Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I always get a chuckle out of people who talk about running the government like a business as if its a good thing.

I've worked for plenty of corps that have C level employees who spend money on the dumbest things. Like $50k presentations for 200 employees, private plane trips across country to attend some meeting and get back home to the west coast an hour earlier than a commercial flight, buying dumb decorations for their office, etc.

Human green and stupidity are unfortunately not relegated to one single industry.

It's far more pernicious than that.

A corporations goal is to offer the least service or good for the most amount of money.

A governments goal is to offer the most service or good for the least amount of money.

There is no middle ground, you either strive to achieve one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

4 hours post interview and I still feel like throwing up.

I literally can’t think of anything else worse than interviewing for a job.

Being cross examined in court

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

If it's persistent, mutli-user, I believe that's close if not already in Preview. If it's non-persistent of either flavor... expect to keep waiting for a bit.

We have hundreds of these in production, so preview or not MS is willing to give them full support.

Except if you need DLP on them, then no vendor (including MS) has a supported product.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Persistent or non-persistent? Although MS's "non-persistent" is a bit of a misnomer, because those VDIs continue existing after reboot and only get destroyed on a new golden image redeploy, which is different than how everyone else handles it. So in theory it probably "mostly works," even for non-persistent.

And yeah, Microsoft is generally pretty good about supporting their stuff in Preview. They are trying to get the product out the door, after all.

Persistent, though we have scaling enabled, so if all users sign out a VM will be shut down until demand rises enough.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

The lunch was 8 god drat dollars. Come on man. I don't know why it annoys me so, but it does.

Instead of the company paying you for your time, you paid the company for using your time. The amount doesn't matter, it violates the agreement between you and the company.

Stop going.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

We are supposed to have a process of:
1. Tier 1: Gets the call, gets user info like name, location, call back and basic ticket info, and if it something they can't fix. Escalate to a person called the Incident Manager.
2. Incident Manager: Looks at ticket, checks to see if processes were followed, if so, sends up.
3. Tier 2. Does intermediate troubleshooting, gets more detail and makes decision on ticket. Sends back to Incident Manager with note on which group to escalate too.
4. Incident Manager forwards ticket on to Tier 3 group.
5. Tier 3 hopefully fixes problem, then resumes staring in the void.

What actually happens:
1. Tier 1. Gets call, get the name, but often doesn't get contact info or check location. If ticket seems to fit certain keywords, they will escalate the ticket to the group. Sometimes they will IM people to let them know what is up, and if they are around. Other times will just transfer the person over. If they don't get a simple match, they will send to Incident Manager.
2. Incident Manager now blindly forwards ticket based on a keyword. Gets very salty if a ticket is immediately sent back because of lack of info.
3. Tier 2. Their department has been turned into a catch all department and now have people who are given the responsibility of admins, but not the pay. Department is stretched very thin, so if any tickets land on them to look at, they instantly forward it up.
4. Tier 3. Instead of doing admin and engineer duties, many of us are doing tier 1 tasks.

The problem is, any attempt by someone above tier 2 to fix that is instantly shot down, as the manager of the Tier 1/2 groups will not listen to anything anyone says to him.

I see you work for the company I do, only 5 years in the past. Don’t worry, they will outsource T1/T2 soon, and then you will have a contracting company that won’t do anything not in the contract, with employees who leave the moment they get the tiniest skill set, because the front line job is hopelessly overworked and underpaid.

Everything will get dumped on T3, who will get ruthlessly culled for underperforming in a downward spiral without end.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

One of my most memorablehosed up meetings was when the entire office got a meeting invite for 9am on Friday titled "all-hands meeting" when we'd never had an all hands meeting.

I had something similar many jobs ago.

All hands meeting, it was clearly going to be about layoffs even if it wasn't in the name, employees always know. Everybody heads in there, and I get handed the list. I follow the IT part our off-boarding process, which disables accounts, logs them out of anything they were logged into, etc. It's centralized and therefor very quick, so I join the meeting no more than 10 minutes after it started. It's also a long used process, and everybody at all levels is aware of how it works.

The head of HR gets up on stage, tells everyone we are having some layoffs, and to head back to their desks and check if they got the layoff email. HR head then hops off the stage and leaves the meeting room. I casually lean over to my boss and ask how that's going to work as their accounts have been disabled.

It turns into a real poo poo show. HR head has gone from the meeting room directly to their office and locked the door and closed the blinds, refusing to interact with anyone. People are getting back to their desks and seeing their computer at the login screen/prompt and some are pretty emotional about it. The other HR person is completely out of their depth, with no experience to cover this.

In the end, the head of sales gathers everyone who is laid off back up and gets them into the meeting room, guides them through the process, helps them get everything figured out, answers most of their questions, etc. Outstanding demonstration of a manager who is also a human being.

HR head had always been pretty sub par, having been with the company since its inception and responsibilities had grown to way outstrip ability. This revealed they were also a huge coward. Still didn't get them fired though, HR managed to grow a position post layoffs as someone was hired to actually do all the HR work.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

angry armadillo posted:

My boss hates our security team because he says they don't do anything they always say "they just advise"

A new guy joined their team and got assigned to my project, he is really keen and has contributed some helpful ideas.

The real test will be when I ask him to go through the risk assessment thing we have with the technical guy but so far he seems reasonable

I’ve boiled the Infosec departments down to two types:

A. Denies insecure communication
B. Enables secure communication

Only one of these groups has even a chance at success.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

next year will be the first year I actually owe income tax to the US above the foreign earned income exclusion and it’s already an incredibly expensive nightmare.
18k down the drain already for tax prep in advance with more to come :negative:

Dreading this. Put it off last year, going to have a big accountant bill to fix all of it up properly.

P.S. If you have any accountant recommendations, please share. :)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyone do Ansible/AWX? If so, got a few questions.

There is a CI/CD thread in Cavern of COBOL. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

There was a request that when people asked for some specific software, the name of the field changed from "Request software X" to "Request software Y" and part of the setup I would get a task to add the user.
For some reason, I get multiple tasks for this that are named similar things, like "User needs access to Y" and "Setup Y for user" that are both assigned at the same time.

This is for larger companies with automation and workflows. “Access to Y” would be for their manager to approve for billing to start, ‘setup for y’ is supposed to be waiting to trigger on a condition from the ‘access’ request and then do an automated deployment or get assigned if manual steps are needed.

Because the people who on-boarded your company with SNOW don’t understand their own company and didn’t bother learning anything about SNOW. Somebody just said ‘these all belong to IT’ without asking or caring why any of it would exist.

SNOW is capable of a lot, but like any system of this size it’s basically dysfunctional.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Weirdly, Macs for cloud devs works pretty well at my company. These are managed devices, the user gets office, web browser, a suite of unix tools they all seem to like, and an RDP to a Windows VM for most of their code dev.

Beats our windows laptops hands down, though really those are under spec'ed and bloated with security products, which is a sad experience for a lot of users.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

I'm guessing the Windows laptops don't also get a Windows VM, eh?

strangehamster posted:

The perfect machine to use, as long as you have another machine to use?

Yes. The way our environments work is users often have a VM in each one, so most everybody has at least one for some reason or other. Performance or application availability is sometimes a reason, but it’s mostly security and data isolation.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

This is going to be so useful. This is a blue chip company getting TOTALLY owned. It was owned in the most basic ways. I am going to get at least 6 months of about anything I want.

I’m going to get audited. My group will pass, it’s just going to be a pain in the butt.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dameware I liked a lot, the ability to force a session without user permissions was always great. Needs RPC to self-start it's agent, which may be a security issue. Preinstalled agent is fine. We never used the cloud functionality, so it was on-prem only.

Bomgar is really good, can move a session between agents, push/pull files easily, elevate in the 'background' if you want. No ability to force a session unless you preinstall the agent, which costs a lot extra in licensing.

ScreeMeet I do not like at all. Our test of it was integrated into SNOW, and boy did it suck in every way possible because of that. Maybe standalone it's different, but if it gets integrated into your ticketing system, god help you.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge 365
Edge 365
Edge 365 Web
Web Edge 365
Web 365
Microsoft Web 365
Microsoft 365 Web

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

PSA: saying "not to interrupt you" as you interrupt me makes it worse, not better

Can I ask you a question?
Sure, just give me a minute to finish sending this email.
Well, I need to talk to you about <blah blah blah>

If you aren't going to listen to me, why are you asking me questions?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Trying to put 4TB of poo poo into SharePoint is going to break the service and possibly bankrupt you from all the additional storage you’re going to have to buy. I wish MS would come up with something simple that sits on top of Azure Blob or whatever, SharePoint is not a general file server replacement.

OneDrive disagrees.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

Chatgpt is better at coding than most of the people I’ve worked with in my career, and if it can replace the jobs of half of recruiters and SEO spam content writers so much the better. A friend of mine has a job supervising an AI to do content work for clients and it scales a lot better than you think!

A working session on chatgpt is dumb, but a GitHub copilot subscription for the company is not. There’s legit features of use here.

Quoting from a few pages back. I can't help but wonder what is going to happen to the quality when the learning corpus consists of AI generated code from previous version of whatever we were labelling AI at the time being fed into what we hope to call AI in the future.

Dilution might leave us dependent on a system of generating code/automation that can only get worse. For these tools to work, I think we'd need to hire expert coders to sample code output, vet it, and feed it back in if it can be made better. Which no one will do, because it's cheaper to hope someone else is doing that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cyks posted:

I get why companies want a centralized platform but everything I’ve heard (and the experiences I’ve had as a user) just makes it sound like such a pain in the rear end. Both implementations I’ve seen didn’t seem like they justified the cost for the software and FTEs dedicated to it. I’m sure you can make great money supporting it but it isn’t a specialty I would seek out.

But yeah, it’s an entirely different beast than freshworks platforms.

I think almost all of it boils down to two major problems:

It’s really hard to know if a platform will work for your business until you implement it. As a business gets bigger, determining this gets exponentially harder.

Everybody needs to buy in. If any group decides not to join, the product loses its network effect and the value goes way down. This includes leadership buying in to the support needed to implement and maintain. Most of these platforms are a series of APIs that the end business needs to chain together, otherwise it’s only the most basic/example things that will work.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 27, 2023

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

The problem I see with city folk wanting to get a rural escape is they gently caress up the taxes so locals can't afford it anymore or find a random hill and perch their garbage mansion in full view of anyone doing a nearby trail and trying to enjoy nature.

(and then get furious anytime the county doesn't plow their access road instantly)

Also, buying up lands next to public lands, illegally erecting gates or fencing that closes off access, then drawing out any request to get rid of same for years and years in court. Then, at the end, bribing a politician to change the law.

Optionally, just bribe the sheriff from the start to arrest people for 'trespassing' on public land.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
These job listings aren’t mean to be filled. They exist to create unfilled vacancies so the companies can qualify for foreign worker visas, who they will treat like slaves until they quit and get sent home or they are laid off and sent home. The high requirements and low salary are the point, not some out of touch HR thing.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No certs or relevant work experience is going to be a tough way to get in. Can you project manage? IT has an endless need for project managers, and it’ll get you up on the lingo and provide exposure to things that might interest you. Also an income that can be used to pick up training/certs.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

You can put tapes in a fire proof safe and retrieve them 20 years later

Yes, and then realize no drive capable of reading them still exists.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Corb3t posted:

Welp, I was laid off from my gig at a Marketing firm last week and job hunting is a goddamn nightmare. I've applied to ~100 jobs with no callbacks.

A lot of jobs listed these days are bots harvesting info from resumes for their own purposes and probably aren't real; keep applying. Also, networking/who you know is still the most powerful job finding tool. Work any connections you have/can.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Housing market won't get unfucked without significant legislative intervention. There is a lot of money stacked against that, so it probably won't be happening until there are riots.

The current cycle is for a developer to convince a municipality to let them build a community, with the usual pitch of 'homes for families' and 'good schools', build all the housing as cheaply as possible, then sell it as a block to a rental company that will pay above market value and waive any warranty claims. Rental company charges as high as possible until the homes begin to fall apart, then sells each unit to a flipper who evicts the tenant to 'move in', patches up the home as cheaply as possible (often without permits) and sells it to a company that will use it for short term rentals until they sell it to another flipper, or the home falls apart and the company declares bankruptcy, dumping the worthless property on the bank, who might auction it to yet another flipper or just walk away and leave the municipality to clean up.

At no point can an individual purchaser even get information that a home is for sale, it's all done either via direct transaction, or via brokers that specialize in these type of deals.

For extra fun, all the companies involved are shell companies owned by shell companies and won't ever pay property taxes, starving the local region of revenue and degrading their ability to support residents, provide services, or pursue negligent companies.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

We go through a good bit of good whiskey and scotch. Definitely my drink of choice. My wife has started drinking gin martini's and I think it might be time for a divorce. If someone switches from vodka to gin after all these years... do you really even know them???

Maybe she is looking for something with a little more edge?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

johnny park posted:

The new Teams client appears to be breaking the Outlook Teams add-in. Anyone else seeing this?

Are these virtual machines? Teams has been having problems on virtual machines for a while, especially certain types of AVDs.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

my company had this crazy policy where normal salespeople could sell the lowest price tier of the system but to sell the next price tier you had to have completed special training because it was more complicated. I think?

So there were a ton of calls which were just sales people trying to get us to construct elaborate workarounds to emulate features we had but the merchant wasn't paying for because they didn't want to lose out on that sweet commission.

Normal salespeople are no longer allowed to sell the lowest price tier without completing the training.

My company, which is not small, has the reverse problem. We always buy the lowest tier license, then try to find workarounds for all the features we didn't license that turn out to be critical to our business.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Do you demand the company’s support team do it for you

Yes. It makes for a real bonding experience with the vendors support team that lasts for years.

<cough>

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

Cisco has literally nothing about this in their official instructions to create the bootable USB
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/do...3_3_2ndgen.html

The .iso file is something like 27Gbs and if I remember correctly the max partition size for fat32 is 4 gigs so im guessing it cant be that.

Try using Rufus to 'burn' the ISO to a USB stick. Alternately, try a different vendor/make of USB stick.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Defenestrategy posted:

so I assume we're doing persistent vm's that spin up when a dude needs it and then spins down when they log off to save some amount of money in cost.

Seriously look at W365, it’s going to be much simpler to implement than persistent pooled AVD, and probably cost less. It’s the same stack as AVD, but Microsoft manages all the scaling, networking, disk, and VM resources.

Consider as well how operating system and application management works in your environment. If you turn off VMs that are not in use, they are going to be able to patch only when a user is signed in, which is a disruptive experience.

If you do get forced into AVD, I would look at Nerdio, which wraps on top and has push button wizards for everything you want to do, as well as maintenance schedules, etc, for updates and patches.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Susat posted:

e: It also causes a bunch of weird windows issues that I have to advise remote users on, for example if they connect to the network remotely the system will only use the stored password, so if they update their password they have to physically connect to the network again (and log in) in order to update the stored credentials on that system. Even more frustrating is users can change their password with their phones... which can cause the same problem if they log in with a temporary password, set a new permanent password, then the stored credential issue happens again.

The more I type about this the less sane that seems, huh.

Not 100% sure I’m reading this right, but if a user resets their password through helpdesk or other password recovery, before they disconnect from any network/vpn or whatever, they just need to lock their workstation and then unlock it with the new password for stored credentials to get updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LochNessMonster posted:

Did the new teams client kill the option to get a notification when a coworkers status changes, or is that something that can be disabled on tenant level.

I’m currently missing this option and it completely sucks to keep track of when coworkers in different timezones come online…

Yes, this option is currently missing from Teams 2.0. It’s on the roadmap to get re-added, but I have no idea when.