Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

decypher posted:

My own opinion of Hipstamatic is that it takes great quality, high detail pictures with some really neat effects. You have a less fine tuned control over the outcome, but for me that's part of the appeal, actually. In fact, while I do have a handful my favorite combination of film/lenses(which you can save for easy access), I enjoy shaking the phone to get a random film/lens and just seeing what happens.

Hipstamatic can get costly cause they frequently release new lens and film combos that look amazing and you gotta own `em all. I've probably put $25 kbucks into Hipstamatic over the many, many, years I've owned it. I feel like its been worth it.

It comes with some great lens and films to get you started, but one will eventually want more.

I just want to chime in and agree with everything you've said here, I've purchased every add-on to Hipstamatic and will continue do so, they far-and-away have the best "hipster" filters for iOS. Some of their best paks are very subtle, you wouldn't suspect they came from that app. Unfortunately it seems like they've been kind of overtaken by these do-everything apps that add cheap, obvious filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah Hipstamatic is fantastic. I have every hipstapak too. Sometimes I like to just shake my phone and shoot, just for the fun of it.

You guys really ought to check our Oggl if you like Hipstamatic. It's like Instagram but better. Way better. It has literally zero spam and the content is of much higher quality, and it lets you edit existing photos with your hipstapaks. It's awesome.

Oggl is mind-blowing if you have a large collection of hipstapaks. I don't even open the app unless I've got a lot of free time as I'll lose an hour editing a handful of images.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

TheJoker138 posted:

Comic Book App Update: I tried out Chunky and while it was nice it couldn't do the organization stuff I like with subfolders and such, so I shelled out the $8 for Comic Rack. The way it scrapes Comic Vine is kind of clunky, but I've decided to just deal with it because the UI on the app is so good once it's all set up and working. Would highly recommend now since Comic Zeal poo poo the bed with the last update.

Do you still need the PC version for everything to work properly? Mac user here.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tuyop posted:

Camera+ is pretty much the gold standard.

I wouldn't say Camera+ is the gold standard so much as it has simply snowballed in popularity to the point where no one can catch up in name recognition. ProCamera 8 is one example of a much more versatile and powerful camera app. There are several others if you look.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Any recommendations for a simple app to edit videos? Mostly just trimming them down and such. I find iMovie to be particularly cumbersome to do anything with.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Question for Feedly users: A recent update for some reason turned off the in-app browser, and if you click through after article previews it now opens the link in Safari or Chrome. Is there any way to get the in-app browser back?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tuyop posted:

In the left hamburger menu scroll down to settings and select your favourite browser.

I'm not sure what the issue is because mine opens both inline and the visit website links in the safari in-app browser. Unless that's what you mean, in which case, why would you want to go back to the lovely old in app browser?

Yeah, actually that is what I mean. There's a definite reason but I'll save you the complicated explanation. Not sure why the in-app browser is gone however.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
This week I realized Overcast doesn't support video podcasts and was unreasonably upset that I had to add the Apple podcast app to my home screen...

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone use the sleep app Pillow? It seems to be one of the only Apple Watch apps that actually uses the accelerometer (Sleep Cycle for instance requires the phone by your bed and watch support is simply stop and snooze).

Anyways, the "smart wake-up" feature has never once worked for me. It wakes me up at the exact time I set my alarm. All settings seem correct, ideas?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tuyop posted:

I use it but just for sleep tracking. The one time I did use the smart wake it seemed to work as intended and rang about 15 minutes before my alarm time. Maybe you’re just dead asleep before it rings?

Haha, you know looking at my sleep tracking it seems like I am usually pretty down there.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Yeah. Interestingly enough, it woke me at 6:58am today, a full two-minutes before schedule. Guess it's working fine I just sleep like a rock early mornings.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Hell they're on Tweetbot 5 (!) and the first one still works fine for me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there no way to repeat a song via the stock Music app? Even my freaking Apple Watch allows for that.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Endless Mike posted:

On the playing screen, scroll up.

Many thanks my friend.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Chinook posted:

I have a daily alarm that wakes me up on my phone. Some days I get up before the alarm goes off, so I would like to be able to jump into the shower without the alarm going off while I'm in the shower. However, that requires toggling the entire alarm off, and then going back in and turning it back on at some point.

On Android there was a little notification that said "you have an upcoming alarm at 6:00am" or whatever, and I could just silence it ahead of time.

It doesn't look like there's a way to do this with the stock iOS Clock alarm. Any apps which do this? Basically saying "yeah, I'm up", ahead of time, but keeping the daily alarm on. :)

Can't help you with the iPhone, but if you have an Apple Watch it does this.

You are someone in need of an Apple Watch.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 20, 2019

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xzzy posted:

Watches are actually super rad now. But I wouldn't wear one to bed.

I wake up at my lightest sleep cycle via Auto Wake for maximum wakefullness and it's brilliant. The sleep data it collects via Apple Watch haptics is insane.

I'll be damned if I'm putting my phone on the bed for half those benefits (looking at you Sleep Cycle).

Or using an alarm like a normal person.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lazyhound posted:

I found sleep tracking to be counter-productive because it made me have to consciously think about going to sleep.

With AutoSleep and AutoWake everything is done without any user action (save for stopping the alarm). So once a week I check my stats and know if I'm carrying a debt or not (both by hours and percentage of my goal). If I am I try to catch up a bit. And if I'm like 50% ahead of my goal I know to quit being a lazy dipshit.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FCKGW posted:

Sleep Cycle hasn’t required you put the phone on the bed for a couple years now. They do everything through the microphone now.

I bet that has sent accuracy through the roof...

For anyone that doesn't sleep alone, Sleep Cycle is worthless. For anyone that does sleep alone, it's still nearly worthless. They've even gone so far as to create an Apple Watch app that doesn't bother to use the watch for anything but stopping the alarm.

Motion sensing and heart rate are key to increasing accuracy.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xzzy posted:

All consumer sleep trackers are pretty much poo poo if you dig into the research on how they do what they do. You take any conclusions the software makes into a doctor's office to talk about your sleep quality and they're gonna be all "uh no we're gonna hook you up to a machine that records your sleep before we try to fix anything."

Nothing is going to stand up to proper sleep study, but if you look into the science behind what some of the better ones are doing it's solid science.

You can go all-out and buy a dedicated sleep tracking device (Beddit, Emfit, etc.) for about as close as you'll get without a clinic.

The Apple Watch apps AutoSleep and Auto Wake are by far the best sleep trackers available on the app store, relying on actual movement and heart rate to qualify sleep.

Trash like Sleep Cycle which just listens for ambient noise gives the better choices a bad name.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

dc3k posted:

Sleep Cycle has motion detection. That used to be the only option. I think when they added the snore recordings thing they set microphone as the recommended method

Yeah when it's on the bed. The crazy thing is they've got an Apple Watch app that doesn't use the more accurate motion available. It's simply an on/off switch.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got Background App Refresh off for Overcast yet it's showing 45% background activity. How do I turn this off?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have it set to sync to your watch (assuming you have one)?

I don't but I sure as hell checked, lots of apps gently caress up your battery like that.

tuyop posted:

Pretty sure that’s just what it records energy usage as when it’s playing podcasts in the background. You can reduce this by turning off the silence cancelling feature and stuff.

This must be it. I probably listened to about that length of podcasts yesterday.

Thanks to both of you.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I know there's a goon-recommended app for room/floor planning, but the name escapes me... Any help?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Reposting this because the original has literally disappeared from the thread and my posting history: Both ismoothrun and Runkeeper on my Apple Watch keep stopping their audio cues after several uses. I've reinstalled both multiple times and keeps happening. It's infuriating. Any ideas?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Alec Eiffel posted:

I use SwiftKey. It's good.

I've been using SwiftKey forever; IME it works a lot better than Gboard. But now that iOS has built-in swiping I'm considering just swapping to that unless it's missing some features SwiftKey has...

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Are people not using Chrome? Am I am idiot for using it? It just syncs will so many things I use, and I'm actually an Apple diehard.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

astral posted:

e: Does Chrome iOS even support content blockers yet? Browsing without one is just...gross.

It has a built-in blocker.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Weedle posted:

It does not on iOS.

I don't use it much, only on several sites that I check and sync stories to Google at home. I might only be checking sites that I sub to (my most visited sites), I'll have to check. It would explain why I never see ads.

LPG Giant posted:

And I'm guessing it lets ads through that are what Google deems 'Acceptable ads'?

Don't all of the Safari blockers have white lists now? Or are there some that are actually legit on the App Store?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
e: double post

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

LPG Giant posted:

I use 1blocker/Safari on iOS and never see any ads. I use Wipr on MacOS/Safari and never see any ads.

gently caress ads.

Yeah Google does a stellar job of tracking your browsing behavior, developing a detailed profile and selling that to other companies to make big profits.

Hey I agree with all this, but I need to be able to sync sites from my iPhone to my Mac in my work. Do these other combos sync? And Apple is like one rung down on the evil scale from Google.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Data Graham posted:

Are you asking whether Safari on Mac syncs with Safari on iOS?

Because uh... yes?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Safari on Mac is bested by several other browsers. I imagine most people that are half-way computer literate are using Chrome or something else.

I mean is there any other options (other than the inferior Safari) which will sync your tabs between the iPhone and Mac.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Crime on a Dime posted:

Sounds like you've got it all figured out

I don't whatsoever. The only thing I'm interested in is if there is an alternative to Google (other than Safari which is your worst choice at home) that will sync tabs between your iPhone and your Mac.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

LPG Giant posted:

What does Apple do that makes you think they are evil?

Got any sources on how Safari is inferior? Here is one comparison where Safari wins out: Battery life. In this guys' tests it the battery lasts about 50% longer when browsing using Safari vs Chrome. https://daringfireball.net/2017/05/safari_vs_chrome_on_the_mac#fn2-2017-05-24

Only the what, seven year history of slavery, and associated suicides, that they outsource to China?

I'm not concerned about whether Safari or Chrome makes for a better iPhone app. I NEED to be able to sync my iPhone tabs with my home Mac and Safari is a terrible choice to use as your home browser.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Weedle posted:

Firefox. Safari with 1Blocker is the best browsing experience on iOS, though.

I check out Firefox. I used to use Firefox on the Mac to great experience. Thanks! edit: also thanks to forum poster Reality.

If you don't think Apple is Walmart-tier despicable I don't even know what to tell you. They're probably actually worse. And again, I'm an all-in Apple guy despite that (save for Safari because it's objectively not one of the best browsers on Macs).

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 10, 2020

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

LPG Giant posted:

That's fair, but the only solution is to stop buying all tech products. All laptops/smartphones are made under bad working conditions.

Totally agree with you.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Montalvo posted:

I tried browsing on my iPhone with all of the big three browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox) and Safari is definitely the smoothest and most comfortable option, so I'll probably stick to using that and use the free version of 1Blocker, since I don't actually browse very heavily on my phone. On my Macbook I'll stick to using Chrome, only because there's a few Chrome extensions that I like to use and I don't like that Safari's pinned tabs are duplicated across all open windows.

So to that end, is there a third-party way to sync your Safari tabs Crime?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FCKGW posted:

Firefox is great and the MacOS/Windows versions recently added a always-on-top popout video feature which is rad.

Don't all iOS browsers still use the Safari rendering engine?

Firefox is indeed great; it had been awhile since I used it on my Mac. I'll give it a week of use, and probably switch over from Chrome.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The Dave posted:

Jesus christ.

I didn't want to be the one to say it. It had to be said though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sri.Theo posted:

I use Feedly but it’s a bit annoying because it needs to refresh before you can read old articles- so it sucks when you’re on a plane or underground train.

I thought everyone these days turned their cellular service on as soon as the flight took off. Or am I the rear end in a top hat responsible for the last few fatal plane crashes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

MarcusSA posted:

I want whatever cell service you have that works at 30,000ft.

I haven't used my phone extensively on planes, but once I can see Japan from my window I always turn it on. I suppose we've already descended a fair amount by then. Maybe thirty minutes until landing?

But I've also used it continuously on domestic flights here without issue. :confused: