Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I'm an edmontonian car-haver! came here from BC, which has luxuries like roads with corners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
So, how does one get involved with the leduc 1000?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Studded tires are only really good on ice anyway, and they suck on the highway, IMO.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Any of you have experience with a hose heater instead of a regular block heater? Or one of those immersion tank circulating deals? I want to up my heating capacity this winter so my car warms up faster. Considered an oil pan heater, but I've heard they carry a fire risk, and I park in a garage at home.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Almost all newer car engines lack frost plugs because of how casting techniques have improved, which means they have contact heaters instead, and those are quite poo poo. If you want about equivalent performance with an old block heater, get a hose heater.

Some companies try to push oil heaters as the best things, since it heats "the whole engine instead of just the water" and poo poo like that, but thanks to how oil transmits heat (not very well compared to water) they are also a lot less effective than a hose heater.

EDIT: A swedish car magazine did this test in the latest issue.

Slangvärmare = Hose heater.
Kontaktvärmare = Contact heater.
Olja = oil temp down in the pan, at the tip of the dipstick.
Topplock V H = cylinder head temp, left and right.

This after three hours with respective heater, after the car was kept at -20 for 10 hours before plugging them in. All temps in celsius.

So....hose heater, coolant gets toasty, but oil stays cool, and with the contact heater the oil gets toasty but the coolant stays frosty. Am I right to thing that having your coolant warm will get the oil warmer faster than the oil having to warm the block and coolant? Also, lately I've been checking out webasto and espar fuel fired heaters, those look like the cats rear end. I can pick one up on German ebay for about 300€ for one from a scrapped late model car. Sweetest thing is the units can be set up to turn on your heater fan once the coolant is warm, which gets your interior nice and comfy. Way, way more complicated and expensive than an electric setup though, with a side of potential to set something on fire.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/running-driving-stopping-old-70-galaxie-ragtop/1054354908?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

it would be a pretty bad idea to buy this solely for the purpose of driving it to BC for an extended camping/road trip, right? right?

edit: nnnnnggghhhh and there's like three Lincoln Continentals near me for less than two grand. always wanted a huge V8 car, just for kicks. my sidewalk parking spot was looking kind of empty anyway.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 4, 2015

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ExecuDork posted:

Top down in the snow for photos, engine running so you can see the smoke - I like this seller's style!

Buy this car, and throw in another $10 to get the seller a membership here.

I don't think that's smoke, looks like condensation to me? anyway, emailed him, gonna look at it tomorrow if he every gets back to me with his address. summer beater ahoy!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I'm currently balancing pros and cons of a plastidip or Maaco paint job. Probably about the same longevity, hahaha

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
So, looked at the car. Top works, engine runs great, tranny seems to operate fine. Of course, the body is full of filler, and there's rust in most of the nooks and crannies I looked in. Also all of the weatherstripping is dry rotted out and the dash is cracked. Pretty sure it sat in a field for a long while before some guy pulled it out, filled the obvious holes, and primered it before putting it up for sale.

Gonna throw out a lowball, see what happens.

EDIT: nope, not even a little bit :(

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 7, 2015

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I had to get an insurance inspection on and old truck I had. The truck had 500 000 km on it, three shocks that were connected to the chassis, and the tires were utterly worn out. Passed with flying colours.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

I buy everything at auctions because i have a gambling problem.

I'm up probably $3k on the BMW after 12,000kms, $5k on the lincoln, down $5k on the king ranch after 30,000kms, up $1k on cores alone with the F250, lost $3k on the subaru, and the $17k mack did the work of $100k truck and earned over $300k and would still probably sell for what i paid for it.

In 5 years, i've paid $46k for 6 vehicles, driven 200,000kms, and if i sold everything right now, would be at about $49k

That's not counting repairs and such, but really that's in the cost of driving 200,000kms

i know a guy who just lost 20k on a car he bought at auction. it was stolen, VIN swapped. somehow whoever did the out of province and whoever was supposed to check for bad VINS at the auction both missed the Dymo labler vin tags.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

iv46vi posted:

Sounds hosed up, hopefully works out for you.

Did you happen to see if they sold the 850 bmw?

Definitely curious about the 850, I need to know what the current value of one is these days. Even more curious to see what's happened with powershift's mafia-mobile.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
At least you're not the guy who bought a stolen/vin swapped benz at auction and then found out it was stolen when he bought a new key at the dealer, powershift.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I was last in Banff they had some kind of French knockoff of a Unimog tooling around. I kept trying to get closer but it was always a few blocks away.

Shitness aside I'd love to import a Steyr-Puch Panda 4WD from the 80s but I could not find any equivalent to the JDM auction sites for Italian cars.

For recent visitors to Canada including students you can import an otherwise illegal car for personal use that can't be registered by anyone else in the country. Someone on the Subaru club forums came from Australia and brought his 2002 STI wagon with him a few years ago. It ended up becoming parts at Spanky's for whatever reason.

I can't tell you about auction sites, but mobile.de is a huuuuge car sales site, and there's bound to be several pandas for sale on n there. Once you have it shipped here, isn't it basically the same process as getting a jdm car?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Almost all of the stereotypes. Didn't see any cousin-wives, so only four stars.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hahahaha, ooooh boy I'll bet that made a noise. How bad was the damage?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo the entire population of retard island is starting to drive around Lethbridge showing off everything from genuinely awesome cars to laughably bad "show" cars and some which must be genuine troll cars. The Northside crappy tire parking lot is literally full of hillbillies polishing their pickups.

Alberta AI: Hillbillies polishing their pickups

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Not cool, bro.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

It's a rolling probable cause truck man.
I'm not seriously suggesting drake is a nazi ffs.

e: Like you really thought something like that?

Naw man, I like you guys! I just don't like seeing nazi poo poo pasted on stuff. It's a German cultural shame thing, really.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Would these make decent tool carts for a mechanic?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I don't know about legit, that sounds like asking to get fired, IMO. But hey, that's not your problem :v:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
glad it all worked out, that's a good score dude!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Yup. I have done this, more or less.

I've written out o bill of sale on a diner napkin to prove it could be done.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Because it's been parked in a field for 15 years and the "drivers floor" is actually refers to everything lower than the doors?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The AMVIC inspection dealers have to do is pretty much bullshit and only fails vehicles with huge issues.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Instead of electric solar, would solar heating be worth it instead? Would that even work in our frigid winters? I helped someone install a thermal setup when I was living in Europe, and it was pretty neat. The heated coolant went into a heat exchanger/thermal sink (replacing the water heater) and the excess thermal capacity went into the swimming pool. The thermal sink had its own heating element, so if you took a long shower at night or whatever you still had hot water.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, geothermal heating/cooling sounds pretty sweet and is relatively well known. but I’m talking solar heating via panels you put in your roof which heat a coolant that is then run into a heat exchanger to heat a households hot water.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Best pasta place? Corso 32. Downtown on jasper, they do two feedings a day. Make sure you have a reservation. Get the fried cheese and leek appetizer.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I mean, I guess if you have the fresh oil measured out and ready to go, and a pan with a full level marked out, you could theoretically do a running oil change. Filter on a running engine would get reaaaaaal messy though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Don‘t they have dye packs in the cassettes?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Albino Squirrel posted:

C class. Nice as far as cars built in third world countries* go. They say they'll try to get me into a GLC which is the same size as my car, but I'm not holding my breath.

*Alabama

On the upside, you’re putting miles on a car that isn’t yours for a while, right? Weird that the ETA for the pump is so far off, should be like 3-4 weeks max unless there aren’t any available world wide for some reason.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Seems pretty shady that the RB listing doesn’t mention it’s an ex-police vehicle.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

ooooooooh, that gives me dirty ideas.

Did you put a breaker bar on it and see if she spins?

Also, I'm looking for, ideally, 2 GM LFX 3.6s, so if you spot one let me know. Row52 showed an impala in Edmonton, but it wasn't there when i went.

I might end up settling for 2 3.6 pentastars, because caravans seem to be more common in those yards.

Building a ghetto V12?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
What what kind of crazy machine is this going into?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Y’know, American cars like that should cylinders in denominations of 8.

LS1 blocks are 23” each, plus a few more for the balancer.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yo squirrel,

Your GLC has an engine known to consume oil when the engine ventilation system freezes up, which happens at cold temps like we’re experiencing now. When this happens, it will suck all of the oil out of the crankcase and blow it out the exhaust. Watch out for oil smell or smoke, check engine light may or may not come on. If it gets bad enough, there will be oil dripping out the tail pipes. The engine does not have a low oil warning, so if it’s not caught it will lead to catastrophic engine failure.

I’m not saying your engine IS about to ‘splode, but it’s still an option.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Albino Squirrel posted:

I am generally an idiot when it comes to cars. Normally I go to Fountain Tire to get my seasonal tires flipped - they're stored on rims in my garage.

How stupid of an idea is it for me to change my tires using only the emergency tools that came with the cars? I also may have a hexagonal head that'll fit my power drill and the nuts on the wheels.

Very doable, just please get some jack stands and a torque wrench, do it properly. The jack that comes with any car really is meant for emergency use only, but a basic hydraulic one doesn’t cost all that much.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hey, just a heads up for Alberta AI goons, the NASCC winter ice racing school is on January 20th (with a classroom session on the 19th) in the Edmonton area. I’ve done it before and it’s well worth the 235$ entry fee just to hoon around on an ice track with an instructor for a day. I don’t currently have an eligible car for it so I won’t be making it :(

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, parking your car indoors, heated or not is a huge improvement over outdoors. Goes a long way g way to making Alberta winters more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
It’s always a little unsettling when you get in a car that’s -37 inside and the seat foam feels like a brick.