Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Soothing Cacophony posted:

This deck is cool as hell, thanks for the write-up! I abandoned my Mardu control after feeling like it wasn't matching up too well versus the growing number of blue decks (Jeskai + UB control) in favour of U/W control, but I love this walker-centric list and now that Jeskai has waned I might have to pick it up again. What's your opinion on Lightning Strike vs. Chained to the Rocks here? I'd choose the Strikes as well since they're instant and more castable, but all the Mardu Midrange decks I've seen are making it work and in a tap-out list like this, it's appealing to me to drop a walker + removal that much easier.

Are you that confident you can get a Mountain out in the early game with just the 2 and the Mires? I wouldn't risk it.

This Mardu list looks very interesting, I've got all of it besides the Sorins and a couple Crackling Dooms. I would love to play it next week at my FNM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I took my own copy of the Mardu Walkers ist to FNM today. Went 2-1, so I was pleased with my performance. The maindeck is the same but instead of Revokers in the sideboard I put in 2 of the JOU guy that gives you Hexproof. There is no Azban at my store, but alot of Mardu and Jeskai Burn/Doom decks. Putting him in there makes them waste a spell on him instead of my PWs/me, saving me precious turns to stabiize with a Sorin.

Round 1 I faced the Grixis Riddle of Lightning/Delve combo-y deck. Beat me game one with Digs on the top before I could turn it around. Games 2&3 were not close, as I could Seize/Chandra draw my way out.

Round 2 was Temur Monsters. Lost both games. Game 1 was super explosive and Game 2 I ran out of cards needing 2 turns to draw anything against a Polukranos and never got it.

Round 3 was Mardu Aggro. Game 1 I could Anger of the gods out of his attack and got Sorin/Sarkhan out to stabilize. Game 2 was me stabilizing with a Chandra and then Dooming him to death. In Rounds 1 & 3 both people sided in Dictate of the Twin Gods, which is very popular here (slow-roll a lightning strike or two after you pop that out, and the game ends quickly.)

I really like the deck. The only thing I am not sure of is Read the Bones, but I was playing against aggro decks. Maybe Act on Impluse could work for card draw?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would say stay creatureless until sideboarding. It throws off most black decks and your sideboarding against red is pretty good. Have you thought about Aegis of the Gods? It was working pretty well for me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That's exactly how I do use it. Wasting a Lightning Strike or Stoke the Flames on that little guy before they can hit me is usually all I need to stabilize. My game 1 matchups against the burn heavy (not Sligh) decks has always been pretty bad because I lose alot of life early on Seizing out Rabblemasters.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For the Mardu Walkers people, you could also just break out a Banishing Light for whips. I run 1 maindeck just as a precaution against Ascendency and other game 1 enchantment things.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Emerson Cod posted:

One of the cool interactions I noticed when putting this list in is that you can blink any manifested creature and, as long as the face-down card is a permanent, you would get it into play. It seems really powerful with Omniscience, actually. Enlightened Tutor for Omniscience, put it on top of your library, manifest, then blink? Works with Blightsteel, Sundering Titan, plus any artifacts or enchantments that have a ETB effect.

Read Manifest again. If you blink a non-creature card it goes away.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thought I'd quickly update with my new version of the Mardu Walkers deck:

I'll post my version. This is the updated one I just made, changed 2-3 cards since FNM.

Deck: Mardu Walkers

//Main
4 Lightning Strike
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Liliana Vess
2 Read the Bones
4 Crackling Doom
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize
2 Utter End
1 Banishing Light
2 End Hostilities
1 Bloodfell Caves
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Wind-Scarred Crag
1 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Temple of Malice
2 Temple of Silence
3 Temple of Triumph
1 Battlefield Forge
3 Caves of Koilos

//Sideboard
2 Erase
2 Peak Eruption
2 Despise
1 Empty the Pits
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Aegis of the Gods
2 Seeker of the Way
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos

Display deck statistics

Tonight I had 1 Ajani maindeck, and an Underworld Cerberus in SB. I went 2-1 tonight, playing against Mardu midrange, RW aggro, and RW control. And that's why I run Peak Eruption. 5 of the 6 decks playing Standard tonight were Mardu or RW (other thing was Esper Control.) So this deck is tuned to beat up Mirrors.

Game 1 vs. Mardu midrange, I grind out game 1, get stuck on 2 mana game 2 when I switched to creatures. Game 3, he thoughtseizes turn 4 me and sees Lightning Strike, Seeker of the way, Peak Eruption. He takes the Lightning Strike. I use Peak Eruption next turn, keep him off Elspeth mana, and use Brimaz, 1 Seeker, and 2 new Lighting strikes to seal it.

Game 2 vs. RW aggro. He has a slow start, gets me down to 8 life. I Anger one turn to kill a seeker, Rabblemaster, and 1 Swiftspear, then drop Sarkhan, Elspeth, Sorin. Game 2 I get mana screwed again (keeping 2-landers in this deck is folly, and I will never do it again.) Game 3 he mulligans to 6, I turn 1 Despise him. I see 1 RW temple, 2 Raise the Alarm, 2 Trumpet Blast, 1 Goblin Outburst. He gets an untapped mana turn 2 and get starts getting out his stuff. I never see a wrath and I lose.

Game 3 vs. RW control. He gets me down to 2 life, and through Chandra 0s and scrylands, can't find any burn spells for 7-8 turns. I get Elspeth/Liliana/Sorin out and can come back to win from 24-2. Game 2 is much quicker and he loses to the same thing.

I still loving playing this deck. It always screws up people starting out with no creatures. I am maindecking 3 Anger now because aggro is always a crapshoot, so I'm trying to making it a bit easier for me. Underworld Cerberus is my pet card, but usually when it comes out (against Mardu, have yet to get it out against whip decks because no one plays them here) it is fighting against a tide of weenies. So Empty the pits shall become my new 1-of in the SB, because all the games I play get really grindy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BB on turn 2 is really hard. The best thing to do turn 1 is play a scry/refuge land, then Thoughtseize T2, and then plan out your game after that. Probably with more mana fixing (off-color fetches for regular swamps?) or more than 1 Urborg could do it. But it would be hard because I would probably want RR by turn 3 for Anger mana. The scry is great as well. I saw some people playing Bitter Revelation (to feed...I don't really know what, because I never saw it.) The problem with the deck is that it NEEDS to hit land drops. Most games I lose come from stumbling mana-wise and can't get a sweeper off.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YoshiStomper posted:

A few weeks ago people were posting their Mardu Midrange and Mardu Walkers deck. Any recent changes? I kinda wanna run that on Friday before prerelease.

I will need to do some sideboard wonking. Out of all the planeswalkers in the deck, I think Sarkhan is actually the weakest. I may go 1 of with him and use 2 Liliana. Maybe put Mardu Charm in the sideboard for certain decks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bhsman posted:

Decided to write up a big dumb Gruul Aggro list for Fate Reforged if anyone's interested; the main idea was to make use of what I consider to be the best creature in Fate Reforged (Shaman of the Great Hunt) and find as many awesome 4-power (or cards that get better if you have 4 power on baord) creatures in Gruul colors, and I really like how it turned out. Yasova can do some cool things in combat, Fanatic of Xenagos finally has a home, and every once in awhile you pump out a turn 4 See the Unwritten and drop two Stormbreath Dragons into play. :smaug:

Have you thought about the Ashcloud Phoenix? I was going to to make a Temur list using most of this stuff as well. Add in some Knux and Temur Char, Maybe Boon Saytr, and it could work.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mfcrocker posted:

Talk me out of playing this deck at a GPT :v:

Mono Black

You would get run over by Jeskai Tokens.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Have you tried Temple Bell?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Walking Archive could also work, although its a creature.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Deck: Temur Ascendancy Combo

//Lands
9 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Temur Ascendancy

//Creatures
2 Arbor Colossus
2 Boon Satyr
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Genesis Hydra
3 Heroes' Bane
2 Hornet Queen
3 Karametra's Acolyte
3 Kiora's Follower
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Prophet of Kruphix
3 Sylvan Caryatid

Display deck statistics

Thinking of dropping the Boon Satyrs for Kruphix because I'm winding up drawing a shitton of cards

e: Will probably wind up doing that temur sabertooth/voyaging satyr/nykthos combo once I can get my hands on one.

I played it last night as well. I would drop the Hero's Bane for Sabertooths and Crater's Claws (may it more than 1 way to go off.) I was able to kill someone with just mana dorks after getting off 2 Claws for 12. I may just put 4 knuckleblades in the SB and go away from the combo after game 1.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That Mono White deck from a couple months ago on SCG was pretty fun. You could try making one like that, but I preferred to add some G for Fleecemane Lion and Ajani.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Death of Rats posted:

I was getting burned out by Mono-R One-Drop Heroic after running it for two events back-to-back - this deck looks like so much fun. I had to make the odd change to the side (I don't have the Jaces or the Digs, so I replaced the Digs with Cruises, and the Jaces with some extra removal (currently three Reality Shifts, but subject to change; I'll see how the meta looks at the next Standard event (probably in a fortnight)); but I'm super excited to play this.

If you make any changes with the onset of Dragons, I'd love to hear about them.

The deck is fun but doesn't work when you forget Darksteel Citadels.

Last FNM was not so fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you only way to mill is from Anime Jace and Altar, you're much too slow. You will never be able to live long enough for this plan to work. Use Mesmeric Orb if you want an artifact. Replace Wall of Frost for Wall of Omens if you want defenders. Cut clones & Serra Angels because they aren't milling. Use Remand & Mana Leak for counterspells instead of the UUX ones.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does the Command target the Heroic creatures twice if you use it as a Hunt the Weak?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you think there are going to be alot of mirror matches, Eidolon becomes maindeckable. Just win the roll and you're in the driver's seat.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

Am I wrong to consider packing a few sideboard Seismic Ruptures for the Atarka Red deck in my Gr devotion? It kills nearly everything but doesn't take out your own Caryatids like Anger does.

You're gonna want Anger to stop Deathmist Raptor decks. Those things are catching on.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Iucounu posted:

Maybe around $50. Which cards would you cut?

I would turn that into a cheap Mono B Devotion build, splashing Green for Nyx Weaver and maybe Den Protector if you've got the money for them. Get some Grey Merchants, Doomwake Giants, and Whips of Erebos. The deck won't be around in October, but you still have 4 months, and all those parts are cheap.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Stop playing so many 1-ofs. Play 4x of good cards to make your deck more consistent. Don't play Collected Company unless all/most of your creatures can be found by it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Scepters are something like 8-10 each.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

qbert posted:

Yes, they were both fantastic. What I learned from the games I played is that triggering Tutelage is not really a big deal. You're going to be getting triggers off of Dictate/Siege/Epiphany as it is. It's actually much more important that you can find Tutelage itself and/or the fog you need to not die next turn, and those two cards are great at doing that.

Every time I actually found and resolved Tutelage, I felt so much more confident about winning the game. It's those times where it's T5 and I still haven't drawn the card that gives the biggest sweat.

Have you thought about Kruphix's Insight to dig for the enchantments? I know you're losing Fogs but if you need to start milling it finds you the pieces.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chamale posted:

I've always wanted to build a casual Bushi Tenderfoot deck, and I finally realized that I can use green fight effects like Dromoka's Command to easily flip him if my opponent plays a creature that's 1/2 or smaller. I figure I'll have about 12 fight spells, but I'll not always have Bushi Tenderfoot so I should find other white, green, or colourless creatures that like to take damage and deal damage. Any suggestions? I'm thinking, for starters, I want Hornet's Nest and Protean Hydra. Also, please suggest alternative ideas for easily flipping Bushi Tenderfoot.

Wouldn't fight effects mostly kill him unless he's already buffed? You need spells that deal damage to creatures equal to their power.

Epic Confrontation
Electropotence
Fall of the Hammer
Sinstriker's Will
Soul's Fire
Flesh//Blood

For other creatures, just make a RW Stuffy Doll/Spitemare/Boros Reckoner deck.

Deck: Modern Stuffy Doll Combo

//Main
4 Stuffy Doll
4 Spitemare
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Volcano Hellion
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Path to Exile
4 Blasphemous Act
2 Seismic Rupture
2 Pit Fight
4 Arid Mesa
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat
8 Mountain
4 Plains

Display deck statistics

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 27, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

2 damage is the sweet spot where it can kill weiners (elves, most burn creatures, affinity) while leaving your creatures alive. I'll probably switch to Pyroclasm or Volvanic Fallout actually, they'll work just as good. If I need to kill big dudes, that's what the Act is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bugsy posted:

Saw this over at SCG and it looks kinda sweet.

Not sure it ifs better than the ally rally, but being able to midrange people and not only be a combo deck seems fine.

I like the Butcher adds. It makes Just get to 6 mana and you can still be swinging for big hits hastily.

• Locked thread