Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

illcendiary posted:

Not sure where else to discuss this, but apparently Apple is getting a 0.15% cut of every purchase made with Apple Pay. It's going to count on people going through the hassle of getting their cards set up, but that's an incredible amount.

And they extracted that from the banks.

https://developer.apple.com/apple-pay/Getting-Started-with-Apple-Pay.pdf

quote:

How much does it cost to accept Apple Pay?
Apple does not charge users, merchants or developers to use Apple Pay for payments. Your credit and debit transactions will continue to be handled by the payment networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

From Cult of Mac:

Hey everyone, once you have your phone out how about instead of just waving it near our (terribly high-maintenance!!) reader, you unlock it, launch our app, enter your PIN number, then take a photo of the QR code we give you!

And you can't don't have to use your credit cards, just trust us to suck funds straight from your checking account! Fraud protection? Sure... Maybe! We don't say!

Yuup. Check out the list of who's in on this. http://www.mcx.com/

Outside of your favorite big box stores, the majority of them look like merchants that either do high volumes of low dollar sales, or are otherwise really low-margin operations. In the first camp you've got places like 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, Wendys, Southwest Airlines (I assume for onboard purchases), HMSHost. Then on the latter you've got grocery stores, which operate on razor-thin margins.

From that WSJ article, they're linking against checking accounts, gift cards, or store-issued credit accounts. The whole point is to dodge paying credit card interchange fees.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

No, it had to have been sold as a Verizon phone to work on Verizon. A Verizon model is 100% unlocked, so it will work on T-Mobile (albeit only HSPA+ for the 5), but not vice-versa.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry I forgot to clarify that my A1428 iPhone is also fully unlocked (bought it this way). Now does it work with Verizon?

Unless you originally bought it as a Verizon model, no. The CDMA MEID is only put in Verizon's whitelist if you bought it as a Verizon phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fordan posted:

That shouldn't be the case, at least for the iPhone 5. It's a LTE device and thus should fall under the open access rules. Then again, so should the Nexus 7 and that was blocked last year.

Open access only applies to LTE. They don't have to let you onto their CDMA network, meaning zero voice service and 3G.

At any rate, an A1428 iPhone 5 can't see LTE band 13, which is the only band of any of them that's subject to the open access. Of Verizon bands, it only pulls in band 4, which is what they use for AWS LTE "XLTE."

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 14, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Or $260 vs $600, if you're clumsy enough to put your phone in the toilet twice in two years.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A new battery is $79 anyway, so even if they don't do it for free as hardware failure you don't have to intentionally damage your device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is the root cause of the 5/5s loose screen problem usually a swelled-up battery?

Got a 5s with crap battery life, and then I notice the screen's popped out in the top left corner. Just wondering if this is something the genius bar will try to give me pushback on ('you probably dropped it'), or if they'll say "oh poo poo that'll explode in your hand or burn your house down, so let's just swap you right away."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It's brilliant price positioning, really. What's funny is there were all the rumors of them increasing the price of the iPhones this year, and then the collective sigh of relief that it didn't happen.

Except, of course, it totally did. The 16GB model makes even less sense now than it did a year ago, doubly so considering now $100 more gets you 64GB. Meanwhile going to 64GB from 32GB probably didn't hit their margin much at all given the forward march of technology.

So they still have a 16GB model for the super price sensitive, but for everyone else, they've made sure you'll spend that extra C-note.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, if they want to fix the battery and janky screen while I wait, that's fine too, whatever. A cross-ship seems like a pain in the rear end, and the sooner that I get a swelled-up LiIon battery out of my possession the better.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I definitely should have considered that when I gave my mother a 16gb 5s last Christmas, that it would have been completely insufficient space for the 1080p grandma brag videos she constantly took of my son.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Turned out I didn't have a bulging battery, he opened up the phone and said some piece of plastic had fallen out of place. He just fixed that, reseated the screen, and sent me on my way. Sounds fair to me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I could have sworn they mentioned something about Starwood hotels using the NFC for room keys in the future during the launch keynote.

So maybe it's just the software to deal with NFC is not stable on their end and they're restricting it to trusted partners for the time being.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This was from the period where Motorola had essentially forgotten (and had altogether given up on learning, too) how to make any phone that wasn't a RAZR.

And yes it had micro USB and mini HDMI. Mini HDMI was for some reason the hip thing to put on Android phones in 2010.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

webmeister posted:

Personally I don't even take my iPhones out of the box. I find that resale values a year later are much higher when they're still boxed and shrink-wrapped.

My 401k is invested entirely in mint condition 2007 model iPhones

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

I'm highly anticipating the inevitable "thumb length to optimal iPhone 6 screen size" comparison article. Until then it's going to be difficult to know which to get for some (in this country we only have fake apple stores that won't have hands-on demo units out for ages). Is this the best we have?

WSJ updated this with the new iPhones:

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/smartphone-ergonomics/?standalone=1

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Motorola somehow managed to make theirs work in the new Moto X while getting rid of the secondary low power processor.

IIRC it's that the main applications processor in the 2013 Moto X (the S4 Pro) didn't support hotword detection, so Motorola added the sidecar CPU. The new Moto X uses a Snapdragon 801, and in that series Qualcomm built-in low power hotword detection, so no need for the secondary unit just for that purpose.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a feature Apple's holding out on for the A9/6s next year.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sudo rm -rf posted:

So, noticed that the top-right corner of the screen on my 5s is starting to bulge out. That's probably a battery issue, right?

Could be. Had the same problem, and when I took mine in on Monday I was told the battery was fine and what was really going on was there was a piece of plastic on the inside that had fallen out of place.

They just popped open the phone, fixed that, and reseated the screen.

On the outside chance it's an inflated battery I'd say get it to a Genius Bar stat.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sudo rm -rf posted:

Was it just an in-warranty fix for you? I don't have Applecare+, unfortunately.

I bought the phone first week of October so it was still under primary warranty. They handled it as a normal warranty fix and didn't zap me for one of my two accidental damage strikes. I guess he had to open the phone up anyway to confirm whether the battery was hosed up, so even if I had dropped it or something and popped that out, it wasn't any extra effort to just reseat everything and close the phone back up.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Do you wrap those cables up at weird right angles or something? I've had Apple cables where the outer plastic has worn and worked its way out of the little strain relief boot, but not that far up the cord.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

rear end Catchcum posted:

I had it set up but am getting a new phone...will it still work? How would i know?

It won't work. If you're getting a new physical phone, then the Gmail sync through Exchange will not work. The phone reports a device ID to the server, and so they'll accept IDs they've seen before the cutoff date but reject new ones.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fordan posted:

Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.

I believe they only ship those with carrier-free models. Just use a paper clip.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Found the VoLTE option:

Surprised it's not on by default.

edit: Let's see if it even works!

Did it actually switch over? I had the check mark stay on data while voice and data had a spinner, and nothing happened for like ten minutes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep it switched over after ~30 seconds.

Huh. I went back to that screen later and got a pop up saying it wasn't compatible with my account, and I need to call Verizon.

I did a little more looking, and it might be because I am paying the extra couple bucks for caller ID with names. Their FAQ says it's not compatible with VoLTE. I guess I have to decide which feature I care more about.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

arbybaconator posted:

I'm hearing a lot of noise about iphone 6+ (I think?) apps not looking very good when unoptimized. I haven't seen any visual evidence yet. Has anyone witness this? Care to post a photo or screenshot or whatever?

It happens on the 6, too. Basically just imagine an iPhone 5 size image that's been scaled up to the bigger screen. Things are just a little blurrier, it's still a perfectly cromulent user experience and better than the way they letterboxed older apps on the iPhone 5. It's going to be like when the Retina display first shipped and there was a month or so while everyone got their updates in.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm surprised, I thought AppleCare+ phone orders required a remote diagnostic, but they just took my money and said congratulations you're covered. 5 minutes on hold, 2 minutes conducting the business at hand. Nice.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Funny how Apple Androidized the Iphone and I'm actually considering one for the first time since 2007.

I'm guessing Google Now/Gmail/Maps/Contacts etc. integration still isn't good on the Iphone (you guys still don't have anything like "intents" on Android, right?)

I guess that would prevent me from switching still, unless Apple has done a real good job replacing those Google services.

There's a Google Now app and Gmail app on the store that are quite nice. Google contact and calendar sync is built into iOS, using CalDAV.

There is at least some "share intent" functionality now in iOS 8 that will be a big thing once apps get updated for iOS 8.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone have a problem where trying to download from the App Store just turns the buy/download button into an infinitely spinning activity indicator and nothing more?

Tried signing in and out of the App Store, rebooting, etc with no results.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone have a problem where trying to download from the App Store just turns the buy/download button into an infinitely spinning activity indicator and nothing more?

Tried signing in and out of the App Store, rebooting, etc with no results.

Turned out "Reset All Settings" solved this, at the annoying expense of resetting all my settings.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure that the GSM and CDMA versions are one and the same.

The Verizon 5s and 6 are the same as the GSM for AT&T and T-Mobile. The Sprint one is a special snowflake model that's otherwise for SoftBank in Japan.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Meh, I'll bet either when the next refresh comes around, or the one after that, they'll have the iPhone 7, the iPhone 7 Plus, and the iPhone 7 Mini, which is the same size as the 5s.

I'm sure there's a market for it. When my wife saw the iPhone 6 she said "I don't want a phone that big; the main reason I kept buying iPhones over Android was because they were smaller."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

heldicus posted:

Seeing tiny scratches on the screen after 3 days. It's always by itself in my pocket.

Carried my RAZR maxx that way for three years and it's flawless.

If I get Apple care and the screen gets scratched to hell will they replace it?

It's most likely the oleophobic coating, not the glass. It will wear off as you use the phone anyway.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chemmy posted:

Doesn't it just put the appropriate pass on the lock screen?

I had my boarding passes on the lock screen while flying yesterday. Didn't need to unlock just swipe right and the pass showed.

Yeah, if you're near a place where you could use the pass, it just shows up as a lock screen notification. Swiping it will immediately display the pass on-screen, without having to unlock. For example, if you're at the airport, it'll show you your boarding pass automatically.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

This would be the case for a 5, yeah? I'm asking because I had a loaner 4S from a friend and even after taking out the SIM, it still showed Verizon in the status bar and had service (didn't test calling, took out the SIM so I couldn't connect to data).

For a 5 or newer, yes. For a 4S you need to deal with the carrier an have them to move the phone line to a different device.

The SIM in a CDMA 4S is just for international GSM roaming, and doesn't mean anything at all when you're in the US.

Even if the service has been taken off on the carrier end, the phone may well still show Verizon and signal bars in the status bar. But if you try making a call, you should get a recording saying that phone doesn't have service on it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

iOS 8.0.1 is out, most notably fixing whatever HealthKit issues there were.

Edit: don't update if you like having cell service or working Touch ID.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 24, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yep, a coworker just updated to 8.0.1 on his Plus and lost Touch ID and cell service.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also curious if it is a plus or not plus issue.

Coworker had it happen to his plus. I had downloaded the file to my phone and had my finger over the install button on my 6 when he shouted across the room to everyone not to update.

(Edit: looks like from the thread it is not related to being a plus)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And the Genius Bar.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pzy posted:

Actual Steve thing:

That was just to train you for the future free of optical drives, and offered negative reinforcement in the form of powering down and evaporating your work if you tried to hold onto the past and insert or eject a CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I would prefer not to use iTunes but at least on paper it seemed like the most efficient way of getting 40GB of music onto my phone. I was wrong.

I aborted the sync in the very beginning because I forgot to turn on the setting that has it transcode down to 128Kbps AAC. Stopping the sync got the phone into a weird state where no apps would install from the store. The install button would turn into a spinning circle, but it'd never start downloading or turn into the progress indicator with the stop button like you'd expect. If you tried syncing through iTunes, would stay perpetually on "waiting for changes to be applied." As in, I let it sit that way overnight with no change.

I tried signing in and out of the app store, rebooting both the computer and the phone multiple times, etc. No dice. An "erase settings" didn't help. I caved and wiped it, and that solved it.

Luckily it happened on day 2 of owning the phone and I didn't really lose anything to speak of.

Once I did get it going, it did seem to sit for a while on "preparing to update" before it pushed a few thousand songs.