Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Don't forget the late DS game: Pokemon Conquest and the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. I hope we get more of these collabs, I want my Metal Gear Star Fox.

Smash Bros and Pokken Fighters being developed by Namco seems kind of line with that, too. I wonder if we'll see Kuma or Roger or something in Pokken Fighters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The worst part is that roughly half the cutscenes are very entertaining so you never quite know whether you should skip a cutscene the first time through.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I love 3D World, but I actually prefer the possibility of competition in NSMBU. I just like that you don't share lives, you have more ways to attack each other, there's less space to avoid each other, etc.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

SystemLogoff posted:

My best guess (and like all armchair stuff, is 100% likely wrong) they were embarrassed that it was not their new "Wii Sports". Except, you know, there were no cute commercials of two older gentleman promoting it with "Wii would like to play."

Man, I wish those commercials would come back, they were awesome.

It's a shame, too, because I honestly think the game really sold me on the Pad. It's easily my favorite party game since Warioware Smooth Moves.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm glad you like it! MMX is simply incredible. It's perfect a perfect video game (I ignore all the idiots who bitch about having to repeat one level).

I don't even remember this. Which level do you happen to repeat, again?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

I actually think the NES title is better than LTTP for children. It's insanely difficult and they don't give you any direction, but it is genuinely fun exploring the world completely freely and discovering stuff 100% by your own volition. I still remember being 7 years old or whatever and discovering the final temple early on by bombing a weird looking rock. I think that kind of freedom is good for kids and they latch onto it. That probably part of the reason Minecraft is so popular among kids, it just drops you in a world and immediately lets you do whatever without forcing you to listen to a story or dialogue or do objectives in a certain order.

I think it's a pretty cool game when you have crazy amounts of time and no expectations of what a game like that should play like. I will say, though, that Link to the Past also had me lost and confused when I was a small child despite being pretty guided.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

Me too, but I never gave up! The satisfaction of figuring stuff out in that game was fantastic.

Same here! I guess what I'm getting at is that LttP can be that game for a kid, too.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Asnorban posted:

The worst part about the Hyrule Warriors reviews are how much time the reviewer has spent in each one I've read seemingly shocked that it isn't a Zelda game or a perfect hybrid of Zelda gameplay and Dynasty Warriors gameplay. It's been pretty obvious from day one that this was, just like every other IP used for a Dynasty Warriors game, just a Zelda skin on DW gameplay.

They didn't have Super Mario World on sale during the Mario week either. So at least they are keeping with the norm here.

Haha, yeah. It's like they were secretly thinking "the dungeon puzzles must not be in this trailer either."

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I don't understand this mindset at all, they are completely different styles of game. SNMBU controls really well and is a fun 2D platformer if completely unrevolutionary. Super Luigi U is really loving fun too, possibly better.

I don't get it either. The way you interact with the other players is also very different in NSMBU, in a way that makes it (in my opinion) a better multiplayer title. You just have more freedom with how you want to play the game.

3D World is amazing and fresh and a great game, but I do feel NSMBU and Wii has things to offer that it doesn't. I'd go as far as to say that if I'm playing with good players, I'd rather play NSMBWii or U for the competitive aspect of it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

If you don't have Nintendoland, it's probably the best party game available on the console. I'd get that next.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Bayonetta is kinda nonsensical until the end, at which point I felt like the themes of the game came together and I actually started really enjoying the story. Still wouldn't tell anyone to play it for the plot though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I missed the long jump in Sunshine, but being able to hop on your stomach repeatedly to move quickly, as well as being able to create a water slide wherever you go more than made up for it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

That Polygon review doesn't seem willing to even attempt to understand the meaning of sexuality in Bayonetta. If games are art and we should hold them to a high cultural standard as a result, then maybe a review should actually, you know, analyze that game as a piece of art, as well. "I won't even guess why [Bayo 2 is oversexualized]" is a cop out, in my opinion.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

Bayonetta 2 is A Good Game but holy gently caress dude, sex in video games is literally never more than eye candy and it's perfectly fine to criticize that.

You're right, nothing in a video game could ever be taken more than at literal face value, what was I thinking?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Wii Party U is pretty good if you stick to ball dozer and playing games individually. It's no Nintendo Land but we had a blast with it once we started avoiding the long modes like the board game or Fashion Plaza.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are there any games that are doing anything cool/innovative with the gamepad screen? Or is all just mirroring or showing the game map?

Yes, play Nintendoland. NSMBU also has a pretty fun use of it, but it's not central to the game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

jivjov posted:

I'm fairly certain that that makes it not a swastika, but rather a different symbol. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it being mirrored makes it mean something entirely different.

Neo Rasa posted:

A swastika is reflected and at a 45 degree angle though so it's not quite identical to a manji/Legend of Zelda map. I really did like how they just had it in there though, it was how I learned the difference because as a seven year old kid I'd be like "why does this have the German symbol in it." I remember at one point seeing like a charge of similar symbols from different cultures that developed independently of each other too.

This is from last page but I figured it would be useful to clear this up. All of these things are swastikas under the original Sanskrit meaning of the term (which simply referred to the shape itself, which appeared in any number of positions and orientations on clothing, books, pottery, etc.). Eventually the symbol made its way into Buddhism which in turn made its way to East Asia, where certain orientations of the symbol came to mean specific things (i.e. life and death in the case of the manji). The Nazi party used the swastika because they saw it as an Aryan symbol (and, according to some theories about the origins of the Vedic people, they were right).

So while all of these symbols bear their own particular meaning depending on which culture they hail from, it's still correct to call them swastikas.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

greatn posted:

Actually their conservative Japanese corporate structure creates an environment where no one has the power to make decisions and everyone has veto.

It's miraculous how consoles and games get released in a system where apparently no one can make any decisions.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

greatn posted:

Hey that's the word from ex Nintendo employees.

If we're talking about the same interview, I remember this quote being about Kyoto-based companies being especially slow, and how most of the bold decision-making had to come from top management. I don't really think that implies laziness, though they're definitely slow.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Fix posted:

I didn't like Final Fantasy. Or it might be more accurate to say I liked it at first but got sick of the grind (over three decades).

Why are we comparing Hyrule Warriors to Final Fantasy? :confused:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

smash bros is, and I quote, a "mascot sim" which is why genre curation on GameFAQs is a sham. It isn't a "fighting" game

Kingdom Hearts also falls into the genre of Mascot Sim, letting you live out your wildest fantasies as Jack Skelleton, Owl, Cloud, and The Ace of Spades card from "Alice In Wonderland"

But it's not as good of a Mascot sim as Super Mario RPG. :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

raditts posted:

I don't understand where you're confused, if the bitch said "hey go get me a potion from your sister" how do you not piece together "hmm, maybe I should find the sister, get the potion, and bring it back here"?

I think what happened here was that he went to the woods for the first time later in the cycle, and saw the event where one of them is in the forest looking for her sister. There's no indication that leaving, then going back in and following the same monkey will take you to a different witch if you've never encountered this event before.

I never ran into this problem because when I came across the second event (where they're both in the forest), I had already done it once on the first day. So I suppose I could see how someone would find this unintuitive.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The monkey keeps on running right past that first witch. Koume also says she's out in those woods looking for her sister.

Forgot about this part. I guess if you pay good attention the game gives you the clues you need anyway.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Smoremaster posted:

I kind of want to get a Wii U but the games seem underwhelming. What's the best game, the one that makes me want to buy the console to play it?

Honestly? Nintendoland. I'm not even kidding.

I don't even think it's the best Wii U game but it single-handedly justifies the Game Pad in my opinion.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Game & Wario is mostly garbage but there's one minigame that's basically Pokemon Snap and it really rules. There are only like 6 short stages though and you can 100% the entire thing in just a few hours.

I know I shouldn't regret passing on Game and Wario for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze with my Club Nintendo reward, but for a split second there this made that happen.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 20, 2015

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

So wait, is there a Splatoon demo up on the eShop right now, or no?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Rival Schools: United by Fate was PSX only and Project Justice was on the Dreamcast.

Alpha 3's best version was on the dreamcast and the Saturn version is ungodly expensive due to how low print the run was

Jojo's bizarre Adventure was on the DC

Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2 were on the DC not the saturn

I only have the second Dark Stalkers on the Saturn so I can't vouch for the quality of 1 and 3 for the Saturn since I got the PSX versions. and 2 was never released on the playstation.

So what are you talking about all the best Capcom fighters? All the best were on the Dreamcast and not the Saturn.

and then there was Cyberbots which remains the lone saturn exclusive, I bought a Saturn for this too.

I know that replying to a post like this a page later is not a great practice, but here are some Saturn fighting games for anyone who might be interested in that:

X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Best on Saturn

Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter - Best on Saturn

Waku Waku 7 - Only on Saturn?

Vampire Savior - Also on Dreamcast, but good on Saturn too

Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Not a perfect port, but the best console port is on Saturn (I think this is pre-RAM cart).

Cyberbots - as you mentioned, only on Saturn

Children of the Atom and Marvel Superheroes were also better on Saturn than on PSX, though I think most people are more into the crossover games.

And of course the Saturn had a lot of cool games that weren't fighting games, like Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, Puyo Puyo 2, Panzer Dragoon, etc. It was pretty good system, though I picked the PSX over it in the 90s.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Kid Fenris posted:

The Saturn port of Waku Waku 7 isn't all that great. The load times are annoying and it slows down horribly with huge characters on the screen. There's a Sunsoft Collection on the PlayStation 2 with Waku and Galaxy Fight, though it's expensive. Same goes for the Neo-Geo carts.

And there's a PlayStation version of Cyberbots. You can get it on the American PSN and everything! The Saturn version is closer to the arcade, but there's nothing wrong with the PlayStation port.

If you want a decent Saturn fighting game found nowhere else, try Sonic Council. It's not the best-looking 2-D fighter, but the gameplay is solid.

Huh, I never knew about the PSX version of Cyberbots. Thanks for the correction! To be honest most Saturn fighters can be found on other consoles, but I think the real reason to have had one was for an experience closer to the arcade. Now in the days of good arcade emulation and umpteen PS2 era collections like Street Fighter Alpha Anthologies and what not it's not such a big deal I guess.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Smash is there twice, because people cannot let Melee go. No matter what happens to Smash as a franchise, there is a very vocal group of people that will not accept it, because it's "not like Melee". It's like how 3rd Strike, while a fine game, is, in many circles, still more competitive than any other incarnation of the series. People cannot accept change.

I'm confused. So if you like something and the people who made it make a new thing, you have to stop enjoying the old thing entirely? People still play Melee because people still enjoy it. Just like Japan still plays SF2.

People talk about old games like they're a long-dead relative or something. It's loving videogames, play the videogame you think is fun, Jesus Christ it's not rocket science.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

raditts posted:

It comes off as odd because there have been several new iterations of the same game with improvements. Kind of like people who still use Windows 95 or something.

It's really not that odd because video games are not productivity tools, they're entertainment. And what "improves" on entertainment is pretty subjective. You may as well wonder aloud why anyone would want to watch an old movie when the remake exists.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a little beyond that, though. Like, Melee people are furious that the series did not stagnate. Like, the entire point of Project M was to mod Brawl to be like Melee with better graphics. This is like if the people who still play exclusively Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo were to make a total conversion mod for USF4 that removes supers, ultras, meters, and focus attacks, and then try to make it an official tournament event while Capcom glowered at them from the VIP booth.

As an aside, SSF2T does have supers. :eng101:

That said, I'm sure some people who like Melee legitimately cannot handle the idea of playing a Smash Bros game that is not exactly the same as Melee. To say that Melee tournament exists purely because everyone who plays Melee has some kind of mental deficiency is a stupid and needless generalization on the same level as saying that all people who play Smash 4 are consumer whores who buy whatever is put in front of them.

Also, for the same reasons as above, it is a stupid and needless generalization to say that people who want to play in a Melee tournament are the same people as those who are furious that the series "did not stagnate", who are the same as those who like Project M, who in turn are the same as people who want Project M to be at official Smash Bros tournaments.

In the interest of keeping the conversation friendly, I would propose we refrain from making GBS threads on people for liking something we don't personally care about.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Melee has gotten more viewership and entrants than any game besides Street Fighter IV. If Super Turbo was still pulling those numbers it'd probably be at Evo too.

Hell, it was until 2008 (with one year being the Anniversary Edition I believe), meaning SF2 lasted about 11 years in the "mainstream" tournament scene despite there being a lot of other Street Fighter games after it. And even after that it got two more years through HD Remix, being featured concurrently with SFIV.

I think Marvel 2 and Melee are the only other games I've seen last as long as SF2 has in big tournaments. I bet SBO would still be featuring SF2 if it still existed.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Do pro smash players have a mental image of Sakurai sitting at a desk programming Brawl thinking 'this'll show those loving nerds trying to play my game competitively'

I think Sakurai actually did talk about how he wanted the game to be less about skill determining the winner so that people of different skill levels could play together and have fun. He wanted to shift the focus of enjoyment away from the results screen. I don't have a link for you but I believe it was on the dojo.

Unfortunately this is likely what led to a lot of weird design decisions in Brawl that people didn't really care for, like tripping or the huge bias towards defensive play. I honestly think Smash 4 is a lot better at catering to everyone than Brawl is.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ikanreed posted:

... I liked the big sprawling nintendo fanfic plot.

You know, I'm actually with you on that one. I liked that there was a kind of story mode that took itself seriously despite its ridiculous premise. I didn't like actually playing that part up until the Great Maze, but I dug the existence of it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Who dictated that? You?

Smash is supposed to be about having fun knocking people out of the ring, how you do it is up to you and whatever group you play with.

Uhhh I only play in boxed in custom levels on Stamina mode, don't tell me what to do!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

LINE has the best loving stickers. See also their Street Fighter II collection.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Chieves posted:

Freaking :lol: I thought when you mentioned that it petered out, that was like maybe 10 episodes in. But this? Mad respect, man.

I was thinking the same thing. What is not "fizzling out" to Jivjov?!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Bayonetta 1 is an absolutely amazing game and being able to play it without worrying about load times is definitely worth it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'm disappointed that the Hitmons aren't in that game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Strictly in terms of multiplayer, I personally enjoyed NSMBU more than 3D World. I think the co-op is more fun and it controls way better.

I do like 3D World a lot too, though. I just am not a fan of the controls and I like the semi-competitive aspect of the NSMB console games. I think saying one is just strictly better than the other is just silly though, because they play really differently and are fun in different ways.

If you're looking for a fresh and new experience, I'd say 3D World is the obvious choice. But if you haven't played multiplayer NSMB on consoles before definitely, definitely play NSMBU. The Wii and U versions of that series are some of the best multiplayer games I've played.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 22, 2016

• Locked thread