Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Non Serviam posted:

These include putting a sock inside of a coffee mug and the microwaving it (no idea what this accomplished),

I've seen this before, actually, and it's to give yourself warm socks for cold nights. I'm not sure how well it works, but I assume that it's in a mug because the ceramic will actually be heated around it. I'm not sure a sock in a microwave would be heated well at all on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Keep the front half, and make so you can put it back together when you're not using it to prop up your phone.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Just don't eat vegetables. Problem solved.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

That coleslaw in particular doesn't look particularly good, but generally this is an incorrect life hack.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Why does every instructional video on youtube always have a seemingly mandatory solid minute+ of fluff before they actually get to the instructions?

Also lifehack: just buy exclusively twist top beers if you don't want to have to worry about not being able to open your beer.

Same reason that infomercials have a few seconds of black-and-white clips of people doing stupid poo poo. They need to let you know what dumb problem they're trying to solve, because it's very rarely a problem that needs any further solving.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Real protip: Stick to hard liquor instead.

This is the thread for Life Hacks, not protips.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

zedprime posted:

Chiropractic is good for getting a massage while working toward your insurance deductible but that's an extremely white middle class lifehack. And you need to watch out of the ones who start touching things above the shoulders because they are probably going to break your neck or knock an artery loose. Results not guaranteed below the shoulders either because I had a friend limp away from a chiropractic session with dislocated ribs.

There are also people the believe chiropractic also has healing capabilities beyond pain relief, I think. Like, if you've got a genuine sickness, getting your spine adjusted semi-regularly will somehow cure you of this. It really straddles the line of fairly helpful and potentially dangerous, and it all comes down to the what person performing it believes it can do.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

zedprime posted:

Yeah but the person was mentioning legitimate things it can do, which is at best give you free (potentially violent and dangerous) massages depending on your insurance plan terms.

Yeah, sorry, I missed parts of the conversation before his post. But now that I'm looking it up, holy poo poo:

"Wikipedia: Chiropractic controversy and criticism posted:

Chiropractors historically were strongly opposed to vaccination based on their belief that all diseases were traceable to causes in the spine, and therefore could not be affected by vaccines. Some chiropractors continue to be opposed to vaccination.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I was referring to this:

Don't start your potatoes in boiling water, OR ELSE... ???

You should start in cold water, not must.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Croccers posted:

loving cripes, really?
I thought they were just medical pain-relive back massages along with acupuncture.

Zooper Doopers are the best. Check out the flavours:

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?
SPACE... PINE.. APPLE? :shrug:

Wanna live in the Orange Quadrant.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I want to know why their lighting is still so noticeably different despite the Wall coming down 26 years ago. So yes, I want to know why East and West Berlin still have different lighting so long after reunification.

Money, basically. Here's the article that picture's from.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2013/apr/21/astronaut-chris-hadfield-berlin-divide

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I never in my life thought I'd hear a cheese grater described as "badass". Like, it's an old tin can. How is that badass?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Palpek posted:

I am imagining all of this being done by the same person.

Scenes from the Lives of the Profoundly Sad

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Please tell me more about this life hack.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Paladinus posted:

Leave your hot water running to cook a sausage, if you have nothing but hot tap water, a string, and a sausage.

I thought this might be it, but I refused to believe. This is my favorite gif on the internet.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Are you in a situation where you're being buried alive, but don't have your hands bound together, and have the room to remove your shirt? You're in luck, then!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

A long spoon with a thing to hold your phone on the end. This is the future Asimov envisioned for us. The future is now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Guy Mann posted:

It's true, novelty items never existed until [age at which person started to get old and out of touch].

Novelty items have been around since forever, but I've never heard them referred as "sci-fi gadgets".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

How to make 3 cheese pizza: Put 3 cheeses in a bowl.

How to cook 2 pizzas at once: Put 2 pizzas in your oven.

How to cut a pizza into 10 slices: Cut a pizza 5 times.

My life has been hacked.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Karma Monkey posted:

What's funny to me is that this thing is a redux of something that was done in the 70s. My hippie uncle had one. :420:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrHnhMGWEc

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, but hippies didn't spend $50 on the gadget to do it.

According to an inflation adjust I found online, $7.77 wasn't that far off from what $50 is today. So I guess they did.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Trebek posted:

Well he does assume you know how to purchase and shred three different types of cheese.

Who says you even need to shred it? Just buy 3 bags of pre-shredded cheese, and then feel like an artisan by mixing them in a big ol' bowl.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

How do i make the bowls

Pick some 2 liter bottles out of the trash, cut out the bottom parts, and use them to store small amounts of cheese. For the big bowl to mix the cheeses, line an adult-size shoe box with cling wrap. Line the lid with cling wrap and close over the cheese to make mixing it fun and easy for kids!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure this one is legit

Not sure that type of mouthpiece would work with a glass bottle, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Karate Bastard posted:

Lifehack: adjust your expectations and never be disappointed again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep trying to convince my parents to use this hack, but they just won't go for it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Len posted:

The thing that gets me is pallets are splintery and frequently falling apart. Why would anyone want those in their house?

Manufactured rustic aesthetic appeal.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
This could all just be solved by not going outside in the first place. Life hacked.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Jerry's not on board.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I.C. posted:

I think the world is ready for the Prawn Bonnet.

Do you think it could handle making pastries?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Aren't good hashbrowns usually fried? Wouldn't you need to put a decent amount of oil on the waffle iron to make them any good?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Paladinus posted:

Cheese is nature's mayo.

I've found it. The ultimate life hack.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Randaconda posted:

But cheese is delicious, and mayo is loving disgusting.

Correct. Replace all mayo with cheese.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

vyelkin posted:

I have a lifehack which is to use your coffeemaker to make coffee

That sounds like a real hassle, and a waste of energy. Couldn't I also put an egg in the coffee pot a cook that egg with the cooked coffee?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Haifisch posted:

Just eat the raw coffee grounds. Tell everyone it's 'deconstructed' coffee so you can feel fancy.

Eat raw coffee grounds, egg in the basket, fish in the carafe. Got it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I know that this is the lifehack thread and all, but this is some "Tired of fridge owls??" level poo poo.

Like, god drat, if only someone could invent a machine to blink a flashlight at my skillet once every 11 seconds while it preheats to save me the hassle of doing it manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUvD6VvFno

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Finally, a life hack I can use.

Why not just cut out the middle man and drink cough syrup?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Sunswipe posted:

I guess if you really place no value on your time and really want a poo poo knife, that's a great idea. Or you could just pay $3 for one that's almost certainly better.

I mean, if I already have a couple of coins, a butter knife I wasn't using, a belt sander, a dremel, a drill press, and an inordinate amount of free time, it really seems like a waste to spend that extra $3 on something I can just make at home!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

rydiafan posted:

lol if you don't have Enrique remind you that no one loves you and you will die alone.

lol if Enrique doesn't love you and would not softly cradle you in his arms as you die. just lol.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Cover your wall in goop to distract someone from an unpleasant reality. Life hacked.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I can't believe that smearing goop on your wall didn't work as a life hack. Disappointing. What a conundrum. Maybe try different goops?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just cooked macaroni on a frying pan is it a life-hack even though it turned out just fine and saved a bit of water?

Do it again, but this time do a time lapse video with some jangly guitar music. That'll make it a life hack.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seems like a lot more effort :thunk: I could sing a bit if that helps?

If you're gonna sing, you may as well do it in real time and use a whole bunch of jump cuts. Try to make sure you also have something audibly buzzing or humming somewhere nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Finally, a use for all of these worthless forklifts I have just lying around my house collecting dust. Please, hack my forklift, Jerry Cotton.