Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

mind the walrus posted:

Btw how is that resurgence of... er... SURGE doing? I think that one had a higher probability of long-term success since it was online-only.

Its still limited, but they've restocked it at Amazon at least twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

That (along with Anne Rice's vampire books) directly influenced this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhIEG3JYtg

(Disclaimer: I actually love this series, even though it is a twice-as-campy Canadian version of Angel with a fraction of the budget.)

Even better was the officially licensed Vampire: the Masquerade TV show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrKkCct_JI

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Every goddamn video game magazine from Electronic Gaming Monthly to Game Pro to Nintendo Power ran this contest every other year, upgrading the systems as new ones came out. Even as a teenager, I thought it was all a bullshit scam because no one has ever come forward saying, "Yep, I won ~~The Ultimate Gaming Rig!!©™~~ back then :smug:"

EDIT: Reply is not edit :derp:

Apparently someone's still doing this. I wonder how often they have to change their name/move.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

Anybody else remember On Cue? We had one in our mall in the late 90s, but I'm not finding much on the internet about them.

We had one. It was a division or owned by Sam Goody. Probably have better luck searching for that.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Man I really, really want to watch Hackers again. What a strange time it was indeed in the world that such a film could be produced and be completely in earnest.

Hackers is the best bad movie. For everything they get right, there's 3 that are just mind numbingly stupid.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Green Day will be classic rock in five years, if they aren't already.

They're in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I'd say they're there.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I absolutely have to know what Slick Willy has to do with Sonic though!

Especially since the first Sonic game came out in 91 when no one was aware of Clinton yet.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I had the Static-X album :(

The video for that song they had was on the Mac OS 8 install CDs for some reason.

Which was neat in a "look at this video playing on my computer!" way at the time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

I can't believe Cow and Chicken managed to get the eating carpet joke on air.

And the Chockey Chicken from Rocco's Modern Life.

There's a lot of stuff in Rocko's Modern Life that completely went over my head at the time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The best part is they started making JNCOs again! https://www.jncojeans.com/

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The Repo Man posted:

It's early 2000's, but it still feels pretty 90's to me (from the GIF thread)

Cultural Decades rarely line up with calendar ones. The "60s" didn't really get going until like 1964/65 and ended in 71 or so and so on.

Also, remember record stores? Where you'd go to buy like CDs and things?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

Holy poo poo, I had this on VHS when I was a kid! It looks flat now, but at the time, that poo poo was mindblowing.

I remember when Nintendo Power started hyping up the Nintendo 64 that cartoon was the the example they gave of it's power.

14 year old me was amazed.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my god I was just talking to my boss about Josta today, what are the odds

Man, if they could bring Surge back, they should bring Josta back.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I heard that the Madden ports for Dreamcast were great because you could use the little screen on the controller to pick your plays so the other guy can't see them

Nope, EA didn't bring Madden to the Dreamcast.

Sega's NFL2k series had that option and it was pretty neat, but it just had a list of the plays, so you had to know which name meant what.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

It was only later I discovered it was supposed to resemble chewing tobacco. But then in Canada, who did chaw? I literally never saw someone irl use it unti I was in my 20s and it was a toothless old man.

The 90s is when baseball players stopped doing chew. Was almost traditional for them to sit other bench and dip.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Up until a couple of years ago my aunt, who very rarely ventures far from home, would shove rolls of quarters into my cousins' hands as they were leaving after the holidays "for the tolls". They finally convinced her to stop it since the rolls just spent months clunking around in their cars until they found someplace to use them.

Those roads where you throw coins in a basket are (mostly?) long gone. Toll booths in general are disappearing with states increasingly going completely cashless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flP-o0ydkvo

Actually ran into toll booths coming home through Chicago not long ago. The booths weren't manned though and you had to put the toll into a machine if you didn't have an easy pass.

The new toll bridge in Louisville doesn't even have booths. They take pictures of your license plate and bill you.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember how the Aerosmith music videos had Liv Tyler in them and it was gross because it was her dad singing

And Alicia Silverstone who definitely qualifies as the most 90s thing.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Michael Bolton was everywhere in the 90s but I'm always surprised that he had such a long career.

Man I was listening to What A Cartoons latested episode and Bob Mackey was talking about how he got a video tape of all the pilots for adult swim and that reminded me of getting early as episodes of Aquateen and Sealab in QT and RM files. But I honestly cant remember if that was late 90s or early 2000s.

Early 2000s, Adult Swim wasn't a thing until then.

Fake Edit: Wikipedia says it debuted September 2001.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The 90s had a ton of random IP CCGs. Monty Python, and Doctor Who (pre revival) are the two that stand out to me as "really?"

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

But clearly, the makers of Jihad didn't see the crash coming

They changed the name long before then. Which is why my friends and I got into it. Local store was selling the old first edition cards with the different name/card backs for cheap.

We'd also heard it was based on the same thing as Kindred: The Embraced and were the right kind of nerd to think that was awesome.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

So which was worse, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, or Captain N, the Game Master?

trick question, it was Video Power, with that cartoon that had Max Force from NARC, Kuros from Wizards & Warriors, Tyrone from Arch Rivals, Kwirk the Tomato, and Bigfoot(?)

It should be noted that's Bigfoot the Monster Truck, not the sasquatch

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, during Super Bowl XXVI in 1992, and it got pretty decent ratings compared to the actual halftime show (Which was some ice capades stuff and Washington was beating Buffalo 24-0). The next year the NFL had Michael Jackson for halftime and nobody seriously tried to compete with that (Even though the game was meh as Dallas was similarly beating up Buffalo).

That was a thing in the 90s. I remember the "Butt Bowl" where MTV showed Bevis and Butthead during halftime.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

One summer my grandmother paid me 200bux to paint the side of her house that was all peeling. Which in the mid 90s was a hell of a lot of money. I listened to Stone Temple Pilots Purple, Pearl Jam Vs, Nirvana In Utereo, Sound Garden Super Unknown, Beastie Boys Ill Communication, and Beck's Mellow Gold. There was probably a mix tape in there too, but kids these days won't know the pain in the rear end it was to change tapes constantly, not to mention batteries.

I'm sure its been mentioned before, but the Yellow Sony Sports Walkman was such a ubiquitous piece of 90s tech. This is the exact model I had, which was awesome because it automatically flipped the tape when it finished the side!

Getting my first CD player and being able to skip to the song I wanted to listen to was a revelation. Finally technology working for me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

HOLY gently caress posted:

When my Tamagotchi broke I had a funeral for it and buried it in the garden :saddowns:

I miss those electronic toys from the 90s that probably are just apps now.

There is an app! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.tamagothiclassicus

Its probably on iOS too.

I had one that I kept alive for like a week, and then when it died I didn't bother with it again.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

YouTube had it for like $2 I think. I imagine most of the streaming services have it.

It was on netflix at one point, but must have dropped off.

That movie came out on home video around the time my english class was covering Romeo & Juliet. So I didn't do the reading and just watched it 5 or 6 times.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

The Foos song and Diddy song were the best

I'm a big fan of the "remix" of Green Day's Brain Stew. Which is exactly the same except they added Godzilla roaring over it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

namlosh posted:

This wasn’t mislabeled though... it was a bootleg from a concert of them performing the song from back when they were supposed to be the next great touring band after the Dead...

Or is that the joke and I am dumb?

Both are very possible

That's the joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hGSR5njZE

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Was having a discussion and got Surf Ninjas mixed up with 3 Ninjas and that led to this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLWmFpEouI

It belongs here.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

It's too bad Hogan is a garbage person, because that's a hell of a promo.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Guys, they bringing back Rockos Modern Life. On Netflix..

So I've heard. I didn't even have nickelodeon when Rocko was new, came to it much later.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

All this music talk made me think of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJZTfl3DmCU

Can't remember if it's been posted already, but it has all the late 90s excesses.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I can't remember which one I had, but I had me one of the MONSTER XL Super Soakers as a kid.

http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/SuperSoaker_monster_series.php

Not 90's. Very early 00's. Those things legit hurt. It was great IDK why my parents ever bought me one.

I remember getting the original Super Soaker back when it came out. They were a revelation.

Later my younger brother had one of these: http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Analysis/1996/super_soaker_cps2000.php

It had a power meter and took a good 3 minutes of pumping to max out. The tank only held like 2.5 shots if you maxed it out. This wasn't a problem if you were in the above ground pool FYI. COuld just drop down, fill up, pop up and blast fools.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Well I was today years old when I learned it's Ryu's/Ken's hands in that thing.

Same. I'd never put that much thought into it, but holy poo poo.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Owithey posted:

On a spotify deep dive I came across one of the most 90's tracks for me. Combining Nu-metal with happy hardcore makes it something special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfixWlzFZ9k

That may be the most 90s thing. Like playing 3 different songs I was into at the same time in 1998.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

uli2000 posted:

BMG > Columbia House. Sure, you only got like 8 CD's instead of 12, but you only had to buy one, not 4 or 6 or whatever. Columbia House DVD club, now that was the poo poo. I got so many loving DVDs from them in the early '00s, they did the same 8 for 1 type deals, sometimes even better. I remember whole forums devoted to getting the best deals from their DVD clubs.

Hell yeah. I did that for the majority of my DVD collection and my Mom kept up with it until like 2015 or something. None of those clubs were bad deals, you just had to be buying in bulk to get your per-Tape/CD/DVD cost down. Too bad they were products of the music labels and the musicians got nothing from their "sales"

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Transfers from Ball State declined rapidly after that.

As someone with a Ball U shirt somewhere deep in his closet, yes.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Sweevo posted:

What about .asf videos?

I downloaded a lot of lovely VCD .asf rips in my time. I liked them better because they could get the whole movie in one file.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

My childhood...

:negative:

Fun fact. Until like 2012, Pizza Hut was the #1 buyer of kale in the US. As you can see they used it to decorate the salad bar.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Vanagoon posted:

There's still a Pizza Hut like that in Henderson, TN (next to a Piggly Wiggly too)

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.433...!7i13312!8i6656

I imagine most have been documented, but you can totally tell what used to be a pizza hut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Thermos posted:

That's a great twitter.

The one here is pretty :effort:

I actually work across the street from a functioning pizza hut in that style. I'd take a picture but :effort: