Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

Actually most of the folks I see supporting term limits are OWS/Redditor-style liberals who get their news fix from a mixture of MSNBC, The Daily Show and HuffPo.

Same people who were anti-pork without realizing that pork barrel spending is the carrot to many politicians' carrot-and-stick political dealing in Washington. One of the many reasons we're in a political age of puritanical idealism and every-bill-is-a-game-of-chicken.

It's scary when you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

In Laos you can drink Laos, and pay for it in Laos!

Aaaah, Gurp-gork. *nods sagely*

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Debbie Wasserman-Schultz isn't terribly charismatic either. The media has done a fantastic hatchet-job playing up just how shrill she can get and putting her in the most negative light possible.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

That the #gamersgate poo poo actually got Intel to pull ads from Gamasutra for running articles criticizing gamer culture, as well as establishment support from the AEI, is sad enough that it's worth discussing.

Especially since the whole movement is entirely people who never grew up from the self-absorbed phase where it seems like defending video games is an urgent and worthy cause. Well, that and people who are explicitly using it to attack "SJW"s.

I keep seeing this, and apparently missed it entirely. What the hell is gamergate? Is it that poo poo with Sarkeesian?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

I never complain about derails in this thread, but this time I'm going to say please, please let's not go there. There's a thread in GBS to talk about it, if you're interested.

I can see the problem with a derail, but good lord GBS isn't a place to talk about anything remotely self-conscious.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

HOLY poo poo! I just found out what Happy Merchant is. I thought this poo poo didn't happen outside of FYAD :ughh:

I've seen a few GBS posters with Happy Merchant av's.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

silvergoose posted:

On the opposite end, Hearthstone has zero player communication, voice or otherwise, except for a set series of six emotes. And people *still* manage to be shitheads about it!

These sorts of things are why I mainly play games that are single player only, even if games like Team Fortress 2 or Diablo 3 are most fun played with other people.

As an aside, if someone wants to make an IRC channel or steam group for casual gaming without getting pissed at people for not being "good enough", let me know.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Professional baseball, Soccer, golf and tennis should all be desegregated. Any of the non-contact sports.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

silvergoose posted:

How is soccer not a contact sport?

There's no checking or tackling (slide tackles aren't the same), so size and brute force are less of an issue. Some Women's Soccer teams should and could beat men's teams.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, sure. Just like baseball doesn't involve speed or strength.

Are you saying that women are incapable of competing on a professional level? I don't agree with you if that's the case.

I don't think the level of contact in soccer should preclude women from competing.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Women from the current system, where they have less support, less training and overall less opportunity, you're not seeing the best of the best.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

The Williams sisters are not the best of the best? They have less support, less training and overall less opportunity than the guy ranked 203 in men's tennis?

They're the best of our current system, yes. But they may not be the best of a system which treats men and women, boys and girls equally from the get-go.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

All possibly true, but none of it changes the fact that Burr stands and shoots like an incredible dickhole twat.

I don't think it was possible for the aristocracy to not stand like an incredible dickhole twat.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

McAlister posted:

It works for all out groups. Self-hating Jew, self hating gay, self hating minority. Back when left handedness was widely reviled as indicating a sinister nature there were probably self hating left handed people.

Even if it isn't exactly an out group, I've definitely sighed in disdain and futility at family or neighbors who are living white-trash stereotypes. I can only imagine how angry it must make folks from actual out groups.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

This is a terrible slog of an article written by the most sheltered individual I've ever even heard of. "Oh, you don't really care about anyone who is actually oppressed, you're really just trying to score "Blue Team" Points". "Conservatives aren't really racist, misogynist, creationist, islamophobic, homophobic assholes, they just don't like the "Blue Team" those people are aligned with". "Intolerance of my intolerance is intolerance." :fuckoff:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

Funny that he predicted all of those responses and even said "I'm doing the same thing because I'm not criticizing my actual in group (Jews, in this case)".

Predicting responses doesn't invalidate anything. My "In group" is my goddamn family. I grew up and became an rear end in a top hat of a Republican until about 2006. So yes, I'm aware of what and how they think and I can be embarrassed at the racist, homophobic and worst of all woefully wrong chain letter bullshit that they will believe from just about any source. When it's people you care about saying these things, yes, it does effect you. But your smug "hah ha, take that liberals" bullshit is just that.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

If you think of "rich privileged rear end in a top hat" who do you think of after Wall Street executives?

Plastic surgeons. Corporate executives of any stripe. Corporate lawyers. Landlords. Any 20-40 year old aggressive white male in a suit with a Bluetooth.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

Are you playing the liberal version of me?

Not really, no. I encounter these guys in my company pretty often. They're all from marketing or sales, and sweet christ are they the most smug motherfuckers to ever roam the planet. To a one, they act like they're in a frat. The topics of discussion (which you have no choice but to hear about, as speaking to each other or into their bluetooths at anything but a yell is apparently not an option) range from their golf game, to their new watch, to how much (insert "girl" here) wants them.

Mind you, this is a phenomenon I only see in that particular area of the company. Suits or Bluetooths are standard in other areas as well, but folks are usually not remotely as aggressive or loud. I've only seen white guys among them, and nobody over 40.

Anybody else run into this kind of schmuck?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

jealous beta male

:laffo:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, by all means let's take issue with the assertion that people in sales and marketing are aggressive dillholes with no capacity for introspection. AIM FOR VICTORY IN THE BATTLE YOUVE CHOSEN.

It's fantastic, he even said "Beta Male".

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
God, highschool sex-ed. Our class had the misfortune of our teacher being a very attractive young woman who loved low cut shirts and taught proper sex-ed with a straight face. Most of us were beet red from start to finish, trying very hard to not get called out for a hard-on in class.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

The same way we do in America? "We control it now so gently caress the rest of you."

If my Aussie friend is any indication, it's: "Fukkin' Abbos."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
If DARE had any lasting effect on me, it was playing on my anxiety issues by convincing me that the moment I try to relax and smoke some weed with friends, a loving narcotics agent would step out from behind a potted plant and arrest me. Only for a judge to be up for reelection, and make an example of me to look tough on drugs.

I was a hosed up kid.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

That's why piss tests happen most frequently on Monday mornings.

What people do on the weekend, on their own time should be nobodies goddamn business.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

*Wet fart*

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Well Ted is just asking for it at this point.

(Wait is it gestapo-like to want to 'get rid' of elite conservative nutjobs?)

Nah, more like the Committee of Public Safety.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

Politifact throws leftists under the bus about as much as Jon Stewart, which is to say JUST often enough to seem non-partisan, when it's pretty obvious that both are liberal hacks who enjoy attacking conservatives at a higher volume than liberals (which isn't to say they attack them unfairly, they're just partisan in their focus on conservatives-saying-stupid-poo poo versus liberals-saying-stupid-poo poo).

Jumping around like you're Yosemite Sam, ranting about Urban Ferals to a group of armed supporters tends to be a lot more newsworthy then some hippy pining to nobody in particular over our use of coal.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

William Bear posted:

Game over, man!

Today Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) performed his yearly ritual in which he invokes some of the wasteful spending he wants to cut. Not surprisingly, most of it is NSF non-applied science grants on things that sound funny if you don't think about them, or any government spending on the arts.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/22/government-waste-includes-swedish-massages-rabbits/

My favorite example of this kind of thing happened last year, courtesy of Eric Cantor inspiring millions of nerds around the country:

You know, at least the man is going after things that appear to be an utter waste of funds, rather than openly attacking medicare or food stamps. Progress!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Chamale posted:

They only appear to be, though. That study on massages found results that are going to reduce injuries and improve recovery time for athletes and improve physical therapy, saving millions of dollars annually in healthcare spending.

I'm not saying that I agree with Coburn, just that it tends to be worse from just about any other Republican.

Though to be honest, Swedish massages on Rabbits seems pretty goddamn stupid on its face. Why wouldn't we just use voluntary (hell, even paid) human testing?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

nutranurse posted:

How can you look at that face and say "no, I find you ugly and repulsive."

Little fuckers pinch at your toes in the murky water. Don't let the cute face fool you.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Re: Christie's quarantine AKA quaranchristie-gate:

Is "soft on Ebola" the new "pro-amnesty"?

"My opponent thinks that putting Ebola-backs in so called "quarantine" is enough to stop their wanton spread across our glorious FREEDOM. He's too afraid of the LIBERAL MEDIA to take the stand we need, and set them on fire in mobile disposal units. As Governor, I promise to burn the Ebola-backs and protect your FREEDOM."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

Forget about Obama, now ISIS is gonna grab your guns.

"Rioters". Jesus Christ.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Lots of people hated Tipper because of the parental advisory stickers.

This is primarily what led my 18 year old self to vote for George Bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
How about just: "gently caress Republicans"? If someone's enough of an rear end in a top hat to actively work against other folks for a few tax cuts, gently caress 'em.

• Locked thread