Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Waco is when you want a college town, access to a big city but not too many of 'those people'

That is more like people who live in College Station (and avoid Bryan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Over the last decade, they have both moved school start times earlier and end times later in all the school disricts I have worked in. If they did adjust start times later, it would also likely slowly change the schedule to start even earlier over time to increase instructional minutes even more.

Where I work currently, we start at 8:10 and end at 4:00. I can imagine moving everything forward an hour would make doing any sports or after school programs that much more miserable. Buses would be a nightmare in even more traffic too.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is that the regular school day? Does that factor in after school stuff?

Yeah, that is the regular day. Anything after school starts at 4. Pushing another hour would mean starting at 5 pm.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

how far are we from all public schools outright banning phones, or do they already do that and kids just don't care?

Parents would be first to protest since it cuts off access to their children, and then you would have other safety concerns on top of it. It will never happen, despite near unianimous support among educators.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

i assume the "secret phones" are just for home wifi? can't imagine them hiding a verizon bill in the mail

School wifi as well. It is usually an older phone they bought off someone.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

jokes posted:

Texas schools are already built on the backs of load-bearing coaches who teach history, health, football, football, and football. Now you want them to run security?

The interesting thing is that health classes are way less of a thing in schools in Texas now outside of students on some sort of career track, and there are now a ton of coaches teaching math, English, and CTE classes instead. All the assistant coaches now are basically full time teachers who also have to do a ton of coaching for a small stipend.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is the TEKS the thing that was supposed to replace STARS which replaced TAKS which replaced TAAS?

No, TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) are the standards, aka what you have to teach. This is a fight over what is being covered in classrooms, not the tests. If you advocate for removing a bunch of things from the standards, parents can then go after individual teachers who bring things up that are not included.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

My sister works at another school nearby and said they went on lockdown over it between classes, so they just had to grab kids in the hallway and put them in random rooms for 45 minutes.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I mean, Texas and OU are still almost assuredly in thr Big XII next year, and there is still no confirmation that they are moving up to 2024 yet.

Ultimately the game will likely end up being treated the same way a bunch of SWC teams who did not move to the Big XII were: somewhat regular series in football, more often in other sports where the scheduling isn’t as restricted. If they do ultimately reduce the number of conference games to 8, we probably will see it played more regularly, if not annually.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

As much as we recognize ITT how bad Austin's racism can be (particularly compared to its liberal self-image), College Station is a thousand times worse. Imagine a college town that, instead of having the general young progressive vibe of every other college town, had the social values of a lovely white-flight suburb. That's College Station.

Bryan at least has a distinct culture from College Station (and predates the university as a train stop outside of Houston), and has more of a blue collar townie vibe with a lot more diversity, but yeah still a small city in Texas. Over time I think just more of the white community is just segregating in College Station. Both cities also have very high post secondary education levels, and some of the political nuances that come along with that.

As much as I like to hate on Aggies, the political slant of the student body is definitely oversold and focuses on a vocal minority. Plenty of decent people come from that school, and it really isn’t super different from UT.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Bryan is actually worse.

That was definitely true when we were kids, but then a ton of the white people just moved to College Station. The socioeconomic divide is way more stark now too.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Trump won Brazos County by >14 points, in 2020. Aggies are more politically conservative than the nation as a whole, which means that compared to other college students they are wildly conservative.

Compare Brazos and Lubbock counties, for example. Even if the college is more conservative, the county doesn’t reflect that as strongly. A 14-point margin is not that high in comparison to most of the other counties, even with similar population.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm not sure how "I'm too stupid to successfully eat chicken" is going to influence anyone but hey I'm not a politicsman

edit: also, is not expanding 35 going to make Austin walkable? I'm not sure what the link is between whining about cars existing and the highway expansion

The belief that it is a zero-sum game, and any effort towards expanding car infrastructure means nothing else happens.

Simultaneously, NIMBY attitudes about any expansion of public transportation exist, so nothing ever happens.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I do like the “has little to do with chili con carne” that is obviously false. That said, I am sure it is fine the same way any other food abomination like it is.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

There are a lot of websites that will autogenerate busywork worksheets like this from just a list of words or whatever. With the teacher shortage this year, the state massively reduced requirements for provisional teacher certifications and they did note this teacher was hired this year. I could believe anything from this was a really dumb idea from
someone ill-prepared to teach who was tired of the language their students were using and somehow thought this would help or punish them to some sort of malice.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

nah it's 100% about CYA over civil suit liability, without a doubt

Yep, hence the immediate blaming teachers for propping doors at Robb Elementary until that turned out to be false. Set up a procedure and policies so that when they inevitably break, that takes all the blame.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Any time you question why we do anything at schools, you gotta remember the primary reason we have them at all is day care so parents can go to work. This gives enough of an illusion of effort to assuage fears, not that the parents really have a choice.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Teacher groups and local politicians are all pretty upset by it, statewide officials and local GOP leaders are very supportive, so take from that what you will. Basically it just removes the elected school board and superintendent to replace them with a board that the state manages. It is also fitting that the school that initiated the move has also improved its scores over the last four years, but TEA argues it does not matter and they are required to take over if a school fails for 5 consecutive years. Most likely outcome is that it won't matter much, nothing will really improve all that much because everything they were feasibly going to do was already being done, and likely there will be massive teacher turnover as they start asking too much from teachers.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

hatty posted:

I remember TAKS being pretty easy is STAAR that much harder?

They rewrote the tests dramatically this year and expect the results to be catastrophic.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Ratmtattat posted:

Yes, they had the tests last year. My kids' school district came out "A" rated on the scale that was used last year. This year TEA upped the requirements for an "A" rating to the point where my kids' school district would be "C" rated if they achieve the same results as last year. There may be some grace built in to it, but as of the last school board meeting, they had not received much in the way of concrete guidance from TEA.

That is also not including changes to the tests, including the format of questions, rigor of questions, etc. They also announced they aren’t releasing test results until the fall. Fully expecting the school I am working at to go from a B to an F.

What a coincidence that there is zero push for any accountability on private schools even if we started giving them tax money.

zoux posted:

Is this the first round of tests that are going to be wholly post-COVID? Did they even do them last year?

They did not give them in 2020 and excused them, but basically have given them since then. It also lined up with them switching vendors, but this year is also a new testing platform online so they are rewriting them as well.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 18, 2023

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It is wild that TAMU is simultaneously trying to be a flagship state university and also the bastion of conservative thought, and people at the top are somehow baffled that these are conflicting goals and always will be.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

this is why i like dairy queen more than whataburger

I don’t agree, but it is close. DQ is always surprisingly good, and Whataburger has no treats as good as a Blizzard.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

DQ burgers aren't very good, and while a blizzard is okay, I normally either want a milkshake or harder serve ice cream.

The whole weird thing with them pretending to be Texan is weird both because they're not and Texan branding puts me off of them more.

I know everyone in here is probably aware of the history but this story does a pretty good job of explaining why they have done it; they basically let Texas franchises do their own thing for a while who wanted to compete with Whataburger, and then it was too late for the chain to take control again.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Colt did OK for himself, imo. Better than Vince, though Vince got hosed by his HC.

Anything that is a red flag on mental health is basically a career ender, which is a real shame. Easier than getting someone help, I guess.

zoux posted:

Bipartisan consensus on Dallas

It is interesting that messaging DOES work on both parties by the way the relative shape is consistent.

LanceHunter posted:

Literally no city where Republicans feel safer. They should have thrown in Amarillo or Branson, Missouri.

It has nothing to do with the people who live in the cities, but national perspective on how safe they are, so it is unsurprising since they do not really live in large cities.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 29, 2023

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Did yall do senior overalls too or was that just a BCS thing

This is definitely still a thing in BCS, and maybe more than it was then. It was definitely too much of an Aggie thing for me to participate willingly.

PostNouveau posted:

Did y'all do powderpuff football? I bet that tradition died really hard recently.

It has died, but girls high school flag football is increasingly becoming a thing in more states.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 5, 2023

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I actually had a better experience with charter schools when I used to enroll teens in foster care in school a decade back. The local public school (which tended to have lower income students) openly despised our facility (because our kids impacted their drop-out rates) and actively put up bureaucratic barriers to prevent our students from enrolling (illegal, but good luck enforcing the law). In this case, the charter schools advertised themselves more as credit recovery schools...so really different targeted demographic and purpose. The solution obviously isn't to replace public schools with charters, but I get how someone would come out of that experience being pro-charter schools because they actually helped our kids and the assigned public school sent every message possible to these kids that they weren't welcome.

That is part of the joy of public schools having completely different accountability from either charters or private schools (which have basically none). It also comes with real consequences, see the state now running HISD. In some counties, they will try and push all kids from facilities like that into one particular district if they have multiple, usually the same one that has the JJAEP.

It is completely unsurprising that any sort of extra accountability with “school choice” was immediately shut down too.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I might be a public school teacher who was a product of public education the entire way, but I get that people have to do what they think is best for their kids in whatever situation. It is a shame that is also the attitude creating the current situation.

It was funny talking to my sister-in-law about education in a different context and being told “it is just different for kids now” as if I am not acutely aware of what things are like. I have extended family who homeschools all their kids because of a few incidents, and I cannot imagine what the end goal will be to continue sheltering them into adulthood.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

No they would invade us and kill thousands and thousands of us like they did in the 1860s.

“Us” like anyone in here is joining up to fight for the rebellion. No thanks.

My ancestors who did it were dumb, too.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

If Texas secedes (we won't, it won't ever even have a hearing) then I'm leaving.

Lots of non combatants die in war

Oh I am well aware, and I have major doubts even a majority of people would want to stay, which would be a huge disaster of a refugee situation. It ain’t happening, though.

Imagine wanting to fight the US military on American soil.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

this is going to be loving crazy. we could go 7-5 and it will still be a fun season

It is one of the more favorable schedules in the SEC, too. Teams are going to go 9-3 and make playoffs/win titles in the conference.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The real underrated part of what makes summer so miserable all over Texas is that it is so warm out overnight as well. There is no opening windows at night to cool off, it just makes it more humid and miserable. Other places get hot, but it will just be for a few days, and it cools off at night. It is truly unrelenting here.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The thing with vapes in school is that they have to always test them for THC (which leads to all the felony cases), and it is way more prevalent than smoking has ever been in my lifetime among HS kids and younger. They find a fair number of them on elementary schools too. Also, the students using them frequently use it as a reason to skip classes with their friends and find a bathroom to hide in, etc., but the added problem of not being as obvious as cigarettes are for locating them. I know the state increased the punishment for vapes to allow automatic DAEP placements, but not all districts are on board for obvious reasons. I think most of the time at the school I work (and most other suburban/city districts), they just comfiscate them, test them for THC, and then write a referral and call home if they have one, and only those that get caught many, many times or found selling them get anything more.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Brenham is roughly halfway between Houston and Austin. That could easily have been a 90 minute haul by ambulance in either direction, probably longer with any sort of traffic.

I have no idea what the local facilities are like, or how crowded/staffed they were at that time.

It is about 30 miles to Bryan/College Station where the regional hospitals are, and 40 miles or so to Cypress. Quick search shows they have a small 25 bed hospital in Brenham otherwise.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 12, 2024

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mandatory DAEP for vapes is obviously a really bad idea, and a great way to absolutely overload every DAEP across the state, but it is interesting that Bryan ISD got an exemption partly because they were already testing them for THC immediately. Drugs were already one of the mandatory reasons to get sent anyway.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

cypress isd which is in a basically well to do suburb got rid of all their school librarians. instead now they have a few district librarians who rotate between schools. libraries are now only open so many days per week. very lovely. i don't think we can afford private school either lol.

This is common across the state; they just hire a few paraprofessionals poverty wages to keep the library open, and have an actual librarian oversee a few schools.

The loss of all the extra COVID money is going to be felt across the country for sure. Greg Abbott withholding money for 5 years in the midst of massive inflation has mad it so much worse here. Everyone is trying to find ways to cut tons of money. I know a lot of districts in the state have just done a complete hiring freeze, so they aren't replacing any staff who is leaving. Next year is going to be an absolute poo poo show.

poemdexter posted:

my 16 y/o daughter wants to do theater for college and then teach high school theater. i don't have the heart to tell her it's a bad idea. i'll just be the backstop when it blows up.

The truth is, the money isn't that bad for the first five years or so out of college, and then after that most teachers transition to something else anyways. There are plenty of things people can transition to something else with transferrable skills having worked a professional job for 5 years. I'm not even all that convinced there is any good advice for young people on careers to pursue or academic fields to pursue that won't just ultimately blow up in their face, and going after something they have a passion and real interest in is probably the best advice, really. Find something you like and then find a way to make it into a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The future is:
- quality private schooling for the rich
- religious schooling (of varied quality) for some of the middle-class
- white nationalist homeschooling or unschooling AND child labor for everyone else

I'm imagining a room full of hundreds of children on tablets and a few paraprofessionals to keep them in line for the last group, at least until they are old enough to go to work. Gotta have the kids out of the house so the parents can work!