Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I've been enjoying this show, no real complaints, but for some reason this episode threw a switch in me or something. I absolutely hate Sekai. He's the worst possible character to build a show around. His fighting style is just punching and kicking. Aside from the occasional bits of cleverness, like jumping off Plavsky particles or the first time he did the phoenix, his fights aren't interesting or surprising or novel at all. And since he's the best fighter in the team and the main character, that basically applies to all the fights. Even if the bad guys do something clever, Sekai's just gonna yell and punch them when it's time for the fight to be over. The assimilation thing is such a cheap, dumb way to try to introduce some drama into Sekai yelling and punching the bad guy to end the fight. When his hand got all hosed up I thought, "oh cool, his hand's gonna be hurt for at least the next fight, he's gonna have to come up with a new thing to do, like maybe yelling and kicking" but nope, he just got Anime Disease and had to spend the rest of the episode napping.

Which wouldn't be so bad if he was a better character outside of fights. Instead he doesn't have an arc or change or grow, he doesn't play off the other characters well, all the comedy comes from other characters, but he's too goofy to even be an effective straight man. All the girls around are crushing on him, but he doesn't notice or respond at all so all that potential drama or comedy is just sucked into Sekai's charisma black hole.

Sekai would be good as a side character. He would actually be great as a side character, the episode where the theoretical other main character has to deal with a super skilled G-Gundam style martial artist would be a lot of fun. But instead the whole show is dragged down because it's chained itself to such a dull, limited character.

The worst part is that Build Fighters Try isn't even bad. It's fine. It's fun, it has some good character, some funny jokes, some neat designs, good music, it's a perfectly acceptable Gundam show. But it could be a hell of a lot better.

It's hilarious in retrospect how many people were all, "Even if Reconguista in G turns out terrible, at least Build Fighters Try will be good!" and now Try is shaping up to be one of the most forgettable Gundam shows, and Reconguista is shaping up to be the best Gundam series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I'm absolutely right.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair "guys who are working really hard in poo poo robots vs the trust fund kid in the super suit" describes most Gundam shows besides like... ZZ Gundam.

Judau earned the ZZ Gundam. He had to steal it like three times, all the other Gundam pilots only had to steal their Gundams once.

BlitzBlast posted:

I think at this point Sekai has thrown more finishers than regular punches/kicks.

Kind of ruins the point of a finisher.

He's done the phoenix twice, right? And killed nobody with it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The backstory of the Build Burning is so completely nonsensical I almost don't want to criticize it, because it's hard to believe they could write something like that and not mean it as a "Ramba Ral just shows up when Gundam fights happen" style joke.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom posted:

The backstory of the Build Burning is so completely nonsensical I almost don't want to criticize it, because it's hard to believe they could write something like that and not mean it as a "Ramba Ral just shows up when Gundam fights happen" style joke.

Actually, completely setting aside the story behind Build Burning not making sense, can we talk about how badly it fucks over Sei? At the end of season 1 Sei finds out he's developed world-class control skills without realizing it. His relationship with Reiji ends on that note, basically. He can fight on his own now, he doesn't need to rely on Reiji anymore.

It turns out that Sei basically ignored all that. He didn't build a Gunpla for himself, he just built a new Gunpla for Reiji, even using that Gunpla in the world tournament, I guess so that he could test it and refine it and perfect it for Reiji. And when he finally accepted that Reiji wasn't coming back, he sealed that Gunpla away and stopped battling competitively.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A) You're really loving dumb.
B) It's totally possible and entirely probably that he did not spend 100% of the past 7 years building a robot for Reiji. Hell, in the epilogue of BF he had a new unit for himself. He probably just built something for Reiji as a gift on the side for when he came back. It's absolutely stupid to even entertain the idea that Sei has been doing Gunpla related poo poo this entire time without the BB.

He didn't build it on the side, he used it in the world tournament. He fought in the world tournament with a Gunpla he meant for Reiji, instead of one he built for himself. Wasn't the first season about the 7th annual tournament? And he used the Build Burning in the 11th. So, four years after Reiji left, Sei builds a Gunpla for him, going so far as to use it in the world tournament. What happened to Sei four years after the end of season 1? Did he have some sort of weird breakdown/freakout?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

A) You're really loving dumb. The back story of the BB is super simple. "Hey I made this unit based off of my last tourney entering robot for my space man friend who'll come back eventually. poo poo it's been awhile since he said he'd come back I think I'll just leave this here at school with our trophy as a little memory of our time together." Then a bland protagonist finds it and uses it.

He built a Gunpla for someone he hadn't seen in four years, using it in the world tournament. that Gunpla was completely melee based for no reason, and didn't have weapons or a shield or a backpack, despite the fact that the Gunpla Reiji used had weapons and a really good backpack and a unique shield, all of which Reiji used all the time. Then he realized his friend wasn't coming back anytime soon if ever, so he sealed it in a Dom, then hid that Dom in a trophy.

But he kept almost enough spare parts to make a second one out of. Those he didn't seal away when he realized his friend was never coming back, in fact he took them with him when he went overseas.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I'm almost positive Sei built those extra parts himself after he saw the Build Burning fight.

But then shouldn't he have called up China and said "yo, I know you're on your way to the airport tomorrow to hand deliver those parts I made, but I'm watching your brother's team in the first round of the Nationals right now, and the Build Burning looks completely different. I guess that kid figured out how to make Gunplas or Yuuma did it for him or soemthing, so they don't need those parts"

edit: Hell, if Sei saw some redhead kid using a Gundam he made years ago and immediately started making parts for him, that's creepy too. Thanks, crazy adult guy trying to relive your highschool experiences.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 12, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something Yuuma explicitly states is that he lacks the skills to rebuild the Try's broken arm from scratch. He even admits that even if he tried it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the original.

How does Sei know that? All Sei knows is that the kid is now using a new variant of the Build Burning that doesn't even have "Build" in it's name anymore, and Yuuma is a master builder who won the Artistic Gunpla Grand Prix.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically the chain of events seems to be:

- Sei builds and pilots the Build Burning Gundam for the 11th world championship.
- Afterwards, he changes it up a bit to better suit Reiji's affinity for close combat and hides it away in a trophy, probably thinking that if Reiji ever came back he'd go to Sei's old school first.
- Sekai accidentally finds it and manages to reveal the kit.
- Ral recognizes it as being based off the Build Burning and names it that. Not knowing any better, Sekai just sticks with the name.

I went back and checked the scene. Unless the translation's off, China specifically says Sei built it for Reiji, and customized it for Reiji. Not that he built it, and then customized it for Reiji.

BlitzBlast posted:

Presumably he took a look at Yuuma's kits and got a general estimate of his capabilities?

muike posted:

Sei is the best builder in the world and if he can't figure it out from like 440p youtube footage of the lightning gundam that yuuma's skills aren't up to snuff (also he taught yuuma how to build gunpla) then he needs to have his badge revoked

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or even just being nice and sending a care package just in case, because he knows how easily poo poo gets wrecked in even a regular gunpla battle on Damage Level A.

If Sei kept the spare parts for the Build Burning, that's weird of Sei, but sending them makes a kind of sense, they're the rest of the Build Burning, which he sees as Sekai's, so Sekai should have them. If he whipped up the spare parts when he saw Sekai using the Build Burning in the Regionals, that means he, an adult and master Gunpla Builder and Gundam Battle champion, decided to give that 13 year old kid fighting other 13 year olds, a poo poo ton of pretty inappropriate help, and then saw that the Build Burning had been customized, and said, "eh, that sucks. China! Either that kid using the Build Burning or your brother can't build for poo poo! Or both! You better take these world class parts to those 13 year olds fighting other 13 year olds"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

"hey this kid on my girlfriend's brother's team is using a gunpla i made a while ago and he's doing really good! oh poo poo he got hosed up i don't know if yuuma has the spare parts to fix it"

How do you not see that as an absurdly inappropriate amount of help for a grown man to give children in a competition against other children?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quoting my own last post;

From the context it seems like you're disagreeing with me, but you bolded the 19 in under 19, which agrees with what I said, so I don't really know how to respond to this.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

they just fought some triplet rear end niggas who made a particle dragon this is clearly a no-holds barred, all poo poo is IN kind of place

At high school science fairs, you're allowed to be way better than everyone else, but you aren't allowed to just have your dad do it for you.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Reiji just had his friend build his kit for him, so.

And once again, Sei gave the parts for the Build Burning, not the Try. Yuuma's going to have to put in work anyways.

Reiji wasn't competing in an age-restricted tournament

Pureauthor posted:

Absolutely no one in either season gives a poo poo if the Gunpla you're piloting is something built by you or not (except for the 'personal pride' issue and that was only raised by a single guy), so I don't see the issue.

In the first season the tournament wasn't age-restricted, and this season no one else has been using a Gunpla made by an adult.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Again; one of the teams has PPSE's Chief Engineer as their coach. There's no way in hell he hasn't influenced their designs.

Shia was explicitly shown building her Gundam by herself, basically in secret. Allan didn't built the Gunpla Academy's Gunpla for them

Caros posted:

Other than the Gunpla academy guys who are probably 18+. Or the main badguys from the qualifiers who were on their last year making them 18-19.

They definitely aren't 19, as it's an under-19 tournament.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And I'm sure she gained the skills to do so in a vacuum with no input whatsoever from a brother and a coach in a multi-championship-winning team.

That's absurd. She was trained in Gunpla by world class Gunpla builders at a school built around Gunpla. She had every possible advantage.

Well, not every possible advantage. A former World champion didn't give her a wold championship winning Gunpla and then a bunch of spare parts so she never had to learn anything about Gunpla building herself. That'd be absurd.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pureauthor posted:

Well I guess that sucks for anyone who was born too early in the year then.

Also, it was apparently fine for Sudou to commission Minato to build the Mega-Shiki because Minato is heads and shoulders above everyone else who could build a Gunpla for him - but only if Minato is young enough. Do you realize how idiotic that sounds?

You've literally never heard of the concept of age brackets in competition? Or you're familiar with them, you just disagree with them?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So how's this different to your earlier remark of them having to build it themselves? Pretty sure those tutors aren't going to be under 19.

Because the tutors didn't build the Gunpla for her.

Do you not know what tutors are?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pureauthor posted:

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your argument. Are you saying that Sei giving extra parts for Try Fighters to use isn't allowed, or that it shouldn't be allowed?

They've never said it isn't allowed, so I guess it's allowed, but it definitely shouldn't be allowed. It's an unfair advantage.

BlitzBlast posted:

boom boom boom's argument has changed from "Why did Sei make the parts, that's so creepy" to "why did he give the parts to Yuuma, does he think that little of him" to "why is Sekai just getting outside help like that, it's unfair". And that last one isn't really wrong either, it's just a part of Sekai's aura of suck.

My argument hasn't changed, all of those stand, they're just addressed to different points others have raised.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In any sports anime, the antagonist teams having some advantage is totally normal and expected. Super strong ringers, crazy last minute substitutes, the rich kid spent his way to success, the fancy elite school that has all the advantages, etc. The reason the bad guys get that stuff, is for the benefit of the main character's story. Oh no, how will the good guys beat the bad guys, when the bad guys have X. That makes the good guys struggle to win more meaningful, because the obstacle they face is so big, and it makes the audience root for them, because we want to see the underdog beat the big guys with the unfair advantage, and it makes their victory more impressive because they were handicapped by not having whatever advantage the bad guys did, and it gives them the moral victory, because they won on their own gumption instead of relying on money or status or outside help or whatever.

The Build Burning throws all that out the window. The main characters have the biggest outside advantage of them all. You can't root for a team that wouldn't even be in the competition if they hadn't had their victories handed to them by someone else. Oh no, those guys in white bought a super fancy Gunpla! Who gives a poo poo, the "good" guys got the superest fanciest Gunpla for absolutely free. When Team Try Fighters win, they never win the moral victory.

Imagine it like this. Imagine that Sekai had built his own Gunpla. Early on in the show, they fight and easily beat some random team of nobodies. Them, when Try Fighters are in the nationals, somehow that team of nobodies is there too, except they're winning, and the main nobody has some super amazing Wing Gundam variant that can one-shot kill most other Gunplas. And then you find out that that Gunpla was built by Felini, because he had a thing for one of the nobodies' older sister. And like, the main nobody gets the Gunpla damaged during a fight and Felini runs out with a box full of spare parts and fixes it up good as new. That would be funny, but it would make you think less of the nobodies, and you'd certainly want to see Try Fighters kick their lazy asses.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Still hoping Junya's goons get a few hits off Yuuma before Sleggar or whoever steps in.

The thing that makes no sense about Yuuma is that he's a good fighter. He hasn't played in two years, there should've been a little arc for him getting un-rusty and figuring out his own style and how he can help the team during battle. The Lightning Full Burnern would've been neat if it was the end result of Yuuma discovering that sniping and high mobility were what he needed to contribute with his own unique skills. Instead of "my fast sniper Gundam needs to be faster and snipier. Ok now it is"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Real question, Boom3 do you actualy have a mental problem or is your posting gimmick pulling paragraphs of :spergin: about anime from elsewhere?

I'm sorry that the cartoon you like has problems. I understand that it can be upsetting when people point out flaws in things you like.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

I'm betting he also gets hurt enough in the tussle that he has to sit the next fight out, but not hurt enough to miss the following one. So...fractured wrist or something else anime can write off as healing in a few days.

Fumina will then get taken out disabling his two team-mates, leaving it as just Sekai and Junya. Why involve Yuuma in a fight that's only about two others at all when you have the perfect excuse to leave him out altogether after all? He'll somehow manage to fix Try Build Burning perfectly despite whatever injury too.

It would be great if Yuuma had to sit out a match so they got Gyanko to take his place. She and Fumina wouldn't need to get taken out, they could be busy fighting the other two, or even beat the other two but then respectfully let Sekai have his one on one fight.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

W.T. Fits posted:

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them in the audience watching the rest of the tournament, but I won't be heartbroken if we never see them again.

This applies to basically everyone in the show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Lady's just too lazy to shave both legs.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I was thinking about trying out some Super Robot shows, but Build Fighters Try has completely killed all my interest in that. I'm so sick and tired of a spunky tween yelling some words that mean "punch", and then winning because he had his heart in his fist and the other guy's robot was evil colors. I'm gonna stick with shows about adults piloting robots that break down and then at the end everyone dies.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Suzaku posted:

Watch G Gundam. Get hype.

This show is getting close to making me retroactively not like G Gundam.

No, that's not true, I'll always love G Gundam.

I swear to god, if Sekai actually beats Junya just by punching better I will not like it at all and it will be terrible.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

chumbler posted:

The innermost mystery of the Jigen Haoh school is simply to Jigen Haoh harder. I also want Junya to at least beat down Sekai since Junya actually knows how to do more than one thing.

Yeah, if Junya kicks Sekai's rear end, actually defeats him, and then Fumina and Yuuma come in and defeat Junya, that would own. This show would win back so many points for me if they did that. Just having a fight end with Sekai defeated would be a huge step forward for this show.

Gearhead posted:

My one disappointment so far has been that Junya did not get more sell. This guy needed to be the Monster Heel waiting at the end for Sekai. Maybe have him stomp a mudhole in the Gunpla Academy, to EVERYONE'S shock, and wind up in the finals. Having him show up now feels like they wasted a perfectly good chance.

Oh yeah, Junya has been completely wasted. Sekai's mysterious long lost sempai who he hasn't really said anything about at all until he showed up this episode. And their relationship is going to be resolved next episode. What an exciting two episode rivalry! Don't save their showdown for the end or build it up at all, that would distract from Sekai's showdown with that guy he met once who's also good at Gunpla Battle.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

Try was the third match this bracket, so right now we've had Tryon, Celestial, (soon to be) Try, and presumably Nemisis will smash Team White Wolf in round 4.

Oh yeah, that British guy who's showed up and is important I guess

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos posted:

You mean like last episode, where Sekai was defeated by SD-R and Fumina/Yuuma had to finish the fight?

Nope, the Try Burning's glowy parts went from red back to blue, but it never actually powered down, and Sekai's cockpit hologram thing was red with all the CAUTION signs, but it never went black like when a fighter is defeated. The Try Burning was not actually defeated in that fight.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos posted:

Yeah I mean it used up all of its power, lost an arm, and the pilot literally passed out and was functionally unable to continue fighting but it technically didn't get totally destroyed so it doesn't count.

It didn't use up all it's power, Sekai just couldn't maintain the burning spirit phase. the Try Burning was still on, the clear parts were still glowing.

Do you not remember the fights from season 1? Losing an arm should mean the fight's just getting good. The Build Strike and Zaku Amazing kept fighting down to their backpacks. The best fight in Try so far involved two fighters getting blown in half and they kept fighting.

Sekai didn't literally pass out, he literally fell to his knees because his arm hurt. Which is extra special bullshit, because if Sekai can't keep fighting while enduring the pain of losing a limb, the stupid Assimilation nonsense means we aren't going to get anymore great fights where the opponents wreck each others poo poo. Not featuring the main character, at least.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Assimilation is seriously the stupidest possible thing they could put into the Build Fighters universe

"Remember, everyone, Gunpla is supposed to be fun! By the way, that guy feels the damage his Gunpla takes, so, just keep that in mind. Oh, you replaced the tendrils on your Agguguy with heat whips from the Epyon? That's clever! Just remember, if you use those on your opponent's Gunpla, he'll actually feel like his flesh is being melted off his bones. Have fun!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
When did I say that Sekai always wins? I said that Sekai has never been knocked out of a fight before it was over. Even in the triplets fight, he was still technically in play.

What I want, is for Sekai to be taken out of a fight, and Yuuma and Fumina to have to adjust to that and figure out how to win without their "Ace".

Even if Sekai had actually been out at the end of the triplet fight, he had made their enemy immobile, all that was left for Yuuma and Fumina was to do their finishers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The thing is, the situation Sekai was in was not a game-ender. Robot doesn't have a right arm, Sekai can't use his right arm and is in incredible pain, can't sustain the super mode anymore. Almost fell unconscious, or very briefly did. Ok, but none of that means he can't fight.

This is another problem with assimilation, Sekai can't actually be taken out of the fight. The amount of damage that the Try Burning would have to sustain for the system to count it as dead, as established by previous fights, is way higher than what they can do to Sekai. They aren't going to recreate that scene from Evangelion where Asuka's eva get it's arms and head cut off.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
He's really not that hot-blooded

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Omnicrom posted:

Sekai's greatest problem is he could be so much more than he is.

I wish he actually did have burning passion. And made his own Gunpla of course. You could've done a neat thing in the first 3-5 episodes, every episode he just grabs a recently released HGUC off the shelf, builds it quickly and sloppily, and uses that to fight. Even if he wins it's completely trashed by the end of the fight. Then he learns to love Gundam and Gunpla as much as he loves Gunpla Battle, and builds the Build Burning.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Sekai was losing, but then he decided he wanted to win, and the Gunpla he found had an extra win button hidden in it, so he won.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

He didn't even decide to win, he gave up and his Gunpla felt sorry for him and gave him the "I win" button. Also, what was unfair about Junya's hair choke? Seems perfectly fine to me. It's like complaining about the Star Winning using it's funnels or Sekai finding a Green Lantern ring inside his Gunpla and making new Gunpla using it. It's really just unfair because it's something Sekai can't do, isn't it?

Assimilation means anyone who fights Sekai is hurting him. So if you don't let Sekai Jigen haaiouoboiyvw you with a finisher right off the bat, you're just being mean.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Christ, the final fight between Sekai and the Gunpla Academy dude is going to be SO BORING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

It's also not nearly as good when the guy who uses it wasn't actually winning until he busted it out as a surprise (and unearned) power up that turns things around completely instead of being a finisher for a character who had already proven worthy of winning in any of a variety of ways. The music also wasn't as good. The fact that I spent the majority of the fight rolling my eyes and wishing it was over but not quite willing to skip it doesn't help either really. Basically this attack had nothing going for it compared to Shining Finger.

It doesn't help that there's no actual bad guy in this show. It wouldn't be as bad if Junya was trying to take over the world or something. In that case you want Sekai to win no matter what, so magic space rock that was there all along but nobody noticed so Sekai wins would be easier to stomach. But they're just playing a game. It's a bunch of people playing a game, and some are good at some parts of the game but not at others, and some are good at everything, and some aren't great at anything but try to make up for it by being clever or sneaky or whatever. Except for Sekai, who keeps winning because he found a maxed out level 99 account with a completely min/maxed character that it turns out also has exclusive gear nobody else playing the game can get,

• Locked thread