Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Duck Hunt Dog can be unlocked simultaneously with Duck Hunt stage via the method mentioned by Maple Leaf earlier: get 1 KO in Cruel Melee.

How does one get into Cruel mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Either way it makes Brawl look like dumb trash.

I loved Brawl

Lucas Never Forget :911:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

Is there any character that has an easy time getting the one kill in cruel smash? I tried DK's down-b but no luck. Every time I've tried with anyone I get swarmed and launched instantly.

I had a pretty easy time with Ness. I just sat on the edge, spammed PK Fire, then PK Thunder 2'd into the crowd. It took me like 4 tries though - those little Miis are pesky.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Fhate posted:

If, while playing Wario, I discover that my opponent doesn't know how to deal with the bike, then I will pound them with it again and again, running them over, front tire-slamming them, rear tire-smacking them and varying the timing just enough that they can't easily predict it until I start to feel sorry for them (which usually takes quite a while). Nothing better than KO-ing someone with the front tire-slam then turning around and slowly cruising across the map while doing Wario's bike taunt.

I have a tough time with the bike as Ness :(

PK Fire doesn't seem to slow it down, neither does PK Thunder - I pretty much have to go for an aerial, or time my jump to be behind Wario as the bike stops moving and attack.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

online surprisingly works fine for me on WiFi but there's no way I'm gonna do "4 player final destination timed matches where 2 of the 4 players are always little mac" so oh well. Wish there were more matchmaking options for stock matches that were on interesting stages, at least put it to a vote or something for stages.

FWIW I haven't had more than a handful of online matches where there are multiple Little Macs and I've been playing quite a bit online. And if you play "For Fun" you won't be playing on only FD and friends.

I do wish there were more options for online though.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

Maybe they think he's fun to play as or something.

Yeah even if I wasn't a huge Punch-Out fanboy I'd play as Mac because he's so much fun! I still main Ness but when I get bored I use Little Mac.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

As far as I can tell, all the equipment and special moves are locked behind that stuff.

Can you buy those things? I haven't messed with customizations much in the WiiU version, but I've bet a fuckton of gold in spectator mode because I'm a weirdo.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Papes posted:

Is there any sort of matchmaking in for glory matches? Tonight I couldn't find a single match where I wasn't completely outskilled. If I keep losing will I eventually get to play people of my level?

I'm not really sure. I basically lose every 1v1 For Glory match I play. If there is match making it's either terrible or I'm off the charts on the low end.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't know how to play it fight Mario. He's the only character I cannot beat. It is my conclusion that Mario is full of bullshit. (How do I beat Mario?)

What character are you using?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

NightVis posted:

just picked this up and I bad. Real bad. add me at madeofcarbon to pad your wins up

I'm also bad but hopefully getting better? Add me: powerj

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Apple Jax posted:

My first custom stage, The USS Smashprise:

I love this

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Waverhouse posted:

Casual players would only benefit from more attempts to balance the cast, and would also benefit from some matchmaking system that kept them from veterans who've played since N64.

I feel like competitive (1v1) balance is different from group smashing balance. Like, Ness has traditionally been a weak character in 1v1 play but I've always found him competent in group play where he can sneak up on people concentrating on one another with PK Thunder 2. Also (to continue to use Ness as an example since I'm a sperglord who only plays one character) Ness's super smash (especially in Brawl) is super powerful, to bring him up to the level of other characters for 1v1 would make him a complete monster in group play assuming a smash ball is available.

I'd like to see the series focus a bit more on competitive play I just feel like it is important to point out that balancing between group/item/1v1 play is hard (impossible?) and the strengths & weaknesses each character has for each different style of play is what makes Smash fun to me.

Also god dammit Nintendo, create a proper loving match making system online play is ridiculous right now.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Waverhouse posted:

Just balance around 1v1. If group smashing suffers because of it (I fail to see how that would be the case but lets assume) then who cares? 4 man free for alls are the default mode for the casual crowd (the ones who would care least about total balance), and competitive 2v2 has always been more a side show than a main attraction for the competitive set.

Yeah this makes sense.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Wild Knight posted:

impossible, for fun mode is over that way

I wish For Fun had no items omega only as options :(

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is there a trick for the Kirby's Crazy Appetite Event?

Yes yes, I know, I'm a scrub for having issues with the Events and this is mostly a thread about the competitive stuff but it's the only one I'm like, legitimately having issues with right now, and unable to beat it above Easy.

Don't worry we are all terrible

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speak for yourself friend

:(

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

LanceKing2200 posted:

Well the goon tournament finally wrapped up (after a month and a half). If anyone is interested here's the highlights:

I've sent friend requests to a bunch of people listed in this post, my NNID is powerj.

Please beat the poo poo out of me in the hopes that I never lose to my terrible friends again

ps Ness is the best <3

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

NTT posted:

You should get in #goonsmash

Good call, just jumped in

edit: it's official, I'm bad at Smash, thanks #goonsmash for giving me some tips, maybe I wont be so terrible much longer!

Glimm fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 17, 2015

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, enjoy him being a top ten character in this, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3ds

doesn't matter I'm still terrible

:negative:

It is nice knowing my character of choice is doing well on the pro scene though

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Tae posted:

Street Fighter has 1 frame link combos, 20 frames is an eternity in most fighting games.

That just doesn't seem humanly possible. No wonder I'm terrible at games.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really want to be good with Ness but I am extremely bad. Someone tell me how to be good with him.

I'd like to know too

:negative:

I actually felt okay with him a couple of weeks ago but the last couple times I've played FG I swear I my win rate is like 10%

One of the things that I find fun/feel like helps me as Ness is the double PK Thunder trick (thundering into the side of the stage and immediately doing it again to recovery) - I get a lot of cheap kills off of people chasing me off the edge that way.

Also spacing is key - PK Fire is the best thing ever, but it is important not to just spam it (though I do all the time). Try spacing yourself to have them just inside your range and hitting them with it, especially when they're about to land.

I suck at this but using the bat to return projectiles is super effective. It's hard to time against certain characters (LIIINK) but it surprises a lot of Samus players.

And of course back throw to kill, down through/fair/fair as a combo that _usually_ works.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 9, 2015

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Reiley posted:

in a traditional smash brother you hit a button (or two buttons) and you grab a man, and then they are seized and at your mercy. in Smash 4 you can hit three buttons (!!!) to grab a little further, on some of the men and women of smash.

Forgive me for being smash illiterate but what is this about 3 buttons being a different grab? Is this referencing a dash turnaround grab?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

sharrrk posted:

lucas does not want to fight. please let respect his wishes and let him rest

Poo then? Please Sakurai

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

bef posted:

Almost everyone that plays in IRC tends to go ham, even though this game definitely rewards camping it out and playing super safe.

I'm pretty sure I use nothing but PK Thunder when fighting in the IRC. That's how one properly plays Ness though, right?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Apt Funk posted:

I just got a pretty sweet kill, so I thought I'd share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUYog37T3b8

Something is so glorious about killing a Link when sucked in by that move.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

No Earthbound tracks. :negative:

Fire it into the sun

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

I might be the worst partner in teams of all time. Sorry Allie bef!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDect1gu1cM

Glimm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 7, 2015

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Gaffle posted:

You actually did really well though. Nice pk thunder double kill

Haha, it was pretty lucky - I was more apologizing for the 3 team kills :xd:

Seriously the most epic ending, in real time I didn't know what happened (I thought I thundered into a bomb or something)

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Reiley posted:

I think bef was your teammate in this one, we didn't become partners until after. it's okay though, I appreciate your enthusiasm for Thunder :japan:

Doh, I.. can't read or remember things

Glimm fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 7, 2015

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Cicadas! posted:

List of characters that take a long time to fight in this game:

Mega Man
Duck Hunt
Pac-Man
Rosalina and Luma
Bowser Jr.
Peach
Kirby,
Toon/Link

If any of these characters show up online, you can basically guarantee it'll run to time, or at least closer than you'd like.

Whenever I plays as Villager my fights seem to take forever too. That's probably because I'm not very good and I'm more like Johnny Appleseed than Buffalo Bill when I play Villager.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Literally the single best Nintendo Direct of all time. ALL TIME.

Man I need to play some more Smash.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

bef posted:

they nerfed ness's back throw and his up air this is bullshit

I enjoyed my favorite character being slightly-overly-powerful, made me feel like I was good at the game

Bullshit indeed

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think I'm the only person who wants more stages than characters. Pulling for an old school Mushroom Kingdom appearance to make its way in.

I'm definitely with you. The cast is just about perfect, but the lack of _good_ stages is frustrating. Some stages would be better if there were options to tone them down without going full Omega.

Also For Glory 1v1 being basically FD only is terrible and makes online play against non-friends very boring, that should be changed too!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Phone posted:

I haven't played this game since Christmas or so and I signed up for a local $5 tourney. How do I get good at this game in 3 weeks or so? I play Ness and customs are allowed apparently.

I pretty much only play as Ness but the only buttons I know how to use are up and side b.

A lot of us hang out in #goonsmash on irc.synirc.net if you're looking for a match! I think nearly everyone in there likes to play as Ness at least now and then and might have pointers.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

In what universe is Little Mac fun to play either as or against? Whose idea was he? Why did anyone think he would be a fun character at any level? He's boring to play as, he's tedious to play against, and I can only assume it's worse if you're a kid playing with your friends.

I want to love the Mac but I kind of agree.

I'm also just bad with Mac (well, bad in general, sorta not so bad at Ness the best character of all time. ALL TIME)

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

I will be taking Ness to Shuffle VII (https://www.facebook.com/events/744556875659280/) this weekend. I just spent $25 to get destroyed by much better Smashers than myself.

I'm pretty excited, hoping to money match m2k - someone has to fund his ability to travel nationally.

Anyone else going to be there?

also if anyone would like to help me practice, specifically against Diddy and Sheik which I expect to see in droves, I'd appreciate it.. though I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get owned hard no matter what.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Dear goonsmash,

I got wrecked in my pool at Shuffle VII. PK Thunder spam wasn't enough. Bef I apologize to not have made it on stream.

1-7 record played 3 Sheiks, 3 Falcons, a Ness and Lucario. I beat the Lucario.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Reiley posted:

Glimm your dedication to Thunder is admirable.

I firmly believe thunder is the future of the metagame.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Bef I made it on stream! I'm the guy standing behind the guy losing to m2k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

Next month Ness's little brother Lucas will be added to Smash and I am quite excited.

I hope Poo is next.

• Locked thread