Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good Delta card opening bonus going on right now? Colleague just got a 50k miles 1000$ minimum amex card but I can't find that one anymore. Delta is the major/only airline at the airport here.

Delta/AmEx neutered that card last year by getting rid of the companion ticket, so it probably isn't something you'll want to keep long term unless you fly enough for the free checked bag to matter but not enough to get a free checked bag from having airline status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ugh. I applied for the Chase British Airways card a week ago. It was approved by Chase within a few hours, BA still has yet to generate me a rewards account so they will actually issue me the card, and Chase apparently can't do anything to contact them or hurry it along. If I want to hit the $30k spend for the Companion Pass I need to get this first tuition payment on it, which I also need to get my student visa issued (electronically, thank god), and I leave in 15 days. Might give it until Wednesday morning (they said 48-72 hours a week ago), then call up Chase and cancel the application if nothing's happened yet.

:argh:

Why don't you just create the account yourself, which should take 5 minutes tops, and then tell Chase what your number is?

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/register-now/public/en_gb

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 19, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Any Chip & Pin cards in the US right now that you guys know about? My corporate card got upgraded to Chip & Pin recently but the best any of my personal cards are is Chip & signature.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FISHMANPET posted:

Can I just say how annoying it is that Chase won't let me just pay a fixed amount X every month. I can only choose minimum payment or full balance.

Just send them a check for whatever amount you want to pay then. Or use your bank's bill pay service to send them an amount you specify. You aren't obligated to use their online interface.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also don't assume just because there are 40k mile tickets available that you'll be able to get 40k mile tickets on the dates/flights you want.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SuperSpiff posted:

This isn't strictly true. Many credit card companies get Level 3 data (which includes a breakdown of exactly what is purchased) from the retailer. Various rumors abound around the internet on this, but it's pretty well accepted that depending which merchant it is, the banks likely have access to exactly what you're buying.

I know with my work card gas stations and some chain hotels provide the CC a breakdown of what the charges were since it shows up on my statement.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LionArcher posted:

Quick questions.

I have about $5,000 debt on my main card, and a second card I haven't used in a couple of years (my baby first card) with like a $750 dollar limit (lol). My funds just increased (business is finally doing well) and I can pay the debt off completely. However, is there any new cards I should look at (I use prime) in terms of moving my debt to a new card, and then paying it off. Any benefits/ cards I should be looking at?

I don't think there are many, if any, cards that count balance transfers towards spend for bonuses.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

Well I've never had a credit card and I figure it's time to build my credit. I travel alot for work and will clear 4k easily. I travel primarily domestically and have expensed roughly 5k so far this year. I buy alot of airline tickets, but not one airline and I stay in alot of hotels but always what's easiest for me in relation to client location. I'd like to maximize my returns/rewards.

I also enjoy traveling for fun soooo idk....miles are nice

Do you have leeway to consolidate your travel to a single hotel chain/airline? Or at least most of it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

If I wanted to yes. They don't care what I do as long as prices are same ballpark

E: I'm dumb what's is csp

Unless there's a marked difference in convenience it is probably worth your time to consolidate your travel to one airline (or one airline alliance) and one hotel megachain, and get that airline/hotel CC. Your travel will become more comfortable and you'll rack up worthwhile amounts of points much more quickly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

THF13 posted:

Further complicating things though is it's slightly better for building credit to have some balance reported (not carried over, don't carry over a balance!) instead of $0.

I've always heard this but the past few months when I look at my score (since every bank/CC shows it to you anymore) it tells me that "too many accounts with balances" is dragging it down even though my utilization is quite low.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Skoll posted:

Hi there.

I'm looking into getting my first credit card. I've been using a Chase checking account for the past eight or so years and they have this new free credit score checking thing so I tried it out.

My credit score is 548 according to them, I have zero credit history, and a debt of $60 dollars with "22 Missed Payments". I have no idea what I'd qualify for or how to go about this since I've never really looked into credit cards or anything like that but you need them to properly adult. I'd appreciate any and all help with this since I like seeing numbers going up.

You do have a credit history then, 22 missed payments. That's why your score is so low. You're going to have to rebuild from that and be pretty limited in the meantime.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Lol my wife got a mailer for LUXURY BLACK CARD and it's trying so hard to sell the SODOSOPA lifestyle

And it's only a lovely 1.5% back

Lol holy poo poo $495 annual fee just to have their lovely card

I have no idea what SODOSOPA is but I just got that same offer today. $495 fee, $100 airline credit, 1.5% cash back. And that's it. Their target market is people who are really bad with money, I guess. The big selling point was that it is a metal card.

I got the exact same offer a few years back and it was a Visa. This time it was a Mastercard.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

I didn't realize my Geico was being paid by credit card. If only I had switched it to my Uber Visa, I could've gotten halfway to the $500 spend bonus. :sigh:

PSA for those of you who also assumed your car insurance was being drawn on your checking account.

How do you not spend $500 in three months if you're getting a card with the intention of meeting minimum spend? Even if you're making minimum wage and operating on a super strict budget that's less than $6 a day in expenditures. Did you just forget to use the card for part of the 90 days or something?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Uber card looks like it is chip and pin? That's neat. Is this the first widely available chip and pin card in the US or are there others that I didn't notice?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought chip and sig could fall back to chip and PIN but apparently not.

It can if it is set up to do so (that's what the Uber card does if I'm reading properly) but most US cards and just chip and signature with no PIN except for cash advances. That's why I was asking about it - I know there are some isolated credit unions and some cards that have hefty annual fees that offer chip and PIN, but the Über card is no fee and widely available. As far as I know it's the only one in the US like that but I don't churn or follow card offers super closely so I was wondering if I'd missed other ones.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CaptainJuan posted:

So I have a question about state law. I'm renting a car tomorrow for a weekend trip and I don't actually own a car so I don't have insurance. I am using my American express, which has secondary coverage for rentals... And according to Amex customer service, secondary coverage becomes primary when you don't have primary. However, if I'm pulled over and asked for proof of insurance, what do I do? Does secondary(primary) coverage from my card count as meeting IL's insurance requirement?

Every rental car I've ever been in, in the US at least, has a form in the glovebox that says the rental car company is self insured with the relevant details to satisfy whatever somebody pulling you over would look for but IANAL.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Nobody gives a poo poo about grocery bill virtue signaling in this thread of all places.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Insane Totoro posted:

What the hell do grocery store virtue signals have to do with credit cards?

Its a law of the internet that if someone posts their grocery budget someone else will reply and act shocked that anyone could ever spend that much. Doesn't matter where the post is made or what the amount is.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm about to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve in advance of booking a vacation. Anybody have a referral link?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NP, no reason not to let somebody get some free points out of it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

I have 4k outstanding from a europe vacation on a chase saphire card that I don't want to use until its paid off. I'm currently paying 250 a month.

I travel alot for work and have a bunch of travel coming up that I need rentals and hotels for. My job cuts me a check to pay off my CC immediately after travel.

should i consolidate my 4k outstanding debt onto a low rate card? if so, which?

secondly, what secondary card should i get for just these work related purchases? I don't want to keep stacking work expenses onto my personal CC. i have a 640ish score i believe.

"Consolidate" implies you have outstanding debt across multiple revolving balances. Is it just that one or are their others?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Anybody have a referral link for a Chase Freedom Unlimited? I'm below 5/24 now so was going to get one to pair with the Sapphire. Looks like they give $100/referral so no reason not to help out a goon.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astral posted:

Enjoy (and thanks)!

Applied and approved. The application timed out on "verifying your information" (after like 15 minutes) the first time and I got worried but after reloading it went through right away so I guess something just got hung up somewhere the first time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have any tips on getting a rental car in Greece? I don't speak the language and need to get one that'll fit my family (wife and 3 kids ages 7-11) along with the luggage we'll have for two weeks. I'm not up on the 'correct' way to do this to mitigate liability and such. Should I always decline their insurance? Always get it?

I'm about to upgrade my Chase Freedom Unlmited back up to CSR (so I can use my 100K points toward the travel at 1.5x for the flight), which I THINK is the smart play to book it with that. But also hoping to get insights on sites/companies/etc.

Appreciate any help so that I don't gently caress it up. Thanks!

Check your credit card rental insurance paperwork - there's a handful of countries that a lot of them don't cover and I think Greece might be one of those countries.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So for a big trip I have coming up in August, I decided to get a travel rewards card. After much hemming and hawing I went with the Discover It Miles card, but I've just found out that Norwegian Air doesn't take Discover.

Is there a workaround possible here? Pay for it another way, then use Discover to pay that off - would I still get the miles/reward points?

balance transfers generally aren't eligible for points or for meeting minimum spend.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Or use this:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Everyone should use this because I put my info in there like a year ago and haven't had any free money from goon referrals come through.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Thank you, sage traveler, for helping me - the guy who travels the world for work - navigate such an issue.

It's great that you're having good luck at whatever handful of airports you visit, but it's pretty well established this "benefit" sucks anywhere most people need to be. It's not about checking schedules. It's about random signs on the PP lounge in Seattle with "lol, sorry, closed to PP members today!" which happens to be up 90% of the time and other very, very similar shenanigans all over the US and abroad. Even if you get in, the PP lounges in most places are little better than the rest of the airport and in no way compare to a high tier frequent flyer lounge or a Centurion lounge.

If you've never been to a lounge before you might really like it for the novelty.

This is the most Flyertalk loving post I've ever read outside of Flyertalk.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ugh, this lounge calls their sparkling wine "champagne" when it isn't even from France I might as well be in the terminal with the poors.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Motronic posted:

If you travel a lot personally I suppose. But I travel for business so I don't care about that one bit, since my meals are on my expense report.

Congrats. That doesn't mean you have to be an rear end to people who have different use cases.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
RIP to the Uber card

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is trash. Uber Visa is no longer getting 2% on all online services and shopping, which significantly reduces my want to use it when I already use Amex Gold and CSR for restaurants and travel.

That's not even the worst part - it's no longer cash back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astral posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

I agree with you there. It's been right up there with the IHG card for being too good to be true.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wait what is it changing to? Just Uber GCs?

Essentially, only redeemable for Uber/UberEats/Whatever scooter company they own.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Ugh, since you can only redeem in $25 I was saving a bunch of points. so I'll just cash them out now before I wake up and find they converted and I can't use it.

I'll keep my cell phone on it for the insurance benefit, but otherwise why bother?

About that...

quote:

If you have already set up your total monthly wireless bill to be charged to your Uber Credit Card, you may continue using your cell phone protection benefit without interruption. As of November 1, 2019, there will be changes to the insurance provider and to the maximum coverage levels and deductible amounts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Uber must have decided they had enough data collected from having the card out there for a few years and are now basically dumping it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Well, that would suck. Right now the card hits a sweet spot. If the fee goes up $100 or $200 for something I don't use I'd almost surely cash out my points and drop it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Deathlove posted:

:capitalism: (which seems kind of incongruent in a thread about credit cards but hey)

This is a thread about maximizing the amount of money you can get banks to give you for free though so it works.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Has anyone acquired the Barclay's AAviator card? It looks like it might be worth getting for a year even though the $99 fee has to be paid upfront for 60k and a companion pass. But I know companion passes can sometimes be impossible to actually use unless you buy full Y fares, which defeats the savings of the pass. Anybody use that pass and have any thought on it? I'm thinking I might get it and then cancel once the year is up.

Edit, found an article that answered my question. Looks like the answer is there's a bunch of blackout dates and they make it hard to use the certificate (have to call to reserve and physically mail in the certificate) but not impossible. So I guess I'll look first to see if any travel I have would hit those blackout dates prior to deciding if I'm gonna sign up.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 4, 2020

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

Seems like you get $120 in food credits?

Over two years. It's a $100 increase for a $60 credit at a specific vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Figured I'd float this again. I got a couple referrals this month, so it's nice to see it getting some use. Any other goon success stories?

Nope. not a single one yet. I just updated my Freedom link in case it was wrong or something.