Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Just as a warning to anyone who liked Amnesia: Dark Descent and hasn't heard about Machine for Pigs yet: don't buy it. All the gameplay has been stripped out, there are no legitimate puzzles, the story blows, and it's 3 hours long, tops. Even if you could get it extremely cheap, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone know some good (preferably jump-scare free) stealth/chasing games ala RE3 or Amnesia? I love games where you have to elude and run from monsters, but most games are either blatantly scripted or it's too easy to dispatch the monster.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, I don't remember even starting to hear about reaction videos until Amnesia: Dark Descent came out. I'm still kinda amazed that it turned into A Thing at all. Some of the Amnesia ones were fantastic but they're also the only ones I've had any desire to watch, it was such a great game for this.

Here's my favorite one called "Brad finds an iron maiden" that also seems really genuine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=env3EtA7KXQ

That's like, the fakest-sounding screaming I've ever heard, and the situation isn't even the slightest bit scary.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

What would be the "correct" order to play through the Penumbra/Amnesia games?

Play Overture > Black Plague > Amnesia: Dark Descent. Skip Penumbra: Requiem and Machine for Pigs cause Requiem is basically just a mediocre puzzle pack, while Machine for Pigs is Amnesia in name and reference only. The story is dumb as hell and all the gameplay has been completely scrapped; no puzzles, no light/sanity systems, pathetic monsters, nothing actually fun or scary, and it's only 2 hours long.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Animatronic ghosts (that is to say, ghosts of animatronic characters, not animatronics possessed by ghosts) though, are terrifying.

Something I've been thinking about lately regarding horror games - do you guys think it's possible to give players the ability to fight and kill enemies, without making combat horribly clunky and unfun, and still have them want to take a stealthy approach? The thing that got me thinking about it originally is the main difference between the Penumbra series and Amnesia, where they just removed weapons entirely and made it so you could only hide. The combat in Penumbra was pretty awful anyway, but clearly the developers still felt that allowing players that option wasn't the right choice to make the game scary.

I've been thinking about it a lot in the larger context of stealth games in general. Most of them are really less about avoiding enemies and just about picking them off one at a time until the area is empty and you can just move through unimpeded. Yeah generally there will be some kind of bonus for not killing dudes, but then they go and hamstring that by giving you "non-lethal" options which are functionally the same as just killing them. To me a horror game should be fundamentally stealth-based (if it's going to have enemies at all, anyway - there's lots of ways to be scary without monsters), otherwise you end up with the RE4/Dead Space kind of thing where it's really more of an exceptionally gruesome action game than horror. I just don't feel like taking away the player's ability to defend themselves at ALL is totally incompatible with stealth - I find stealth games a lot more interesting where you can still potentially recover after being discovered, rather than just getting a straight game over.

I find that the perfect line between combat/no combat is something a little like Shattered Memories, where you can't directly defeat enemies, but you can slow them down with traps and flares. I do agree that combat does reduce the horror when you know you can totally kill the monsters, and absolutely no combat hurts it when you're hosed if you get discovered no matter what, so I'm surprised more games don't have ways to stun enemies for a second by throwing a rock at them, or something.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I need video of this. I can't get the image of some dude in a white sheet running up to the PC and yelling "Boh" out of my head.

Why would someone yell "Boh" at you?? :confused:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Cry of Fear is very bad and its monsters are poor imitations of Silent Hill monsters.

Regardless of ridiculous voice acting and enemy designs, it's one hell of a technically impressive game. All that is running on the Half-Life 1 engine.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mindblast posted:

And ported to the MT Framework engine. :drat: that's pretty impressive and just made it more likely for me to want it since that suggests it will be technically sound. I vaguely recall REmake having an unorthodox difficulty select. Was 'I like rock climbing" the normal or hard setting I can't recall.

Hiking was easy, Mountain Climbing was hard.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mindblast posted:

In that case I'm confused, what's normal then?

Oh, Mountain Climbing is Normal, I just meant it was the harder of the two choices cause I forgot there was a real Hard mode :downs:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Ocean House Hotel from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, the asylum from The Suffering, and Lakeside Amusement Park from Silent Hill 3 to name a few.

You mentioned Silent Hill 3 and not Otherworld Brookhaven? Shame on you :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I dimly remember Parasite Eve 2 also had a sewer level with a giant rear end alligator, was it good

Parasite Eve 1 had the alligator, but Parasite Eve 2 had a secret tunnel under a well if that counts.

e: PE2 is also actually a really good game

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Silent Hill 3 is just a drat great game overall. Be sure to play with headphones cause the soundtrack is great in a "this is the most horrible thing ever and I desperately wish I was anywhere else" way.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

SH3 bombards you with so many enemies that you're just gonna lose health trying to get rid of all of them. From what I remember, anyway.

Funnily enough, the combat system was advanced to the point where you can totally melee them all to death with almost 0 risk, thanks to blocking. You can safely block so many attacks, including ones you would never think of, like Split Worm's bite (not the instakill one).

e: vvv Again, a good change. Didn't SH2 have like, 2-3 basic enemies that were all weak as hell? If you're going to have a horror game, the monsters should be plentiful and threatening.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 22, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

al-azad posted:

I don't know how much it cost but Gone Home was developed by four people living together. It took a year and a half using Unity so it can be assumed the budget was relatively small.

But we're talking about the same community that dumped 3.3 million into a documentary on the making of an adventure game, 4.1 million into the spiritual successor of Planescape, 3.8 million on Not-Megaman, and something in the range of 80+ million and counting on a space game that doesn't even have a real game wrapped around it. Nerds will spend money on creators they like and eat up whatever they crap out. I readily admit my lack of knowledge on game development but while a self-funded Not-Silent Hills may not look as good it could still be a fun, scary game.

At least Gone Home made a really fun CounterStrike map?

Also, some horror games benefit from bad graphics. I'm not saying that it should be one of those loving "5 minutes in Blender" Slenderman games, but something like Afraid of Monsters would not be nearly as uncomfortable if it had better graphics.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think Silent Hill 3 is the best because not only is it deeply uncomfortable to play, with its body horror aspects and oppressive sound design, but it's just a better GAME than the others. The combat system is great, the enemy variety is worlds better than 2, and the puzzles are particularly fiendish. I find the other games fall down on some of these fronts, while 3 is extremely well-rounded.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I love horror games with serious enemy presence on top of an already terrifying game. Silent Hill 3 (as I mentioned earlier), Alien: Isolation, Resident Evil 3 (although 'terrifying' is a little dubious)... any other great games with unrelenting enemies? Amnesia is almost perfect, but the enemies and encounters are too scripted. I love games where you can either kill the enemies, but they're incredibly tough and numerous, or you can't at all and you have to rely on stealth, tactics, or traps.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Games where you can only stun or temporarily impede the big scary monster are the best; it gives you the immediate gratification of being able to do something (however brief), reinforces that you should be running rather than fighting due to the temporary nature of your solution, and helps build up the enemy as truly threatening.
The flamethrower in Alien: Isolation was an absolutely perfect example, especially as it developed a mutual understanding between you and the alien. I heard that once you teach it that fire = bad, it will become more courageous and eventually completely ignore the fire, but will immediately become wary the moment it even sees the pilot light come on.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Alien Isolation is ok. But I thought it was loving cheap how the Alien would just ignore the androids, and imagine that most of the enemies in the game were androids despite the humans being a lot more interesting to fight.

There were also times where the Alien just pissed me off to no end because he would escape into the vents and then pop right back down 5 seconds later.

Solid game, but it was full of nitpicks that ate away at me after a while to the point where I was glad for it to be over with when I finished it.

The alien doesn't give a poo poo about androids because they're not alive. Also, depending on your difficulty, the alien is actually specifically trying to fake you out with the vents. If it knows you're nearby but can't find you, it'll try to fool you into thinking it's gone. Alternatively, if you tossed a bomb or torched it, it's just coming back for revenge; you're supposed to use weapons for breathing room, not as an actual 'go away for a while' button.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

There's a bundle going on for Dementium 2 HD right now. The screenshots for that don't look terrible, is it any good?

It was was a shooter originally on the DS. Like, the original DS. It was actually a pretty good novelty there, and it's not a dreadfully awful game outside of that, but it's definitely a 'guilty pleasure' kinda game. It is arguably bad on the PC but the core gameplay works. Even if you don't like it, you can probably recoup the price of the game if you get a foil card.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 17, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I wrote a walkthrough on GameFAQs of Dementium 2 to get like $20 Amazon bucks. I couldn't believe how much email I received for that, I think the last one I received was last year.

Edit: It has a cliffhanger ending, which annoyed me.

I've played both games and even though they're completely average with a lot of bad points, I still like them for some weird reason. The endings suck rear end though, yes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

The new enemy in Spooky's is loving horrifying, jesus christ

What is it?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Promise? This is exactly why I haven't picked up Isolation so far despite my love of the film. How does it actually play out, then? I feel like every other post I read about the game mentions waiting for the Alien to leave, making for the exit, then watching the Alien pop right back out of the same spot and having to go back to hiding - it sounded even worse than the usual tedium, but I'd be really happy to have misjudged this one.

re: Siren, I'll definitely give it credit for doing something more interesting with the idea, but I'm not sure I'd go all the way to praising its execution. Caveat: I only played the original, maybe the design got more cohesive as they went. Is there a version you think works particularly well?

Alien Isolation is a proper stealth game, as opposed to Amnesia's mostly scripted events. The alien exists in the game world persistently and will patrol and follow you around, as well as slowly learn your habits and lay in wait itself. You have to move quickly or it'll pinpoint your location and kill you, but change your tactics enough so it doesn't catch on and figure you out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ekster posted:

Lockers are death traps in Isolation, also the Alien tends to 'sniff' you out if you stay in one area for too long. The best tactic by far is to keep moving whenever you have the chance and make use of distractions like flares and noisemakers when necessary.

Also the Alien will 'learn' your behavior if you keep repeating it so you better be able to adapt. It's honestly implemented well and makes the Alien a lot scarier than if it were just scripted.

I like the dynamic with the flamethrower: scorching it once or twice will make it flee, but if you keep doing it, it'll become more resistant to the fire, but it will also pause and be wary if you just pull it out. After that it flat-out ignores the fire and kills you, but I think it'll eventually learn that if you're out of fuel and the pilot light isn't on, it'll realize that it won't work and will rush you.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Intro spoilers: You wake up in the hospital during a spec ops attack, and you and some other guy have to sneak out while Snake is still rubbery and weak after being in a coma, while all the doctors and patients are murdered in front of you. Also, there's a horrible fiery apparition that keeps reappearing, that has very strange plot implications...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Walk me through why Dark Descent is better than Machine for Pigs. Is it the superficial Lovecraft, the half-assed sanity mechanics, or the resource management?

Yes, as well as having actual puzzles, a plot that makes sense, and characters. Also you can play it for more than 2 hours.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I wish there were more games like Alien: Isolation. I was wishing for a stealth-horror game with a truly dynamic, persistent main enemy for years, finally got it, and then realized how few games there were that appropriately scratched the itch. Anyone else know some games along that style that aren't scripted as gently caress or riddled with cheap jumpscares?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Origins is like the most :geno: game ever. It's not really awful but there's not much good to say about it either. It's not offensively bad in a hilarious way like Homecoming, but not interesting-but-extremely-flawed like Downpour. It's just the blandest, most baseline and mediocre faux-SH2 experience possible.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sharzak posted:

How come people hate homecoming so much? That's the one that brought me back to the series and I remember it being pretty alright until I went online and read that it was bad.

Apart from just being a glitchy as gently caress game, the writing was pretty nonsensical and all over the place. Not to mention the combat and movement were a little too swift, and the characters too lucid, to capture the actual survival horror feeling. I feel a Silent Hill game is defined by its surreal, dreamlike atmosphere, where you stumble through increasingly hosed up environments solving obtuse puzzles, with clumsy combat punctuated with baffling cutscenes where the characters sort of talk past each other and don't properly address what's going on. Homecoming was too forward with its imagery, and characters too lucid and acknowledging of the otherworld and the events around them. Also, the cult plot point is widely considered one of the weaker aspects of the original series; Homecoming goes full-bore with it to the point of having totally ordinary human beings as enemies later on.

SH4 and 0 are the only post-3 games that I feel actually capture some part of the original magic. 4 has some pretty spooky enemies and scare rooms evocative of SH3 (the hospital world is pretty good), and manages to keep that uncomfortable atmosphere while also tying up a few loose plot points. 0, while extremely bland, has a couple environments and scenes reminiscent of 2.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 23, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Actually I think this fits into canon as the Burn of 16, oh snap!

So how was FNaF world? Did it do anything interesting? I haven't been following it very closely but considering its namesake I was kinda expecting it to pull a Pony Island and go "You think this is a cute RPG but ACTUALLY IT'S HORROR AAAAAAA".

From what I can tell it's a cry for help from the creator, flat-out insulting his ravenous fanbase who will accept any bilge he shoves down their throats.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The recent RE7 demo reminded me that I'm one of the lucky few people with a copy of PT still... and I've never played it cause I'm a goddamn pansy :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Haunting Ground is a good game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think the ship would be fine if you didn't have to play through the first time on the tape. Having to do the same area twice in a row is a little tiring.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The entire section where the game forces you to give up your weapons and every other item is tense as gently caress and it's entirely done through the gameplay.

While I agree that story is by far Silent Hill 2's strongest aspect (christ knows I don't think much of its gameplay compared to its peers in the series) the gameplay definitely has its moments and that game wouldn't work at all if it weren't a survival horror game, with the bang bang shooty gun and whacking things with planks.

I think SH2's problem is that the enemy variety is terrible. 80% of the monsters are piss easy mannequins and patient demons, with nurses added in later. While it is an amazing story, SH3 definitely has it beaten in terms of core gameplay. I personally prefer SH3's more explicit body-horror-and-pounding-music style of fear, too.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 22, 2017

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

I'd highly recommend avoiding two enemies in the game cause they are a bitch and a half and can be easily avoided; the first is a flying enemy and the second is a spastic, crawling enemy....you'll know'em when you see them and just avoid them like the plague.

I actually kill all the crawling guys just cause they're so goddamn obnoxious to try and run around. Also, the Closers (the enemies with punching bags for arms) need to be mentioned cause they're borderline immortal and hit like freight trains.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I played as Sherry in RE6 :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Machine for Pigs is hot garbage compared to the original Amnesia. Actually, it's honestly hot garbage in a vacuum. It's 3 hours of absolutely inscrutable, pretentious nonsense with no puzzles, items, or monsters that can actually catch you. Dark Descent is not only infinitely more interesting and better written, but there's an actual, you know, game to it. Machine for Pigs is one of my biggest gaming purchase regrets.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty cool, that game Scrutinized now has always had that that 'no jumpscares' mode that you can tick box on and off any time in options, which turns off the loud bwang spin around scares when you get got, but does still keep the outside threats active and able to get you just without the loud jolts, they just now added 'Detective Mode' as well which is that, but turning off the invaders entirely, if you only wanna do the spooky Papers Please-y side of the game without the window lock and light flickering plate spinner gameplay. The dev's been jumping at the demand for accessibility options with this one right out the gate, which is real nice.

That sounds really rad; I loved the idea behind Welcome to the Game but I hated that all the tells for the baddies were super imperceptibly quiet, but the hack alert and 'gotcha' sounds were deafeningly loud. I want to play my spooky deep web game without being deafened, please.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SirDrone posted:

Not that it's really horror but remembering it from an old thread this scooby doo flash tie-in game for the release of the second movie had this as a jumpscare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAWCZpQKZQ

I bet children loved this.

Oh my loving god I was just thinking about this the other day. I remember way back in elementary computer class that some kid managed to find this and scare the bajeezus out of everyone in what was supposed to be safe fun monitored website hours. Who'da thunk Scooby-Doo would traumatize the whole class? On that tangent, remember that The Grudge flash game? That was the ultimate scariest thing to a bunch of 11 year olds.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hel posted:

Hanging non to the monsters as glitches thing, is there any game that makes monsters or things seem off by having them animate at different frame rates than the rest of the game? Would that even work without gamers complain about it being buggy?

The ghost of Richard in SH4 has this kind of thing going on; he's animated really strangely, at seemingly random speeds and occasionally even in reverse, and he just sort of zips and flits around even to the point of vanishing out of existence sometimes. It's really odd and unsettling because nothing else behaves like him at all.

e: the gallery at the bottom of this page has some good gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

Not a fan of the pre-canned spooks inside houses, but you do sometimes get in over your head in that game, and it's some real poo poo. Stranded, low on resources, hunted by enemies, and trying to figure out how to abuse the mechanics in order to get back to base in one piece.

Game could really, really use some kind of goal or main quest though, boy does it get boring once you've 'made it'.

I highly recommend cranking the difficulty up to max (Insane) and setting the loot to 25% once you've gotten experienced with the game; the default difficulty/loot settings are far too easy/generous IMO. Playing Permadeath on top of all of this helps kill the 'well now what?' feeling because you really need to start to scramble just to keep yourself alive as the game goes on.