Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

The flying squirrel suits are loving stupid.

...kinda, yeah. Put on your garishly colored yellow monk robes already :mad:

Nonetheless, glad to see it's back. While the episode was rather uneventful, I'm definitely hooked - I can't wait to see what kind of clusterfuck this will turn into. There's no chance Kuvora didn't hire those bandits herself, they seemed far too professional; makes me wonder if the twinblade dude will show up again... I mean, at this point it's just a matter of time before we get someone metalbending a sword to swordfight at a distance, right? Hell, given Combustion Lady's death last season, why not an entire suit of armor? It would be pretty sweet to have someone who could basically emulate Silver Chariot from JJBA...

I'm also surprised how much I actually care for Bolin and Opal. He just looks so sad and confused at the end! Here's hope they tune it down a little this time, given how we've got a much more obvious comic relief nearby. Still, they handled their relationship really well in S3, looking forward to the inevitable drama. "Don't believe everything she says", indeed.

And, finally: the underground earthbending at the end. Guess it was inevitable that Korra got punked, seeing how she's still depressed with zero fighting spirit and all. I like how grounded the battles feel, and that characters actually get hurt even when winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sato posted:

Then again, I still think the best villain in Korra (other than the Red Lotus) is Varrick. That poo poo-eating smirk in Asami's office was one of the few things Studio Pierrot actually did right.

This.

Seriously, I was never that bothered by the beginning of Season 2. Korra was frustratingly boneheaded, Season 1 seemed to have vanished from the planet, and the politics kinda fizzled. Not very riveting stuff. BUT! Bolin's movie career was hilarious to me (especially the movies, which culminated in the BEST FIGHT SCENE OF ALL OF AVATAR, YES I STILL THINK THAT), Mako showed what he was always meant to be, the no-nonsense supercop (romance plots aside), we got some insight into the spirit world... and Varrick. Hell, I think that this guy alone redeems the entire Republic City subplot. I love how he always is this super-goofy comic relief, and when it's obvious he's a villain, he keeps on being goofy. He really is an utterly self-serving lovable rear end in a top hat, and - if you ask me - perfect for Bolin's and Mako's arc. Of course he makes a daring escape in the end, who didn't want to see him do that?

Speaking of which - it seems pretty clear that the magnetic suit Varrick demonstrated in S3 is coming back... I wonder if that's how Kuvira will ultimately take down other metalbenders, if/when she overthrows the Metal Clan or whatevs. I wouldn't be surprised if some other threat takes center at some point, though. Red Lotus has gotta play part somehow...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Great second episode! I got spoiled about Toph's appearance, but, hell, we all knew that since the trailer anyway. It was really heartbreaking to see Korra get smacked around; I'm glad they actually bothered to deal with depression/trauma this way, this should make the coming plot that much more interesting. It was spot-on how everybody kept telling her to get better, take her time etc. when it's absolutely clear Korra has no idea how to do that, and it's frustrating to no end. The "Are you sure she's the Avatar" was just mean. :( I'm not sure what Toph can even do to help out Korra, but I'm sure she has some wisdom to impart - or at least something to reveal about her daughters.

I've gotta say: once again, I have absolutely no idea where this is going, and that is great. Bolin will definitely have his own plot, Asami probably will if her father really shows up again, and I'm still not convinced that Kuvira is the "final" villain (SUYIN IS EVIL I'M TELLING YOU WHY WILL NOBODY HEED MY WARNING). I can't imagine they're gonna leave Mako hanging without some closure, and I'm sure Tenzin will still get to job play a role. This whole thing is a clusterfuck and it'll be great. Also, Dorky Policeman Mako is starting to rival Tenzin as my favorite character. I'd never thought I'd say that given the jerk Mako we got in S1, but here we are. That letter. :allears:

Concerning future plot: I'm sure Kuvira will turn out to be a power-hungry villain, and that she hired at least some bandits for her great unification goal, but she doesn't strike me as villain material on the scale of Amon, Unalaq or Zaheer: she doesn't seem larger than life, and compared to these three, her goals are outright down to earth. The latter is not why I don't consider her final supervillain material, mind you. She also doesn't have a personal enmity with the Avatar: the Avatar is, if she should become an enemy for real, an obstacle, not an ideological opposite (so far, at least). We still have to see, but that's my first impression. I have a feeling we'll have a twist or two somewhere later on (IT'S SUYIN SHE'S RED LOTUS SHE HEALED KORRA ONLY BECAUSE SHE HAS HER OWN GOALS AND DITCHED THE RED LOTUS THERE WILL BE AN EPIC BEIFONG SHOWDOWN I'M TELLING YOU).

Uuuuughhhhh why do I have to wait a week

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp - very nice episode, overall! Meelo was a bit grating (his VA really isn't that great...), but he had some funny lines, and I like how he is pretty much an unrepentant jackass. Even got a chuckle out of the glorious return of fartbending. Still, yeah, low point of the episode. He was basically a collection of one-liners that turned annoying the longer it went on; hopefully he either has a decent arc later on and some goddamn insight, or he never shows up again... Apparently I'm easier to entertain, though - he didn't ruin the episode or anything, and we had better scenes (like the two guards) to save the episode! :haw:

I did like pretty much anything else, though. Ikki was really entertaining - especially with those two soldiers. I hope they enjoy their snacks. While Korra's recovery did come rather quick, I don't mind - I don't think the whole point of it needed more time than this. Who knows, it might lead in to some even more interesting scenes - others said so earlier: this might be the reason Korra actually tries talking to earlier villains. Man, I hope she seeks out Zaheer.

Oh, and Toph, oh course. Also thought she'd turn out to actually be dead, but oh well. Toph stories, best stories.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Seriously, the kids weren't that bad. I found that one dumb guard obsessed with macaroons to be more obnoxious than Meelo.

No. He was great. You're wrong and evil. :mad:

theblackw0lf posted:

I don't mind them fixing Korra so quick. I just wish the cause of her being fixed made more sense. Maybe I'm just dim but I don't see what happened to make her all better now.

I think the point was that Korra was still hanging on to her past battles, because they hurt her deeply (and personally). Because she couldn't overcome the pain and loss from those fights, she also couldn't purge the poison from her body. It's basically a metaphor becoming real. And since this is Avatar, the well-being of the body is directly linked to spirituality and whatnot - so obviously Korra couldn't become better until she overcame her past...

Or something. Short version: Korra found out why she couldn't let go of her trauma (doubt, balance, they had a point etc.), so she got the resolve to fix the metaphor poison. Wasn't that clear, really, but I think that's the message...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's gonna be legendary.

Y'know, just gonna throw this out there, but I think you make pretty good posts. Keep doin' that.

So, who else hopes for another giant collaborative airbending effort to take down this season's big bad, only this time with Meelo and fartbending?

Nobody?

I'm sorry

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This episode had a lot of Varrick, and a sweet as hell fight scene. Bolin kicked rear end, and so did the awesome mechs (though the CGI seemed dodgy at times). That reminded me, though, that it's been AGES since we saw Korra thoroughly kicking rear end... Not that there isn't good reason, given how only another Avatar was ever truly able to match her, but I'm just waiting for an utter trouncing Kyoshi-style! Especially after all that humiliation.

Seriously. Before this season is over, I want a magnificient beatdown, delivered by Korra, to whoever deserves it most. (I still don't trust you, Suyin!!!)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I just hope Korra does not just bust down the door, going "YO SUYIN LET ME STOP YOU FROM SUCCEEDING". My - hopeful - guess is that Suyin's assassination attempt goes wrong, chaos breaks out and Korra forces everyone back into a stalemate, perhaps even saving Suyin from total annihilation.

What I'm saying is: I hope we actually see some upsides of Korra's new approach, instead of delaying the inevitable. I don't want the show viewers to walk away with the impression that we could've saved several episodes if Korra would just have demolished everyone right at the start. Basically, Suyin's assassination can only worsen the entire situation, even without interference, so that there is a POINT to Korra's approach. Everything else would feel kinda frustrating.

...of course, I hope for a mixture of that and gratitous magical kungfu.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Isn't there a shot in the Book 4 trailer of Su Yin and the twins in manacles? It's pretty much guaranteed that Su's assassination attempt will fail, Kuvira will use it as a reason to double down on her rhetoric, and Korra will be forced to step in to save Su Yin and/or Zaofu. Kuvira has been built up as way to adept and ahead of everyone else to be taken out by an assassination attempt, and she was raised by Su, so she knows how Su would react better than anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if it lead Kuvira deploying her spirit vine weapon against Korra and jumpstarting the main Book 4 plotline of "the Avatar vs Fascist dictator with terribly dangerous technology".

Yeah, I guess we all expected Suyin to fail (...I'm not giving up on my theory that Suyin is a villain, dammit). I just hope it's not because Korra prevents her from succeeding. We all know there won't be a diplomatic solution with Kuvira, so it would be immensely frustrating to see Korra stall the resolution. It might make perfectly sense when it happens, but when a character has a major breakthrough in their philosophy, you kind of don't want them to be a roadblock to everybody else. I, at least, am already tired of Korra more or less being told off because of her new philosophy.

I want to see that not activating Avatar state and wrecking Kuvira and her army was the right solution. You know, some kind of payoff for Korra trying to understand her enemy. When even the show itself is incredulous their won't be any immediate beatdowns (one of the few times Meelo really is the viewer's voice), I'm confident that's just what will happen. Suyin will hopefully screw up all on her own...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

uncleKitchener posted:

Season 2 had a lot of things happen and had some of the best fight scenes. Problem was mostly with early season characterization. Other than that, it really wasn't that bad.

Agreed! Seriously, if it weren't for the thread, I would have NO IDEA the second season has a terrible reputation. Maybe it's just because I'm used to a much lower standard of animation, but I only noticed the lower quality once or twice. I was never annoyed at Bolin, because his movie carreer was hilarious and Varrick is the gift that keeps on giving. Hell, I even liked the two creepy twins - they've got some of the best lines, and they're so creepily awkward, it's great. And, yes, the fight scenes! We've got some strong contenders, but I still think that Bolin SAVING THE PRESIDENT is the fight scene with the best coreography, the best scenery, the best jokes (!) and a serious amount of being badass. Another extremely well-done fight scene is Unalaq vs. Korra's dad - there is a good reason why he comes across as an utter badass, even though he's lost every single fight he's been in so far... It's like an angry ice hockey player could suddenly fly, it's great. Not to mention the seriously great additions to Avatar backstories, including the epic Kaiju showdown with dubstep beams. I don't think anyone's gonna argue that the two Wan episodes weren't peak Avatar. Besides my entirely unreasonable love of Bolin's stupid movie plot, there's also Tenzin's arc, which has a really nice and fitting conclusion, especially with the sibling stories at the start.
Also, a little-known favorite of mine: a short fight scene between Mako, Asami on driving duty (hurrrr) and the Triads on motor boats. Not that terribly important, not the greatest quality, but somewhat stylish.

The actual problems I see didn't bother me that much. Korra's and Mako's romance plot got kinda boring (and, wow, amnesia, that was kinda embarrassing to watch), and the plot didn't really pick up. And Lin was being especially frustrating. And, yes, Unalaq just wasn't that great of a villain... He should've spouted a little more philosophy, maybe interact more with the spirits (we got some insight into that with the library owl, but other than that, not much!). Also, I wish there would've been a little more explanation for Jinora's spirit thingie at the end; it's not even that unreasonable (many posters easily came up with the plausible theory of Raava's teapot)...

I maintain that the worst Avatar episodes have been the last one of S1, plus the first four or five of S2. I enjoyed everything else. Hell, I feel these past few seasons have been a lot more consistently entertaining than most of the original Avatar series. :colbert:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh god. I knew it was coming, but that was still hard to watch. Please stop losing, Korra, I can't take this anymore :smith:

On the other hand, Kuvira's fighting style is slick as hell. It's surprisingly low-key for this show - just a little disruption here and there and, oh, flying razor-sharp manacles. And she's probably the most confident AND smuggest villain to date. Can't wait to see more.

...Korra's gotta win at some point, right?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Caros posted:

Mark my words, Korra is going to loving wreck Kuvira towards the end of the series. She's going to have a bunch more episodes coming to terms with all of her various inner problems/dealing with lackies etc. But when it comes down to the next battle between those two its going to be Aang Vs Ozai all over again, but in 1080p.

drat, I hope we get some lackeys to deal with. I don't know how I would deal with six more episodes of sad Korra. Com'on, just... give me a facestomping. Season 1 had Korra lose all the time too, but at least we had the Lieutenant for everybody to beat up!

It's actually quite nice to have that kind of arc - gives more meaning to it than just spiriting the poison away and be done with it -, so you'll all probably hear me singing praises once we have a conclusion. I'm just so incredibly impatient. I need to know the magnitude of asskicking that will ensue

Curse you, Avatar, for depicting depression and trauma too convincingly :smith:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Aside from getting our hopes up again that this show is gonna have a nice ending - don't you DARE screw this one up, Avatar production crew, you don't give us such a smug fucker of a villain for nothing -, I'm honestly stumped what's gonna happen next.

I mean, technically, Kuvira's big mission is done now. What's next? Team Avatar going back in to bail out everyone / stop injustice / etc.? Kuvira's gonna invade some neighbour countries because of course she is? And the Red Lotus is going to come back in some way, I suppose... Not to mention Mako still needs something to do for the season. Can't believe we're almost halfway through.

Also, I don't think Lin is going to stay silent on this.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

PaulDirac posted:

not just you, in this episode it wasnt that bad but still noticeable. In earlier episodes this season it was very obvious and painful to watch.

I had the same impression, actually. I guess it's justified with Korra; and I noticed quite a difference in the other big action scene we had so far, Bolin's escape attempt: everything was much smoother, and it looked less like flailing about.
But except for that, some parts really do look a little bad, like the giant boulder she levitated during Avatar state. We didn't really have any really "big" bending in the show so far, so I hope that will improve once people actually start fighting... I'd hate for all action sequences to look like Korra's sluggish fight, but Bolin's scene fortunately indicates otherwise.

Other than that, superb animation for Kuvira. She didn't do anything flashy - just rapidly flying sheet metal and a few rocks -, but all the dodging and those rapid arm movements looked sweeeeet. I've said it already: she has an incredibly cool fighting style. Nothing flashy, for sure, but really impressive. I wanted to go through some parts frame by frame just to see what exactly she just did! When she's finally fighting on par with someone, it should be magnificent. In fact, I hope we get a fight like that, and a curbstomping.

Nonetheless, the magical kung-fu enthusiast in me hungers for ridiculously flashy battles, like the S3 and S2 finale, most of what Bolin does or, well, pretty much every single fight with the villains in S3. Hell, I still think the biggest failing of S1 is giving us a villain who DIDN'T allow flashy OR interesting battles at all; I would've defended the finale, even, if we had a proper beatdown between Korra and Amon! But bloodbending kinda doesn't allow that, which is BAD, so it sucked.
Oh well. Next time, I better see special effects flying loving everywhere :colbert:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

blurry! posted:

The writers make other people fight creatively, but they never give korra any interesting moves, especially when they go to lengths explaining how amazing she is at fighting.

True, but I think that might mostly be a S4 thing. We got to see some pretty crazy things during the last three seasons! Things like the fight on top of the Probending arena, the fight vs. Amon's brother (always forgetting those Tribe names) before bloodbending, Korrazilla (besides EVIL BEAM vs. GOOD BEAM it had some pretty sweet martial arts too), the fight vs. Zaheer when shackled and then unshackled... I think it comes across well that she's just a powerhouse, even when she loses.

If anything, this latest stretch of episodes was too much on the nose about how much Korra sucks right now. Really, it's just uninspired element tossing, and the occasional element tossing WHILE JUMPING (oh no that got you slapped). It's frustrating. Never had that impression during earlier seasons. But, well, it's not like there isn't a drat good explanation for that. It's just... well... hard to watch.

I'm still kind of surprised that we only got, what, three proper battles so far? The midair battle in ep01, Bolin's escape attempt, and now Korra vs. Kuvira. (I'm not counting the short attack on the train, that was obvious show-off for the villain...) I'm seriously getting antsy for more action. This season feels already much too short...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Counterpoint: Hiroshi Sato vs. Tenzin.

What was bad about Bolin's escape attempt? I didn't notice much flailing on his part, all his moves felt controlled and purposeful.

Nah, what I meant to say was that Bolin's escape looked notably BETTER than everything on Korra's part so far. That's why it stood out like that - in difference to Korra's scene. Hell, first proper battle of the season, if you will...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sometimes even something justified within the writing can still be really lovely.

Korra has barely ever actually won a fight within the show, and that's at least partially due to her being written out of most of them. They've never actually shown her decisively winning against much more than cannon fodder, at least partially due to writing it so she only fights the villain at the very end, and now that they actually have her fighting someone 1 on 1 that's not a random mook they let her get her rear end kicked.

Granted, it's partially caused by earlier bad writing more than what's happening now, but it makes it hilarious to have all these characters putting Korra up on a pedestal and worrying about how far she's fallen when she was never really all that high up in the first place.

True! Which is why I hope we actually get some mooks to dispatch for now. Y'know, not just boss fights for Mako & Bolin, but some opponents for Korra as well. Hey, they've nerfed Avatar mode now, so she could have an actual challenge... This reminds me strongly of Season 1, where everybody was very unhappy how the entire cast kept losing at every turn.

Yeah, this is frustrating. :(

I wish she was at least good at fighting... I was looking forward to some fighting

My hunger for magical kung-fu remains

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

blurry! posted:

If she really is so good, Korra on her worst day should give every other fighter a run for their money. Kuvira should have taken more hits, no doubt.

That's why I hope for a villain-of-the-week episode so badly. She's down, but she's still Korra! Give us some lackey to beat up! The first series was of course mostly build on this format, but with Korra, the stand-alone episodes have consistently been some of the best - just remember the episode of S3 that just had the new Air Nation doing stuff. Just, like... suddenly have the cast discover the bandits who stole from the airbenders in ep01 are nearby, so Korra gets to beat up twinblade dude (who's also a metalbender so that we get sweet swordbending :colbert: ), and coincidentally it's revealed they worked for Kuvira all along. Almost stand-alone episode, and finally some fights to win.

You're definitely right, though. The fight was a little too one-sided. I wrote it earlier - I think the series is too much on the nose about how much Korra sucks.

I'm gonna be so angry if we don't get swordbending

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Firelord Ozai would have hosed Korra up beyond repair

On one hand, Ozai was at that point quite possibly the most powerful firebender in the entire world.

On the other hand, Korra would've shot loving lightning at the dude the moment he stood shirtless on a blimp

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Seems everyone is getting to the same conclusion - nobody minds this plot taking as long as it does, but this last battle might have been too blatant about it. My big hope is that we'll get a proper pay-off - all that humiliation should balance out at some point... in the form of jawpunching. Korra said it herself, she's got a lot of build-up rage.

Really, the worst that could happen would be another Season 1 copout - no badass battle, just sudden plot elements which don't feel earned, and which don't give any sense of satisfaction. Again, there's no point to all this humiliation if it doesn't lead to SOMETHING, and that's what I'm afraid of (even after the nice S2 conclusion, and all of S3). Hell, and even if Korra gets Avatar state under control again, that wouldn't feel right - or does anyone want to see Kuvira trounce her again, only for Korra to win with Avatar state? That would suck. I hope for a proper beatdown, and right as the battle is clearly over, something else forces Avatar state. Like, bombs. Which need to be spirit-punched into orbit.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This is my only complaint about the season so far. It's possible to have someone lose a fight while still putting up a good fight.

This is a very good point, and this show has lots of similar examples. There's also Tenzin & siblings vs the super benders - Tenzin was clearly shutting down Zaheer at every opportunity, and Kia wasn't doing all that bad herself, but ultimately they lost (also thanks to super-broken explosion powers). Also Bolin vs. Ghazan, which he probably would've lost in the long run. This show has a good track record with balanced battles, so I HOPE we'll get back on track against other enemies than endbosses.

Seriously, this season needs a Lieutenant.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Kuruk apparently died pretty young though.

There is zero chance Kuruk didn't use Avatar State for the raddest surfing session ever.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

So far, three of the elements have a "regular" version and one or two "upgraded" version.

Earth: Metal/Lava
Water: Blood
Fire: Lightning/Explosion

What about Air? The only thing I could think of is that Zaheer could fly, but that was more of a meditation technique (letting go of his earthly ties) rather than another type of bending.

Fartbending.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bolin + Varrick is absolute magic. Lavabending looks pretty drat awesome, and I love how Varrick just science'd up an EMP blast just like that! Highlight of the episode: Varrick & Bolin walking past their wanted posters, and he turns and grins at the guard. Also, very curious how many different kinds of hell will be raised in the swamp.

Also, Wu didn't annoy me nearly as much as I thought he would! I was generally a fan of the interaction, this time. Especially liked the short fight scene in/on the train; I like how metal bending is never as flashy as the typical bending styles we've seen in the series, but much more physical, with wires, roofs violently ripped open, metal barriers slowly curving in on people, and - oh yeah - the FLYING KNIVES. Still waitin' for that swordbender.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

It would be hilariously ironic for Korra to go to Zaheer to get advice on how to take down a world leader. I hope this happens. :allears:

Oh hell yes.

"Okay, so, get ready to have a one-liner prepped for the tyrant's ironic demise. Like... Your evil plans are put on ICE! And then you stab 'em with an icicle."

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, this show has an excellent track record so far capturing the sheer entertainment that is Toph. It'll definitely be something to behold. Maybe not even a huge action scene, but definitely badass. I can't imagine Toph backing down or not noticing.

...basically, I want the finale to be non-stop destruction and magic kung-fu battles. I don't care if all other episodes leading up to it are setup.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I must've missed it. What was the drivers seat gag?

I must admit, I have no idea what they mean either... Please explaaaaaiiiin

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

Here's a good thing about the show.

I thought Wu would turn out to be annoying, but he's so lovably wimpish, it's great. I especially like how absolutely no-one is putting up with his nonsense, yet he keeps on truckin'. Like the part where they all have a big ol' friendship hug, and Korra immediately pushes Wu out of the group. :allears:

"You're the best friends a guy could have!"

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

what's interesting is that when people earthbend to stop a car, the earth moves as an extension of themselves and causes a whole mess of damage to the street to catch the car. Why not just earthbend the section you need to disable the car quickly?

I think that's exactly it: as an extension of themselves. Most basic bending moves always happen either in direct vicinity/contact to the guy doing it, or they are connected to them somehow. You've got earthbenders raising walls, but they're usually nearby; and even Kuvira, who's done all that fancy metal sheet kungfu, always shot the metal beforehand and kept on moving it - she never, say, picked up another metal sheet that dropped to the ground twenty meters away. That's pretty much the key difference between bending and element-specific telekinesis, I guess.

Of course, that pretty much falls apart with several instances of lavabending (or perhaps Ghazan could move the lava underground?) and earthbending (when they suckerpunch people with suddenly raised pillars, while being nowhere near said pillar themselves). Maybe that's a tad more lenient since, well, it's earth, they're usually connected to it; as if the bending "travelled" through the medium, I guess... Similar to how Korra dropped that wall on the evil waterbender chancellor in S1, she touched the wall first, too. And the Avatar state, I guess, though you could just say they're getting such a huge boost of power that distance barely matters.

What I'm trying to say is, Magical Kung-Fu > Element Telekinesis.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen. Kuvira hucks some metal at Korra while she's in the Avatar Ball and Korra just bends it away and adds it to the mix.

Coat yourself in it, become the hamsterball of doom.

No it does not have to make sense.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh well. I didn't know what kind of episode this was gonna be, so I was... less than enthusiastic once I realized. Though I got thorougly blindsided by how genuinely funny Varrick's narration was, holy poo poo... Zombie Amon :haw:

It's too bad, really, but eh. Let's just treat this season as having one episode less. Better shows have done it, I'm not going to complain about it here. I do feel a little duped, having waited another week for a stupid clipshow, but can't do anything about that... Really, if the remaining episodes are a proper return to form, I'll just quietly forget this episode ever existed.

...so, too bad there was no episode this week, eh? OH WELL.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sato posted:

And any list of great Korra moments would be incomplete without Bolin saving the President.

AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

I'm constantly afraid that they'll run out of money and the finale of Korra will end like the Evangelion series.

Fair bit of warning, then: if that actually happens, I will have so much internet rage like boy dang that is woah

That aside, while I am entertained, part of me wants this season to be... y'know... grand. So far, the season has been very subdued compared to what we're used to. I'm getting serious flashbacks to S1: the robots are back, and most enemies aren't flashy with explosions, but rather physical. In S1 of course because of the Equalists, here because of all the metalbenders. Even our big villain so far fights very subdued compared to Unalaq's spirit shenanigans and Zaheer's shotgun airblasts (even though the sheer elegance of it is jaw-dropping - seriously, watch that bandit attack on the train in episode 1 and tell me I'm wrong). I'm worried this isn't just storytelling, but also a production issue. Of course, I'm not gonna complain one bit if we really do get the spectacular magical kung-fu finale that was S2 and S3 - it'll be all worth it. (Although an awesome fight scene for Mako would be nice. Aaaand the return of the swordbender. YOU KNOW IT WILL HAPPEN.)

At least the clip show episode has once again shown that, if anything, the producers are excellent at redirecting blame. You might even say they're...

...nah too obvious

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

X_Toad posted:

To be fair, it's not like Korra intended to do any of those things, or even participated in all of them. The democratization of Republic City happened because Amon was defeated after having been really successful and then the politicians thought "Okay, maybe we ought to change a few things around here". She only left the portals open because her complete failure at stopping Unalaq before he could fulfill his goals, and only managing to stop him at the very last moment, meant that the main reason for closing them was gone. The return of the Air Nation was an unexpected event and before that, she couldn't deal with any of the predictable stuff, like getting rid of the vines or helping human and spirits to live together.

Well, if anything, that is fair! :) This might be why it's a hard sell. But in the end, none of it would've been possible without Korra's actions and decisions. She saw that Unalaq had a point and left the portals open on purpose; and even if the new airbenders were by chance, she still helped build the nation and - most importantly! - was willing to sacrifice herself for it.

Amon is a much trickier case, if you ask me, because that really WAS pretty much a fuckup from beginning to end. Did she ever manage to expose Amon as a fraud? Only by accident, and even with a power she discovered by accident as well! If it weren't for that sudden emergence of Airbending, no-one in the entire season had done anything to stop Amon (except for Asami and Bolin, I guess - yay for mechbattles! And you could argue that Lin managed to delay the airbender's capture). And finally, the democratization happened entirely offscreen, with no explanation whatsoever except for a few tidbits here and there in interviews. Hell, when you look at Korra at the beginning of S2, she hasn't learned a thing and is as hotheaded as ever - am I supposed to believe she actually understood the underlying problem and helped bring democracy about? Looks more like a job for Tenzin. Sorry, I don't buy it.

The more time passes, the more I'm starting to think that the S1 finale really IS the lowpoint. I was only vaguely disappointed when it happened, but the more we saw of the long-term consequences, the more I dislike it. There were so many things missing from it: actually building towards the democracy we're supposed to think has sprouted from that chaos, what happened to the Lieutenant (far too important to be just left in a pile of rubble forever!) and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, no magical kung-fu battles! Bloodbending is creepy, but it SUCKS for magical kung-fu! There should've been some way of subverting it entirely to have sweet magical kung-fu - then we may have had an epic showdown, similar to the bloodbending fight in the first series, where one fighter (Katara) was straight-up immune and everybody else (Sokka, Aang) were just dolls/weapons to fight with. Instead, sudden silly airbending takedown out of nowhere. Great. S2 finale is not only leagues better than that, it's also actually good, and S3 is even better. A cool villain like Amon deserved better.

The murder suicide was genius, though. That did a lot to soften the impact.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

As much as I appreciate some of the more in-depth posts in this thread, I'm kinda glad it will die soon...

Anyways, I liked the episode. :toot: Not too much action, but some very nice moments.
Of course, big fan of Zaheer's reappearance. I loved that he is obviously still utterly convinced he was right - and he's smug about it, too. It was a nice contrast to Korra, who quickly dropped any pretense of not being loving terrified.
Also very nice to see how obviously frustrated Korra is with herself. I'm honestly surprised how well they're reflecting the viewer's feelings! Stick the landing, and this could be the best character arc of the entire series. I am a little disappointed with Tenzin's role so far; he's been not very helpful and very passive, but his arc was arguably over in Season 3. He showed his resolve to defend the Air Nation, said Air Nation proved key in taking down Zaheer, and now he's basically build an army of superheroes. I feel like the only real territory left for him to explore is his relationship to Korra, and Season 2 already covered most of that. I... I just want to see Tenzin kick rear end again. And maybe win. :(

I'm somewhat glad Bolin isn't just forgiven like that, would've felt very cheap. Also digging the return of Varrick's fancy suit. Very glad so see Lin take action - it's very Beifong-like, and this should be a sweet side plot.

Also, I noticed that this show has a weird amount of friendship hugs. Like... they stick out. Kinda don't fit the tone of the series. Yet people keep huggin'.

Legend of Hugs.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ravane posted:

Are you not hugged by your friends very often?

How does it not fit the tone of the series, one of the major themes is just friendship, how better to express that than with a hug? How else do you express it, a fuckin' handshake?

No wonder you goons think a hug means romantic feelings. You guys don't get hugged at all.

Hey. That was uncalled for, you jerk. :mad:

I'm talking about the group hugs! They even kinda made fun of it this episode. It seems something kids would rather do, not 20-somethings. For some reason, I noticed how weird it seems this episode. Probably when Bolin joked about it. Only thing missing would be someone yelling "FRIENDSHIP GO" or something. (Or... Meelo farting on it, I guess)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ravane posted:

I actually genuinely feel bad. I apologize.

Regardless, many 20-somethings hug all the time. It just depends on whether you're an introvert or an extrovert.

Understand where Bolin is coming from, he spent three years apart from both Korra and his brother, fighting for something he believed in. Now he finds out that he's been subjugating thousands of people to Kuvira's control. Support was what he needed, and symbolically, that's what a hug allowed him get; a small moment of comfort before the finale. You can't blame him for wanting seconds.

All cool. Forgive me if, topic at hand, I don't offer a friendship group hug :toot:

Of course, I see where you're coming from; I actually think the show is pretty good in making their characters react believably, and drat Bolin deserved that group huggin'. Bolin is just ridiculous enough to do that, but seriously - Mako, Asami and Korra last episode? Looked out of place for me. Like a remnant from a show for younger children than the manchildren actually watching it

I'd also like to call attention to the fact that, with Varrick and Asami called on to counter Kuvira's spiritnuke, the chances of giant mech battles just shot through the roof.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

"Hey chief"

"Hey chief"

:allears:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's Suyin's own fault for not going Metal Mongol on everyone else.

Luckily Toph is about to go do it for her. :krad:

Given how Batar & Kuvira are currently somewhere else (and will probably stick around to attack Republic City), I kinda hope it's not just a minion mop up. I mean, hey, Opal is there, expert metalbender Lin is there - what better time than this for the return of the twinblade bandit who will metalbend multiple twinblades for maximum kicking rad magical kungfu?

I mean, com'on. They can't let us hanging like that.

...right?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Superstring posted:

Metal bending fights are cool.

This is good and true and I hope it extends to swords and mechs. Perhaps both at once. Sword mechs. Swechs. (Mords?)

If there should ever be another series in this franchise, I hope they get even more modern, with new bending subschools as well to reflect the changing times. Behold... the PLASTICBENDER

That doesn't sound very impressive, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Goddamn, that was a great fight. Many have said it before, but it's great how everybody has such a distinctive style... I especially liked the two brothers, who did nothing but tag team moves. Throwing a HUGE loving boulder together, raising walls at the same time, catching each other's wires and pulling to safety. :stare: Not to mention that everybody's personalities shone through in their techniques, it's great. Lin literally seems to rip metal apart, Suyin is an acrobatic ninja who will loving murder you, and Toph flattens everything with I'm-bored-with-this-poo poo giant earthquakes. With this much effort put into these last few scenes, I don't think that'll be the end of it. There's gotta be at least one more rad Beifong scene in store for us. Possibly something for Lin & Toph - Suyin already had plenty of scenes, and there's still the question of her dad...

If the inevitable Korra vs. Kuvira can in any way match what we saw today, I'll be happy.

...also, maybe give Mako a proper action scene? Like... Call me weird, but I kinda want to see the guy fight properly without immediately being snagged by wires or vines. Maybe next episode.

• Locked thread