Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was poking through my library and discovered I own Conan Exiles, which I must've gotten for free at some point. Since the thread has said it's pretty fun I started downloading it.

File size is something like 120GB :psyduck: Did they lovingly render the asshair of every antelope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sab Sabbington posted:

Very belatedly: Yeah, they did, a few patches back they added a ton of new/revamped PVE content as well as new NPC locations up and around everywhere for thrall gathering and big raids. In my experience you can do basically all the content solo with the expectation that it'll range from moderately difficult to quite easy depending on how well you know how to use the thrall system. It's still going to be mostly a legendary grind and building experience once you reach the endgame, but there's lots to do and a ton of cool new poo poo the accomplish as you get there in addition to Actually Fun(TM) endgame content.
I've been playing for a couple days and mostly enjoying myself, but after today I may uninstall it. Wandered into a dungeon, doing the bossfight and my thrall gets killed because the AI is just dumb as poo poo. OK, well they weren't wearing any really good gear so whatever. Then I get killed because it's a multistage Witch Queen and go "ah gently caress it" and respawn at my base. I have drop on death turned off so it's NBD. Then I find my horse, my really good horse, has clipped into the ground to the point where I can't even interact with him to ask him to follow me. Tried quitting and reloading, but he's there permanently it seems. And I'm on PS4 so there's no debugging console or whatever to clip him out. On top of that all the pets I had coming along in the pen are just...gone.

Also the other day I was having a fight with some 3-skull boss, had him down to the last bit of health just wailing on him and he clips through the wall and...disappears. I waited for him to respawn but no dice. If it'd been some random mook enemy I'd have just laughed but that fight took a long time - I was clearly underleveled but managed to whittle him down and I got fuckall for it. Maybe it's better on PC but there are some nasty bugs/glitches on PS4.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's a game called Arid which is a survival game set in the desert. It's free on Steam, so not a big investment if it sucks :v: I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BrianRx posted:

Looks cool, and the request to join is more or less a formality, you get access instantly. Gonna check it out when I get back home.

edit: this bit is pinging my "tedious bullshit" early warning system, but I'll have to see how it's implemented.
Played this for a couple hours. Impressions so far:

The tree-chopping and cooking aren't bad at all, even a huge tree only takes a few seconds. Carrying the wood is a bit of a pain, since your starting backpack has very few slots. Walking encumbered is ok. You'll clear cut the area immediately surrounding your starting camp pretty quickly. I've been cutting as much as I can carry and then dumping it, rinse, repeat. Keep a woodpile handy. Cooking takes some time, but food doesn't burn so you can start something and go cut more wood or gather stuff or whatever.
Starting area seems to be random, so you might have lots of resources or very few. The first day begins in the evening so you've got to do a fair amount of work to get ready for night. If it's a bad spawn I'd just restart.
Rabbit snares work in the worst possible way. You have to chase them into it instead of working like a real snare where you set it and check it periodically. Trying to chase extremely agile bunnies into a tiny snare sucks. I may try building a fence to funnel them into the trap, but that's extra crafting/time. I've been eating coyotes because they're easier to kill :v: (e: trap fence suggested, will give that a go)
Items seem to spoil very quickly, even when cooked. Food is an issue, I starved to death on a save just trying to find sufficient food. You can gather berries/seeds and eat them with no cooking, but they do almost nothing for hunger. I got attacked by coyotes, killed a couple, and the meat does only OK for hunger. It also makes you negligibly sick when eating - make sausages when you can. The instructions said you could cure it with salt, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Might just be me being dumb.
Game looks nice. It's top down, and you get a radius of clear vision when you go into trees, which is great.
There's a lot of stuff you need to build which requires a lot of luck. You can't make things like pickaxes which are needed to mine metal without metal, so you have to go scrounging for little chunks of ore laying on the ground. Finding big deposits wasn't an issue, but the little bits were very random and all seem RNG.
No controller support which is balls for someone like me who is poo poo with KBM. Hopefully they add it at some point, but I don't give the game negative marks for it.

Overall right now I'd give it 6/10 - fairly solid and not annoying to play other than the RNG aspect. Since it's only still in alpha and free I would definitely give it a go, hopefully they'll refine the gameplay as they go.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Oysters Autobio posted:

How is this for gameplay? It seems like a very aggressive angle for top down which I kinda am turned off by the idea in a survival game because it just feels lame for a bear or something to come out of nowhere right in front of your line of vision. I guess it sort of simulates really thick bush, but kinda feel like that would take away the immersion or whatever.
It works well in that you can see stuff under trees to pick up, but it's not a huge radius so surprise bears would still be a thing. I only got a couple days in, but it seemed like the more dangerous wildlife only spawned at night (bears, wolves) and during the day it was coyotes which can still murder you but will run off if you hit them with your axe a couple times. That might change later on. I prefer 1st or 3rd person, but this wasn't terrible. It's free, I'd say give it a peek and if it's not your thing then no loss.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Canuckistan posted:

FYI, Subnautica: Below Zero is now available on Gamepass.
It's also currently on sale on PSN if you're a filthy console-haver like myself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Away all Goats posted:

How playable is Valheim as a solo game?

It sounds right up my alley but everything looks geared toward multiple people working together.

As a sort of follow up question, what's the best tropical/island survival game right now between Green Hell, The Forest, Raft, Stranded Deep, and a bunch of others I can't remember? I loved The Long Dark's sandbox mode but as this point I know too much of the maps.

I've got about 100 hrs in as a solo player since I can't get any of my friends to play. It's a good, chill game. I will play the game "normally" as much as possible, but since I'm solo I don't mind using console to build a nice large base after I've hit iron as the grind for materials is a PITA by yourself. In the short term it's surprisingly relaxing to go chop down some trees to make some small bases in different biomes but after awhile the sheer amount of stuff required (especially iron which is tedious as hell to mine) has me using no cost so I can do something more elaborate.

Can't speak to the others, but Stranded Deep is pretty meh (it was free on PS+ awhile back). Ok, but nothing to write home about.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

- food becomes harder to collect as the weather gets colder, and you eventually will use up the easy clean water (although there are a lot of sinks, toilets, bathtubs etc in any town)
This always cracks me up about survival games. No, you can't eat freshly-fallen snow, that will make you sick! Here, drink out of this toilet in a decaying house, it's fine!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you know it's not the bowl part you drink out of, right
Even if you're dipping from the tank, these settings generally don't have power so we can probably safely guess that the water treatment isn't working either and based on the condition of these places it hasn't been flushed in months/years so it's gonna be stagnant and nasty.

I mean, it's not ruining my immersion or anything, it just always struck me as silly.

Flesh Forge posted:

the bowl is where the flavor is! :discourse:
They're always green and yellow, it tastes like lemon/lime!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've been trying to learn Zomboid, but holy poo poo it's rough. I'm playing with a controller since I'm absolutely tragic at KBM and the controller handles like rear end. As in, you can't loot half the containers because you can't angle yourself just perfectly to highlight them, and half the time you end up facing the wrong way even though you're pushing the stick in the direction of whatever you're trying to attack. And it's really common to get stuck in menus. I may have to try some custom controller binds because it's been nothing but an exercise in frustration.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MarcusSA posted:

So I guess 7d2d is on Xbox and pc game pass now but the Xbox version only runs at 30fps and is behind the steam version.

Good for them if they got some Microsoft money but I’m not sure the product they gave to gamepass does the game justice.
The PS version is terrible, I don't know what build it's on, but the graphics would look lovely on a PS3, let alone a 4/5. I did hear that FP are in talks to get a publisher to update the game to current build and patch that up to console; no timeline though. I have very few friends who game on PC and it was a free PS+ game at one point, so it'd be nice to actually play with people.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If anyone plays on PS4/5, The Forest is on sale right now for $5. I was thinking about grabbing it since it's the price of a lovely Starbucks latte - what's the consensus on it?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

This is extraordinarily easy with keyboard and mouse and effectively impossible with a gamepad.
I play exclusively on controller, and I don't have any issues :shrug: (Other than the usual of "goddamnit this won't snap unless I climb up on the wall/roof" and then you fall off and hurt yourself or die depending on whether you remembered to eat or not.)

e: I was having issues with the triggers being reversed in Valheim and then yesterday it just unfucked itself for no reason. This is why I don't play games on PC very often! :argh:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kedo posted:

If someone does make a server please do survivor difficulty, I am a big baby.

I'm absolute trash at the game (I think playing on controller doesn't help) and I have a sandbox setting with like 10% of the normal population, no infection from bites, literally any crutch you can think of. So I feel your pain :glomp:

e: I am an adult (?) with disposable income so I could maybe host a server if people are interested.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 10, 2022

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

sure okay posted:

I made a server: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006882

I used to be good at this game, but I'm high and dumb and pretty rusty so don't feel bad about dying I've already died twice just trying the server settings out.
Well poo poo, I did one too. Super easy mode: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006889

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Big Scary Owl posted:

Is it safe to sleep in a car?
Yes, if you're sitting in the driver's seat and you park driver side next to a building. However, it's poo poo quality and you wake up sore.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

swordfish duelist posted:

Just a heads up though, the PC version is drastically different than the console versions.

The console version is a very old version of the game.
Yeah I think console 7DtD is based off like build 15 or something like that when they're up to 20 now. It looks like an early PS3/Xbox game.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

esquilax posted:

Stranded Deep just did their 1.0 release after 7 years of "early access", priced at $15. Is it worth playing if you haven't done so already?
Guess it depends on your value of a dollar. I got it for $5 on a PS store sale iirc, and that seemed an appropriate price point. It's not terrible, has some decent mechanics, but it doesn't do anything novel or innovative.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Travic posted:

Also side note. Levelling mechanics is miserable.
Mechanics is a walk in the park compared to tailoring or fishing. Even electronics is easier than those two, and electronics sucks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Verviticus posted:

tailoring is i think the easiest skill in the game to level, theres clothing everywhere
It's not a lack of materials as much as just really slow going. Like, the most common way to level electronics is by disassembling watches. Z's drop them fairly often, and you can save up a big pile and do it in bulk over a few seconds. Leveling up tailoring involves a lot of tearing up clothes, and patching and removing patches which takes a long while. Fishing sucks because you get like .75 xp every few casts and then a couple points when you actually catch something. When it takes 200pts to level that's...a lot of fishing. Even boosted takes a hell of a long time. Compared to carpentry, which you can get to level 6 easily without building anything by comboing books/tv.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Donnerberg posted:

Good policy. Funcom has a long and unbroken tradition of putting the FU in fun.
Conan's a good time, but then again that's not an MMO.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Spanish Matlock posted:

Conan was in fact a good time so I was kind of interested in finding out what the deal with the Dune survival game was but it seems like it's just going to be "an MMO"
Yeah, kind of a bummer. I'm an old person who has a FT job so I don't really have the time or inclination to spend hours grinding spice mining or dew collecting or whatever dumb timewaster poo poo they come up with. Plus MMOs are functionally dead with the exception of WoW and FFXIV. In a singleplayer game everyone can be Paul or Stilgar or whatever, in an MMO it's going to be you and your sietchmates weedlordbonerhitler69 and XxGokuXx.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sounds like good additions. Now if they'd just add co-op.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lemony posted:

Every time you do this to a rabbit in the game, you have to explicitly make the choice to murder it in order to harvest the meat and organs. What's really fantastic is how it works over time. The first few rabbits may actually make you hesitate for a moment, even though you know they aren't real. You might feel a little bad for these poor digital bunnies, but you need to do it so that your character doesn't starve to death or freeze. By the time you've played for a hundred hours you're just clicking straight through that context menu and you barely notice it. "Huh, guess I need to replenish my supply of gut and rabbit pelts. Better go kill a few so I can start the drying process." It is a great way of melding gameplay with theme. Your average person in a survival situation might face the same experience of feeling bad for personally taking animal life to survive, but once they'd had to do it for awhile it would no longer register in the same way.
And those of us who played Don't Starve just broke their little necks because in DS there's no animation or cute bunny to look at, but they make a rather horrid noise when you kill them (also the prompt says "Murder") :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tuyop posted:

Crossposting from the recommendation thread. My friend and I have been playing zomboid every couple of weeks all year and I think it’s starting to lose us. I have a gaming pc, mac and ps4. She has a mac and ps4.

Can anyone recommend a coop survival/crafting game that’ll run on a(n) Intel MacBook Pro with integrated graphics (2020 Intel iris plus if it matters)?

We love Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die, but both of those are pretty tapped out for us. Zombie isn’t a big deal, it’s the survival and crafting and RPG elements that are compelling. I thought Raft sounded perfect, for instance, but Windows only.

PS4 is also a potential platform if there are more options there. Maybe we should give Minecraft another go
Off the top of my head, these games are on PS4:

Don't Starve Together
The Forest
Stranded Deep
Green Hell
Grounded
Raft

e: :tipshat:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 12, 2022

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Klaaz posted:

Installed DayZ last night..after half an hour running through a forest (good looking forest though!) stumbling on an empty shack with nothing to find in it and getting 'killed' by a zombie but waking up very injured I thought lets restart a new character but got thrown back into my old half death char onto another server i decided to reinstall and forget about this poo poo
DZ does that which is a bit weird compared to other games. If you're playing on an official server, then you keep the same character until you die unless you switch maps. Community servers are what you'd expect, you start fresh unless you log back into the same one. If I'm badly hurt and just want to start over I'll go aggro a bunch of z's and take out as many as I can before dying, or find another person and drop all my loot for them and have them put me out of my misery. I'd like to do the whole base building thing but I'm on PS5 and none of my friends play, and it's too much work to do by yourself just to not log in for a week and have everything looted/destroyed.

The moment to moment survival can be really tense and fun though. I also like selecting the old man character and then RP'ing over voice chat as a lost grandpa looking for his tour bus :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

redreader posted:

Got green hell last night and tried it out, trying to not look up anything on a wiki.

I spent maybe an hour just looking for rocks because I didn't know you have to harvest them from big rocks. Then I just hosed around for even longer because I really have no idea what I'm doing and I get lost a lot. Finally I got super lost and died, and on loading my save again, I saw that there's an axe at the starting structure! That would have saved me a bit of time!

Question, are you supposed to make fires under shelters?
Yes, even if it's just a single frame to keep the rain off. GH is weird in that rocks are harder to find than food, in most survival games where they're a resource they're everywhere much like real life. GH you can only find them in specific places and like you said, harvest them from large ones or happen to find small ones but the spawn rate seems worse than the large ones.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say your watch has a compass on it which will help with the getting lost part.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i figured some of this out.

I think i'm done with it. I keep getting stuck in areas that are completely surrounded by mountains and trying to find the tiny path out is impossible. The fact there is no compass is really, really annoying. Also i cannot believe how fragile your character is. a 2ft drop and they're spraining things? if this is how normal people are, i'd sprain my ankle every time i got off the bus. There's making a hard survival game, but making your character made of paper is a horribly unfun aspect. All i wanted to do is go to Milton, and I was going north, but somehow even though i never changed my direction, i ended up on the far south west of the map, and couldn't find the way out. I even resorted looking at a map online and that didn't help.
The sprain stuff is ridiculous, I usually go custom and turn it off. Oh no, I've broken a leg again climbing a 2 degree slope!

I really like TLD most of the time so don't be afraid to tweak settings to your liking. Also look for spiky vines on rocks, those indicate an area you can climb (if you aren't doing that already). You may have wandered by the way out more than once if you don't know what to look for.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

Restarted with sprains off and in Mountain Town. I want to do a tour of the Neebs Gaming Long Dark locations, where Neebs is in Mountain Town and Appsro is in Pleasant Vally. BTW if you haven't heard of this channel, its a bunch of guys from South Carolina who play survival games mostly as a group and they're dumb and angry and hilarious. They have a very long running Ark series, they just started Grounded which hurts me because they're missing so much obvious stuff but its fun to watch them learn things. Their 7 Days to Die is great, as they're using the Darkness Falls mod which looks like it really improves the game alot. They're also playing Green Hell and why i was interested in it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiufyZv8iRPTafTw0D4CvnQ
Yeah Neebs is a good time. The thumbnails for TLD are great because they just keep adding more wolves.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Harminoff posted:

Anyone playing survivalist: invisble strain? If not, you at least owe it to yourself to watch some of Tomato's gameplay, its great!

This game actually has the interactions that The Forest 2 has * 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6ouDRoXeo

And it is only $7!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054510/Survivalist_Invisible_Strain/
Thanks for the heads up on this, I grabbed it and have been playing pretty much nonstop. Restarted a couple times and in my current game I took over a couple of buildings for my base. Kept getting attacked by raiders while trying to build a wall around it (probably didn't help I was about 200 yards from a large compound of them and 10 minutes into the game I killed the first one who tried to extort money from me). Had 2 other people in my community, and we were getting wiped until we managed to kill one carrying a shotgun :getin: Several hours later I had entirely depopulated something like 4 groups of raiders, there was a lady who asked if she could come in my base that didn't have a community, not refugees or anything. After talking to her she said she hated my guts for killing [this very long list of people]. Then another raider showed up and after I shot him he surrendered and I press-ganged him into working for me. He also told me I'd destroyed his group. I have about 4000 lbs of poo poo pulled off their corpses that I sell whenever a trader comes by and the entire area is littered with corpses and graves.

Extremely worth $7.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RandomBlue posted:

It only takes $7 to make a hitler now.
Hey, I didn't force them to come up and be all "gosh this is a nice place it'd be a shame if something happened to it give us money." Nor did I encourage them to keep coming back after I kept killing their raiding parties. They hosed around and found out.

This is the area around my base:

Each one of those small rectangles is a grave. Like a lot of very small projects there isn't a ton of documentation but one of the guides I read said each one can hold up to 4 bodies. The groups bury their own, I just loot the bodies and drag them away from my base so I don't get into fights with the burial parties because I'm busy enough killing the raiders.

Last night's adventure culminated in me finding the HQ of one of the factions that had been harassing me. There were only like 4 of 'em left so I baited one out then hid. I'm maxed in stealth so when the guy headed back into his base after losing me I just snuck in behind him and murdered the rest. Now I have a gigantic base with multiple buildings chock full of goodies. It'll be a long process getting everyone moved up since it's pretty far away from my current location, but I should be set on everything for the coming winter. I'm kind to refugees, always ask if they want to join up and even if they don't I give them permission to come inside and use my well and sit by the fire. I'm not a monster, I just defend what's mine.

:hitler:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

Zomboid is great, it has the downside though that there's no real incident system to shake up the monotony except for one specific event. It's super immersive and hard as balls unless you start with something super able to forage and just run straight away from anything urban.
e: you are utterly locked out of most carpentry tasks until you find a saw, and for ~game design~ reasons ordinary tools like saws and screwdrivers are like diamonds, feel free to tune loot rarity to make it less stupid
This is one of those things in pretty much every survival game that's sensible from a gameplay point of view and silly from a realism standpoint. Think about how much poo poo people have in the average home, especially suburban neighborhoods. Even someone living in a lovely apartment probably has at least a couple of knives and a screwdriver. It's why I turn up loot in most games, because it's annoying to have to search 3 city blocks for a couple of items, even post apocalypse.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

In this particular case at least, re: finding a hand saw it's super not sensible from a gameplay standpoint because it is an absolute roadblock between you and the interesting construction content, requiring tons of boring repetitive sifting through almost-always empty containers. I have no idea who thinks that's good gameplay or why :shrug:
e: like I get the notion of the tradeoff between verisimilitude and fun/challeing/interesting gameplay but this is neither of those, it's just arbitrary
It especially sucks in PZ since leveling carpentry in that game is a pain unless you watch a ton of videos. Still not as bad as goddamn fishing :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I started a game on peaceful mode so it's just a regular survival game. Makes me miss out on the freaky poo poo, but then again there are still dead soldiers everywhere so you don't completely lose the spoopy factor. I'll get to know the map and systems a bit and then switch over to a normal playthrough.

Kelvin is kind of rough, but having someone around to help with the mundane gathering/harvesting poo poo is great. Also the 3 legged lady brings me food and sticks sometimes. I built some chairs around my campfire and both of them use them (although for obvious reasons Victoria doesn't sit quite right). :3:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Black Griffon posted:

So I hear what you're all saying, but part of me wants to just punch the Peaceful button and... chop down every single tree in the forest.

Probably won't! I'll decide later today if I'll refund it and put it back on my waitlist for later.
That's what I've been doing, and it's pretty enjoyable with no enemies and just a lumberjack sim. I've built a nice little cabin with a porch and chairs, so my AI friends and I will chill there in the evenings and look at the pond/river :3:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Oysters Autobio posted:

and in 7DTD the only female zombies are blonde women in short dresses with massive boobs.
You have, using my names for them: Big Mama (the very large lady), Nurse Jackie (the nurse, obviously), Lab Coat Lady (also self-explanatory), Karen (the readhead wearing normal clothes), Jessie (brunette wearing shorts), and Betty (the brunette with the bob also wearing normal clothes). Party Girl as she's officially known is a bit ehhhh, but a definite improvement over the prior model which was a topless woman wearing a g-string. They got rid of the old nurse model which wore a miniskirt and the cheerleader. So FP were super immature and gross, but at least they're slightly less immature and gross now, I guess?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Another thing about 7D is that there are a ton of complete overhaul mods that add a bunch of new stuff. Some of them are grindy AF, though if you are really into resource gathering then that might be just your bag. Obviously with A21 all of those mods are going to need fixing, but it might be a good time to jump in as a new player with vanilla. The first time I played I turned blood moons off and learned the game basics. It's a lot of fun to design a good horde base though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Umbreon posted:

Huh, that actually sounds pretty fun. How does it handle blood moons?
I haven't played DF but GNS and Glock have done playthroughs, and Neebs has an ongoing one. They work the same, but some really crazy poo poo shows up as you progress. Recommended you turn BM spawn numbers down if you're used to running max and especially if you're playing multiplayer.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Seeing some comparisons between the Raft and Survival: The Fountain of Youth, anyone played much of the latter?
I played through the EA storyline content. It's mostly fun, though some of the progression is nonsensical and it gets grindy as poo poo pretty quickly. They really need to tune how many resources things take and the respawn rate of those resources. Exploration is good and it's quite pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tildes posted:

Can someone link me a good (ideally written) guide they think is a good intro to 7 days to die? In theory I feel like I should really like it but in practice I’ve really struggled to get into it.
I don't know any specific written guide, but this is what I would recommend:

Do the starting quests immediately. Seems like a no-brainer, but you get some skill points to spend right away which help immensely. You're gonna want to put at least one of those into Sexual Tyrannosaurus because your stamina is poo poo right out of the gate. No matter what kind of build you want to play, you will need more stamina.

That bedroll you made for the starting quests? Make sure to take it with you.

Head to the trader marked on the map. Hopefully it's not a klick away (I thought they were supposed to fix this but last NG I started had me 1.1km from it). Along the way loot every single pile of trash, car, bag, etc. Grab everything, even if it looks like junk. It probably IS junk, but you're just going to sell everything that isn't actually useful. You might get lucky and get a weapon or tool. At the trader, sell off all your garbage that they'll buy and grab a quest. Recommended to either do a fetch or fetch/clear. Save the buried treasure for later. If you got there early enough, you might have time to do it before nightfall. If so, then do it. If it's like 7pm, skip it for now and look around for a place to spend the night. This may or may not be a long-term place for you, but what's most important is to get safe up off the ground. The rooftop of trailers or a gas station is fine for the first night. Put down your bedroll. Make a storage chest and throw everything except the essentials into it. Unless you can cook something, just crouch down and make yourself as invisible as possible. Then go make a sandwich or load the dishwasher or do some other IRL task until morning comes.

Now that it's daylight, either do the quest you got yesterday or start heading for the trader if you weren't able to make it. Once completed go turn it in. Grind out as many of these as you can as quickly as you can. After doing 5 the trader will offer you a bicycle, which you should take so you can travel faster. Now you can actually start playing. You can also take the special job, which will give you the location of another trader. Head there if you want, but unless they're relatively close stick to the immediate area and loot, loot, loot. You'll do a lot of this while doing trader quests, but you can also just enter a building and kill everything and take the stash.

7DTD has a robust (if clunky) building system, but up until the first horde night it's best to just take over an existing POI and make that your home. Secure it from zombies aka fix any holes in the walls, board up the windows, etc. POIs will have cabinets and places to store your stuff. I try to stay relatively close to the trader just for simplicity's sake. Some people like to combine their horde base and living area, but I'm of the "don't poo poo where you eat" philosophy. Either way, don't worry about the horde base until day 6. Just keep doing jobs, killing zombies, and looting/selling everything that's not immediately useful.

If you have airdrops turned on, those will come every 3 days on default and drop within about 700 yards of your current position. If you've gone loving off into the wilds, then they may end up very far from home. But keep an eye out for them - sometimes they have great stuff and sometimes it's poo poo but anything you don't want you can sell.

On day 6 it's time to start thinking about your horde base. For the first one, you can build something very simple, like a couple of blocks in stair formation and a walkway. Put up a hatch to keep the zombies away and then melee/shoot them. Reinforce to at least wood, cobblestone isn't really needed at this point unless you have a lot of materials. The first horde should only last until about midnight or so. You can also use an existing POI - anything that forces them to a chokepoint that you can block off is good. Think walkways and ladders. You can use this starter for at least 2 or 3 hordes, depending on how fast you level up or how well you made it if you went from scratch. If you built a simple walkway then upgrade it to cobble.

Builds: While these are entirely dependent on how you like to play, some are easier than others.

Strength is a good starter, but if you're new I'd spec into clubs and not skullcrusher. The sledgehammer can be devastating but it's tricky to get the timing down and is a huge stamina hog. Clubs are very good, quick, don't use a lot of stamina, etc. Strength weirdly also governs cooking. Some people are content to just eat whatever they find and maybe put a point into cooking so they can boil meat, but high-tier foods give a lot of health and bonuses. Strength covers shotguns, and the pump and auto shotty are quite good. Also Sexy T-Rex for stamina. No matter what build you probably want at least a couple of points there. Also at least 1 into Miner 69'er because you need resources.

Intellect is another thing you want to put at least a few points into unless you want to depend on RNG for everything. Making a forge and workbench are pretty much mandatory IMO. You can't craft better weapons without them. You can also get into robotics which is very helpful when playing solo. Have a junk turret or sledge turret on you and it's like having another player to help when poo poo gets heavy. Batons can be fun if you want a quicker melee and electrocuting things and using traps on your base can make things much easier as you get into crazier horde nights. Plus unless you have a shitload of money it's quicker to craft your own vehicles than buy them. Low on ammo? Just make some! Daring Adventurer will let you take multiple rewards from quests at high level. Better Barter isn't really needed, since you can eat candy or drink Awesome Sauce (or both) and use the points elsewhere.

Fortitude for resiliency and machine guns. Don't wanna melee? Then get an M60 and shoot the world. Also punchyfists, but that's more advanced. If you have a spare point or two it never hurts to have extra healing.

Agility: Not recommended for new players, but put at least a couple points into parkour. That extra jump height can save your rear end many times over. Pistols can do good damage, but limited ammo capacity can get you into trouble when you're deep in the poo poo. This is the attribute for stabby weapons. A point in sneaking is a good investment. Bows are good for sneak damage when clearing out POIs and absolutely useless on horde nights. Crossbows are super good for stealth, a decent one can one-shot headshot a lot of enemies.

Perception: Spears are bad, don't do it. However, blowing poo poo up is fun. Maybe a couple points into this category. Salvage operations so you can craft a wrench and hammer to make the workbench if you can't find them until your loot stage gets high enough for good ones. Don't bother with Lucky Looter or Treasure Hunter - you can find goggles that give you a boost without having to spend points. The bonus from points isn't really useful until your loot stage is super high.

If you want to watch videos I recommend Glock9, Guns Nerds N' Steel, and Neebs Gaming. G9 plays mostly vanilla, GNS mostly plays overhaul mods and does super crazy base building, and Neebs is just some friends playing doing stupid poo poo but having a good time. There's also a dedicated 7DTD thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545 where you can ask questions and stuff. Since A21 is due any time now I think most people are kind of waiting for that to drop instead of playing but I'd be willing to run around with you for a bit. There's also a goon server but last time I tried to log in it was down, probably also in preparation for A21.