Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

paragon1 posted:

What's with all the BIG IDIOT BAD POST avatars I'm seeing today?

Is it a mod thing or are people just getting visits from the avatar fairy?

Pretty sure it's the new 'Dumb Newbie' or whatever the old default avatar was. Lord knows I'm too milquetoast for anyone to even notice my posts, let alone press a button to give me a new avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

euphronius posted:

Nathaniel Hawthorne is unreadable bilge. The Scarlet letter holy poo poo. It's like Warhammer 40 k levels of fiction.

I enjoy some of his short stories, Young Goodman Brown has an energy and menace that's worlds apart from the snore fest that is The Scarlet Letter.

Anyway, I loathe Dickens with a passion.

edit:

Zeitgueist posted:

Couldn't get past the first page of Last of the Mohicans and I can read both horrible genre trash and classical literature.

You're in good company on that one.

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/rissetto/offense.html

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of goons arguing about their terrible taste in music as it converges with politics, I got lost in Wikipedia during a slow day at work and apparently the Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" was on the verge of becoming Oklahoma's official state rock song in 2009 until some shitheel Republicans blocked it in the state's House, the reason being that one of the band members wore a shirt with a hammer and sickle on it one time. The governor had to issue an executive order to get it through :downs:

This got me curious, and holy poo poo the California official song is absolutely horrid. Adopted in 1913, written by a businessman, just the worst thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giLxEvWfB-E

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Frankly I'm too drunk to follow those lyrics, which might be in the spirit of the whole thing.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

All along I thought I didn't understand opera because it was in Italian, but apparently it's unintelligible no matter what language they sing in.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hedera Helix posted:

Olive oil is amazing and fish/seafood (particularly smelly things like tuna and shirmp) are not amazing. So there.

From a while back, but if you can smell your seafood you done hosed up in the purchasing. When purchasing make sure your seafood has no odor. If you can't find any seafood like that it means you made the wrong life choice of living in a landlocked area.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
From what I gather a pushing match between massed formations of pike men was usually such a poo poo show a fair amount of the time they just stood around and shouted ineffectually at each other while the gunners and cavalry dueled each other.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mooyashi posted:

Slightly related but the last known carrier pigeon on Earth died in captivity last month

Can you throw up a link in reference to this because 'carrier pigeon' is just a term that refers to a pigeon that is used to send messages. Given the number of pigeon racing groups that still exist, and that the most common species for carrier pigeons is your run of the mill rock pigeon, I'm not really sure what this could be about. Maybe something to do with Passenger pigeons? Cause those went extinct like a century ago.

edit: A quick check shows that it was a century ago to the day, so maybe that's it?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Randler posted:

I'm not sure about the non-horrible part, but in the civilised world you don't count as people as long as you refuse to capitalize the first word in a sentence.

Something something inflexible Germans with a stick up their rear end about the rules something something.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shear Modulus posted:

Thanks for this, I'm happy because absolutely nothing happening in their quest to get on Rachel Maddow to complain about biased coverage of the Giffords shooting in the past year and a half is the most Galatianman thing ever.

Unfortunately Lance had several deaths in his family in a very short period of time and took an even longer than usual break from his cartooning. When he started putting new ones out they were mostly bad Rachel Maddow ones and as a result of this hiatus into bad quality, the thread has kinda stopped following the strip. Which has to be sad for Lance, we were basically his entire audience.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man, look at the variety of bottled water available to Obama. Should the president really be so overly decadent when a majority of American families are forced to drink out of garden hoses? I think not.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hedera Helix posted:

This doesn't look appetizing at all. Why isn't it on a plate, at the very least, and what's with the color balance?

I'm assuming the reason it's not on a plate is the reason you would want to eat it. It's greasy street food served on paper to absorb the excess grease. Drink liberally and then scarf that down, then drink some more.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haveblue posted:

I'm sure it's nice but it's an unappetizing photo presented with minimal context. I spent a while thinking I was supposed to be spotting insect parts or rat feces or something else disgusting in there.

Ok, I must be weird because I saw that photo and it made me hungry. I've never had that particular dish, but food served in paper under bad lighting is synonymous with tasty food to me. Doner Kebab, burritos, pizza, you name it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Yeah, they way I got them when I was in Europe was meat with some lettuce and garnish vegetables with a delicious sauce crammed into pita or lavash and wrapped up in paper. Some of the best food I've ever had and it's one of my biggest complaints about America that it's incredibly hard to find here. Like you can find all the components well done individually but for some reason no one will put it together the right way.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

According to the review, Thomas argued that there are too few slave narratives to be sure that their anecdotes about their treatment were accurate. Which then leads the reviewer to write this:

Basically, The Economist is have a hard time wrapping its head around the concept that free labor gained through torture was hugely beneficial to early Capitalism, so they're scrambling to justify ways to polish that turd.

This is bullshit because you can just look at the import rate and black population over time and see that everywhere slavery was practiced in America the slave population had a much diminished life span. This is the most obvious in the West Indies where the slave population remained constant despite massive annual slave imports. Even in Virginia, where the slave population managed to be self sustaining, the population expanded more slowly than expected even when importation was still legal. You don't need the copious amounts of black and white anecdotes about the brutality and horror of slavery, it's all there in the population data. Also the whole human in bondage due to virtue of skin color being hosed up no matter how nice you are.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

And have as much in assets, if not less.

Bullshit. I'm not even coming from an 'eat the rich' perspective here, in your example those IRA contributions you were having the family make are assets that are orders of magnitudes higher than what people on food stamps are able to accrue. That's not even getting into intangible assets, like the college degrees and personal and professional connections the couple have that open an incredible amount of doors which are closed to people struggling to make a living without as much as a high school diploma. It's true the middle class don't have much in the way of security, but they come nowhere close to the daily walk along the knife edge that is poverty.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Even as an 11 year old I could look at the people around me and see that everyone had lost their loving minds. When Marvel put out a special edition with all the super heroes standing around asking 'Why?' and Dr. Doom is standing off to the side shedding a single silent tear, I knew that the people in charge of everything everywhere were going off the rails hardcore and things were going to get bad. The constant replay of footage of the towers collapsing and stuff disturbed affected me as I'm sure it did everybody on one level or another, but the stuff the made me feel worst was the outbreak of ugly sentiment against people who seemed 'Middle Eastern'. It reminded me of the Japanese internment camps, which were a Bad Thing safely locked away in the past and now suddenly it almost feels like it can happen again, and how is that possible because America is supposed to have moved forward and gotten better? Suffice to say this experience and having all my teenage years during the Bush administrations have made me kind of cynical about the virtues of our country.

Sorry to get all real, I want to say something funny and edgy, but I'm a boring poster at heart.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

For a topic he admits only an insane person would want, he's put a whole lot of thought into this.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Swan Oat posted:

who likes quesadillas?

They're alright, but they're the probably ranked near the bottom of my 'quasi-mexican' food list. Why yes, I do have a cube model to represent this list, a 'Cuisine: Mexican' or 'CW' Cube if you will.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Wait, is this a trick? Because sometimes an El Salvadoran friend offers me quesadilla and then hands me some kind of cake and I feel confused and sad. I don't think I can take it if strangers started doing the same thing as well.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Majorian posted:

Incorrect. Everything he did as commanding general of the Army of the Potomac he did terribly, except for let Sherman be the bad motherfucker he was. Sherman won the war, not Grant.

Through his brilliant and utterly unconventional decision to purposely detach from his line of supply during the Vicksburg campaign, Grant managed to cut the Mississippi and thus doom the Confederacy. Sherman just took advantage of the death blows that Grant had dealt in the western theater. Also his memoirs probably rank with Caesar as the among the best, military or otherwise. In summation Grant ruled :colbert:.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

'Confederate rail line' is an oxymoronic phrase. Rivers were still the most rapid means of transportation in America until the standardization of national rail gauge completed and reconstruction thusly ended.

Err... Not sure why you think the Confederate rail lines were a non-factor considering it was the Union cavalry action at Appomattox Station and the loss of the ability to rearm/transport his troops that ended Lee's hopes of slipping away from Grant. Hell, it was Grant's seizure of Sutherland Station that forced Lee's withdrawal from Richmond in the first place. Strategically the Confederates were of course completely outmatched by the Union when it came to rail lines, but that doesn't mean that it never played into the situation. I'm willing to take it to a military history or American history thread somewhere if you want to hash it out.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Majorian posted:

They did until Hitler decided they absolutely had to head straight for Stalingrad instead of, you know, taking Moscow or cutting off Russia from its western oil reserves. While that probably wouldn't have meant the end of the USSR in and of itself, Stalin probably would have had to negotiate a peace with the Nazis and give up lots of tasty concessions.

All the Soviet industry was pulled back behind the Urals anyway, ignoring Stalingrad, taking Moscow, all irrelevant. The Germans would have just re-discovered what Napoleon learned over a century previously, that there's always more room for defenders to pull back on the Russian Steppes.

In short:

zoux posted:

To answer your next question, no, Germany could've never won WWII.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

R. Mute posted:

you can't fire a gun with no hands.

well, you could, but it'd be significantly more difficult

I can get behind a 'guns don't kill people, hands kill people' campaign. Stranglings, stabbings shootings, all hand related, stricter hand control is needed.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SedanChair posted:

Guys do you think the Lippstadt league might have succeeded if Prince Braunshweig had been a little less full of himself, and also if Reinhard died or something idk

No, their opponent was just too dreamy. :allears: Oh Reinhard-sama...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Majorian posted:

Anime is like musical theater to me - I'm absolutely crazy for a handful of examples, and absolutely despise the rest. That said, the characters in Legend of the Galactic Heroes have hair that could only be described as ~kawaii~.

It's really good if you like people discussing political philosophy, economics and military strategy while static fleets slowly blow each other up, which I do because I'm a monstrous human being. In my opinion it is the definitive Space Opera.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zoux posted:

It's really not good. Like all anime the dialog is mostly expository and stilted and the "philosophizing" that people rave about rarely rises above college freshmen smoking weed level.

It certainly is pretty stilted, though I don't know about all anime being that way. And yeah, it isn't some deep treatise on any topic it covers, at one point the idea of a defeat in detail is introduced and it blows some Rear Admirals mind, but it's still more thoughtful, or at least more upfront about it's thoughts, than most of the stuff you'll see outside of books. I think it can still be worth watching though, it's up to your personal preference.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Py-O-My posted:

I'm guessing this is the vehicle in question, how many can there be in a town of 8000?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw1O8eg64GQ

God, I try not to be classist as much as possible, but how could you think something like this does anything other than label you as 'the wrong sort'?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I must say, I liked the milk tea and boba discussion better than the child abuse one. I think I'll go drink a sugary beverage and try not to think about it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

Nothing you say about the foster care system will be scarier than the fact that Michele Bachmann has raised 23 foster children.

Man, the odds pretty much dictate that at least one or two gay kids had to go through the factory of crazy that is Michele Bachmann and her husband.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

They are all from New York, so yeah.

So, I haven't spent much time on the East Coast, but I did do a little road tripping through the area and I remember eastern Pennsylvania and upstate New York being full of trees. Now I thought Vermont was nice, but as an ignorant person from the West Coast, why are the trees supposed to be so much better there then the millions of other trees that are closer to where they live?

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 13, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Burlington is much closer to Montreal than to New York City, isn't it

When I drove through Burlington I got a message on my cell from my phone provider reminding me that now that I was in Canada international rates applied, so I'm going to hazard a guess and say yes.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Okay, I have a dark secret I promised myself I'd never reveal, but all the Vermont talk has pried it out of me. I drove to Vermont solely to go tour the Ben and Jerry's factory. I did some hiking, but it was cover for my stupid lust for ice cream.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mooyashi posted:

I picked up a copy of Boys On The Bus at the library because, hey, never read it, seminal piece. I love that "gay marriage" is always in quotation marks and haven't seen the word Chicano in a long time. Also confirms everything I always assumed about David Broder and Bob Novak.

Out of curiosity, where are you living? Chicano gets used often enough here in Southern California.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

StandardVC10 posted:

It's been a regular thing for most of my life for me to visit western Maine, but I've never really done the fall foliage thing. Once I visited in mid-September but I barely remember. It's sad because I live in southern California now and fall is basically a meaningless concept, the trees drop their leaves just kind of whenever.

Uh, obviously fall is the single week the Santa Ana's blow through town and everything bursts into a raging inferno. Honestly leaves changing color seems boring in comparison.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

:stare: Someone needs to get that lady to a chiropractor, something very bad has happened to her everything.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
What the gently caress is this poo poo? Is it supposed to mean something to me?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Gamers struggle so that one day they may have journalistic coverage as unbiased and hard hitting as Variety. Seriously, as I get older gamers seem more and more idiotic about pretty much everything.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
According to Herodotus, the Scythians had been taking a certain kind of hemp and throwing it on hot rocks in steam lodges since time immemorial. Maybe the Romans got themselves a connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

paragon1 posted:

If we get too much bile in this thread the humors will become unbalanced, and the thread will sicken and die.

We can only hope.

• Locked thread