Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mastershakeman posted:

Argument with DM: did flaming arrows in the sense we think of the (gladiator, game of thrones with blackfish, etc) exist?

Wiki is inconclusive and cites to books that aren't online. Anyone have sources on this?

It's purely an argument at this point since a game world with casters would have even less incentive to develop them but I'm cranky about this

Liquid accelerant is very volatile and it would be impractical to use on arrows. Remember, your bow is made of wood here. Best case scenario would be someone standing next to a container of Greek Fire might be able to use it.

Gunpowder arrows existed but you probably didn’t hear about them because China did all the hard work on that and Europe didn’t get into gunpowder until guns already existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kaysette posted:

A guy recorded himself sleeping overnight in a suit of armor to protest the rule in Xanathar's about sleeping in armor. I can't find it now but it was in the terrible 5e Facebook group that I love.

It’s an 8 hour video of them lying on the ground? That’s amazing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

"It's a rare item, like a +3 vorpal sword, or a useful bard."

Uh, sure man, whatever you say.

Isn’t this product for 5th e where bards are by far the most useful class?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

My brain was inserting "two" I guess because you've only got two hands, but so long as you're making some kind of contract I guess the sky's the limit

Actually, I’m a thri-kreen justice of the peace.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

My condolences to MaRo, who has apparently had a stroke.

On the other hand, it will be the first wizards book I’ve considered buying in years.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Brief summary of the settings and guilds, as of the original Guildpact era:

House Dimir: Secret 10th house of spies and betrayers actually set up by the Guildpact to keep the other 9 houses in balance. Spies, saboteurs, black market and intelligence brokers. Stewards of the true history of Ravnica. Founded by a Vampire who recently sundered the Guildpact by revealing House Dimir and attempting to usurp control of the city. It did not go well.

It seems to me that the existence of the Dimir has to be an open secret. Anyone who understands magic on even a rudimentary level would look at the list of guilds, and say "Oh, somethings missing."

Or maybe the official line was "Oh, those guys? Yeah, we kicked them out, they don't exist any more." I don't recall.

Anyway, hype to do some investigative necrotopsies.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I'm tentatively interested in a Ravinica setting book. I am glad they are doing something 'new' for 5e, at last.

Still not gonna run it in 5e, but I dig nice books full of art and evocative stuff.

Ravnica is basically the only magic setting I care about. I wonder if 3e contributed to it’s popularity, or if instead they released Ravnica now because it was out around 3e?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I’m not sure I’ve seen any version of D&D, clone, heartbreaker, or PF that had encounter table guidelines beyond, “30% above level 30% below level”. That would be a good product to put out if I could decide what game to claim it was compatible with.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

It used to be more common but faded out in 3.5 on. Do it with 5e for the biggest audience, that's where the money seems to be these days.

Hmm, if it's a feature of 2e I look forward to reading about it in the F&F of For Gold and Glory.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Siivola posted:

Damage on a miss is kind of an unsatisfying halfway-house, anyway. Just ditch the attack roll altogether! You have nothing to lose but your d20s! :black101:

Have you heard the good news about "Into the Odd"? Actually that's pretty much it, the good news about Into the Odd is that it doesn't use the attack roll.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

OfChristandMen posted:

The Veldaklen getting Advantage on Cha, Int AND Wis saving throws seems super powerful.

It’s only on saving throws. So it’s really only wisdom.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

:eyepop:

The DM is an improvised weapon. Now I understand.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Here's a breakdown of our AL try at Lost Mines. Y'all can let me know if this is typical/atypical.

Well, it's comforting to see you enumerate all the stupid things I found in the module that made me decide to never run it happen in real play. Except a trap in the goblin cave that you seem to have avoided thanks to genre savvy.

E:

Splicer posted:

Sunless Citadel was the first time I actually had fun in 3.x. It's a good module.

I have never heard someone I trust praise a WOTC module before so I guess now I'll have to take a look at this.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Splicer posted:

I am gratified and alarmed by the implication that someone finds me trustworthy through my internet posting

Well, about game design. I'm not asking you to be the godfather of my children here.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

You and your GM are fundamentally misunderstanding how the book for CoS is meant to be used. It’s not a linear adventure, there is almost no written dialogue. Every NPC is a name, some history, some personality traits and maybe some development if certain things happen. The GM needs to do the work. It’s not an easy module to run. This module is clearly a bad fit for your table but I’m not gonna say the module failed at anything that it wasn’t trying to do in the first place.

Is the book described in this manner in the copy?

It seems weird to create a campaign that is heavy on GM work, and then push it for AL.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I dunno if there are any wotc-published 5e modules that aren't heavy on GM work

This is a reasonable defense of it then. Anyone who is going to buy CoS will either be buying it as part of the WOTC line and will know what to expect, or will be buying it out of fondness for ravenloft.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kaysette posted:

The first CoS AL module “Suits of the Mists” is indeed mini-prelude adventures that end with dumping the party in Barovia. The rest of the modules follow a fairly linear path through it. You can play the modules or the hardcover in AL but the modules are much better suited to drop-in play.

Okay, that sounds good. (Maybe I’ll have to look into AL for home play, some of my players have been haranguing me about 5e.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

For what it's worth, I purchased one because I was a new DM and wanted something to do the hard parts for me so I could focus on running the game and...it did not help and my players seemed to like the parts I made up more than the book content. It's totally legit criticism if you're buying the book to learn.

Well, anecdote not = data, but yeah, this is the sort of thing I was worried about happening.

What sorts of thing do people who GM find useful to be included in ‘open ended’ adventures?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Imagined posted:

I really want to get into a game that is:

- Relatively Light (5e complexity or less)
- Classless
- Not primarily designed for one shots
- Has its own setting, not generic
- Fantasy

D6 Star Wars fits all these except the last one, but I've had trouble finding a non-generic fantasy Open D6/Mini Six setting. I asked in the Recommend a System thread but apparently stumped them too.

Into the Odd

I feel like much of 5e complexity is driven by classes, maybe if you removed that it would be light too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's funny because in Ye Olden Dayes, everything dealt damage with a 1d6, but we've somehow actually backslid from that

I liked this piece of design because it acknowledged that dangerous weapons are all going to kill you rather (equally) effectively, the difference is in circumstance.

Serf posted:

disqualified for being too good

Disqualified for being too good as a martial.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

xiw posted:

After 18 months of 13th Age experience, here's what I'd steal for other D&D games:

* Damage dice increasing with level. It's so much faster to resolve than extra attacks.
* Damage on a miss which scales with level.
* One Unique Thing
* Icon relationships
* Backgrounds at chargen - all three of these work great for defining interesting characters.
* Movement and positioning - in particular the disengage / interception / behind rules are really intuitive and work great. We used miniatures for it and it was better than using miniatures on a grid, especially since all the minis fit in a much smaller space since all you care about is relative position / engagement.
* Fighting in spirit - a reason to pay attention when you're out of a fight.
* Fleeing - "Fleeing is a party action. On any PC’s turn, any player can propose that all the characters flee the fight. If all players agree, they successfully retreat, carrying any fallen heroes away with them. The party suffers a campaign loss. " so good in play.

The 13thA innovations that I wouldn't bother with:

* Escalation dice - it's often not super relevant since fights don't usually cap it out. In particular abilities tied to it often aren't that interesting.
* Icon relationship rolls - there's probably an alternate system that could be better for this but as a GM it was super hard to keep up with 5-6 player's icon bennies.
* Variable background ratings as skills - they vary so widely in applicability and overlap in use so you always end up using your best one. I preferred something like attribute checks with +1 per vaguely-applicable background.

I thought the escalation dice was an interesting idea, but it didn’t work out through all the classes. Like, I thought powers coming online was a neat pacing mechanic.

Icon rolls was just garbage that needs to be binned.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Do any of you live in the Denver area/ need a new player? I moved here recently and want to find a dnd group

You can also post for this here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495776
Oh, it looks like Nehru the Damaja is in Denver maybe you can group up with them?
And there's someone who posted on page 18 (who I've never seen post in here?) too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's a cool game. Though not a huge fan of it's setting myself.

There’s a kickstarter called The Forest Hymn that’s going to be using the SotDL system, so I’m excited for that.
I’m sure someone will do an F&F when it comes out if you prefer to wait.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if they’re going to ruin a lot of normal DMs games by introducing a bunch of Charop to their players?

E: Also swing and a miss on their audience. They should have called it D&DWar not D&DSports.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 15, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

its gonna be pvp arena battles

This is what the description they gave made it sounded like. It's hard to imagine that instead of competitive dungeon crawling though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I wish Ravnica was AL legal because it's the raddest setting and I would day1 buy Ravnica HCs.

What happened to PHB plus 1? I guess it doesn't count because it isn't an FR setting book? That sucks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Toshimo posted:

• Rolled Gold

Well, at least you got pretzels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Did they include anything about 3e being too much like Diablo 2? WotC even had official sourcebooks for Diablo classes, spells, and monsters.

Well, I, for one, eagerly await the Overwatch edition of the game then.