Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

List no more than ten games, those everyone deem universally good, then say something "Looking for more, check this list" and link to something like this or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, what is the story behind the thread title?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The U doesn't do blocks like the 3DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You can put in any USB HDD and even USB keys to expand on space. Deluxe comes with Wii's sensor bar, a stand for both the console and game pad, and a cradle. Also, some bonus credit stuff if you buy digital games, but it's ending at the end of the year. Just go with whatever's cheaper.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And what is the advice Nintendo has been giving out?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I just wish the internal HDD was removable. I'd rather had a white U, too, honestly. Because, yes, that stupid glossy black plastic gets covered in scuffs and dirt like there's no tomorrow.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, 2 TB for a Wii U is overkill as hell.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Wonderful 101 is indeed a wonderful game, but not a multiplayer family gig. Grab instead Smash, Rayman Legends, Mario World, Mario Kart, or Nintendo Land.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That happens with low print games like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Xenoblade. If it's out of stock in all retailers and only affiliate sellers (AKA, scalpers) are selling it, it's out of print. Good news, you can buy it digitally if it's cheaper than what they are asking for it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't have 3D World yet, but I got Mario U cheap and, so far, it's the best of all "New" Mario games that I tried. Stages are usually clever, enemies dancing to the music is a cute little touch, and I'm having fun with it. I imagine co-op would be even greater.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It would be sort of hilarious if the majority end up thinking ALBW is superior to Open World U, while using a fraction of the latter's budget. Next Zelda after that would likely go back to "its roots" again and probably be a feat of formulaic design because it's safer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

God forbid someone has an opinion about a game in the Games forum.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Can they make it all about dad Bowser?

I would watch an entire movie about dad Bowser shenanigans.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

New IP, early title for a console absolutely no one had at the time, no marketing from Nintendo... yeah, there is no way it wasn't going to flop.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

NOE is releasing a monthly Captain Toad comic. Second update is out. It is, uh, it's something. I think any of you random mooks could do something better than that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cheekio posted:

Can anyone elaborate on this? The straight Mario series is splintering into 2d 2.5d and 3d platformers and I'm confused.

New Super Mario U is the best out of the four "New" series. It's rather good. It's 2D.

Mario 3D World is a class act on its own, though. If you can only get one, get this. It's 3D as per the name.

Both games support co-op with New allowing up to five players at once.

Also, Wii compatibility and the fact you enjoyed the first Galaxy game means you should at once locate the second Galaxy game, which is even better than its prequel.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

They should bundle one with Pokemon Z where you get bonus exp for climbing a mountain with a bird Pokemon or reaching the bottom of the ocean with a Magikarp

I'd buy one. I (shamefully) brought my original pokewalker through my commute for months.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

BlindNinja posted:

Is Smash really the only game I can play with others using a GameCube controller? If so, what's my easiest solution to this, a regular Wiimote?

Get this. It's not a true Gamecube controller but a Wii Controler Pro which works for most games. It's backwards-compatible and pretty decently built.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh hey, regarding amiibos, how rare is the Zelda one? Is it looking like it can be grabbed later or is it limited supply and all the mouthbreather scalpers are stockpiling them?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They've said that there will be a number of "core" figures that they intend to always keep in stock, characters such as Mario, Link, and Zelda are among them.

Cool, thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kaleidoscope posted:

Anyone know of balance boards are region locked?

They aren't. They are huge, though, so not something you can really have shipped from one country to another.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

This may or may not have been lost, so I'll try again

https://docs.google.com/viewer

In alternative buy not a tablet but a Kindle. Most cheap displays including the U controller's are rubbish to stare at for too long reading.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

Rats can't download it right now since it being overwhelm when I try to grab the 1920 x 1080 wallpaper.

The one that's already embed in this thread three posts above yours?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I wish Mario Maker would be Nintendo's answer to Little Big Planet. Instead it's just a better Mario hack editor than what hobbyists would do, which isn't bad per se but I can't help but feel disappointed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

deadwing posted:

Little Big Planet is three (four if you count the Vita) loving games in and is still a terrible platformer to actually play mechanically. The third game did a lot to tighten up the jumping but it still just Doesn't Feel Right

I didn't say LBP's platforming wasn't garbage -- it is -- but the amount of ridiculous stuff people script with that game is fascinating as hell. Not to mention the presentation is really charming.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They don't do that with the EU packaging (and thank god for that). Anyway, the guy mentioned getting the wrong registration code (3D World instead of Smash).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

trdn89 posted:

does that mean the old purchases are gone

Yes.

trdn89 posted:

I've heard lots of anecdotes about Nintendo restoring past eshop purchases for 3DSes sold

1) they only started doing that properly after the implementation of the NNID (which the Wii entirely lacks)
2) before that they would give store credit to rebuy stuff for a broken/stolen system if you could prove that was the case

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

More than Bayonetta 2 or Wonderful 101, Splatoon is going to be one of those games people will remember for years to come but barely anyone will play. It's sad.

Away all Goats posted:

Is there anyway to access the Wii's Virtual Console if I don't have a WiiRemote?

And this got lost a page or two ago. No, you can't. You need a Wiimote and a sensor bar to interact with the Wii mode to use its store and play its games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

because people are both ignorant and love getting offended.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Guess that makes it OK to wear swastikas on your clothes then and that won't be a problem at all

Tell me about it. Also, thanks for the stupid derail.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm confused too, does this mean I can use my pointless star points to get Wii point cards to use on the Wii store of my Wii U and buy Mario galaxy? Or are those cards only for the Wii store, on the Wii?

Wii point cards only work on the Wii store, as in the non-U one. MG2 is only available on the U one since the Wii didn't have digital versions of its retail games.

I think the guy meant you can buy VC stuff cheaper on the Wii store as opposed to the U one. I'm pretty sure that stuff is equally priced in Europe, but it may be different in NA.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You do own a Wii! It's inside your Wii U. Yes, it is that convoluted, but you can access the specific Wii store through "Wii mode" and use those points there.

e: beaten.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They really shouldn't have announced that some games would support the tablet as a controller, because none of the first wave games actually do, but hell if Nintendo's not the best at creating confusion. I mean, I understand that Iwata as an engineer was excited about the fact they had managed to provide both support for Wii digital titles and some tablet controller compatibility, but you don't announce the latter without anything to show -- you wait for the right moment and in the process avoid causing a bunch of confusion for your customers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

What good system has the Power Stone games?

PSP. Dreamcast still awesome, regardless.

A shame Capcom never got their poo poo together when they had the chance to make a Power Stone 3. Too late now. Capcom's in a rather bleak situation right now.

TenaciousJ posted:

What's a Vita?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If you liked the third one very much, yeah, get on that. TTT2 is really good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Digital games being offered on Club Nintendo is US only.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Did someone say Rainbow Curse or whatever has multiplayer? Isn't it entirely a touch-screen based game? How does that work? Or is it not local MP but *gasp* through the Internet?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's four DS Kirby games:

Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, Super Star Ultra, and Mass Attack. Of those the only mediocre one is Squeak. It's not even bad, just nothing you'd write home about or feel happy paying full price for.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

USGamer rated Rainbow Curse a 5 out of 5.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Does the U have a lower amp USB output than a desktop/laptop?

It does. Nintendo does not recommend at all to use a HDD that doesn't have its own power supply.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yeah, you can even use the Gamepad as a sensor bar.

I always hate having to connect that thing. How does this method work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Please understand.

I'mma let you finish but I gotta nuke Memerun from orbit and kill it with fire. It's the only way to be sure nothing of value is lost. Honk honk.

elf help book posted:

I really disliked Lost in Shadow but it's been long enough that I can't speak on it with authority.

Eh, Lost in Shadow is a rather mediocre ICO-style game, trying to be artsy for artsy's sake. It felt like a bunch of people in an office throwing around ideas on how to make one of those games. The end result is pretty disjointed, but it's a game. There are worse games on the Wii without even counting in the tremendous amount of shovelware, but one shouldn't really recommend Lost in Shadow as a must-play for the Wii.

Now let me tell you about the many Sega ports of arcade lightgun games. The Wii made it possible to relive those dumb things after the move to non-CRT TVs and poo poo's fun. That's my suggested reason on why you should own a Wiimote.

• Locked thread