provided unparalleled opportunity for people from every corner of the globe.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EwokEntourage posted:

Also features slim thug

Seems to be knowledgeable about music, automotive fashion, and fine dining.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I thought the only reason San Marcos existed was Schlitterbahn. People go there to shop?

I've mostly only seen the northward expansion of Austin over the past few years, which is pretty dramatic. Can you go south from Austin on I-35 and never see a break in the roadside retail all the way to San Antonio yet?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

Schlitterbahn is in new braunfels

Yeah, I guess that's true. So the only reason San Marcos exists is to try and lure people going to Schlitterbahn or San Antonio into stopping at an outlet mall. Also as a repository for people that couldn't get into a good public university.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

It's amazing how immediately hateful all these assholes are, they don't even hesitate anymore.

This is... I don't know what to say here. I know George Clayton. I have worked alongside George Clayton. He's a gay Texas Republican, with all of the baggage and bigotry that you would expect from being in that situation. He's one of the most intelligent and thoughtful people that I know. He is an incredible teacher. I cannot defend his statement here, but I am shocked by this statement that he made. He isn't what you would expect from seeing this single post on Twitter. Obviously he has issues, but all I can say is that I know this man personally and this does not capture his entire character.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Well it's now all that anyone who doesn't know of him will ever want to know of him. It may not have been his entire character, but because he couldn't keep mouth shut, no one knows or really will care to know what other potentially fine features he may or may not have. They just know the rancid core of xenophobia and racism at his core.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah his Twitter is full of dumbass statements not just one. Nothing about him comes off as intelligent.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, no one put a gun to this guy's head and made him seek out some minority valedictorian's Twitter to post his racist poo poo on, and apparently he's done to more than one minority student. So gently caress the hell out of him.

Hey, I get it. I can't really defend him. But people are complicated. His Twitter may be completely insane, and obviously he's got problems. One of the interesting things about SA is the scope and reach. I know this guy. I can only say that he's easily among the most intelligent people that I have ever met. He is clearly an idiot when it comes to racial issues. Make of that what you will. Turn him into a villain from what you read on the internet. That's fine. He obviously is a villain. But villains are complex, and I can at least offer a perspective that informs you about that complexity.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I get it, like I said. All I can say is that I know the man. If you talked with him, you may have walked away with a different perspective. It isn't as easy to interpret as this makes it seem.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

It sounds like you don't know the man, only the man he is pretending to be. As soon as he is given a platform to express himself where he isn't subject to the social conditioning of not saying heinous poo poo in front of others, this is how he uses it. That should tell you something.

Frankly, I can see why an old, gay, white, Republican in Texas is a racist. It excuses nothing. It does tell me something, and I'm ashamed for him. But I know that he has taught in classrooms full of people that aren't like him, doing his best to help kids that aren't like him, and I know that he's done a good job.

I have gotten into arguments with him (he was my boss), but the argument was never about anything racial. It was always about the best way to approach teach older kids what matters. He has been on the school board before, but he was never one of the people putting absurd content into the books, he was always one of the people maintaining the integrity of the institution. He clearly has problems, but turning George Clayton into a villain is... a mistake. There are far worse villains here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

No Safe Word posted:

He's a bad dude, stop defending him. Sorry that he successfully gaslighted you though.

No. You don't get it. He is a bad dude. But I won't stop defending him, because the superficial portrayal of him doesn't really explain who he is. People are complicated. gently caress you.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earth posted:

I've been reading this thread off and on for the last month or so and I can't think of any better place to ask this. I'm mildly considering a move to DFW area because of potentially more pay. I would hope that this would be a short term thing, but life doesn't always go the way you hope. So as part of my thought process I wanted to ask in real talk how bad is the DFW area for a left leaning person like myself? As for how left leaning am I. I guess I'd say the Scandinavian countries seem to be doing pretty well. I think it'd be neat to have universal health care, free college, better education, and do what Germany does with holocaust denial except I guess ours would be trail of tears denial. Unrelated to politics, weather wise I think I'd be able to suffer it. I prefer cold climates, but for a couple of years I can suffer the heat I guess. Traffic wise I was down there a couple of weeks ago and I know it's bad. Is it always terrible? I wouldn't like that much.

Politics are important to me. I want to live in a place where I don't have to assume the people are complete poo poo before I get to talk to them. It'd be neat to live in a spot where people actually want to help those less fortunate instead of spit on them. Live in a place where racism isn't the norm. And so on and so forth. Then again it'd also be neat to be able to retire a little sooner...

Yeah, so should I move there if I don't have to? In real talk is the DFW area horrible or livable? I guess another way to ask it is are the vast majority of people down there Fox News zombies or actual critical thinkers?

It's like ten million people spread over a vast area. Which part of DFW? What color are you?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earth posted:

It's seven million people, south of the DFW airport area, and I'm white.

Well, have fun with the traffic. Every major highway is under massive construction. They'll be done in approximately 60000 years.

Edit: That's sort of specific to the DFW airport area. 183, 360, loop 12. It's really not that bad, I guess. I commute twice as far as some of my coworkers that live up in the northern suburbs, and it takes us the same amount of time. If you're going south or west, it's all good. If you're going east or north, I would recommend investing in a Mad Max style apocalypse semi-truck so you can plow through the traffic jams in style.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 19, 2018

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just looked at my Facebook and three of my Facebook friends had liked Beto. An elderly retired teacher who is a black Caribbean Hispanic, a wealthy middle aged Hispanic lawyer, and a very young, Hispanic, brand new teacher. Make of that what you will.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

there's not much to do there and the terrain is barren and devoid of trees so people might go a little nuts

Last time I passed through there, I was struck by the number of people that I saw casually spitting.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I met a German teacher the other day that comes to spend the summer in Texas. Sits around at a pool in Frisco all day for the hottest months of the year, then goes back to Germany.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

Texas schools are funded by property taxes, and the district itself is the taxing authority. They are always the largest portion of the property tax bill. It is helpful in some cases (avoids Dan Patrick being in charge of doling out school funds to his favorite evangelical charters) but harmful in a lot of others (small boards without a lot of oversight lend themselves to corruption)

You know, I'll take some small time local corruption over whatever intense and vile rot the state is about to inject into any school system they seize.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

gonna walk outside to the jack in the box next door and take a picture of their banner that says "HAPPY HOLIDAYS, we're OPEN on thanksgiving!!"

Nothing says Thanksgiving like a Buttery Jack!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EwokEntourage posted:

Once had several orders of jack in the box tacos on Christmas Day

I heard that making those jack tacos sears the poo poo out of your fingers. Confirm/deny?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Yeah, how else would they do it

There's the whole citizenship thing now, as well as Trump claiming that districts might be drawn based on eligible voters rather than population, which has implications beyond citizenship alone.

Edit: Well, and to put that in clearer terms - not just Trump claiming that districts might be drawn in this way, see Evenwel v. Abbott arguing that districts don't HAVE to be drawn according to eligible voters rather than population, but that they COULD be drawn in this way

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 29, 2020

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

that's an interesting question

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/01/citizenship-trump-census-voting-rights-texas/

Further reading on the topic. Expect extreme measures to disenfranchise minorities, backed by the Supreme Court.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

M. Night Skymall posted:

The only one I recognize is withers elementary, but it's definitely rich white people central, not far from Bush's house.

That's only partially accurate - you go less than a mile north and all along 635 are low income apartments. A mile or two west and the same thing - huge quantities of low income apartments. The school itself may be in the middle of a relatively wealthy neighborhood, but when you think in terms of population density, the poorer minorities in that area vastly outnumber the people living in those single family homes, even if they occupy much less space.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

M. Night Skymall posted:

Sure, I live a couple miles west among the much cheaper homes, but I don't vote at Withers. I think it's just gross incompetence, but I guess we'll see after the recount.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think it's some conspiracy or whatever. I'm sure it's just incompetence as well. But I also would bet that more people live in the apartment complex on the NW corner of Forest and Marsh than live in blocks and blocks of that wealthier single family area just on the other corner. Most of those houses hold one or two elderly people, while many of those single bedroom apartments have half a dozen inhabitants each.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

I wonder if that dark red in Park Cities has more to do with wealth, or age

There seems to be a huge correlation between wealth and being able to have gotten a test early, which is something to consider.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Once again, the grey market eight liner industry benefits from its grey legal status. I'll eyeball tomorrow on my drive down Highway 6 to Galveston, but I'm almost sure they'll crank right back up. And, honestly, broader problem that solves itself there.

You know, I read this and it was at first incomprehensible. But I've been reading this poo poo for so long that I have come to view you as a very particularly Texan source of information, so I did some basic searching to decipher what the hell you were talking about, and this seems like an interesting topic.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

This jarred loose memories that I didn't even realize that I had.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Extremely low, he's only beating Kemp in terms of virus handling approval. DeWine is like, 86 percent and he probably took the swiftest and most restrictive response in any of the Trump states

https://twitter.com/corbettsmithDMN/status/1260286506087976960
IDK about y'all but I woulda loved to skip both my HS and college graduation ceremonies.

Hinojosa is such a loving champion. The school closures were a disaster, like everywhere else, but I really feel like he's been a model for effective leadership and disaster management throughout this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

The percentage of positive cases will tell you how things are going regardless of how many tests are being performed.

I've just been hiding out in my house and I know nothing of the world outside my doors, but I've seen indications in other threads that testing is starting to become easier for people that are asymptomatic, rather than just people that are feverish and obviously ill. Wouldn't opening up that skew percentages of positive tests downward without really giving any meaningful data on the number of people actually sick?