Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

How are we knowing this?

Well, there was this little incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

"Survive the Shoah, get your house taken over by the Soviets and lose everything? Quit colonizing, that land with safety isn't yours."

That's victim blaming. The post you cite lays out the political realities of the current situation, which you apparently see as victim blaming.

Survivors of ethnic cleansing don't get little gold tokens from the ICC entitling them to do it to someone else.

They stop being the victims when they start oppressing other people who had nothing to do with it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

botany posted:

No it hasn't. Of critical importance to international support has been American willingness to overlook the violence against Palestinians inside the occupied territories, which has little to do with laws inside Israel proper. Otherwise you'd have seen way more protests about Jewish-only roads, etc. The only thing that matters is the ability of western governments to close their eyes to direct violence, discriminatory laws that don't result in bodily harm have very little impact on that.

Jewish-only roads?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

starkebn posted:

How does Gaza or the West Bank differ from the Warsaw (or other) ghetto at this point. Would it help or hinder Palestinians to start using that language or comparisons?

No Dirlewanger Brigade. Yet. I think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Polls published in Maariv predict Likud would win 22 seats if the elections were to take place right now, they currently hold 18. It doesn't really matter either way, every possible coalition would have the exact same policies when it comes to Palestine.

Would they? Judging by what Ynet and the Times of Israel have been posting, and by his manoeuvring over the nation-state bill, Netanyahu seems to be trying to ditch the relative moderates in his coalition and tie himself tighter to the far-right zealots. If that plan goes through, I can see Israel's Palestinian policy getting even more brutal and far less apologetic for/euphemistic about said brutality.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This was alluded to earlier in the thread, but Gaza is presently under water and the UN has declared a state of emergency. Just in case, you know, you were thinking it looked like a nice place to move to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Personally, I'm hoping for PM Bibi with a stronger position. Israelis could use moderates with majority mandates.

The Insect Court posted:

I think ethnic cleansing is always wrong, but I realize that's not a very popular position in this thread. :shrug:

OK, guys, be honest, which universe are you posting from? We promise we'll stick to the Prime Directive. Unless our alternate selves try to turn us into their sex-slaves. That's just weird.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm glad Lapid took a beating cause that guy is just an imbecile.

Care to elaborate? I know about his mealy-mouthed comments on the evils of miscegnation, but a bunch of Israeli posters on another forum have been singing his praises and I want more ammo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Netanyahu has probably the most messianic Israeli politician holding a top ranking spot in his own party, Moshe Feiglin. All in all Israel is following the strategy secretly laid out by Netanyahu and Sharon in the early 2,000s, Bibi is acting exactly in accordance to the strategy he shares in the "secret recording" of a private meeting he had with that settler family which is exactly what Sharon said (paraphrasing) "Build now, build on every hill top, cause wherever we build we get to keep, the rest they will eventually have". This strategy seems to appease the messianic right, keep the world out of Israel's hair while radicalizing our the Jewish population to the point where they grow more sympathetic to the settlers.

Also this needs to be posted:

Got a source for that conversation? I'm having a tough time digging it up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

Terrorism is an emotive term people use to describe non-state violence they don't like. It doesn't have a real meaning.
State terrorism is an emotive term people use to describe state violence they don't like. It doesn't have a real meaning.

Seems like a pretty straightforward parallel to me.

I'd specify political violence. You rarely call a mugging terrorism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

is having anal sex with a jewish woman a prerequisite to having an opinion on possible violations of international humanitarian law perpetrated by israel? if so, brb

Only if she uses a strap-on and you aren't OK with that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A Reuters reporter saw Abu Ein's death. Looks like it was a neck chop, not a rifle blow, that killed him.

Holy poo poo, this ain't gonna end well. I don't even want to contemplate how Prime Minister Bennett might add to the situation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And just how enormously pissed off are the Palestinians at the moment? Is this a game-changer, or (horrible) business as usual?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The three hitler jugend members who've set fire to the Bilingual school will not be charged with hate-crimes or terrorism charges, the indictment lists the background to their crimes as being related by their own admission to a memorial ceremony for Yasser Arrafat that allegedly took place in the school a week before the attack, the funny thing is that this memorial service never happened, it was a slanderous lie spread by a kahanist journalist working for the channel one news (a government operated channel, FYI), given that this appears in the official indictment it would seem like the school have a legit cause to sue the channel, the reporter and the government for incitement, wonder if they'll go that route.

Anyway, apartheid justice etc,.

Links?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The three hitler jugend members who've set fire to the Bilingual school will not be charged with hate-crimes or terrorism charges, the indictment lists the background to their crimes as being related by their own admission to a memorial ceremony for Yasser Arrafat that allegedly took place in the school a week before the attack, the funny thing is that this memorial service never happened, it was a slanderous lie spread by a kahanist journalist working for the channel one news (a government operated channel, FYI), given that this appears in the official indictment it would seem like the school have a legit cause to sue the channel, the reporter and the government for incitement, wonder if they'll go that route.

Anyway, apartheid justice etc,.

And now the leadership of Lehava have been arrested for inciting terror. Weird mixed message there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone got that 'shooting and crying' post lying around?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree, strikes should be launched to eliminate this individual and bring them to justice. The Geneva Convention does not apply to regimes which employ literal, no-poo poo nazis and architects of shoah.

You... uhh... you do realise which war the Geneva Convention was written in response to, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Governance of state-on-state conflict. Neither Hamas nor Hezbollah are state combatants: they are terrorist organizations and unlawful combatants.

Goalpost shift. You used the word 'regime'. As in, government.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Uhm so apparently an Iranian general was among those killed by the IDF airtsrike in Syria - http://www.wsj.com/articles/iranian-general-killed-sunday-in-syria-1421678099

And now Israel is deploying Iron Dome batteries along the lebanese border - http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Report-Iron-Dome-deployed-to-northern-Israel-after-alleged-Syria-strike-388266

That WSJ article is paywalled. Got a full quote for anyone who doesn't want to give even more money to Rupert Murdoch?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty chill about them. Ta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I hear a lot about Lebanon being a disaster for the IDF, but I'm not au fait with the details. What went wrong, and how bad did it get?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Avshalom posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I go out of my way to piss people off and make them try to kill me in my day-to-day life.

Isn't that why we all joined SA?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

logosanatic posted:

Im just commenting that there are influential elements in the middle east pushing for a change in rhetoric in the muslim faith.

Dont get upset Im not saying sisi is martin luther.

And im posting in these forums precisely because its so difficult to find impartial information. I do have some limited time to do research but i exist in this world so want to know whats going on

Sisi is jumping on the 'Islam bad' bandwagon because the peaceful protesters he's gunning down are mostly political Islamists. The changes in Muslim rhetoric he's pushing for are ones that would weaken his opposition and allow him to tighten his stranglehold on his country. He's a really, really bad example to use.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It looks like a UAE backed rival for the leadership of the Palestinian Authority may be emerging and using Serbia as a base of operations:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/30/palestinian-president-rival-given-serbian-citizenship

I can't really add much to this since I'm unfamiliar with the internal politics of the PA but it certainly seems noteworthy. The article also goes on to talk about significant proposed investment in Serbia by the UAE, which again I don't know much about but is also interesting.

Dahlan? That evil fucker? Yeah, that'll help stabilise the situation.

As for anti-Semitism in Britain, the BBC did an analysis of the stats, and there's a lot of overhype going on there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Who's this by?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

I don't know what kind of opposite land you live in were the Arab Spring failed but it must be the same place were the Iranian army or a militia of Shia militants invaded several Iraqi cities and collapsed the country instead of a Sunni extremist group called ISIS. But if we are basing who gets nukes off of how good they are as people on your personal accepto meter we should be invading Israel and nuking Pakistan.

Ever heard of a little group called Hezbollah?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You're missing my point. Hezbollah is an Iranian-funded militia that is heavily responsible for propping up Assad's government, along with actual Iranian armed forces. The Assad regime has killed an order of magnitude more people and demolished an order of magnitude more real estate than IS, despite the latter's fearsome reputation and fervent desire to be seen as the most evil dudes on the planet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

But you guys, I planted a tree in Israel half a decade ago and was recently email'd a pic of the growing tree with a bird nestin on it.

Why do you want my tree to die by imposing unjust restructions upon Israel? What did my tree ever do to you? Does it not have a right to spread its roots?

... you know, MIGF, you're all right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mayor of Jerusalem sees ultra-Orthodox man getting stabbed by Palestinian, wrestles attacker to the ground. This should help his re-election chances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So dedicated he married her sister after she died.

Hey, might as well go for the next best option.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bpower posted:

Iraqis are taking back Tikrit from Isis. The operation is being lead by a senior commander from Iran's Revolutionary Guard. Lets all take a moment to thank Civilization's greatest ally in the region.

Let's be honest, though, this is not going to end well. The Badr Brigade are pretty seriously evil bastards, and the other militias taking part, like Kata'ib Hezbollah, are no better.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what's been the Israeli reception of the speech now it's done, then?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ey, gently caress you, that was a fine rear end post. And one I wish that he'd responded to but eh.
Can you legit not understand why people might be prejudiced towards Jewish people when every single mention of Israel gets tarred with discussions on Judaism? When you've been called an anti-Semite for what seems reasonable criticisms since you've been 13? When you're not from the only other country than Israel, the US, where Jewish people feature prominently, your views of Judaism might not be entirely accurate?

I've actually mellowed out a hell of a lot on Israel thanks to having finally engaged with Israeli people who don't just yell at me right away for being anti-Zionist but agree with some of my positions. Heck, even some folks on these forums helped humanize Israelis in a way that the people I indirectly engaged with in the NGOs didn't quite.

So, I'm not trying to shout you down. Just, suggest, you know, that unfair as it is, it's on you or people like me to tell others that Israel =/= Judaism and that there is depth and character to the conflict, not just Evil Yiddom striking down the innocent Palestinians like some folks I know seem to think.
When the only thing people know about Judaism is likely to be "Holocaust, don't eat pork and Israel", some folks might bring up the latter for some bizarre reason. I dunno, maybe they're just dickbags.

Dude, you're telling an ethnoreligious group of thirteen million people that it's their job to deal with your discomfort with them. Stop that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Avshalom posted:

I hope MIGF turns out to be a gay girl from Damascus

With ISIS knocking at the door? That seems a little dark even considering this thread's grand old tradition of elaborate revenge fantasies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fade5 posted:

Well then I guess I'll eventually welcome and give my support the new singular state of Israel. You guys had the chance to do the easier two-state way, now you get to go the more difficult one-state way. Good loving luck, and try to start treating the Palestinians better than we did the Native Americans.

To be honest with how loving sliced up and settled the West Bank is, and how much of it is already under Israeli control, the two-state solution has been almost impossible for years now anyway.

Wow, Israel even has their over version of the crazy fuckers still fighting Marbury vs Madison. It doesn't even surprise me anymore.

Hint - a Netanyahu-proposed one-state solution does not mean reaching out to Palestinians, but ethnically cleansing them even more thoroughly. We may well see a dent getting put in that enormous Palestinian population growth soon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Avshalom posted:

netanyahu has a small, blunt and hairless penis

Coming from you, I am not sure whether this is a compliment or not.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kulanu is definitely in, then?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

"Death to Israel" is not an acceptable policy framework from which to pursue an agenda that promotes peace and stability in the mideast.

Hasn't Likud just explicitly ruled out promoting peace and stability in the Middle East?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

They're working towards the one state solution now.

Possibly in a very definitive manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Jesus. Those are some strong words from the sitting President, as Israel goes.

The guy's hero and role model is MLK. Netanyahu's crack about Arab voters pushed his buttons hard.

• Locked thread