Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
So after watching and rewatching the Beyond Earth stream, I am pretty hyped. That said, I don't like how sterile the UI is. I miss the cool little portraits next to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Feenix posted:

A bunch of sour assholes who seemingly can't grasp that most of us got extremely familiar with Destiny over the summer and aren't going to wake up tomorrow and go "what the gently caress is this poo poo?!"

Or bored trolls.

In fairness, we've only played up to level 8. I loved it, but then I also loved Borderlands 2 until I finished my first playthrough and then that game fell into a complete pile of trash and it is certainly possible that Destiny could fall prey to the same.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

For me the EC turned the ending from "what the gently caress is this poo poo" to "eh, still dumb but ok whatever." Citadel however is the poo poo and should always be played after you beat the game as the actual ending and palate cleanser.

Speaking of Bioware, if I never played DA would I be lost for Inquisition?

Probably not. It seems largely self-contained and I am sure anything important from the previous games will get explained.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Earth Table posted:

Anyone who's played both Destiny and COD:AW recommend one over the other?

Looking to get some shootmans going with the new system and I'll wait for Far Cry to drop in price.

Forget both those games and get wolfenstein unless mplayer is really important to you.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

they say that there's easy like 30 hours of meaningless content there and nothing cool happens in the few story missions until the one that unlocks area two.

The whole game is meaningless content. Honestly, the Hinterlands is probably the second best designed area in the game behind Emprise because it's actually populated with poo poo to do. There are huge tracts of empty, pointless nothing in most other areas and it really boggles my mind that people say getting out of the Hinterlands improves their experience.

I'm with NESguerilla, the game is dull.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Guess I will go more in depth on why I don't much care for DA:I to give a differing view and provide more info than two sentences.

There are about a billion little annoyances that are just wrong or stupidly broken things that worked fine in the last two games and they all add up to being really obnoxious. Why is the inventory and crafting such a mess? Why can't I warp directly to the war-room? Why do I need to constantly mash L3 to light up things that I can interact with? Why don't they just stay lit up? Why don't they appear on the mini-map? Why is the map so mediocre? Why did they gut the tactics system from the first two games? Why do some things require so many resources? Why not require half the resources and cut the spawns in half (or don't who cares it's a singleplayer game) so that you have to spend less time scrounging up a billion elfroot to upgrade and replenish potions? Why do some war-room missions take 18 or so hours? Why does the interact button sometimes not work on things I am standing on while other times it will interact with things not even on my screen, mostly often a mount I dismounted. Why is the mount implementation so bad? None of that poo poo on it's own is a serious problem, but collectively it's grating.

What is serious is that the combat is pretty meh, at least from the rogues perspective. Cooldowns are just too long. Resource regeneration seems a bit off too. In terms of feel, it was like a vanilla WoW era character who had to hold r2 down to autoattack. All the enemies needlessly shift around constantly and this makes being a dagger rogue tedious. Bow rogues don't have this problem and are instead hamstrung by being boring as hell and not having any risk. I did daggers to 10, at which point I switched because getting flanking was tiresome and your moves often propelled you out of flanking. Then I did bows for 5 really dull levels before going back to daggers at 15, at which point I had gotten some insanely good daggers and the assassin specialization and it didn't even matter that much that I didn't have flanking consistently anymore because everything just died.

The world design is really poor, in my opinion. Stormcoast, Fallow Mire, and all 3 desert areas in particular feature huge chunks of map where nothing of interest exists. Just trash to fight and herbs to pick.

And lastly the real problem that I have with the game is that it is astoundingly unrewarding to play. The majority of quests that you get in the game are delivered to you via finding a random book or letter laying around. You read this usually dull snippet, get tasked with an mmo quest, and then when you complete the quest you get QUEST COMPLETE, some experience and some power and that's it. The only time you ever get any decent story to go along with your quests is when you do a party member side missions or the main story. It's awful. It's like I fell into a timewarp and landed in Vanilla WoW where quest text was boring poo poo you skipped as fast as possible. Even DA2 had better sidequests and people malign the hell out of those. Even throwaway radiant skyrim quests offer more background and insight into the world than what you get with most of the sidequests here. Even the main story seemed disjointed to me, with things happening that didn't really make a lot of sense given the context around them. Val Royeux in particular was rife with conversations that made no sense at all but I guess that was all part of THE GAME.

Even things I thought would be really cool just left me deflated. For example, you can take over a few keeps in the game. The result of taking a keep is maybe 1 or 2 really dull quests, maybe something to do in the war-room, and a new vendor. Exciting poo poo right there! And let me tell you about the payoff for a literal reputation grind with the Dalish got me. Spoilers! An elf joins my cause and 4 lines of dialogue from the leader saying we cool now bro. Also a NEW VENDOR!

There are some positive things to DA:I. The characters are pretty much all well-done. The voice-acting is top notch. Minus some nitpicky things I think the war-room is brilliant and I hope it gets used in a lot of games going forward. Taken as a whole I don't even think the game is particularly bad. A solid 7 on that meaningless 10 point scale everyone uses. But I probably would not have played it as much if it wasn't effectively replacing an actual mmo for my leisure time. "Being slightly more interesting than an mmo I have been playing for over a year in which the only content I haven't done is some really tedious grinding" is not a ringing endorsement though. Buy on sale. Maybe buy at full price if you aren't a completionist sperg like me. I imagine I would have liked the game a lot more if I had just done as little as possible to move the story forward versus doing literally everything.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

How's the ps4 version of Akiba's Trip? I was vaguely interested in the vita version since a couple vids made it seem more like satire than creepy garbage but everyone was complaining bitterly about technical limitations, in particular load times.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I got a PS4 from a Christmas party. Any consensus on what games aren't a waste of time/are coming out soon?

If you have friends who like to local co-op, Nidhogg, Sports Friends (game is not your typical sports game), and Towerfall: Ascension are all good times. Resogun is probably still the best Ps4 exclusive. There's a lot of stuff I would recommend in general but it's all multiplat. Assuming you haven't, or don't want to play these on some other platform, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Wolfenstein: New World Order, The Last of Us Remastered, GTA 5, and Shadows of Mordor are all really easy recommendations. If you want only the AAA completely exclusive games, then Infamous: Second Son is a good game. Not great but it's solid and easily worth the price now.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Persona 5 is coming out for the PS4 right? Just want to make sure I don't have to have serious regrets about selling my PS3. Other than the 3 generations of games I'm missing out on thanks to the PS4's lack of any BC other than high priced HD 'remakes.'

It is but if I am remembering the announcement for it correctly there will be a few months between it and the ps3 release. So you may have to wait a few months if you want to play it on ps4.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I should play a metal gear game

Metal Gear Solid is some poo poo. I will always have a soft spot for the series because it's completely tone deaf and insane and I never stop finding it delightful.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Follow That Fish! posted:

I was enjoying it for most of the time. Like people still playing will tell you, mechanically it's absolutely brilliant.

I disagree with this. Like, I will absolutely admit that I have never played a game on a console with such satisfying gunplay. But mechanics aren't just how you interact with the game but what the game gives you to interact with and on this front, Destiny was an utter failure. I have not seen encounter design as poo poo as it is in Destiny since Everquest 1.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

precision posted:

Yahtzee named Wolfenstein as his #2 GOTY. :stare:

I'll give it a "Gamestop rental".

Wolfenstein is the best game I played this year, although it was real close with Shadows of Mordor.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

I have to agree. Bland as gently caress and i deeply regret buying it at launch. It was a game from 2006 with (slightly) better graphics.

The praise it gets is frankly bewildering but it came out when there was literally nothing else new released for months so that must be it.

I can see how you would think it's bland. The story proceeds exactly as expected, the guns and enemy design are business as usual, and the level design definitely suffers from a case of the grey and browns. Outside of how maybe you acquire perks there wasn't anything new in Wolfenstein. None of this mattered to me though. The by the book story is told well and was significantly bolstered by a drat good cast of characters, some seriously excellent moments and some interesting world-building stuff like the newspaper clipping about The Beatles. The gameplay combined everything I liked about old school 90's shooters and modern shooters melded with great level design that encouraged exploration. I switched seamlessly from stealth to meticulous shooting, to dual wielded shotgun panic'd run and gun and all of these approaches felt really fun to me.

It was just a good-rear end game. The only meta advantage it had was that I had zero expectations for it. I bought it on a lark when it hadn't been on my radar at all and it just blew me away.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Organs posted:

kojima said metal gear rising sold better than expected so a sequel is a given. it was just a matter of when platinum games could fit it into their schedule i think, since they've always got 2 or 3 games in development

It way exceeded expectations. I remember an interview from the original thread with Kojima where he was beyond ecstatic with the games performance and that was before the pc release.

I could not be more thrilled because I loved that game. It was every bit as delightfully insane as a standard mgs and I thought it was a lot of fun mechanically. Probably my favorite game of the genre unless you include God Hand so sequel news is the best thing to wake up to this morning!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

I know it was a few pages back and I was probably 12 when I played it, but I don't remember Metal Gear Solid (the one for ps1) being too ridiculous. I also remember it being amazing and can't wait to play my ground zeros demo.

MGS1 was just as insane as the others mostly.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SamBishop posted:

Wait, you "really hate" Game of Thrones? That might be a first for me. Any particular reason why? I'm not attacking you or anything, by the way, I'm just genuinely curious because even I'm sick of high fantasy and I find the show amazing.

I hate it too. I don't like multiple character narratives like GoT in general because I get attached to 1 or 2 of them and it renders everything else not about those characters effectively filler. This is more of a problem in books where it can be a couple hundred pages or, as happened in Wheel of Time before I gave up on that, multiple books between time spent with the cool characters as opposed to a couple episodes. Ignoring that, I absolutely loathe low fantasy fictional settings. May as well be reading non-fiction at that point since the nonsense that actually happened in medieval times is way more interesting than the nonsense GRR Martin writes. Same applies to the politics, where real life politics are crazier and have actual stakes behind them. The final nail in the coffin is that the first 250 pages of the book (which is what I made it through) never stops feeling skeevy. Multiple instances of incest and rape and if I am going to pillory anime for that poo poo I am sure as hell not going to start hand waving it just because it's in a book written by a native english speaker.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

dat one portagee posted:

For those that have played the dragon age games how does inquisition compare to origins? I'm considering buying it while its on sale.

DA:I is fine as long as you don't play it like Skyrim. Because despite all their efforts, Bioware made a really loving dull and lifeless open world that is not worth exploring in the least. If you try to play through it as quickly as possible instead of being a completionist nut you will enjoy the game more and can always go back in the post game to explore crap if you really want to.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Harlock posted:

Destiny, but not so aggressively player unfriendly would be nice.

Yeah, a Destiny with better reasons to explore and less lovely grind would be nice actually.

As for what else is coming out this year, isn't Galak-Z due out this year? That game looks cool as hell.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Maybe you should try playing an actual MMO instead of a bad mock-MMO then.

I... do? :confused:

Not really sure here, you dissing the division or dropping burns on destiny? I don't really think enough is known about the division to go either way, but Destiny was pretty bad.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I hope Bloodborne brings back the ridiculous ninja flips. Just want to be somersaulting literally all the time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bloodborne is easily my favorite of the souls games but it tailor made for my taste and how I tend to play a souls game. Which is to say I appreciate the tighter melee combat with a bigger focus on aggression and the Victorian era/lovecraftian aesthetic. Since I never use any of the online options in any of the souls games besides messages and stains, or bother with gimmick builds, or use magic then all 3 of those being lacking/broken doesn't matter to me in the face of how loving cool gun parrying and trick weapons are. But if that stuff did matter to you then I can definitely see this game falling short. But if you always go giant 2 hander speed roll like I do then Bloodborne is unmatched.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'll say this, the first hour or so are is bit slow, but once you get to the Hinterlands (and whatever you do, don't stay there any longer than you have to) the game really opens up. I loved the poo poo out of it, despite only getting halfway through DA:O and not playing the second game.

It never stops being funny to me that people always say "get out of the Hinterlands!" when it and Emprise are the only zones that are actually done well in the whole game. My DA:I recommendation is to do whatever you want to fill up the power bar but hit up those main quests asap. The only content in the game that yields any real satisfaction for completing it is the main story quests, companion quests, and dragon fights. Everything else is pointless, context-less filler with all the joy of a B grade theme park mmo.

Uhh not counting any DLC, which I haven't played.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

You don't really get the proper effect of Ash Lake just looking it up on youtube, Because you're just like tall trees, so what? It is important to experience it in the game, because you encounter ash lake after clambering down poo poo rear end blight town and an asinine tree full of frogs that petrify or curse and mushrooms that 1 shot you and its a real tight space and the whole thing is a pile of butt. so to make your way down there after putting up with the biggest nonsense the game has to throw at you and then it opens up into this wondrous place, it was something else.

As for Bloodborne, there are 3 places that really stood out to me and all of them are boss fight rooms. Serious spoilers: Rom's fight was the best in my opinion. I was not expecting that. The First Hunter Fight is also really cool because of the way his moves kick up the flowers and such. It's quite impressive and also nostalgic for the last fight of metal gear solid 3. Kind of a lot of parallels there now that I think about it. Last place that I found really cool was the lead up to Ebrietas and her boss arena.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

echronorian posted:

Tbf he said he wanted to make a game so scary no one would be able to finish it and I can't imagine a publisher being happy with that.

I doubt a publisher would care since the vast majority of people don't finish games.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I found it much better than tno. It was a blast especially if you loved the beginning section of return to castle wolfenstein

I disagree. TNO has none of the character that NWO had. Also zombies are loving stupid. Who the gently caress cares about zombies anymore, they have been utterly played out in the last couple of years. Just let me kill my drat nazis.

Real hurthling! posted:

i heard the zombie sections are really lame like for a big portion of the game they just move straight towards you and you stand there adn shoot them with no real pressure and that's that

this opinion is probably way wrong though because it belongs to alex from giant bomb and gently caress alex and his deep feelings about games.

Even ignoring my strong personal contempt for zombies, they are stupid as gently caress in Wolfenstein. All but 1 encounter with zombies I dealt with by standing in 1 spot and getting the easiest headshots of my life. On rare occasions when you get close enough to one for some reason it might run really fast at you and slap you for negligible damage and this is the worst they can do to you.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I didn't much care for DmC. It had the misfortune of being a game I tried to play after Metal Gear Rising which was unfortunate for it. It was just dull, no way around it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

J-Spot posted:

I like this. It's cool when things just exist in the world and you can stumble into them through exploration without triggering some quest flag to spawn them in, and it makes sense that the contract isn't available for you to take if the problem is already solved.

You can still turn in hunt targets. Just because you didn't pick up the bill doesn't mean it wasn't posted. This does shaft you out of negotiating a price though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I loved Darksiders 2, but I don't think I loved it enough to buy a ps4 remaster.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

sellouts posted:

All that to avoid paying a few bucks to Plex, makers of software that have this big of an impact on your console usage?

Realistically when does FF7 come out? Before e3 next year?

I'm sure they will kick out that pc port pretty quick if that's what you mean. If you mean the remake? 2017 absolutely earliest assuming the only thing they do is update the graphics. If they do anything else, 2018 to 2019 easy. I'm with Jeff from Giantbomb, I think the only reason we are getting this remake is because they shot themselves in their dumb rear end face last year with that pc port announcement and they kinda scrambled to undo the damage.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah... no. You honestly think they're going to spend $X million on completely unessecary damage control for a dumb announcement that wasn't even that big a deal?

Yes. They did much more for a much shittier game (ff14) and it is paying dividends.

More specifically, announcing the pc port back when they did makes absolutely no sense in the context of this announcement at all unless the studio head is just a massive troll. Which he might be, it's certainly possible. I think they probably got enough backlash where it made them rethink just how much of a market they would actually have and new leadership pulled the trigger because they seem to be full of good ideas in general these days. Who knows, maybe Sony is money hatting this project to some degree? Maybe next gen system sales have exceeded expectations and passed whatever market barrier of entry was there for them to pull the trigger. Any number of things could have happened, but I would be surprised if they have been working on this for more than 9 months to a year.

I will cop to this, if they show some gameplay at their conference then sure, they have probably been working on it awhile.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 16, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

titties posted:

People keep saying this but I don't get it. In what way is it wonky?

It's Wonky because Geralt fights like an idiot. He has flashy, flamboyant attacks that you can't really cancel out of. It also doesn't help that his dodge has no i-frames. It's further hurt by some of his moves being contextual. In short, Witcher 3 (and the other 2 actually) just feel unresponsive in comparison to things like DMC or Dark Souls. Plus, as someone who spec'd super hard into the melee tree during their Witcher 3 run, the heavy attack button may as well not exist.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Let's say I've mostly liked every Assassin's Creed game I've ever played (1, 2, brotherhood, black flag), should I buy Unity on sale?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

grrarg posted:

No. Get Shadow of Mordor instead if you have not played it yet. It plays like an Assassin's Creed game with better combat from the Batman games.

Already played it and loved it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Dishonored didn't click for me when I first played it, because I found it incredibly hard to go about stealthing the game (since I can't knock out guards once they have seen me and I wasn't good at not being seen I guess) and I didn't want to NOT stealth the game because I knew you got a different ending for not murdering people and I wanted that one because those are usually the "better" ones.

But the world and setting really appeal to me and I want to get into the game, especially now that a sequel is forthcoming. I hope we get some reports on what the PS4 port is like, but if I do decide to get it, any advice to help smooth out the early moments of the game?

Yes, hi. I too always pick the good options and am generally absurdly altruistic in games because i feel guilty being mean to npc's like some sort of idiot.

Murder loving everyone in dishonored. The game is not meant to be stealthed really, and I have no idea why they even let you non-lethally deal with people because it's loving boring as hell. The lethal options outnumber the nonlethal ones like 7 to 1. And frankly, the high chaos ending is better than the low chaos one, at least in terms of being a cool rear end set piece and getting more in game lore and whatnot.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Is there some kind of fast travel I am missing in MGS5? Because cardboard box deliveries and helicopters are both poo poo and having to get around via poor handling vehicles is, frankly, insanely boring.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Phantom Pain is amazing, the attempts at being negative have all been bullshit.

The game is incredibly tedious in a way that would be unacceptable if the actual game part wasn't so great. Everything surrounding doing a mission is bullshit and hosed up in the stupidest ways. Then once you get on site you forget about that because you can engage in the silliest shenanigans and that makes up for the terrible slog that is getting anywhere, the constant menu futzing, and the honestly a little crappy UI.

I hated MGS5 at first, it has taken awhile to get over all the crap that I hate enough to enjoy the parts that I love.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

As of last night I understand the reference. :smith:

I don't, who is the jerk company that did this?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Snak posted:

The Witcher 3 is probably the best open world game in terms of exploration and story implementation, but if you try to do ALL the side events, it quickly becomes obvious that they are repetitive. This is good design in the sense that, no matter where you are when you get bored with real story threads, there will be stuff for you to gently caress around with, but bad for completionists because they are terrible people.

Other open world games, like Just Cause 2, GTA, and Saints Row have more potential for entertaining chaos than W3, so it depends on what you're looking for in a game.

Agreed. I like MGS5 but a lot of time is spent wasted either in boring travel or tedious menu fuckery. The complete lack of a not poo poo fast travel option really dings the game down for me personally.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Did you not know of the delivery docks in major outposts?

I specified not poo poo. Those docks don't work in alert mode which is where I spend most of my time because Rambo is way more fun than sneaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Fast traveling while in alert status would kind of entirely defeat the point of an alert status

It is inconceivable just how little I care in the face of the 20 or so hours I spent just loving travelling in that game.

• Locked thread