Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

PeterWeller posted:

He also uses it to host get togethers with Mordenkainen and Dalamar. The place is pretty choice. It has a library containing just about every spell in the multiverse, and Ed set the place up with AC and a fridge.

3.5 Elminster violated my verisimilitude because he spends a novel boning a lich but does NOT have the Lich-Loved feat

WOTC I demand you fix this in 5e.

edit: If you haven't burned a Texe Marrs book lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Every time Elminster walks into a room and every skeleton doesn't turn and whisper "whoah that is the dude that BONED a lich we better leave him alone, he may lick our faces or something, gross" I shake my head.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A Catastrophe posted:

IIRC the Complete Book of Elves guy is working at InExile on Torment: Tides of Numenerra. That being the sequen to planescape torment, set in a setting made by monte cook.

Him apologizing for it was one of the stretch goals, although i'm not sure if he went through with it.

He apologized for writing a book so cool that scrubs couldn't appreciate it. Eat that, elfhaters.

Talkc posted:

Sigh it seems like mecha rpgs are kinda like the genre in general. Its kinda hard to ladle good punch when theres a turd in the bowl.

HAVE YOU MET THE MECHWARRIOR RPG?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ed Greenwood and R.A. Salvatore are the only people who actually make a consistent living off of D&D and will continue to do so in the future. Those guys are going to be getting work or a check in the mail until the day they die. Just think about that. Not that they're bad people but they've done better than the people who created the game.

Drizzt is the best thing to come out of D&D setting in terms of an iconic, recognizable character for people people outside the hobby and WOTC will never use him for anything big because nerds are still sore about Drow being playable and would pitch a fit.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Steal plots for your game from episodes of the hit TV show Frasier.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Night10194 posted:

Medieval dudes stumbling across a spaceport, discovering they're a lost colony, and suddenly ... HOLY poo poo DEMONS...

Might and Magic / Wizardry / Phantasy Star are the most Mystaran of crpgs

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Finder Wyvernspur.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The Cult of the Dragon is completely right. But it's not dead dragons that will rule the world entire, it's dead dragonborn.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Vanadium posted:

Also who's the coolest spellcaster in the setting that is not related to Elminster in any way

Halaster Blackcloak, the Mad Mage of Undermountain.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A Catastrophe posted:

You're saying they were better off publishing more FR, than what, Madness at Gardmore Abbey? Heroes of the Feywild? Because that is what you're saying.
Yeeh i'm a hater or whatever, who could possibly not want more FR over more Dark Sun or something. I must hate FR with a burning passion ect, ect.

They could have replaced every single 4e adventure ever published and replaced them with VOLO'S GUIDE TO HAIRCUTS OF THE GREAT RIFT and nothing of value would have been lost.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Also I am going to RUIN Eberron for each of you:

Storygaming caused the Mournlands. Thanks, Eladrin!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A Catastrophe posted:

The Zhents are the most obvious example, but really, can anyone name any evil or antagonistic faction that doesn't meet the PCs having already been thrashed repeatedly over and over again? How does anybody take these people seriously? Who of them is actually scary anymore?

The Empire of Shade

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mystara had a straight up saloons-and-spitoons wild west with wandslingers and folk songs and cattle rustling. Then hollow earth added orc cowboys.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Evil Sagan posted:

I'd hate to meet the person that has a problem with that arrangement.

I'm the person that hates that arrangement because "10 times a day you can do slightly more damage" is a terrible way to sacrifice ability for flavor.

Just let players call bows rifles, dang.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Lord Frisk posted:

My GM also tended to make pains to stifle the gunslinger from being more powerful, for what reason I still don't know. Basically it was a few hours worth of "full attack" and "spend moves to reload."

You could take a bow and write "GUN" over it and people would still be convinced that it was going to take over the game, even if was just "a thing you shoot to do d6 damage."

quote:

I've always liked Gamma World's system for guns. They're effectively an Encounter power, but you can fire them more than once in a fight at the cost of running out of ammo until you find more.

See, if I'm going to be spending a lot of resources to be The Guy Who Shoots Guns, I'd like to be able to do it more than twice a day.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

PleasingFungus posted:

If I tell you that you're not, will you be angry?

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

potatocubed posted:

Zak S templates as axiomatic that

So what you are saying is that third edition is responsible for this whole thing?

Thanks, WIZARD$ of finance OF THE CO$T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD1Jr7PfvSQ

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 9, 2014

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, apparently this is now the Zak S thread

It's kind of surreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABMi9RQncs

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

ProfessorCirno posted:

So oWoD, rather then gothic vampire drama with politics and skulking and questions about humanity and, well, horror, became little more then supers with fangs and poetry.

Yes, that is why 2nd Edition was the best edition of vampire, Professorcirno. Thanks for pointing it out. :smaug:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kai Tave posted:

Was Ettin really a regular in the D&D thread? Like, Ettin's run a single 4E game that I'm aware of and that was on RPGnet. Beyond that I've never really gotten the impression that he gives that much of a poo poo about D&D in general.

Ettin has the correct opinion on Kopru.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Guys, I have something to admit. I have been a spy for the Gaming Police for years, infiltrating the black depths of the Council of Outrage Culture. I have in my hand a list of names transcript of a speech by the leader of the Trad Games Anarchists, Ettin, during the election for Tradgames Moderator.

quote:

"Comrades! Have we come here for this? Do we live underground like rats in order to listen to talk like this? This is talk we might listen to while eating buns at a Sunday School treat. Do we line these walls with weapons and bar that door with death lest anyone should come and hear Comrade Winson Paine saying to us, 'Be good, and you will be happy,' 'Honesty is the best policy,' and 'Virtue is its own reward'? There was not a word in Comrade Winson's address to which a curate could not have listened with pleasure. But I am not a curate, and I did not listen to it with pleasure. The man who is fitted to make a good curate is not fitted to make a resolute, forcible, and efficient Traditional Games Killer."

"Comrade Winson has told us, in only too apologetic a tone, that we are not the enemies of the hobby. But I say that we are the enemies of the hobby, and so much the worse for the hobby. We are the enemies of the hobby, for the hobby is the enemy of humanity, its oldest and its most pitiless enemy. Comrade Winson has told us (apologetically again) that we are not grognards. There I agree. We are not grognards, we are storygamers."

"Comrade Winson accuses me of hypocrisy. He knows as well as I do that I am keeping all my engagements and doing nothing but my duty. I do not mince words. I do not pretend to. I say that Comrade Winson is unfit to be Tradgames Destroyer for all his amiable qualities. He is unfit to be Tradgames Destroyer because of his amiable qualities. We do not want the Supreme Council of Tradgames Anarchy infected with a maudlin mercy. This is no time for ceremonial politeness, neither is it a time for ceremonial modesty. I set myself against Comrade Winson as I would set myself against all the Games of the Hobby, because the tradgames anarchist who has given himself to tradgames anarchy has forgotten modesty as much as he has forgotten pride. I am not a man at all. I am a cause. I set myself against Comrade Winson as impersonally and as calmly as I should choose one pistol rather than another out of that rack upon the wall; and I say that rather than have Winson and his milk-and-water methods on the Supreme Council, I would offer myself for election—"

And after he was made moderator:

quote:

"I do not go to the forums to rebut that slander that calls us the destroyers of traditional gaming; I go to earn it! To the DMs who says these men are the enemies of rulings, to the players who says these men are the enemies of immersion, to the pundit who says these men are the enemies of order and public decency, to all these I will reply, 'You are false grogs, but you are true prophets. I am come to destroy you, and to fulfil your prophecies.'"

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Davin Valkri posted:

Did somebody do this Man who was Thursday thing before? I can't remember.

He had turned his eyes so as to see suddenly the great face of Mormon Star Wars, which wore a strange smile.

"Have you," Ettin cried in a dreadful voice, "have you ever suffered?"

As he gazed, the great face grew to an awful size, grew larger than the colossal mask of Memnon, which had made him scream as a child. It grew larger and larger, filling the whole sky; then everything went black. Only in the blackness before it entirely destroyed his brain he seemed to hear a distant voice saying a commonplace text that he had heard somewhere, "lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muhammadun rasūlu-llāh"

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DigitalRaven posted:

To abolish Grog! We do not only want to upset a few old-school gamers and rpgsite posters moderators; that sort of gaming does exist, but it is a mere branch of the OSR. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinctions of attribute and save, armour class and THAC0, upon which mere tradgamers base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the Forge talked of playing Story First! We hate Story as we hate Games. We have abolished Story and Game.

:vince:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Effectronica posted:

Everyone should read Zak S on trolls at least once in their life.

Reminder that the context for that was some people on The Gaming Den saying that the social system he cooked up in 10 minutes - whereby Paladins could buy castles for barrels of apples - was silly. Therefore, if they get hit by a car, let them die.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

ThreeStep posted:

Warbirds planes are pretty much Crimson Skies plans already and I'm curious how biplanes would work in the Warbirds system so I say go with those.

I have some box of Crimson Skies stuff, but it doesn't have any miniatures. It's just like, DOCUMENTS and TOKENS and LETTERS THAT LOOK LIKE INDIANA JONES SENT THEM.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rasamune posted:

Whatcha wanna know, man

What can change the nature of a dude

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

My first actual RPG experience was a dude on the internet who bought kid me a bunch of 2nd edition books, including my fav., Thri-Kreens of Athas, and then suggested that we do sexual roleplaying with his wife.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

These were different people than the woman that offered to buy me from my parents.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm listening to the EQ Next class preview panel at the SOE convention. They just mentioned mentioned "Power Sources" for classes, then talked about the "Martial Power Source."

We're getting the 4e mmo we deserve. :smaug: :getin:

edit: "Will you be making supportive fighters?" "Yes."

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The EQ Warrior class is essentially the cornerstone of the "tank" concept in terms of having a strict taunt mechanic, and the EQ Bard class is basically a fighter who does nothing but provide group support.

This literally describes the original Everquest. I do not recommend anyone who thinks 4E is well designed play Everquest.

They also hinted at marking.

EQ Next: The Most 4e Goddamned Thing You Can Possibly Imagine

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

WOTC Announces that they want to disappoint Arivia, personally:

Realms Seminar: No 5E Forgotten Realms campaign guide in development. Realms character options may trickle out through adventures

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

LeSquide posted:

Oh, they're supporting FR as the core setting just like they supported Grayhawk as 3e's core setting!

Apparently the expectation is that if you want to know about the setting changes, you'll have to read them in the novels.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Ettin posted:

Just like... World of Warcraft :aaaaa:

:vince:

Great, now I have to read War Crimes and Elminster in Hell to know what is going on!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm in Alabama, where "Mark of Cain" and "Curse of Ham" are both still taught regularly. I've had people I thought were fairly normal argue that black skin was the mark of cain in the 2000s.

Even worse was WOTC's attempts to fix it: Aha, Drow's skin is black because they were cursed for being evil? That's bad. We'll change is so that Dark Elves were brown, and are now black because all their ancestors had sex with a demon, which totally fixes the problem and gives us a justification for Drow being always-evil!

Of course, this is explained in a novel, so the way you find out about it unless you are an FR nerd is the "You are reborn as a normal elf baby!" epic destiny.

You guys know I love Mystara, but their underground elf antagonists were also pretty terrible. They are:

A diaspora people who wandered a desert for 400 years until their monotheist god gave them 10 commandments and a body of tribal purity laws and lead them to a promised land.

They are also secretly infiltrating and controlling world governments and are behind the "savage" races, using them to weaken the "normal" ones.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Haha what book was this in? My gut said the FR Player's Guide but the only ED I see in there is Chosen.

Dragon Magazine 367.

The funny thing here is that the article does a terrible job at explaining the change, so if you read the article you know that they are being reborn as a Dark Elf baby, but if you don't waste your time reading DROW NOVEL 20: THE DROWNING then it looks even worse: It looks like the reward is being reborn as a white elf.

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, what? That sounds like serious "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" stuff. How did that get through editing?

People stop being able to recognize troublesome RL ethnic stereotypes as soon as you put pointed ears on them and add a bunch of apostrophes to their names.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Obviously underground elves should have spots and poo poo because they're made of fungus and not plants. Also they should get fatter with age as the great sporing approaches.

This is literally what RPGnet admin Shannon Applecline? did when he was given the opportunity to invent underground elves for Glorantha. While all elves in glorantha are Man + Plant, dark elves are Man + Fungus.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Sorry, noted 4e MMO Everquest Next solves the drow problem in the best way: They are elves who are dragonpeople. Deal with it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tulul posted:

I think the problem in general is that you can't have fifty thousand pages to devote to exploring elven cultures (culture in general, too), so you kind of have to end up only focusing on a few of them. And I don't think there's actually a way around this beyond limiting the scope of the game (like, say, Dark Sun), which is obviously something that's not appropriate for every game.

Elves, Orcs, Halfings, Dwarves, etc are humans with magic modifications. Every culture has them. BOOM.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Dragonstar is the best thing to come out of 3rd edition D&D, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Okay so I'm reading Pathfinder material and let me just say:

Svirfneblin in Golarion are so much more interesting than Svirfneblin in the Forgotten Realms that it is amazing.

• Locked thread