Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

(last updated September 2016)

Previous thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554018

Current Models

• iPhone 7: Current flagship, 4.7" screen (1334x750, 326ppi), A10 processor, Jet Black (shiny), Black, Gold, Silver or Rose Gold. 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB. Improvements over 6s include better camera with OIS, longer battery life, and a wide-gamut screen. Home button is now force touch, and there is no headphone jack. From US$649 unlocked.
  • iPhone 7 Plus: Same hardware as the 7, but adds 5.5" screen (1920x1080, 401ppi), and a second camera wtih a 2x zoom. Same storage as the standard 7. From $769 unlocked.
  • iPhone 6s: Last year's flagship, 4.7" screen (1334x750, 326ppi), A9 processor with M9 motion tracker, Gold, Silver, Rose Gold, or Space Grey. 32GB or 128GB. From US$549 unlocked.
  • iPhone 6s Plus: Same hardware as the 6s, but adds 5.5" screen (1920x1080, 401ppi), optical image stabilization to camera (photos and videos), and some apps will have more iPad-like layouts in landscape mode. 32GB or 128GB. From US$649 unlocked.
  • iPhone SE: The greatest hits album, 6S hardware (more or less) in a 5S case. 4" screen (1136x640, 326ppi), A9 processor with M9 motion tracker, Gold, Silver, Rose Gold, or Space Grey. 16GB or 64GB. From US$399 unlocked.

More info: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Generation History
(stolen from the last thread)
  • iPhone 7 and 7 Plus (10th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - A10 Fusion with big.LITTLE architecture, M10 motion tracker, improved 3D touch/"taptic engine", 12MP camera (7) or cameras (7 Plus) with OIS on both models. Plus has 2x optical zoom plus portrait effect (eventually). Home button is solid state and uses the 3D touch. Headphone jack is gone and lightning earpods ship with the phone.
  • iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, and the SE (9th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - A9 CPU with M9 motion tracker, 3D touch on 6S and Plus, 12-megapixel camera with 4K video support.
  • iPhone 6 and 6 Plus (8th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - A8 CPU with M8 motion tracker, NFC, larger 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens, OIS on the plus model only.
  • iPhone 5s (7th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - 64-bit A7 CPU, new M7 motion tracker uses far less power, TouchID fingerprint reader for faster authenticating to locked iPhone, more camera improvements including dual-LED flash.
  • iPhone 5c (6th Generation - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - Essentially a 5 in a plastic body, choice of 5 colors, first time a new product is introduced instead of the old one just being discounted.
  • iPhone 5 (6th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - Apple-designed CPU in A6 SoC, taller 4" screen, improved camera, added LTE.
  • iPhone 4S (5th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 9.3.5 - A twice as fast iPhone 4, introduced Siri, had a better Camera than the iPhone 4.
  • iPhone 4 (4th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 7.1.2 - The first iPhone to boast a retina display. Also improved on the internals of the 3GS, was much faster. This phone was also a complete redesign from the iPhone 3G/3Gs
  • iPhone 3GS (3th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 6.1.3 - The first iPhone to use new internals (better chipset, faster speeds). This was also the first device to use an oleophobic coating, making the glass resistant to fingerprint oil, and cleans easier.
  • iPhone 3G (2th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 4.2.1 - The first iPhone to boast both 3G data connectivity and carrier subsidization. This phone was only available on AT&T. This phone was a redesign of the original iPhone.
  • iPhone (1st Generation) - Max Support iOS Version 3.1.3 - The original iPhone, cost a poo poo ton of money since carriers were not subsidizing the cost. Slow, but revolutionary at the time, only runs on the EDGE network of AT&T.
iOS
iOS 10 is the latest version. This time around, Messages got turned into a rave party, apps can better integrate wtih Siri and the phone app, Music.app got redesigned again and the control center got split in two. The font did not change this time.

More Information
(taken from the last thread's OP, should still be correct)

FlashBangBob posted:

:d:Official Accessories:d:

Apple Lightning to USB Cable - You get one of these in the box, however if you need more than one this may help.

Cases/Bumpers/Protectores Highly Recommended by Goons

Amazon Basic Lightning Cable - Works fine (I own two of them), they cost around $5 cheaper than the offical Apple cable.
A ton of other iPhone accessories - I give a link to the Amazon iPhone 5 accessory list, as there are a plethora of different things. Use goons and this thread to help get reviews on the better products. Rule of thumb, if it seems really cheap on the price side, its probably pretty cheap on the quality side.

:d:Warranty:d:

AppleCare+ - AppleCare+ is the extended warranty that you can purchase on your iPhone. You pay $99 up front, this covers your iPhone for an additional 1 Year on top of the 1 Year you get from Apple without AC+. AppleCare+, however, will also grant you two "Accidental" replacements for $79 each. This means that if you drop your iPhone and the screen shatters, or you drop it in your tub full of water, or you spike it to the floor volleyball style, you bring it in, fork over $79, and you get a "new" refurbished model (which are considered new).

SquareTrade - This is essentially AppleCare+, however is good for only one use (and terminates the warranty when you do use it to replace your iPhone). Its not as easy as walking into an Apple Store to get it taken care of on the spot (however they do have options to do this).

Apps & Games
Games Thread
Apps Thread

What to use this thread for?
  • Finding out the latest and greatest news and rumors for iPhones.
  • Ask questions about accessories.
  • Store Availability
  • Questions about which model to use, and why you should buy one in the first place.
  • Other questions that are relevant to the iPhone.

still don't talk about your shipping updates

leather cases are good, don't sit on your phone, don't get 16gb phones unless you want to, stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Considering that the iOS 8 GM is already in the wild, it doesn't seem like it. But maybe they're holding any iPad software changes until next month?

It's certainly possible. They already have Apple Pay and the Continuity features coming in an update, as well as iCloud photos beta, so it seems reasonable that they could be waiting until iOS 8.1 to add iPad-specific features.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It did. Updated.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It renders at 2208x1242 internally and scales down to 1920x1080, which has everyone speculating that they wanted to make the phone's screen have the full resolution but couldn't get enough or something like that, and that the next release will have it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm still not crazy about the lines on the back. They drew them to look like the glass parts of the 5, and I bet they're part of having NFC in a metal phone, but they just look like an afterthought, almost like a prototype or something. Maybe the official shots make them look more obvious than they are.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I jumped from a lovely LG prepaid "smart"phone with Android 2.2 to a then new iPhone 5 and that was amazing, so what you're in for is something else altogether :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Suqit posted:

Apparently the 6+ is selling out faster than than the 6.

Now I'm not sure if this means they made a lot fewer or misjudged sales or what but it's interesting.

Probably the rumored constrained availability. Honestly I wonder how late in the process the decision to offer a larger model was made, quite a few things point to the 6 plus being a little rushed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Feenix posted:

So help me understand what to expect of my iPhone SixPlus™ coming from a 5.

On day 1, things will be bigger on a bigger screen, but will non-native apps have aspect issues until updated by devs? Will there be black bars like the move from the 4 to the 5?

No, aspect ratio is the same. There will probably be a loss of quality in scaled apps on the higher resolution screen, but no one will know how bad until the reviews come out and then later when the phones are available.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Apple opened submissions for iOS 8 compatible apps a few days ago, I think. So you can probably expect most of the high profile apps on the store to be ready on release day, or within the coming weeks if they couldn't get it done.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

They will render to a canvas of 2208 × 1242 pixels, which will be scaled down to 1080p to fit in the physical pixels on the 6 Plus display. That is it. It's exactly how the retina MacBooks do effective resolutions higher than 1440x900 with the 2x scale.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

fleshweasel posted:

You are consistently the worst poster in Apple threads. I wonder what that's about.

You know how this ends dude, just ignore him if his posts annoy you.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I doubt the bump is so terrible it makes the phone difficult to use or look at. And whoever thinks they're hiding it in promotional materials should look at the iPod touch section of Apple's website. I can't find a single picture of the iPod that isn't head on or hiding the camera altogether.

Looking at the pictures here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/the-price-of-progress-2012-ipod-touch-reviewed/2/ should give an idea of how the camera will affect the look of the phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

No, but the developers might consider a version for it. The new autolayout/resizeable app size means apps are going to be a lot more fluid in what devices they run on and how they look. The big difference isn't screen size, it's aspect ratio.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

They're the same aspect ratio, so no stretching, only scaling up. You could probably see on the simulator once Xcode 6 is released.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Whenever it's plugged in. I've done it from screen off many times.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Apple Pay was stated to be coming in an update in October.

Actually, with Apple Pay, iCloud Photos, now possibly HealthKit apps, and anything they might add to new iPads, it's looking to be a massive update. Maybe it'll be iOS 8.1.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bottom Liner posted:

No, I left it on my desk for a few hours yesterday and came back
To 30% battery despite being at 90+ when I left. Finances iPhone 5 is doing the same.

How old is the battery in your phone? Have you checked eligibility for the replacement program/have you had it replaced under that program? If not it could just be your battery went to hell.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The thread is really making me consider whether Verizon's signal quality is worth their unbelievably rigid upgrade rules.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Having your pocket squeezing your phone while you sit down seems like a bad idea, I don't know. It depends on the phone and the pants I guess.

My 5 has been fine in my front pocket for two years now but I'm a fatass so

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Alright, I'm curious, anyone loaded up any apps that haven't been updated since iOS 2 or 3 on their iPhone 6? I want to see how comically bad they look (if they'll even launch.)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tuyop posted:

And this is pretty much the reason I never buy the non-S version of iPhones. Apple is an awesome second-generation product company. Same with the apple watch.

The 5 was actually cool and good. Hope this helps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mr. Fix It posted:

What about chamfer-gate -ghazi -Iran-Contra -teapot-dome Petticoat Affair?

Chamfershirtwaist was a nonissue.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bottom Liner posted:

Serious question: isn't this the old version of iCloud that's still a crap subscription?

Mobile me does not exist in any form today. iCloud replaced it completely.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The iPhone Thread: humble brag about your quads

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The iPhone Thread: What's your inseam?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yo so iPhone syncing with iTunes wirelessly on the same wifi network still works like absolute dogshit 99% of the time, right?

I remember being so stoked when they announced you wouldn't have to be connected via USB, what, 4 years ago? If the phone is plugged into power (that's still not "wireless", Apple) and on the same wifi then iTunes should detect the phone. For me it doesn't. What's even more stupid is that sometimes iTunes will detect the phone when it's not plugged in and just chillin somewhere random and it will even transfer music, but it's a total crapshoot.

poo poo makes me angry, man.

For what it's worth I have never been able to rely on a feature which relied on two devices communicating over a local network. Wi-Fi sync, PS4->PSVita remote play, AirPlay, AirPrint, and a few others all sometimes drop in the middle or just sometimes fall off the networkon occasion; hell, even file transfers are unreliable enough to make me consider a different way just to not waste the time. Sometimes I wonder why it seems internet browsing is so much more reliable than local network stuff.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Don't know how to tell you this, but that was their way of telling you to lose some weight.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Swype or Fleksy.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Both! She takes it correctly but as soon as the picture is produced its orientation is off.

When you open the camera app, do the icons rotate when you rotate the phone? Sometimes I've rotated the phone like a bus steering wheel when I'm taking a picture of something laying on a table and it doesn't rotate, and the picture comes out sideways.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

nickutz posted:

Would Apple Pay be a big enough addition to have an 8.1 release in October?

Probably not on its own, but it's likely that the Apple Pay update is also going to include Continuity to go along with the Yosemite release, and there are still rumors of new iPad features that Apple hasn't revealed yet.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

iTunes will let you back up/restore an iPhone regardless of whether it syncs with that phone or not. Just don't actually start a sync and you'll be fine.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Clocks posted:

I don't know where to post, but...

I'm on a 5s and stupidly upgraded to the newest iOS or whatever yesterday. Since then I've been loving miserable. A lot of the apps and games I have that used to work fine before are a laggy mess, everything is taking longer to load, connectivity is poor in general... and it's obviously the update, since I wasn't having any issues whatsoever before I decided to stupidly update my phone. Not to mention things like notifications 'sticking' (unless I hit the home button, I guess) and all that jazz. And from what I can tell, it's not possible to revert to older versions since Apple is no longer signing for them?

What do I do?? Wait it out? It's driving me crazy.

Your install sounds botched. Restore (first from backup, then fresh) and see if your problems persist.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Clocks posted:

I, uh, huh... I did a restore from backup and everything certainly seems to be running a lot smoother. I guess I'll see how things go from here - as long as the problems don't come back later, anyway. Thanks guys! (To be honest, it didn't cross my mind that I could technically complete an install but have it be installed improperly... I can see how plenty of random users out there might be really frustrated with this update).

I think it's easy to forget that these things are running drat near full desktop operating systems, just with tiny screens. It hasn't even been 10 years since the prevailing wisdom was "never do an upgrade install, something will always break," so every time I go through an upgrade install that works fine a part of me is impressed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Well I think it's pretty easy to see Apple's intended flow: You upgrade, you're phone is slow, you make an appointment with your local Genius Bar (TM) where they look at it, see you're automatically backing up to iCloud, start a restore right there, and when it's done they send you on your way. The problem of course is not everyone has (reliable) access to all of these services or knows that that's what they should do when they see this issue; some just tolerate it because they don't know any better.

I can see why Apple does enforce updating so strongly, because they know that you give an inch and some developers will take a mile and before long you're looking at a Windows XP scenario where no one wants to keep supporting it but they have to. The major problem is that Apple still hasn't learned despite iOSs 4, (5?), 6, 7, and now 8 having noticeable, major performance issues on the lowest supported platform. Maybe it will be different with iOS 9, because not only will the 5 be affected, but the 5C as well--that's two years of phones that could potentially chug very hard if we have a repeat of iOS 8 on the A5.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm on Verizon in Minnesota

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a human thumb tapping on a credit card... forever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Outline arrow indicates any sort of passive location checking. The same thing happens if you set up a geofence in Reminders or turn on Google Now. It basically just hooks into the periodic location check the phone already does and raises an event if it's close enough to the specified region, so there's very little extra power consumption, if that's what you're concerned about.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm interested in it, but I still don't use passbook even for Delta so I don't know if I'll actually get any use out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

So what in Health can the M8 track by itself. Just steps and stairs?

e: clarity i guess

carry on then fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2014