Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Pissflaps posted:

I use flipboard a lot but one thing i'm not sure about : is it possible to aggregate multiple sources into one of their 'magazines'? I can only see how to add individual stories.

edit: Feedly looks a lot better than I remember, might just switch to that as it seems to do what I want. Never have used the social aspects of flipboard.

Any source you bookmark end up showing up in your 'cover stories' flow. That's pretty much the only way I've found to aggregate sources for new content rather than picking stories. I mostly use Flipboard to follow long form article sources as I think it does a better job showing twitter feeds (and I just like the way they look and handle there).

I use Feedly for everything else. Feedly is pretty slick now, I think. It had some growing pains after Reader shut down, but now it's my favourite of the RSS readers. Might be worth throwing in the OP if others feel similarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

answersyouseek posted:

Any recommendations on news apps?

As mentioned above, Flipboard is pretty good. If you're just looking for news by category its nice for that, and you can add twitter feeds as well. I like the physical act of swiping and reading the articles, it just feels good.

If you're a RSS person Feedly is my favourite RSS reader, but other people have their preferences. If you read RSS on your desktop as well Feedly has a good website and syncs beautifully with the app.

Yahoo has an app called News Digest that is okay. Twice a day (on a timer you can set) you get sent 8-12 or so of the top stories for your region (i.e. Canada, US, etc.). You get a couple of paragraphs and a picture or two of what is going on, with links (wikipedia, twitter, etc.) to find out more at the end of the article. It has a clean, simple UI that is easy to navigate. Currently pissing me off due to bugs, though: I'll get a notification that there are new stories available, but when I click the notification to open the app it's still the previous time's news and I have to force close the app to refresh it (which only works sometimes). I'm a baby.

If you like reading long magazine-style articles, Longform collects articles of that style and presents them in a clean, sophisticated looking reader. You can follow specific authors and/or publishers, or just read the curated staff picks. Personally I found it easier just to add Longform to my Flipboard feeds and read the articles there instead, but the app is pretty and is good for discovering new sources of articles to read.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Check the Weather (data from forecast.io) just updated with its own widget now:

I like the data they chose to put up there but holy hell is it big.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

The only thing I don't like about Overcast is there are only two states for any podcast: on your device or not. I wish there was some kind of "previously played" status for podcasts that have been listened to and deleted. When you're going through the back catalogue of a podcast it is handy to know at a glance which ones you've heard without having to dive into program descriptions.

Otherwise Overcast is great. The Smart Speed is cool (23 hours saved for me) and it stays longer in memory (so I can resume from the control centre) than any other podcast app I've tried.

Edit: the push functionality is fantastic as well, which was one of my bigger peeves with Downcast.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Dark Sky worth 4 bucks? Is it as hyper accurate as it purports to be?

EDIT: Everything I've read says that Dark Sky gets its information from forecast.io

What does the app give me that I can't get from the forecast.io webapp? Does the paid app give me more info?

Dark Sky is more focused on what the next hour will be like and predicting imminent precipitation. You can set it to send you alerts, which you can't do with the web app. Dark Sky has a widget if you're into that kind of thing.

Dark Sky and forecast.io are the same people so there is a lot of overlap. I'm not in a region supported by Dark Sky yet so I can't vouch for the to-the-minute accuracy. The long term predictions are fairly hit or miss, but I suppose most are.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Anyone care to tell me why they like overcast over downcast? Downcast is so customizable.

Smart Speed. Push. It's prettier (at least to my taste). Push. Voice Boost is cool, but I don't recall if there is anything similar in Downcast. Having Push is nice, did I mention that? (I was having real problems with Downcast grabbing episodes before I left the house in the morning.) I actually discovered a lot of cool podcasts through the recommendation pages and the Twitter recommendations.

I guess I also don't need a lot of customization, I just like to listen to podcasts.

Edit: neither one supports grocery lists, unfortunately

Edit2: no weather widgets either, I checked

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 28, 2014

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Anyone have a good podcast app? Apple's Podcast app just seems to do boring things like "plays my favorite podcasts" and "remembers my spot in podcasts so I can listen later." I want my podcast app do more exciting things than these things. Thanks in advance

That depends, how do you feel about anime boobs?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

To confirm, you are saying you can fully customize the widget? Or just the app stuff? This might be MY JAM!

Yeah, it has a separate settings section for the widget. Here is mine, a little smaller than the other one posted:

If all you wanted was a text forecast, you can do that too:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is Serial 52 episodes or does it end at the end of the year? I can't imagine there is much story left but she just keeps pulling our more riveting poo poo.

The original plan was for 12 episodes, but since they are making them as they go along there are no guarantees.

Does anyone else find certain podcasts ending a minute or so early with Overcast? The most recent episode of On The Media had this problem.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Snowy posted:

I'm curious about Smart Speed but I mostly listen to comedy podcasts which seem like they might not benefit from time crunching. I feel like everything will end up sounding overly edited like You Look Nice Today.

Are the cuts noticeable enough that it's generally not worth messing with the timing?

There are some podcasts I really don't notice it at all and some I turn it off for. Best thing to do is download the app and use the free five minute chunks to see for yourself.

For those that don't know, Smart Speed doesn't just trim out silences wholesale. It reduces silences proportionally, so longer silences are still longer than shorter silences. At least 20% of the silence is always there. So it may not sound as 'off' as you might fear. You can also have different SS settings remembered for each podcast. Even if you turn SS off, you still get Voice Boost and push, so it's all good.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My only gripe is that when I open the app back up after I'm either in another app or my phone is locked, it doesn't seem to auto-refresh and I don't know how to refresh it. Like right now, it's 8:07 and it says "Reported at 7:43PM", which is what it said like 15 minutes ago too. But maybe that particular weather station only refreshes at intervals like every 30 minutes or every hour or something like that? If that's the case, then that's not a gripe. I've just only been using it for a few hours and not completely sure how it works yet.

If you hit the hamburger icon in the top left you can pull down on the locations to force a refresh. Not sure if that will do anything if the station reports periodically. Mine eventually auto refreshes a moment after opening the app.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've had luck with password protected podcasts (Giantbomb specifically) by inserting the username and password into the URL.

Something like:

code:

[url]http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/[/url]

Thanks for this. I've been meaning to figure this out but hadn't gotten around to it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Overcast is my current favourite. Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and push updates are all things I would have a hard time living without.

Also it's the most orange.

On am unrelated note, I've been using nintype for a little while now and now that I'm used to it I actually like it quite a bit. I like being able to correct words a couple of words behind the current one without having to move the cursor. I always found that Swiftkey did not play nice with the tags in the awful app anyhow.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Apparently Marco has been working on the Overcast web player recently. It has speed controls now (though not Smart Speed yet) and time skip options that match your app settings. Search and adding podcasts are coming.

My main issue is not having playlists carry over. I spend silly amounts of time curating my main playlist, abandoning that would make me confront how I'm wasting that time.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

CygnusTM posted:

I know this in an old post, but Yahoo Weather gets its info from Weather Channel, not WU.

Maybe it's different in other countries, but I'm in Canada and there's a Weather Underground logo in the forecast section. I think you can see it in the screenshots on the App page.

I actually re-downloaded the app to check out of curiosity (I've been using BeWeather) and I notice Yahoo Weather has prominent ads now. Booooo Yahoo Weather.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

That is really weird, I use yahoo weather and have never seen s single ad on it.

It was a big ad for the Yahoo News Digest app, so maybe its just a cross promotional thing. In fairness to the Weather app I only opened it once, so it might be a one time thing. I still really like the Yahoo Weather app (especially the look of it), I just like BeWeather more.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Now you swipe left or right, instead of long/short. You can define which does what (including delete, archive, schedule, move, etc) in Swipe Options.

It was long/short in Acompli, so I'm assuming the screenshot was from a transitional version.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

It's worth remembering that Smart Speed doesn't eliminate pauses but reduces them proportionally. The pauses don't go away, they are just shorter (no shorter than 20% of the original pause). So cadence can still exist. If it sounds weird, just turn it off for that podcast. It's mostly useful for less professionally produced podcasts, like your average "dudes riffing on bad movies" casts. It's bad for music based shows or storytelling where pauses are more deliberate. The app remembers your preference per podcast, so it's no big deal.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I spent some time flipping between Smart Speed and unmodified listening when I first downloaded the app. I honestly think that the "flavour" of the speech isn't lost as much as some worry about, or in fact at all in many cases. If it wasn't proportional (like, say a straight speed increase or just pause elimination) I would have a problem with it, but for a good percentage of what I listen to it works. Again, I suppose it depends on what you're listening to and why. I just don't think you're losing as much conversational fidelity as all that, though.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I will say, as much as I like Overcast, the current version is annoying me. I tend to just throw all my podcasts onto a master playlist in a mix of old and new, fiddling with the order as I go. Recently it stopped remembering most of the changes I make to the order. It's such a little dumb thing but for some reason I find it irritating.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I guess I could just wait until the new version comes out. Or is there a different podcast app you guys use that's more stable? Since this ain't exactly the best first impression.

Downcast is my second favourite podcast app, after Overcast. It doesn't have true 'push', however, just periodic checking.

If you feel like being patient, wait until Overcast's new version comes out with the fixes. Since the app launched last year this is the only version I've had any real problem with, and its been updated nine times since launch. I think you got stuck with bad timing. That doesn't mean the new version will be perfect but it's supposed to fix the new issues.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

The good news: Overcast just updated, supposedly fixing the sync bugs.

The bad news: it starts downloading "some" deleted podcasts, which in my case was 100+. It's a one time thing apparently, but keep an eye on it when you update.

The update also includes "Nitpicky Details" in the settings menu. The cool thing I found in there is the ability to stop the three button remote thing on the earpods from skipping whole podcasts when I'm just trying to skip 30 seconds when wearing gloves.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Overcast has a really bad problem of forgetting whenever I re-order my playlist of what's coming next and just spit it back into chronological order, but otherwise I like it.

This annoys me to no end, but I like the app enough that I deal with it anyhow. I find that if you force close the app after re-ordering and re-open it, it will maintain the new playlist order.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

I suspect it has to do with syncing the playlist from the web/server version of Overcast, and possibly with doing so with poor cellular reception.

I agree you're probably right with the former, but as to the latter: my anecdotal experience is that I have the same problems whether I'm on my home wifi, work wifi, or over LTE downtown in a major Canadian city. There definitely does seem to be a syncing issue, but in my experience it doesn't relate to my connection, at least not in an obvious way.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

The one feature I want, and would happily pay for, is the ability to get a decent notification system for when new episodes are available for podcasts. The default app seems to only order podcasts as you've ordered them manually and they stay that way. I'd like to open my app and see which podcasts have newest episodes at the top of the list, or have the option to be notified outside the app when a podcast pushes out a new episode.

Really, any of the third party apps will sort by date and provide notifications (usually on a podcast by podcast basis if that matters, even). Some (Overcast and Pocket Casts, other I assume) can push new podcasts as they are released, rather than checking on a schedule. I haven't used the native app for a while so I don't know what it's capable of.

Downcast has a ton of options for playlists, including manual sorting, sorting by date, and/or sorting by podcast priority. It doesn't have push (or at least it didn't when I used it), but it will still notify you when new episodes are downloaded. It also doesn't seem to combine manual sorting and date sorting very well as I recall.

I personally don't like the way Pocket Casts handles 'playlists', but it does have date sorting and push notifications.

I know you said you didn't like Overcast, but I like the way it handles playlists the most. You pick which podcasts are automatically added to whatever playlist, and whether they automatically go to the top or bottom. You can assign some podcasts as priority (it's a binary choice, on or off) but you can still arrange them afterwards to your heart's content. It also has push functionality. I don't remember off hand which features are behind the paid upgrade, though.

I personally just have one big playlist in Overcast with whatever (back episodes of a variety of podcasts, usually) and new subscribed episodes just get added to the top of the list as I go. When I'm running low I'll download a few back episodes of this or that podcast and mix them into the list. I listen to a bazillion podcasts, though, so normal people may not care as much.

I always expect any question about podcast apps in the app thread to be ironic or whatever at this point so if I missed the joke just pretend I wrote something about weather widgets.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're kind of losing me a bit with the whole Playlists functionality. In Overcast, I subscribe to playlists and they are in a certain order. I just want a little notification popup to say "New episode of Startup available now!" or whatever as it auto-downloads while I'm on wifi. Or when I open the app, it orders my subscribed podcasts by which ones have the most recent episodes.

Yeah, you're in good shape then. Pretty much any of the third party apps have you covered. Order by newest is pretty standard across the board as well as notifications through the usual iOS processes (banners/alerts/whatever). Some will put the number of un-listened episodes as a badge on the icon. The usual favourite apps are Overcast, Pocket Casts, and Downcast -- you'd probably do fine with any of them.

I'm fairly surprised that the default app doesn't cover those bases as they are pretty much ubiquitous everywhere else.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It pretty much never comes up in the discussion here, but it's what I used because it worked with the paid (passworded) podcast I subscribed to and had iOS / OSX sync. That sucks. :(

An update just came out like two or three days ago, too.

Now I don't know what to use. I have paid for Overcast but it doesn't work with passworded podcasts well and the web client sync was terrible.

Not sure if this is what you mean by Overcast not working "well", but it's possible to put your login credentials in the feed address by manual adding the URL and doing something like "http://username:password@https://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/". It's far from ideal, but it's something.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Lady Gaza posted:

Is anyone getting sync problems with Overcast? I've still got Downcast on my phone and it's getting new episodes fine, but Overcast just won't synchronise.

All of my Friday podcasts seem to be syncing just fine.

On a related note, apparently Marco has fixed the playlist manual reorder bug and it should be hitting a future update. (Supposedly it's a pretty deep fix so it'll take a lot of testing, but at least it's coming.)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

tuyop posted:

Where does overcast show the total time saved by using smart speed?

It's in the settings, at the bottom. It won't show up until it has a little time built up, though. Or at least it didn't before.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I can't find my perfect mailbox replacement.

The main problem I have is that for some reason none of them seem to give you the option of deleting or archiving with a different swipe action. Sometimes I want to quickly archive a message, sometimes i want to quickly get rid of it. I've tried Outlook and Swift and Boxer and mail.app and Gmail.app and Inbox and Dashlane as far as I can tell none of them offer this seemingly simple thing. Have I missed something somewhere?

Apart from that they all have various quirks I don't like: Outlook wastes my time with calendaring and contacts, Swift is messy, Inbox too quirky, Gmail swipes are weird.

Basically I just want to keep using Mailbox. gently caress you dropbox.

Unless I'm missing something, Outlook does this? You can set a left swipe and a right swipe to delete, archive, mark read/unread, schedule, move, etc.. Sounds like you have other problems with it, though.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Best mindfulness app?

I tried a bunch of them and I like buddhify. There are a lot of contextual meditations that I find pleasant and easy to listen to, including sleeping, coming down from stress, walking around, quick breaks, or just quiet meditation. The cost is all up front too -- there are no subscription fees or anything like that after the fact. The design is cool, colourful and functional. There really isn't a lot of teaching to the app, just guided meditations. I've never delved into the stats pages because I don't much care about them, so I can't speak to that side of the app.

I know a lot of people think having an app for mindfulness defeats the point and there is probably something to that, but whatever. I like having a 15 minute break from life and having a calm voice to encourage and talk me through it. It helps keep me in the moment since I'm not very good at doing it on my own yet. And yes, I recognize the irony there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

I've been having a problem with reminders on my phone and I figure this is the best place to ask.

I have an iPhone and iPad. I have iCloud turned on for reminders. I only create reminders on my phone, but for some reason I recently started getting the notifications on ONLY the ipad. They used to work on both devices, but now nothing at all on the phone. It will show the reminder as past due if I go into the reminders app, but there is never a notification. My geotag based reminders also seem to not be working any more.

What is up with my reminders? Has anyone dealt with this before?

I've been having a similar problem, iPhone only. When I make the reminder through another app (Fantastical) it seems to work fine, but through the Reminders app I'm encountering the same as you. Unfortunately I don't have a solution yet.