Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

i never noticed without checking with task man because i have an ssd, but win 10 definitely has some weird disk activity spikes for no apparent reason (probably downloading updates)

thats microsoft collecting every single thing about you they can legally get away with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

i've thought about it. and while it's only 80 bucks it's 80 bucks spent on a computer i use for like a few hours a week mostly while mumbling "geez this game sucks balls"

provided the pc has at least SATA II you won't regret it at all. i got a cheap ssd for my ancient 2008 mbp and since the lovely nvidia controller will only do SATA I i just put the larger capacity 7200 rpm drive back in it since it was literally the same experience and put the (sata iii) ssd in my hackintosh as a wandows drive instead

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 1, 2016

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And a lot of SSDs will flip their proverbial poo poo when they're faced with a SATA-1 controller, regardless of standards and practices regarding graceful degradation.

it was actually a sata-ii controller, the MCP79 just loving sucks really bad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And then you have a Sansa Clip+ and a 128GB microSD card. Ew.

that's better than having a zune

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

really, how in the gently caress does a fully grown native English speaker write that and publish it

i like to think that deciding to base his career around speculating microsoft's next move has driven thurrott to such rampant alcoholism that the already barely functional language center of his brain withered away into something resembling a tiny bean

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

Microsoft is back from years in the woods, fearless and full of ambition

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-company-without-fear

quote:

Microsoft's bold ventures into areas that rivals dared not tread have arguably positioned the company beyond the curve. Deliberate steps into the cloud, mixed reality, a unified platform, a freemium model for Office, category-defining hybrid hardware and expensive gaming accessories are signs of a company that's not afraid of what lies beyond the bend. This ambition is likely due to an acute sense of what the future holds.

since when does "throw literal poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" equate to "deliberate steps"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

As you may recall, Microsoft has delivered KB3035583 as a 'recommended update' to users of Windows 7 and 8.1. What this update does is install GWX ("Get Windows 10"), a program which diagnoses the system to see if it is eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10, and if so, asks the user if they would like to upgrade (though recently, the option to decline has been removed). Some users have gotten around this by editing Windows Registry values for "AllowOSUpgrade", "DisableOSUpgrade", "DisableGWX", and "ReservationsAllowed" in order to disable the prompt altogether. This advice was endorsed by Microsoft on their support forums.

According to a report by Woody Leonhard at InfoWorld, the newest version of the KB3035583 update includes a background process which scans the system's Windows Registry twice a day to see if the values for the four aforementioned registry inputs were manually edited to disable the upgrade prompt. If they were, the process will alter the values, silently re-download the Windows 10 installation files (about 6 GB in total), and prompt the user to upgrade.

lol

os x just gives you a little notification for el capitan that you can dismiss and never see again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

flakeloaf posted:

pay boatman pay

i am pretentious

i am the blight

i am

boatman

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

election day should be a federal hliday and everyone goes and votes and then parties down and also the should make beer 1/2 price on election day.

its my right not to vote!! -stupid idiot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
preemptive dsyp

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

anthonypants posted:

yeah but if you vote you get that 1/2 beer coupon

i didnt work my minimum wage job at mondo magic kiosk in the mall so i can't afford 1/2 price beer!! OOBBBAAAAMMMAAAA -same idiot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
shaggar post a screenshot of this thread in whatever horrible browser comes with the lumia

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

drat..owned so hard

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

for whatever reason consolas doesn't work there so it falls back to whatever the default monospace font is. Still looks better than anything on ios

iirc its got exceptions for useragents so it doesn't use menlo on ios either, even though ios includes menlo.

its been a long time since i looked at it but i wrote a glimmerblocker filter to fix the font definitions and inject consolas into the css though so it worksforme on ios when i'm using my home network (and vpn)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

so it's at most 200 for the case. which also includes LEDs

oh why didn't you say so before, now we all know it was totally a good deal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

and again the size of the case was the whole point

dont forget the leds. oh and it came with a sticker too, cant forget the sticker.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how difficult is this in tyool 2016

its not. i have been running into a lot of problems with mine lately after it being problem-free for like 3 years so ymmv. other people say their similar systems are just fine though so mine might just be dying idk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"Reliability improvements" - for a clock app? How do you gently caress up a clo-

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

triple sulk posted:

windows ten pro is good

at letting you sleep in and get fired

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Perplx posted:

lol this is gonna be like bing points

microsoft is going to give away something with actual value (lte data) to use their crap

until someone makes an android rom that impersonates a windows phone

with the apple sim i get free lte from t-mobile (actually good for t-mo too, ~6 MB/s)

it's only 250 MB per month though but they offer 5 GB for 5 months for $15 supposedly as a promo for new customers but i've been able to get it multiple times

also i've easily hit the 250 MB cap pretty much every month and even without the extra 5 GB nothing really seems to happen. thanks t-mobile

t-thank

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LentThem posted:

3 Hours Later

pseudorandom name posted:

I dunno, it really sounds like Wandows is behaving ngrmadly.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

great news everyone, i will be switching from the alienware X51 to the new Dune case since it's actually smaller than the X51 and looks like a Mac Pro :)

here are the volumes of each

Dune case: 9,439,307 mm cubed

Alienware: 10,362,030 mm cubed

Mac Pro: 5,497,896 mm cubed

sadly it is still nowhere near the size of the Mac Pro and only has 1 video card slot where the Mac Pro has 2. this confirms my sentiment that there needs to be another mobo standard that has a really long, narrow shape and possibly no built-in ports panel.

i'm sure you're all very relieved i won't own an alienware any more! thank you for your support!

that was the second one a tried, and as noted it didn't work unless i used drag and drop instead of the button method, lol. also had to manually resize one partition. eventually it worked, though but that seems to be a bug.

lmao yeah im sure this kickstarter project will result in an actual tangible object

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

or you could just go to aliexpress and buy a literal whole computer that looks like that for 100 dollars

"computer"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pram posted:

that's actually cups. which is made by Apple corporation Cupertino California

cups is a cool and good apple product

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

triple sulk posted:

lol if he hasnt blocked u on twitter

lol if you on twitter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

anthonypants posted:

you can go into the power options and tell it to disable wake timers or try this in a powershell window [System.Windows.Forms.Application]::SetSuspendState([System.Windows.Forms.PowerState]::Suspend, $true, $true);

lol

so much easier than using system preferences

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
wtf does epic use vb6 for? can you even use directx/ogl with vb6?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh that epic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
what does IoT core actually run anyway? i can't imagine there are very many apps for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

basically.

it can run "non-interactive" console programs and some windows platform apps

oh, and telnet, of course

sounds like a very secure platform for the Internet of Things

• Locked thread