Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
What a shame that we won't get Assassin's Creed on the Wii U. I guess.

But an even bigger shame is that Watch Dogs is still on track for the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chronojam posted:

It might be worth adding to the OP that you get a discount on rebuying any Wii U VC titles you had on the Wii VC. I forget the exact pricing but it's like $1.00 for NES games to get the upgraded version.

More importantly seems many people have missed out on the Digital Deluxe Promotion that every Deluxe comes with, so we could have something about that as well. If you got a refurb or transferred from a Wii U to Deluxe, you're also earning points. People are probably sitting on money-back they didn't realize they have, which can be used for Wii U or 3DS titles.

Wii U DDP Details:
Earn points on all Wii U digital purchases made through Dec 2014
*Purchases made in the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii U do not qualify.
*Purchases made at the Nintendo eShop within the Nintendo 3DS do not qualify.
Exchange points to receive activation codes by Mar 2015
Activation codes earned must be redeemed at the Nintendo eShop by the end of June 2015
There is no deadline to use funds once added to your balance in the Nintendo eShop\
*Funds can be used for Wii U or 3DS purchases

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, good point. OP should have this too.

It's 1.00 USD to upgrade a NES title and 1.50 to upgrade SNES titles you already owned on the Wii VC.

It wouldn't hurt to put a blurb on there about how doing the re-purchase upgrade is optional and your games on Wii VC still work fine. And also you don't lose access to the Wii VC version if you do upgrade so you can go back and play it there instead I guess.

Also, this should be somewhere in the OP:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

Every single line break is that image

Shouldn't have squashed it. :(

Nolgthorn posted:

This image is so last thread.

I guess that's true. Motion to add the following image to the OP so that people are aware of the HD nature of the Wii U:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Just list all the currently expensive Wii games like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Metroid Prime Trilogy followed by a link to this song while they make their purchases.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I think part of the problem with mentioning what Wii games are worth playing is the Wii was a system that, like most Nintendo post SNES home consoles, were system that had a handful of really great games and then a bunch of okay games that the base told themselves were actually really good because they didn't have all that much else between the really good games. I'm not saying that the Wii didn't have some really amazing games and I'm not saying there aren't some hidden gems, but I've been burned so many times by playing a game that was hyped as being amazing when it really was just okay for a system that had no other similar options.

This is pretty much every console, though, including the SNES and before.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

Shhhhh. Don't crush his narrative. Even though despite the fact that the large majority of people who would be talking to you on an internet messaging board about video games had multiple consoles last generation so there wasn't really a "oh they only had access to this so they thought it was the best thing ever."

The whole thing is subjective anyway. For instance, if I were to have made a must-have list for the PS3, I wouldn't be listing games that others would swear by such as the Uncharted series or The Last of Us or whatever, but I would be listing stuff like the Yakuza games, most of Platinum's games, and Tokyo Jungle The Best Game On The PS3 (also this happens on pro-tier PS3 import Super Robot Wars Z3). Meanwhile, I could list Wii games all day that I thought were fun even if I don't think they're the Greatest Games Ever or fall under some niche genre that most people don't like. Also, Metacritic is poo poo so ignore that.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 20, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

how do you think she curls up into a ball

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

"A Hind D? What's a Russian gunship doing here?" - Captain Toad looking at one of Bowser's airships

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Why are you guys surprised CoD isn't coming to the Wii U? It's been an Xbox Exclusive (tm) for years according to a bunch of advertisements I've seen sponsored by Mountain Dew DOUBLE XP

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Kewpuh posted:

Dont be taint reaped by misinformation

But then how will I know I'm getting the most value per hour out of my fifty cents for any given video game?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Kewpuh posted:

If you recently bought Wii U though I would highly recommend Zombi U because it is uh how do you say the poo poo that killed elvis

I agree with this, and I'm tired of zombies in media otherwise. The game is a legit survival horror game rather than just a standard FPS featuring zombies, and you can't just run around gunning things down like you're Doomguy. It's a shame Ubisoft won't be making a sequel that fixes some of the game's issues like the melee combat only having one attack animation.

Kaubocks posted:

harsh

I'm sorry you hate cool games because for the most part I'm only pretty vocal about games I love!

I disagree with your opinions on Pikmin, but I agree with your opinions on Kid Icarus Uprising so it evens out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ubisoft won't release the next AssCreed game on the Wii U because somebody in this thread bought it for only $1.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

So when is the Wii U gonna get a port of Guild Wars 2?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

elf help book posted:

Please quote some numbers you don't know are true and don't understand. Maybe we can turn this ship around. Maybe we can come up with a new name for the console?

I have come up with several names after researching what people would want to buy only because of the name:

- Super Wii
- Wii 2
- Nintendo Revolution
- Ultra 64
- Xbox 420
- Playstation Not Vita
- Netflix Cable Box

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

What the Wii U should have is a sequel to legendary NES stock market simulator Wall Street Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJ_tFaEH0k

I think that the gamers of 2014 can appreciate their masterful financial analysis skills being put to the test.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nano Assault Neo is a really fun twin-stick shooter with a weird virus whatever motif and the surface you run across reminds me of Mario Galaxy's spherical gravity stuff. Also it's on sale right now, I recommend it if you like arcade-y shooters. :)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Super Mario Bros 3

Out of all the worlds in the game, I find 3 and 6 to be among the more difficult. At least both allow you to pick your poison as to what stages you want to navigate, since there's no real incentive to clear every stage in a world beyond bragging rights. In any case, I don't recall anybody saying that World is harder than 3 at all. If I remember right, I was able to beat World within three days of getting my SNES back in '92 or so, whereas I was still working on getting better at SMB3.

Have you tried doing the infinite lives trick in world 1-2? I always figured you could just grind out lives then and then never worry about them later in the game.

EDIT: Here's a video on a couple different places you can grind up infinite lives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VsLVefGEIs

Austrian mook posted:

Someone post the quote that got him the av, I'm busy.

ok

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

night slime posted:

Nintendo can go it alone--I have faith in them. WHen did Mario ever need an ally to defeat Bowser. Peace out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gRKLANooA

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Chaltab posted:

Say whatever DID happen to the shitpost about Wii U thread? It kind of served a valuable function.

It still exists but everybody moved on to the Xbone thread which is more fun or so I have heard.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

It's a shame that none of the DLC from the Steam version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed made it to the Wii U version. Ryo is a cool guy, whether he is drinking sodas, buying capsule toys, or flipping cars over with his forklift.

They can leave the Yogscast DLC on Steam though because Yogscast haha

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Is the Yogscast game coming out for the Wii U, though?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Speaking of being on topics, my local Best Buy has pretty much every Wii U accessory on "clearance" but I've heard of other stores doing this just to move units.

I was able to grab a headset for the console at about $5 a while back, and it looks like you still can. It's the closest thing to an official headset I suppose, what with it being licensed (Seal of Approval and all) and being in similar blue and white packaging as all the other official accessories.

The speakers are fine, but I can't vouch for the microphone as I haven't really played with it online. I don't even know what games actually support voice chat.

EDIT: Speaking of microphones, you can grab SiNG Party with the microphone for about $16 at Best Buy, Amazon, or Wal-Mart. I dunno if it's any good but I figure you can find it cheaper at like maybe a K-Mart or some other dying retailer.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 23, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo is stupid... Give me Pikmin 3 for free, and don't have Pikmin 1 and 2 ready to buy in the eShop?

Well, there's two reasons for this:

1) Wii games aren't on the eShop
2) Should've bought them before they started going up in price :smuggo:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look at this guy who didn't get them new on Gamecube :smuggo:.

:smuggo: Gotta buy them all! Pikmin! :smuggo:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously though, I really wouldn't be surprised if GCN games start turning up on the eShop once the Smash controllers are out.

I'd be down with that, even though I already own a sizable Gamecube collection. Give folks access to stuff like Chibi-Robo and F-Zero GX maybe.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

But before we do that, Wii Fit on a Wii U/over HDMI looks ugly as all hell and I'm probably going to donate this set to Goodwill.

If you're still interested in some version of Wii Fit, you could just keep the Balance Board and buy Wii Fit U with the Fit Meter, since the bundle that comes with the Balance Board is like $90 ($80 clearance at Best Buy) while the bundle without the Balance Board is $40 on Amazon. The Balance Board works on the Wii U version fine in any case.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Pretend you receive a digital platinum trophy and/or 1000 Gamer Points to show off to the world.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

From my perspective the Wii U suffered from the Wii's glut of shovelware/mediocre titles and lackluster entries in its big franchises; it had its share of great games but it died a long slow death. I camped out for the drat thing on launch night and by 2011 I almost didn't bother getting Skyward Sword. A lifelong Nintendo fanboy almost didn't get a console's Zelda title. Nintendo burned through a lot of goodwill and fumbled the Wii U's launch too badly to make up for it. Either people thought it was yet another stupid peripheral, or they were asking why they should buy yet another underpowered console so they could play more minigame collections and New Super Mario. Between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword even Zelda started to feel like an "okay" series, so you didn't even have that to look forward to as a system seller.

The complete failure of motion controls was pretty disheartening too. It felt like we had suffered through the beta test of waggle for nothing. We dealt with an underpowered, non-hd console and a generation of entries in flagship series with waggle shoehorned into them just so that work could get tossed out the window. It was disappointing to gradually realize what a failed experiment that was and left me with little confidence in Nintendo's latest stupid gimmick, this time a tablet controller that no one asked for or wanted.

Where'd you find this quote? NeoGAF or GameFAQs?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The Wii has a lot of fun games, and the Wii U has some fun games with more on the way. :)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah but how Core are those games this is important

We're gonna need a rubric to objectively determine the core qualities of these video games so that the gamers of Gametopia don't accidentally play Angry Birds.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The controls in Skyward Sword are fine, it's the unskippable tutorials Fi gives you every five seconds that's terrible.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Why hasn't anybody recommended Zelda II?

I recommend Zelda II. It's a good game if you aren't a modern games baby.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright come on in no way is that a good recommendation for someone who "wants to see what the Zelda love is all about".

Literally every other Zelda would be a better first Zelda than that one.

My first Zelda game was Zelda II, followed by the first, and then A Link to the Past. And I was a huge fan of Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden so I guess what I'm saying is there needs to be more action-platformer Zelda games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

enojy posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny whether or not coin-based game purchases (i.e. Kirby for 200 coins netting ~79 points) count towards the Deluxe Digital Promotion?

I will also confirm.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

enojy posted:

Three thanks to the lot of you cute gamers.

edit: triple star thanks.

It also worked with the free games from that Mario Kart 8 promotion. Apparently, any Wii U download code you redeem, regardless of how you get it, will give you points as though you paid full price for the game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I found New Play Control Pikmin 2 for $30 at a local used game shop. I'm guessing this was a good deal considering I couldn't find it anywhere until now?

Seems like most eBay prices for a used copy of the game are at the $40 range, so I guess that's fine. I got lucky and found a copy at a local GameStop for $25 that may have been actually new, but whatever. The price for that game went up quite a bit after most major retailers stopped carrying it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

This is a problem because a scale of 0~10 has an average of 5 so 7~8 is....wait, above average? Those darn journos using numbers the way they're supposed to work! :mad:

It works because reviews are like school grades and a 5 is like a failing grade, because if there's one way to legitimize my hobby it's trying to shove some academia into it even though the reviewer barely passed high school English.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I don't understand this mindset at all, they are completely different styles of game. SNMBU controls really well and is a fun 2D platformer if completely unrevolutionary. Super Luigi U is really loving fun too, possibly better.

Yep, both games are different kinds of fun. Buy them all, buy all the Marios. But especially buy Super Luigi U as I found it to have some of the most fun level design in a good while.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Using the super guide for any game when you're not literally a child is loving shameful.

Some dudes needs to know if Mario actually saves Peach or not. Gotta see that ending.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

Dammit Kaubocks you didn't even play Pikmin 3 you only played the first one maybe I should update the OP telling people not to listen to your awful opinions :mad: :mad: :mad:

Do this and add Hyrule Warriors to the OP, that would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Finally, I can organize all those games I bought on eShop. It was getting crowded and unorganized, especially with all the Virtual Console games I have.

And the name is displayed on the folder! An entire name, not just a single letter/number like the 3DS folders!

EDIT: Somebody else on the internet has tested the full potential of folders:

• Locked thread