Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quote:

Addresses an issue where some wireless chargers may charge more slowly than expected

Is this them backing out the change in iOS 13 where some third party chargers were locked to 5W?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

- Adds a setting to control the use of location services by the U1 Ultra Wideband chip

Does anything actually use this yet, for this switch to actually have any real effect?

My Tile trackers are dying and I have been holding out for the alleged Apple version.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone have the "wifi calling on other devices" not stick, and was able to solve it? I can set it, and I get the Verizon webview prompt warning me about 911 location, but then when I back out of the wifi calling screen and come back in, the setting is back to off and it didn't actually affect my other devices.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, Verizon tech support is (866) 892-7957 . At least it was, try that first and if that doesn’t work just dial 611 from your cell.

I depend on WiFi calling at my house, it should just prompt you to turn on WiFi calling; you input your address, save, and then it starts working. Sometimes you have to re check it once to make sure it’s on.

Make sure VOLTE is set to on.

Once it works on the phone, it’ll work on other devices like iPad and Mac when nearby. You would check the “calls on other devices” to make sure setting.

Also, to check: consumer or business account ? Shouldn’t really matter either way, but good to check. I assumed consumer.

From what you described , there’s likely a provisioning issue somewhere with your WiFi calling, so care May have to manually add the code.

Reprovisioning the wifi calling didn't work, or at least it didn't cause the "calls on other devices" setting to actually do anything. Wifi calling on the device itself was always good this whole time.

I found someone on the Apple support forum saying they had this same problem, and ultimately a factory reset (without applying a backup) fixed it for them. I had nothing else to do yesterday morning so I thought I'd just take a gamble on a reset, and sure enough that did it.

Now that Messages can encrypt and sync to iCloud it's a lot less disruptive to do a factory reset.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Skeezy posted:

The only thing right now keeping me on AM is that it streams to the watch. If Spotify added that I might move over again.

This plus it's free on my Verizon plan. I still pay for Spotify because of the better Sonos integration, but the inability to stream in standalone mode on a cellular watch is a bummer.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Buff Hardback posted:

As in the "oops I switched back to Android, Apple still thinks I have an iPhone now I need to go borrow an iPhone to turn it off and have everyone delete all their text chains with me"

They've made it a little better. If you remove your SIM, starting from iOS 12 it will automatically deregister your number from iMessage, or you can use their web portal to turn it off.

Once you deregister, 1:1 messages fall back to text okay, it seems. But afaik group messages are still a clusterfuck if one person no longer has iMessage.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This year is my first go on Team Saddle Brown, how long does it take to build up a patina? I'm two months one month in and mine is still a nice ugly shade of baby poop light brown, except for around the bottom edges.

Although I guess given 2020 and the need to wash your hands aggressively, not surprised if it will never turn.

edit: time is a smear, it hasn't been 2 months

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 16, 2020

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

With AppleTV+ keeping getting the free trial extended, it is really making the lowest level Apple One bundle not much of a benefit. Apple Music + Apple Arcade + Apple TV+ 50 GB iCloud is $10 + $5 + $0 + $1 = $16 and the bundle is $15.

I'm on the $30 bundle and got an email today from Apple that said they're crediting back the $4.99 price of Apple TV+ to my account while it's otherwise free.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

My reading is that this only works for unlocking the phone. If you wanna open Robinhood to check out how much money you’re losing you’ll still need your actual face to unlock the app or the passcode.

Yup that's exactly how it works. It'll unlock the phone while you're wearing the mask, but any other place you'd use Face ID will either error out or try to fall back to passcode like before.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

I have Apple Music on an annual plan paid until October, and a free trial of Apple TV+ until July. If I sign up for Apple One to also get Apple Arcade and the extra iCloud storage for the same price, what happens to my two existing subscriptions? Will I be double-charged for them?

They give you a prorated refund for the time left on existing annual subscriptions.

I had an annual paid up Apple Arcade plan. Once the Apple One 30 day free trial had concluded and they started billing me, they also processed a refund for the outstanding annual Arcade sub I had.

They also sent an email saying they're giving a $5 monthly credit for AppleTV+ while it's free for everyone, so you won't pay for that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Laserface posted:

edit: wireless carplay adapters/dongles are a scam. They work, but the GPS antenna is killing your battery life.

wireless carplay head units have a GPS antenna and they feed the data back to the phone to manage the routing.

To say "they work" is also a real stretch, I tried one of the dongles and I clearly got reeled in by a bunch of fake reviews.

It took a tediously long time for CarPlay to get up and running, because my car had to sync to the dongle and then for the dongle to sync to the phone. The steering wheel controls were laggy. It would also just randomly crash out and freeze the head unit, to where getting it un-wedged meant cycling the ignition on the car.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

In my experience that W1 also insures nearly total immunity from interference. Used to have a pair of TaoTronics that I loved, but every time I walked through a busy commuter terminal I'd experience fuzzy reception, dropouts, and distortion while listening. When I switched to a Powerbeats Pro which also has the W1 chip, interference pretty much became a thing of the past. It still happens occasionally but it's pretty infrequent and never when I'm in a moderately 'quiet' situation.

That's a good point. It's probably one of the most extreme examples of Bluetooth noise you can come up with but I could definitely tell the difference walking through the Times Square/42 subway station with QC35s and with AirPods.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you explain that a little more? Do you mean that 3rd party cases won't work with the Magsafe charger? It requires the magnets that are on the Apple cases? The product descriptions (for whatever that's worth) for some generic cases indicate they're MagSafe compatible.

I'd bought a Spigen "MagSafe" case. It's not officially MFI/MagSafe branded, but it's got a magnetic ring in the right place. Accessories didn't stay put as well as they did on the bare phone or the Apple silicone or leather cases.

The official MFI policy doc to get the MagSafe brand has specs for things like minimum pulling force required to pop off an attached accessory.

Also the phone would never charge right on a Qi pad with the Spigen case on it. Maybe something about their magnets getting in the way of negotiating with the charging pad? I don't know, but it was frustrating because I otherwise liked the feel of the case more.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sri.Theo posted:

Which is fine unless you ever want to use a non-Apple device.

Hell froze over about two months ago and they released a Chrome extension for iCloud Keychain:

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/use-icloud-passwords-on-your-windows-computer-mmfeee20145e/icloud

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Buff Hardback posted:

I'm a bit hesitant to say exactly how secure 1Password is compared to iCloud Keychain specifically, but Keychain does seem to offer the ability to recover your passwords if you lose all your devices (which would imply that Apple can decrypt your passwords).

The iOS security white paper explains how they can't directly decrypt your passwords.

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1902/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

Apple creates escrow keys for your iCloud Keychain, protected by your device passcode. The verification and key release happens in hardware modules with no ability for Apple to load a backdoored firmware that could otherwise exfiltrate keys. To prevent brute force attacks, after 10 incorrect attempts it destroys the keys forever.

The iOS security doc is a really interesting read and they update every year, a few months after every iOS release.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was thinking Airtags too. Those things have been 'coming any day' for months. They did just open up the 'Find My' API to third-party devs so it seems their imminent.

Considering there's a third party tag announced, kind of been wondering if the AirTags were just a reference implementation for third party Find My integration and it's not actually going to be something they sell.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I was hoping for AirTags to launch for the last 8 months so I could finally quit losing my car keys but then I bought a car that lets me use my iPhone as a key, so checkmate Tim

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Curious if anyone here has to rely on WiFi calling and what their experience has been? I just moved into an apartment that is apparently a faraday cage and I get between 0 and 1 bar here, so for the first time I'm nearly 100% reliant on WiFi calling. When it's connected (I see XM Wi-Fi as my carrier) it works pretty well and I don't seem to have many issues with the ultra weak cell connection competing with it. The problem is that it tends to stop working if I leave my network and rejoin - my carrier will show as Xfinity Mobile/No Service. Usually, some combination of toggling WiFi calling in settings, toggling airplane mode, and rebooting the phone will restore it. Or for example just now I turned off WiFi in control center, turned it back on, and WiFi didn't come back until 5 minutes later. Basically I'm wondering if anyone has insight into how this poo poo works and if there are some settings on my network or something I can mess with so that It Just Works

Have you tried doing a network settings reset yet? This will reset all your cellular/wifi settings to Just Out Of The Box, but it often will help situations like this where clearly the network stack is in a weird state.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Are there any good third party airtag loops/keychains yet? The stuff on Amazon right now looks awful sketch.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So I created a login with the 'sign in with apple' feature inside an app on my iPhone. I've been able to sign in repeatedly using the 'sign in with apple' button in this app but now I've deleted the app is there anyway to get this login so I can sign in on another iOS device that's not mine? I checked my apple password manager and its not there. Not in keychain either. I'm pretty sure I also used the 'hide my email' feature. Does apple have a way to retrieve these logins?

e: oh it seems like there is no password and thus I cannot sign into these apps/websites on devices that I'm also not signed into Apple with. Hmm bummer.

Yeah, you are essentially at the mercy of the app as to whether it provides a means of setting a real password on the account or not. Some apps really put a lot of effort into implementing Sign In With Apple, while others did the bare-rear end minimum necessary to fulfill the requirement to pass app review.

If you go to Settings > Apple ID > Password & Security you can see the app there and what the “fake” email address is.

Depending on the app/website, sometimes you can force a password reset using that email and use that to set a password when one wasn’t assigned in the first place.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

After experiencing 85 hours of no power this past week due to a storm, I'm thinking of getting the official MagSafe Battery Pack. Not sure if anyone else will be doing so so I'll do a trip report if anyone is interested?

For anyone else thinking of buying this, mine came from FedEx today.

The little vertical magnet below the ring does not hold it in place very well, at all. It doesn't take much of a nudge to knock it off that magnet and then it wants to spin about the ring. Doesn't matter if you're using an official case or no case at all, it just wobbles all over the place.

Between how thick it is and how easily it will slip off the magnet, I'm sending it back.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is private relay active now? How does it compare to just having NordVPN on permanently?

Unlike a VPN, private relay only works in Safari, not any apps. Try going to whatismyip.com from Safari and Chrome/Firefox and see the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

False Toaster posted:

Is it me or is the Move to iOS app for Android pretty lovely? After troubleshooting for half a day I get past the preparation screen and it fails halfway through. :( This is coming from an S21.

Yes, it's terrible.

Last fall I had a friend who was going from a Pixel 2 to iPhone 11, asked me for help because he couldn't get the transfer app to work. Turns out the app just does not work with Pixel 2 and the phones can't "see" one another.

He had message threads with his dead parents on there he didn't want to lose. In order to get the transfer to happen it took borrowing another Android phone, using some Android SMS backup app to transfer and restore the messages. Finally then we tried "Move to iOS" on that phone and crossed our fingers. Luckily it worked.