Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

One change I hope to see in Rebirth is making the horseman bosses less common. The boss fights in BoI are awesome, and it's a real bummer that a subset of them that show up a lot are just (usually minor) variations on the same fight. Knowing what drop you're going to get before the fight even starts is pretty lame, too.

I'd be cool with that if cubes of meat came from somewhere else. The horsemen are more miniboss-y anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

People keep saying this, but for me Azazel is literally unplayable. His attack fails to fire or does a single tiny blip better than 75% of the time.

Before anyone says anything: yes, I do know how Brimstone works and I am waiting until it's charged.

A difference from the flash version is that you can't immediately start charging once you're actively firing. Doing so truncates the burst, so you've got to let it run its course before starting to charge the next shot if you want full damage. This gave me problems for a bit as well, because it's completely different to how Brim was handled before.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Ghost Head posted:

Whoever made the challenges forgot the crucial ingredient: fun. I don't mind hard, hard is good, but there is nothing fun whatsoever spending minutes whittling tiny enemies down with farts or orbiting flies. I've only tried a handful of challenges so maybe I just picked the wrong ones, but they've all involved some lovely low damage gimmick. It's dumb.

The "no tears" challenge where you start with 99 bombs is pretty easy with a little luck. Bomb your way out of rooms that'll take you more than one bomb to clear, don't take any risks or explore - it's not too hard to reach Mom with enough bombs in stock to seal the deal.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Crosspeice posted:

There we go, finished Suicide King after, uh, getting Brimstone. But I could probably beat it normally.

And I think I know the difference between Common Cold and Bob's Brain. I never want to put that to the test, however.

I did it with orbitals, Midas Touch, Tammy's Head and Habit. Orbitals for almost everything, death hug on It Lives.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

If I have to beat Mega Satan with the Lost I will just use cheat engine and be done with it.

Blank card + Chaos card.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

wyoming posted:

loving hate this game.

That really needs to be a middle finger Conquest is tossing your way.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Xeras posted:

A no tears character could be fun but currently Rebirth gives items that primarily affect your tears. Sounds like Azazel again with lots of item room and devil deal items that are worthless to you.

So she starts with a follower that's Mongo Baby but copies the player's tears instead of another follower? It'll have to be something.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Color Printer posted:

The negative is a really good pun (sort of) because what else could be used as a dark (or say, bad, or negative) version of a photograph?

Go through the dark room, develop the polaroid, next level is the cathedral but worse, followed by the womb but worse, all the way back up to the cellar and then the first floor of the house, followed by an escape to the outside world where you have to face the for real true final boss in the bus terminal before freeing yourself for good which deletes your save game ala Nier but without any warning prompts.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

Why did Edmund think that anyone would ever want that?
Aren't items supposed to make your character somewhat better? I could see this as a trinket, since it's quite similliar to the worms. But finding that in an item room is just more complete garbage.
Except for tears down, R U a wizzard ones are already the worst pills anyway. If I get one of those, I barely hit anything untill the efect finally vanishes.

Could synergize well with existing/new items. Like, imagine a Cylon version of tech 2 that sweeps left to right and back. Wizard it up and maybe you get two beams that sweep a 270 degree arc and cross in front of you for double damage or something, who knows.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

That dunce cap item seems really good? One angle is your normal DPS, so you just have to get used to firing at a 45 degree angle, and every once in a while you get a bonus hit for free.

Yeah, in the vid it's clear- both tears fire simultaneously, so it's actually a solid item.

Edit: Also Athame is a speed runner's dream. Once you're good enough to view your health pool as a resource instead of a safety buffer it's the equivalent of a 1/room damage item that you can use at will for the cost of half a heart. It also looked like it spit out sin hearts on hit once in a while, which is just stupid good.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 29, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jusupov posted:

Did he have 20/20 in the video?

Nope, feature of the item. Permanent double wiz is the pickup description.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Somehow I hosed up like 3 straight Blue Bomber challenge attempts (one by using a D6 room and losing Suicide Bomber) but I completed Onan's Streak the first time through. Flat Worm makes it pretty forgiving hitbox-wise.

Also I tried my first Lilith run and got my first Multidimensional Baby, I wish Box of Friends doubled him up too but I guess double stacking them would be insane.

Sometimes the game just wants you to win. First attempt at BB the game gave me Judas' Shadow in the B2 devil room. Totally counted it, too.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

BillmasterCozb posted:

Maybe having narrow boss rooms is just a bad idea and should be scrapped

Most bosses get much easier in a narrow room if you've got decent damage because they can't wander out of your field of fire. It's definitely a kick in the dickeye on B1 though, no matter who shows up.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Yinlock posted:

How do you guys even get past the first floor on Speed? I get owned basically the second a jumping spider shows up.

I feel like such a dick for beating Speed on the first try, I didn't even figure out what the gimmick was until Depths 2 when I noticed the damage occurring. (Because I got the Holy Mantle on B1)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

So is Hush the embodiment of suffocation?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

I've beaten the Cathedral twice now for Brains!. The first time I hadn't picked up the polaroid for some reason and the game just ended. The second time the game crashed as soon as the chest was loaded.

I'm going to poo poo in an envelope and mail it to Ed. gently caress him, gently caress his brains, gently caress everything.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Finally beat Brains! with a floor 1 dark bum+bag face+i've seen everything and a floor 2 krampus head. Having effectively unlimited resources by Caves 2 certainly makes things more manageable.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Kanfy posted:

You unlock lucky pennies by donating one penny to Ultra Greed's machine after beating him.

Thought it was two pennies. For the dead.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jusupov posted:

At least three of keepers unlocks are just for himself

Which is reasonable, given his name and nature.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Keeper runs are so boring. Roll basement 1 until you bomb a swallowed penny out of a pot, then don't gently caress up twice in a row.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

HenryEx posted:

"Keeper runs are so boring"

*posts about how he tailors his keeper runs for maximum boredom*

May i also suggest a hot tip for playing The Lost:
Hold R until the Curse Room next to you has Dead Cat.

Oh, I don't grind for it. I just almost never make it past depths without it. Exception was my first clear through the cathedral/chest, pyro/bob's brain/sad bombs/other poo poo that goes boom, but that's victory for anything other than the lost so I'm not really impressed with myself for it.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Vasler posted:

Well I unlocked the Keeper and holy poo poo gently caress this guy. Seven runs so far and I can't even get past the 3rd floor. I have all the post its unlocked for every other character. How do you guys actually get anywhere with this poo poo character?

Hug poo poo. Seriously get close enough that all three tears hit your target, and if you're not feeling confident leave money lying around to pick up later. ...Or bomb a swallowed penny out of a pot on b1 and don't ever get hit twice in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

So who wants to guess on how the new character is gonna be even worse than the Keeper?

John the Baptist. Start with Guillotine and severe knockback susceptibility that knocks your torso away and leaves your head floating where you got hit. You have to regain your head before leaving the room. John starts with low speed and low health. You cannot fly while headless. You die immediately if hit while flying over impassable terrain. Both the head and body are susceptible to damage at all times.