Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Request to include the EDH thread in the OP:

EDH/Commander Thread
Discussion and decklists for the critically acclaimed 100 card singleton format featuring a legendary general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Sickening posted:

How many of you use pucatrade? Is this going to be as cool as I want it to be?

Pucatrade owns, I've sent out 542 cards and received 416. Highlights include receiving a Gaea's Cradle and Judge Umezawa's Jitte, all for the low low price of tons of stamps and constant :f5:ing. It can be hellaciously grindy waiting for trades to pop up so make sure you put in as much of your collection as you can stand. When I started out I was willing to send out any trade that would net me more points than the value of a stamp, but that gets old quickly so my personal minimum has crept up to ~250 points unless something pops up for someone I know or have good trades with before.

I do basically zero unplanned in person trades anymore because pucatrade is so much less of a hassle in the age of #mtgfinance and traders wanting value balanced out to the nearest nickel based on tcg mid or asking for ridiculous throw ins so they can "win" the trade. It's also made events much more enjoyable not lugging around binders and/or worrying that they're going to be stolen.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Count Bleck posted:

Is there a way to see the amount of points you get in for trading in? I'm not seeing it.

If you click the "Send Cards" button on the top right it takes you to the page where available trades are listed. The third column named Value lists how many points you'll get for completing the trade. They're roughly equivalent to somewhere between tcgmid and scg for the most part, with 1 point equaling 1 cent, they usually lag behind a day or two on updating prices for stuff that spikes like crazy.

Sickening posted:

So far I think its a little weird because I have some pretty premo trades and nobody that currently needs them. I have rabbles, temples, and all sorts of good stuff that is not showing a single person that needs them.

It will only show you people with the combination of wanting the card and having the points available to receive the card. Anything that's in standard and hot will get snapped up within seconds of it being listed thanks to plugins that check sites for changes on the page (I use check4change) so you can have that running in the background while you do other stuff and then dive to change tabs when something changes and hope to catch it before someone else does. In fact, if you ever see lots of copies of a standard card show up as available trades and not get snapped up immediately its a red flag that the card is in a #mtgfinance price spike situation so check tcg or ebay to see what they're really going for. For example, Stoke the Flames recently went through the roof but PucaTrade had it listed at about half the market rate, so a bunch of shitheads had multiple playlists posted hoping someone would send them all the value. The most active time of day for trades to pop up seems to be 5:30PM-10:30PM Eastern time, which probably corresponds with people getting home from work, opening their mail, and completing trades, which opens up the trades that the person who sent the cards because they are suddenly flush with points.

mehall posted:

Man, if only being in the UK didn't kill mich hope of that. Stupid postage costs.

That is a flaw and the size of the community is way smaller, but you may be surprised at how many traders are willing to take a loss on postage just to get some points. I've received a ton of cards from Ireland for some reason.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Dang. Testing out that Mono-U Robots standard decklist that top 8'd in Japan. It's actually a pretty fun deck.

I've been trying it out as well, I've found it to be fun but wildly inconsistent. I wish there was video of that tournament so I could see what he was doing to make Daring Thief a good card. I'm thinking it might get better as more cards hit standard, it needs a few more artifact creatures or enablers to give it a little something. There is the highly entertaining two land, two Ornithopter, two Ensoul Artifact opening hand to make up for all the hands that are full of Chief Engineers, Springleaf Drums, and no gas.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Reid Duke with the p1p1 Sorin :laffo:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
They picked the perfect camera angle to capture the glare on the cards so you can't see any of the cards :v:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Haven't seen a deck running yet in the dailies. I don't know if merfolk pitches enough cards to make it worthwhile.

I've been happy with it in Merfolk as a 1-2 of because my yard is always full of dead lords and silvergills. Dig Through Time would probably be better in the monoU version but I'm currently on UW.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
That's a lovely Xenagod you've got going over there, it would be a shame if you didn't trade it for this sweet Singing Bell Strike though :smug:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Olothreutes posted:

So is this just some form of that soul blade deck that has been running around but with daring thief?

It's Soul Blade without all the white in exchange for Chief Engineers, Daring Thief, and Scuttling Doom Engine AKA Scoots McGoots AKA Oops your Elspeth is Dead AKA Best Card in Standard.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AgentSythe posted:

I'mIt's probably just bad.

Ftfy, it's fun as hell but also wildly inconsistent. An excellent deck for the gambling person.

Count Bleck posted:

Basically what you really want to do is play it before you swing with bident on the board/know for a fact your opponent is twiddling their thumbs.

And then you at the very worst have a 2/2 for three that makes a 1/1.

At the very best you have a 4/4 on your untap :getin:

I sadly took out my Chasm Skulkers for more Daring Thief action, but I'll probably end up talking myself back into them for gameday since I have this huge pile of squid tokens all ready to go.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I look forward to FNM being a clusterfuck tonight, especially if the judge doesn't show up again and I get to run the draft like last week :v:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Yawgmoth posted:

This is every business. Seriously, every single business that does business online and/or through the mail. Your recourse is to report them to the feds for mail/wire fraud, also just like every other business.

Yeah, it's the same as Lowtax pulling the plug on the forum to steal our :10bux: forever or scg deciding that they don't feel like mailing out cards people paid for anymore. There's not much for the owners to gain by suddenly shutting it all down and there's a big enough community within pucatrade that somebody would probably take over if the current team decides they don't want to deal with it anymore. It is possible that at some point down the road traders will be left holding the bag if people stop trading magic cards or the site goes under, but magic is in a good place right now and the site keeps adding new features which suggests they're getting enough money to pay people to improve the site. There also isn't the Ponzi/pyramid scheme part where points are constantly being funneled to the people at the top, I've traded with almost everyone on the administrative team and they send and receive the same dumb cards as anyone else. That being said, If you're worried about the whole thing falling apart you can either not do it at all or just keep your point balance low by putting every conceivable card you could ever want on your list and you'll get stuff sent to you immediately after you get credits for the cards you sent. It is pretty sweet to save up for a big card and have one sent out to you, I've got a Judge foil Sword of Light and Shadow on it's way to me as of this morning :smaug:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Count Bleck posted:

I think my main beef with Pucatrade is that I don't know why nobody seems to be listed for wanting the cards everyone seems to be chasing right now.

Seriously, the only fetch I see with a list of wants is Bloodstained Mire, and none of them are in the united states. :argh:

It's because there's tons of people furiously :f5:ing all day everyday to send out cards and wants only show up on the list once people have enough points to afford it. Because of that, almost anything that is >500 points and is currently being opened gets snapped up immediately so you have to be the first one who sees it. I had a Flooded Strand in my wants list but not enough points to afford it and someone picked it up within seconds of a trade I sent out being confirmed, which kicked my available points into the range of affording the Strand. I'd recommend picking up a browser plugin that refreshes a page and checks for changes, I use check4change and it lets me catch a lot more trades than I usually would, although I still miss out on a bunch because someone beat me to it by a few seconds. Another fun trick is to keep an eye on the want lists of people who are sending you cards, if the points you give them when you confirm the trade puts them into affording a high value card you can easily be the first person to click it.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Its a website where you exchange cards for points, and then you exchange those points for other cards. That's not trading cards, its selling them and buying them. I have no problem with that, I do it all the time, I just prefer to do it with a currency I can use at more places than a single website for niche collectibles.

If there is one thing I think people like about Puca Trade its the automation. The thing I hear most people complain about selling/buying and trading in general is haggling for prices. Puca Trade takes that out of the equation and I think people love that, something about not having to deal with setting prices or considering an offer makes people willing to accept the fact that you're essentially selling and buying cards except never getting any cash.

I don't mind dealing with an occasional low ball or a dude that wants SCG retail for his stuff, and so I'd rather get rid of my poo poo on TCG Player and have cash than deal with Puca Trade.

It's way easier buying cards with money but it's hard to get the same amount money out of selling your cards outside of the trading thread here. Pucatrade is nice because it strips a lot of the bullshit out of the trading process and doesn't have any discrepancies between what it costs to send and receive cards outside of whatever market changes happen during the trade.

For example, I had an extra Polluted Delta I wanted to change into a Flooded Strand. I could try and find someone local to trade with, which is never not awful So, what do you value this at :smug:. I could try and set something up on the trade thread here, which requires someone being willing to make that exact trade, or I could sell my Delta in the thread for ~$14.50 and buy a Strand for ~$13.50 not counting fees, which requires someone willing to buy and also willing to sell. I could buylist at SCG with store credit and pay them a couple extra bucks for the Strand, so I'm essentially getting a Strand for like $5. Or I could do what I did and send out a Delta on PucaTrade for 2200 points and get a Strand sent out to me for 1800 points. It's not without it's hassles, but it makes trading cards way simpler and lets me turn $1-5 cards into $30+ dollar cards or grab whatever dollar card I need to fill out a deck. If I'm ever in a place where I'm sitting on a ton of points and decide I need to cash out I can just list whatever staple cards are buylisting well and drain my account.

fake edit: The automation is what really shines, I can grind trades for a few days and then list what I want and then ignore it for a week or two and stuff starts showing up in my mailbox, it's hard to beat how cool that is.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Yeah, I don't think that's really a thing but it has been mentioned here. I've never noticed a discrepancy between the points I get for sending out a card and the points that the recipient actually sends to me. On top of that, the send points feature for uncommon members doesn't shave any points either, if I send a buddy 200 points they get 200 points. It is possible for a card someone sends to you to be worth more or less by the time it gets to you, but that’s just a basic reality of trading magical cards.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
And the underwhelming followup to the sweet art of November's Brain Maggot and December's Stoke the Flames FNM Promos is this bad boy:

Looks like they're going for a more Ankle Shanker look for it. I'm still holding out for an Ensoul Artifact promo but they'll probably start in on KtK cards in February.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ebethron posted:

I imagine it is for cube, as it's considered by many to be a decent one-drop in that environment. Intimidator Initiate isn't bad either: falter effects are decent in a creature-based limited format, even a relatively high powered one.
It's also seeing play in that red one drops deck, and as the owner of an almost completely foiled monogreen Stompy deck in modern I can appreciate fancying up a budget deck. For whatever reason I had the impression that the FNM promos tended to be bad uncommons, but I was going through the spoiler for them on magiccards.info and they've actually been pretty decent cards for the most part. Maybe I was a little jaded because I started regularly winning them when Encroaching Wastes was the promo, but they've by and large been at least fringe playable cards. I thought having a promo for all the guilds was cool, I'm not sure what they could do for the KtK clans but I imagine they might try to work those in.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That said, hate the art.
:agreed:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Fingers McLongDong posted:

EDH is easily my least favorite format and I only play it sometimes because sometimes during the week thats all anyone at the lgs wants to play. It does seem to attract the oddballs that won't play any other format seriously. Also, gently caress anyone that plays possibility storm and makes the game take forever after I finally agree to play. I usually just drop when someone agrees to play standard/modern.

I was spoiled by a great playgroup when I was living in Maryland and I thought that people were being hyperbolic with their distaste for EDH. Then I moved back to Michigan and a buddy who got back into Magic after I left invited me out to his LGS's EDH league, which features a Sheldon PointsTM style scoring system and cash payout to the top 2. I think I made it through 3 and a half events before I couldn't deal with with the shitlord parade anymore. The EDH players at my LGS is more of the oddball crowd with the anime playmats and pokemon energy cards as basic lands and have some incomprehensible unwritten code of "don't play to win but get super mad if you don't win." It is interesting that the same deck can be unplayable garbage at one store and an oppressive tryhard douchefest at another store an hour away, but it has cut down on my interest in the format and I now understand where everyone who beefs with EDH is coming from. I've cut down to two decks I try to keep up to date to play occasionally with friends and drinks, but they tend to be more interested in Standard and Modern so I've got two each of those now.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
So much for the theory that they'd reprint the full cycle of Commands (or any other valuable reprints for that matter :v:). Looks like none of these should be bought out hard like the True-Name Nemesis deck was unless the Dualcaster Mage ends up being the new hotness.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I'll pick up the white one for sure since I already have a Soldier tribal token and equipment deck so it jams right in there fairly well, none of the rest look all that exciting. The blue one might also be an interesting pickup if I decide to finish the monoblue sea critters deck I was working on. I like that they're including all the relevant tokens for the decks and that they're kicking the number of oversized cards down to 1, but beyond that there's not a lot to be jazzed about at the new $35 price point.

Just kidding I'll end up buying all 5 just like I have with all the rest of them because there's something wrong with my brain that causes me to funnel all my money directly to Hasbro :shepspends:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Skillface posted:

Thank you for the laugh with the responses.

I decided to do it because $5 isn't really a big deal and I play a lot of casual commander & maybe there'll be a few things to use/trade with my playgroup. I was just wondering if it was actually "random" and I guess my suspicions were correct!

Buylist for bulk mythics is like a quarter and you can usually get about a buck in trade value for any bulk mythic (although you need to find someone looking for that bad mythic). There are ~450 different mythic rares and there's a good number of stinkers, plus a bunch that have been reprinted into oblivion. The site specifically mentions that it's coming from their bulk inventory, so it's refreshing that they're being honest and not doing the eBay repack thing of "L@@K!! BLACK LOTUS FoW REPACKS" so you don't have to be bummed about not getting a Tarmogoyf or whatever. I say go hog wild and buy a bunch to do a reject mythic rare draft.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Snacksmaniac posted:

Aside from a few of the elf commons and maybe the medallions, there really aren't any reprints in those decks I was dying for. They all still seem like OK values at 30, 35 is pushing it maybe.

Probably going to keep my preorder still.

The medallions are pretty cool, it'd be nice to see them show up in foil somewhere though. It would be interesting to see the behind the scenes that goes into what gets changed around before the product in finalized in order to hit whatever target market value they shoot for in precons, especially since they tend to do a good job of keeping it right around MSRP (excluding True-Name Nemesis obviously). It would be great to see them be a little more aggressive and shoot for something like 125% of MSRP to push up initial sales and drive down prices on the chase singles inside over time, but I imagine they are very conscious of wanting the product to be available to casual players on release day so it'll probably never happen. There's a lot of underwhelming cards they're reprinting for the third plus time when there's tons of $5+ Commons, $10+ Uncommons, and $15+ Rares that could really use more copies floating around in the wild. There's no reason we need the third printing of Adarkar Valkyrie when Leyline of Sanctity or Auriok Champion would be just fine in the white deck. Why print Concentrate for the third time after printing Treasure Cruise when Remand or Cursecatcher could use a reprint? Serum Visions is a $7 common but instead they threw in the third printing of Into the Roil. Blood Moon would be a great inclusion here because it doesn't hose the kitchen table players who pick these up and play them against each other as is; instead, there are zero people who see the third printing of Starstorm on the decklist and think Nice! Also, it's super weird that they're reprinting Serra Avatar for the 6th time over Batterskull in Equipment.dec but they slammed Wurmcoil Engine into ArtifactShenanigans.dec, right?

I'm not saying WotC needs to put a Tarmogoyf in every pot or that precons should have zero garbage cards, but it would be sweet if they gave Modern players a pat on the back that says "don't worry lil buddy, we're paying attention and trying to keep modern accessible but not too accessible since you should really just be playing standard :kheldragar:."

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They've reprinted Shocks, Thoughtseize, and Fetchlands in rapid succession I don't think they can push modern reprints much more without Standard flat out becoming an unappealing option.

That's the thing though, rapid succession means over the last two years, and in those last two years the prices of staples that haven't shown up in Standard have gone bananas. I'm certain that WotC has zero interest in making Modern more appealing than Standard since their existence is predicated on Selling Packs of Cards, but I think they also believe they're aware that they need a format that appeals to entrenched players to support the stores that sell packs and keep those players buying the occasional pack or two. I don't think Modern will ever be a cheap format to play well in, but there's probably a level of reprints that would support keeping interested players engaged in pouring money into Modern while keeping Standard as the main go-to constructed format. I think they're way below that level right now and I think it runs the risk of pushing some of those entrenched players out of the format entirely, especially when they slam a huge shakeup into the format like Treasure Cruise. I mentioned it briefly in the Eternal thread, but attendance has been way down at my LGS' Modern night while FNM Standard and Draft are right about the same or better attended than before. If a player's only modern deck that they've been working on putting together for a year or two suddenly gets substantially worse over the course of a few weeks they have the option of continuing the same deck and getting crushed all the time, acquiring new cards to tune the deck to make the matchup better, putting together a whole new deck, or dropping out of the format. Changing decks in Standard is way easier than changing decks in Modern if you don't have the resources to keep a library of staples on hand, especially since the card pool is so much smaller. I think WotC would probably be in a better place if they were able to keep reprints at a level where the average player who is super interested in a format is able to think about changing decks as an expensive but achievable proposition over a sell my kidneys or quit playing proposition. Reprinting the Shocks and bringing ONS Fetches onboard has been a big deal for helping with that, but the interest in the format is way outpacing the supply of available cards.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Didn't Humphries and Boettcher already bring back Fateseal to great success?

jassi007 posted:

I got a consolation prize for sticking it out though, one of those neat mox playmats.

Stores that give out consolation prizes are the best. At one of the KtK prereleases at my LGS they figured who was the lowest ranked player that played out every game and gave her a full box of Khans. It was a pretty :3: moment, especially since nobody got salty that she got the same prize as the guy who came in first.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I think the real color pie question we're forgetting to ask is what would a tasty color pie pie be made of? The white section could be coconut cream, blue is obviously blueberry, black is blackberry, red is raspberry, and green is key lime. Seems like a mechanically complex baking endeavor.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Burn Pie: take a cherry pie and throw handfuls of it in your opponents face until they die.

8-Rack Pie: knock your opponent's pieces of pie out of their hand until they die.

Breakfast Burrito Pie: Throw your pie on the floor. A giant ooze dinosaur pops out and shoots your opponent in the face.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Birthing Pod Pie: Start with a tiny pie and smash it, revealing a slightly larger pie. Repeat until you have an infinitely large pie or your smaller pies out value your opponent.

Twin Pie: Throw handfuls of your pie at your opponent to prevent them from enjoying their pie until you're able to empty a dump truck filled with identical hostess pocket pies onto the table, smothering your opponent.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: Megathread:
lsv: look what I did
lsv: to the game
lsv: for value

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

theironjef posted:

I want a picture where it unmorphs into a goopy cave.

This or a giant metal wheel. Did they ever do an artistic rendering of creatures turning into/coming out of the Onslaught spider morph things?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Sickening posted:

I have always been burned on ultra pro, are the mattes actually useable?

Nibble posted:

They have cheaper lines which I think is where they get most of their reputation from, but the Pro-Mat series is actually quite nice. My buddy uses them for his cube and after many sessions with tons of shuffling they still feel incredibly nice and I don't think a single one has split.

Pro Mattes are the best of Ultra Pro's sleeve offerings, but in my experience the level of quality is different depending on what color you get. I use the black ones for limited and can get maybe 3-4 months out of a set of 100 (I bring 50 sleeved lands with me) playing ~6 events per month before they start falling apart and/or become too gross with LGS goop and they're cheap enough for that not to be a big deal. I tried orange and some other color when my store was having a shortage on black and the orange ones were splitting day one and only lasted me like two weeks and the other color (neon green?) only lasted about a month. I vastly prefer KMC Hyper Mattes and will probably switch over to them for limited once I get around to buying a case of them from Potomac Distribution. I already use them with KMC Perfect Fits on all my constructed decks and they last forever without getting all marked up on the back. I think I've split 2 of them out of 2 100 card decks and 4 60 card decks and the really old ones clean up fairly nice once they get really grimy.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I would like to thank everyone for posting MTGO bugs, sometimes I get to thinking that I should pick up a cheap Windows laptop so I can draft anytime on my couch but the parade of failure constantly on display reminds me that it would be a terrible idea. Lord help me if they ever put out a Mac or browser based client though, all day erryday drafts would be the end of my capacity to function as a normal human being.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Standard: I play Gr Devotion because I played mono Green Devotion all last standard season and it wasn't too hard to update. I also have Robits, which is fun as hell but frequently bad, I'm sad to see that TWoo is pushing a worse version of it now.

Modern: Merfolk is my main deck, I started picking up pieces for the deck as soon as Aether Vial was spoiled in MMA since (at the time) $20 seemed unreasonable to spend on a single card. I have pretty much all the pieces to make any U or UW version of the deck, although I still need to pick up a playset of Remands. I'd been on UW since KtK came out but Delver Cruise was kicking my rear end. If Cruise doesn't get banned I'll probably give the 4 Chalice 4 Cavern list a go. I also built MonoGreen Stompy because I wanted a cheap second deck and it's turned out to be pretty good, I spent next to nothing to get it together and have since almost completely foiled it out with prize money. It also has great game against Delver which should be nice for the rest of the year.

Legacy: I have everything I need for legacy Merfolk except for a Daze, and playsets of FoW and Wasteland :shepspends:

EDH: I have a Trostani tokens n' lifegain shenanigans deck that I like a lot but is frequently deemed "unfun," a Sigarda voltron deck that is deliberately unfun. a Vela the Nightclad deck that I haven't touched in almost a year, and an Odric solider token deck that I'll be changing to emphasize equipment a little bit more if I can pick up the new white precon for MSRP.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Zoness posted:

Of all the possible things to be unfun in EDH how is tokens and lifegain possibly unfun?

The mind boggles.

Even if you're winning with Felidar Sovereign and/or Test of Endurance how is that unfun :psyduck:

The deck was fine back when I lived in Maryland, I'd get fun policed a lot because the deck gets way out of hand if left unchecked but it was always good times. The EDH players at the store I play at now are intolerable, the deck has a lot of degenerate plays but they're mostly super durdly and involve 3-4 card combos. T2 Luminarch Ascension threw everyone into fits; Earthcraft+Squirrel Nest are bananas on their own but made massive feelbads when combined with other cards (add Altar of Dementia for instant mill everyone out, add Archangel of Thune and Trostani for infinite life and infinitely large squirrels, Craterhoof Behemoth to wreck anyone not running Fog), Natural Order and Defense of the Heart for fatties made everyone sad, Veldalken Orrery and Seedborn Muse are an offense to the Spirit of EDH (Prophet of Kruphix is okay btw :ironicat:), and somehow I'm the bad guy if I end up with Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, and Primal Vigor on the battlefield and get to make infinite Saprolings with Sprout Swarm.

The solution was to stop playing pickup EDH at the store and only play with friends, I play a lot less EDH but it's much more enjoyable when I do.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well you got the cheap part of the deck! Now for the legacy part.

I'm holding out for reprints so I can get into Legacy right around 2040 when WotC is printing cards like mad as a final cash grab after Return to Homelands 3: Fall of Autumn Willow tanks and threatens to push Hasbro into bankruptcy.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
That's pretty much it so far, expect big box stores to be short on red and white for a little bit and your LGS to charge a little bit more for them. Containment Priest is driving up demand for the white one and the red one is the only one with known monetary value and potential money card Dualcaster Mage in it.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh man, did you think modern masters was also done to encourage people to play modern? The only mistake there was not making more packs that people happily bought for $7$20 each lol, but maybe next year!

Fixed that for you.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

DoctorOozy posted:

My point is complaining about slow play in a competitive game where both players are on a clock is retarded.

I would like to see how a chess clock situation would work out in magic IRL. it's probably not feasible given all the passes in priority and whatnot but there's something to be said for having an out to players who drag games out intentionally or not. We briefly had a drafter at my LGS who figured out that you only need to win the first match and then draw the second to win the round, so he would play at a normal pace and if he won the first he would drag the hell out of the second until time or if he lost the first he would drag game 3 out to force a draw. It was a weird approach because the prize pool has a pretty flat curve and doesn't favor draw points. He got a few talking tos by the judge but always stuck by his "I'm thinking!" guns. He was eventually caught drawing extra cards against inexperienced players and stopped coming for some reason :iiam:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Does anyone know how long WotC customer service usually takes to turn things around? I had a messed up card in a commander Precon I sent off like a month ago and haven't received the replacement yet.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Bugsy posted:

It is supposed to be higher than mma, but not by a ton.

Is there a source for this? I've heard claims about the print run ranging from "as limited as MM1" through "Chronicles 2.0 but $10 packs will keep the market safe."

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Count Bleck posted:

People on Pucatrade just really really like dumb jank.

Hooded Hydra is also bonkers on PucaTrade now as well, I also have a ton people looking for foil Hootin' Mandrils :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Boco_T posted:

Well I'm definitely going to unload my foil Trail of Mystery for whatever garbage point value I can get (looks like around 150). Should I hold the foil Hooters? It was just in my bulk foil box but now I see it's also at 150. Is anyone playing it in an eternal deck yet?

It's not showing up as appearing in any decks on mtgtop8, maybe it'll be a thing someday but who knows. I'd send mine off but I'm sticking to 500+ point trades for now because :effort: and puca goes nuts around spoiler season so I'll just wait out the madness.

• Locked thread