Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

So, for New Super Mario Bros U (the 2D one) is there anything exciting for finishing all the challenges, because holy hell are some of those awful.

EDIT: VVV Okay yeah, screw that.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

Pikmin 2 may not be as punishing as its predecessor, but the level of skill it expects from the player for things like bosses or even just certain enemy layouts is significantly higher. Every single thing in Pikmin 1 except except the final boss, and possibly the burrowing snagret, can be beaten in under 10 seconds with little trouble.

Of course, throwing purples would destroy 90% of everything just the same.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

It turns into Backtracking: The Game riiiight at the end. Kinda like Jet Force Gemini. Except I actually did it in Prime 2.

Of course, you also get a warp so it gets a lot easier!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

What's the order in which I should go through my Wii U Platinum games haul? I have Bayo 1, 2, and W101. I'm tempted to do the Bayonettas first just because I hear that W101 is more polished overall. Plus I liked the demo after playing through it a few times to get the hang of it. :)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I don't think Super Mario Brothers 2 should be in the timeline. Wasn't it all a dream in Mario's head? Like the movie Inception is based on Mario Brothers 2.

The Mario timeline isn't even that hard, smh.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I forgot Nintendo's "Who Are You?" campaign. It was so weird.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

What's the quality of the nintendo shirts? I'm considering using some coinage, and it's a possibility.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Even if you'd had missiles that fight still takes forever. He has an obscene amount of health.

I've made it to the Phazon Mines and the difficulty and intensity really picks up when you're being swarmed with candy coated space pirates.

The beam pirates are pretty simple if you get lucky and get some wave/ ice pirates. They can get stunlocked (or just freeze) if you hit them with a charged shot.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I had to give up on Xenoblade for a while because there are so many pointless MMO quests. Like, I don't want to move on to the next area without finishing at least the majority of quests, but I also don't want to kill 5 wolves and 4 beetles and 6 sheep and collect 7 mouse turds and 4 wilted leaves and all that other stuff.

Somebody really should compile a list of "best of" quest chains that give rewards/ skill trees. Or ones that are just really cool like the Nopon drug ring.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Has Mario Golf 64 aged well?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Banjo Tooie is a greater game than Kazooie, but not necessarily a better one.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

REAL gamers can look at the TV while drawing on the gamepad. :smug:

(I actually forced myself to do this for the more chill sections of the game)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It is way too early in the day for Bill to be playing with my heart like this.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

They seriously need to put TTYD on the Virtual Console.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Aren't the only bosses that spit dudes at you the hive mecha(which is basically a miniboss), the final part of metroid prime and... I don't know, the Omega Pirate has enemies during it but only sometimes and it doesn't spit them. Also they actually make that fight a lot harder and cooler.
Definitely try Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door afterwards, it's even better. Partners have actual HP and stuff!

Thousand Year Door might just be my favorite game of all time. It's everything Paper Mario did well cranked up to 11. It's more of a challenge, the story is better, it's hilarious, there's so much personality, the visuals are excellent, and there really is a ton of content and hidden stuff.

Plus you can get higher than level 30. Not that you needed it, but still what a weird decision.

E: Metroid Prime is a huge contender for that "best game ever" spot though.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

In Paper Mario, there's a random box under the Toad Town dojo... Is this there for a reason? It looks so out of place that I can't help but wonder. :saddowns:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I liked Star Fox: Assault, even the ground missions. :smith:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I beat Bopopolis.

It was hard but rewarding.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Mario Sunshine's platform levels were better because you were 10 years old.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

E: I was seriously not expecting this. Wow.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 13, 2015

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

It's not as bad as the original design for Id's offices, which were drawn up by Sandy Petersen.

This looks like that Zybourne Clock city map.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The load times on PS2 are pretty bad though.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I just completed Operation 006 in Wonderful 101. I was not expecting the story to get so real that quickly. :stare:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

This console generation is going to last a decade. The PS4 and Bone are just now starting to get new games (as opposed to HD remakes) that are worthwhile, and even then half of those are still available on the last generation of consoles.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

With Animal Crossing you could just use those weird universal code things they had to get them all immediately.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

bef posted:

Pretty much. Was a good jrpg for its time and it had good sprites with cool monsters/summons

It is still pretty impressive what they did on the GBA, even though it looks really bad blown up to TV-size.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I didn't say W101 is bad. I said it is not as good as the rabid fanbase believes. 78 on metacritic is about right. And that is the average of 75 critics. For reference Bayonetta 2 is 91. If W101 was as good as the fanbase thinks, it's average rating would be in the 90s, too.

I just think that the gameplay of W101 is just harder to grasp when reviewers only have a few hours to get a game reviewed. Bayonetta is a more accessible game, but that in and of itself doesn't make it better.

For what it's worth, I first got the W101 demo and didn't care for it at all. Then I played Bayo 1 (first Platinum game) and watched a video of somebody being good at W101 and it clicked so much better.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

The best tribute to Iwata they could make is a new version of Balloon Fight with online multiplayer. Team battles and free for alls with at least 8 players. Amiibo support can be similar to Mario Maker in that it unlocks character skins.

I would unironically love for Balloon Fight to become a serious e-sport game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Stories about Bowser kidnapping Peach are fine, and Nintendo is okay about putting twists in them when needed. I liked in Galaxy 1 how "intense" his whole invasion was, and Paper Mario 1's story was just about kidnapping the princess.

The next platformer should do the thing where Peach has unique levels of her own around Bowser's lair. That'd be cool.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Every Eden needs a serpent.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The most bullshit heart piece in WW was the one that came from trawling the wreckage of a random cannon boat in some nondescript quadrant. Everything else made sense- they were either on land or gathered from a treasure chart. But noooooooo~

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I personally am hoping for a drawn-out 30 minute oeuvre on the new Wii U Animal Crossing game, along with a 5 minute explanation on how Amiibo work again.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Hey guys, Bayonetta 2 is amazing and blows the first one out of the water.

I'm on chapter 13, and I know that the final boss doesn't reach the same level of absurdity, but that seems to be just about the only minor setback. Thanks to all the goons recommending this game. :)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Looper posted:

The final boss isn't quite as visually spectacular as Jubileus but is much more fun to actually fight imo

Just beat the game and I have to agree with this. :)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

It may not have been as climatic as the first one, but I enjoyed the W101 reference in Bayonetta 2's final boss.

I laughed when the W101 jingle played as the news report in the opening cutscene.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

So I'm playing through bayonetta right now, should I play W101 before Bayo 2?

Do W101 first. Play Platinum games in release order.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

When will gamexplain stop

Not until everything is explained.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

Hey, without reading the title of the video I want you to watch this and tell me how it makes you feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kvT0dywaF8

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rij_1IJLkfY

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I have fond memories of playing Galaxy 1 on the Christmas it came out. The music, design, and general whimsy made it a really perfect Christmas game for whatever reason. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

SMRPG hasn't aged very well, the isometric view makes the "platforming" needlessly difficult, and the battles aren't nearly as good. This is my opinion but it is also a fact.

• Locked thread