Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That just reminds me of how in the MMO The Old Republic the "smuggler" class' outfit is what Han wore in the first movie, because that's obviously what all smugglers wear and not just a character's outfit. Its just like how in the first movie Luke and Obi Wan wear robes and that somehow becomes the Jedi outfit instead of just something people wear in a desert.

Or how parts of Darth Vader's suit ended up becoming Jedi armor in Clone Wars. It's not just something he wore, it's what Jedi wear when they go to battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

this is probably the most annoying thing about the EU, lovely writing aside. there aren't any nobody characters. If they've got a name, then they're one of the most important people in the galaxy. Hell one of the trash can robots almost wound up running the universe or something.

It's an entire thing filled entirely with mary sues

Wait, does this mean John Ratzenberger's character from Empire Strikes Back has a really detailed backstory that Cliff Claven would be proud of?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

PS Thrawn was a MASSIVE Mary-Sue character in the books, nerds

No poo poo. Dorie Miller might have shot down some Zeroes at the battle of Pearl Harbor and won the Navy Cross, but he never made it past Ship's Cook Third Class thanks to institutionalized racism against black people in the U.S. Navy. I'd imagine the xenophobic Empire, in which there are no aliens in it's military forces seen in the primary source and the only cooperation we see between the human supremacist Imperial Navy are either as outsourced bounty hunter "scum" or informants on Tattooine, would be even worse, despite Thrawn just being a humanoid with blue skin.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

I don't think it's ever explicit in any :quote: g-canon :quote: but I think it's not unreasonable to infer it from a number of factors including the contrast with rebel forces who were egalitarian enough to put a fish guy in charge and the detention officers reaction to chewie etc etc

Not just that, but we also have the bridge officers' reaction to aforementioned "scum" of lizard man Bossk, bug man Zuckuss, robot men IG-88 and 4-LOM, and the other bounty hunters, where we couldn't really tell what Boba Fett was and Dengar is looks like some subhuman mutant with his scars.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 30, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Meh. They were definitely cranking up the grittiness, but it looked interesting because you weren't a Jedi/Sith or TIE fighter or whatever the gently caress

Yeah, Guardians Of The Galaxy was popular because it was grungy Star Wars that focused more on a group of mercenary ne'er do wells instead of the honorable galactic elite like the Nova Corps.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

burritolingus posted:

There was an element of mysticism in Guardians of the Galaxy which they wisely left mostly unexplored, like how the Force was treated in Star Wars '77. That's one of the faults of Star Wars: focusing way too hard on Jedi stuff, particularly glowstick fights. Empire got it just right. It gave us just enough Jedi stuff with Yoda training Luke (which never involved either of them dancefighting with glowsticks) while cutting back to Han doing scoundrel stuff to keep it fresh. The prequels are almost 100% Jedi business, and it's weird because you wind up learning more about the Force in Empire because almost all the prequel Jedi business is glowstick dancefighting.

I know early on that a lot of people wanted more of the Cantina scene, with all these strange-looking characters and really simple way of worldbuilding, yet Lucas wanted to focus on the Skywalker family politics, especially in regard to the prequels.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

has there ever been a star wars anime

Not...officially...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

It's really just some American guy doing these in his spare time or for his portfolio, so no, it's not an actual Japanese animated piece from an established studio over there. I believe the same guy did a Doctor Who anime, with Joe Pertwee the 3rd Doctor (i.e. old dude who looks like he'd be Austin Powers' grandpa).

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 2, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

close, krav maga, swords and "lightsaber training".

Which is hilarious since you never see Boba Fett or any of the Mandolorians in KOTOR pull so much as a knife. They're all gun dudes. A better Mando training regime would be how to use a rocket pack and wrist flamethrowers.

pentyne posted:

She moved onto greener pastures.

Fun fact about Traviss: she's solely responsible for adding the plot element of "The Handmaid's Tale"-like rape camps to Gears Of War universe. These were never part of the original in-game universe (otherwise Dom's wife would be in one) and only came up in the novels and comics

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 2, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

There was a time when they used scale armor and swords but they still used those Boba Fett helmets? They've been using the same helmet design for what must be tens of thousands of years. :psyduck:

When they introduced General Grevious and gave him his convoluted backstory other than "cyborg Jedi-killer with trophy lightsabers", they explained his face was some ornamental face mask of his culture instead of a hundred other reasons.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I remember the Mandalorian party member in KOTOR 1 talked about his experiences in battles, but his language was so vague I couldn't even tell if he was fighting on the ground or piloting a spaceship or fighting with jetpacks in zero-G like in Enders Game's laser tag.

But then I found out that he was riding some sort of mechanical semi-sapient droid beast animal thing. Which they used instead of a normal vehicle with seats or protection for the pilot.

Actually, it depends on which KOTOR play. In the first one, it's very obviously described as this, because the "Basilisk War Droid" actually appeared in the Dark Horse EU comics first before KOTOR...

But in KOTOR 2, it was retcon by Chris Avellone and the game developers to be similar to a semi-autonomous single-man space bike, largely because they felt the bestial appearance was "stupid" and tried to reconcile it with the more modern design of the films.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

E: the galaxy is Somalia and the New Republic is the Transitional Federal Government.

Actually, the Jedi-led New Republic would be more like the Islamic Courts Union and the Empire is the Transitional Federal Government.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

What, no love for the unremarkable Calrissian that nobody remembers, Blando Calrissian?

And what about his extremely conservative, libertarian sibling, Rando Calrissian?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

redshirt posted:

Lando's so called lady skills were a complete failure in TESB. He hits on Leia non stop and he doesn't get anywhere.

Other than that, he had no ladies. Were there any other women in Cloud City?

He didn't have a chance to bring out the Blastech 44. It works every time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The best use of the Force yet.

(Probably needs to have a few frames shaved off to eliminate the blur from the crop tool)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

didn't they just sent literally one unsupported death star?

like i thought that was a plot point that they thought so highly of their invincible battle station and so little of the rebels they didn't even bother deploying it as part of a battle group with the wedge destroyers and some of those frigates from the X-wing PC game with like 50,000 lasers pouring out of them. You never see any other spaceships on the screen as they approach, and they only deploy 3 spacefighters* to stop them once they realized they messed up and the rebels are going to drop a hot proton load in their thermal exhaust port

This. Tarkin even says so, thinking that their point defenses could handle antique space fighters. It would be like someone attacking a Nimitz-class supercarrier with Zeros. Contrary to The Final Countdown, they wouldn't even launch fighters to intercept, the Phalanx guns and SAMs could take care of them.

Only in RotJ did they bring in a battle group because they were laying in wait for an ambush to crush the bulk of the Rebellion's space forces.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Darth Rainbow (Raynbow? Rainbough? Raynebough?) the secret apprentice/fuckboi to Lord Vader and long lost twin brother to at least Han Solo or Yoda

You mean Darth Reign'Beau?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

starship troopers is also like really right wing pro-military ooh rah war is great, only soldiers are allowed to vote

and he was like a huge libertarian nutjob, and both issac asimov and arthur c. clarke said he was a douche

Just to be fair, Asimov greeted female fans by shaking their breasts instead of their hands.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember reading Rico crowing about how MI suits are the awesome thing ever and could beat an arbitrary number of non-power-armored human troops :what: inducing. Wouldn't those stupid suits be easy MANPADS fodder as soon as they light the jump jets?

Not really. i'm going to preemptively :spergin: myself for this, but MANPADS would be effective maybe in open terrain and sky, where a MANPAD has an effective range of 3-4km, but the whole thing about MI suits is that we see them used in urban warfare against a relatively-equal technological alien culture, jumping from building to building. In most urban warfare, the engagement range is something like 150m to 200m if you're lucky. The minimum distance the tracking will engage on most MANPADs is between 200m for something like the Stinger to 600m for it's Russian equivalent. At that point, you're better off using a RPG, since they're cheaper and you can carry more of them, but even then, hitting man-sized targets with RPGs is hard, let alone a fast moving man-sized target like a powered suit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you can make fast, flying, nuke slinging robot suits then you can make something to shoot down those fast, flying, nuke slinging robot suits.

The only thing that can take a fast, flying, nuke-slinging robot suit is another fast, flying, nuke-slinging robot suit (or a giant, nuke-slinging cybertank like an Ogre or a Bolo), which is why we never see that in the novel. It's either skinnies, who are capable of doing so but don't, and the bugs, who have no need for such things.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

fan films are the saddest loving thing, it's basically everybody involved admitting that they can't hack it in the real world so instead they ride the coattails of a popular thing in exchange for never being able to profit off of or even officially show the drat thing

To be honest, most of the early fan films were mostly portfolio work. One of the enlightening ones was "Grayson", where the director even made a making of video where he broke down what it took, how he cast the film, how he budgeted his film, etc. The point is that guy already had done some commercial work (the guy he cast for Superman, for instance, was a guy he used previously as a football player for a cable TV commercial) inbetween waiting tables as most Hollywood folk do, so he made it to flesh out his demo reel.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

He was in one of the Indiana Jones movies afterwards so I guess he didn't feel too bad.

He's BullockLt. Eckhardt in the Tim Burton Batman.

If we didn't have Porkins, we wouldn't have Bullock in Batman: The Animated Series.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

lol the part of Jar Jar's Wookieepedia entry that covers everything after the prequels is three paragraphs long and is basically "Jar Jar was definitely alive but did nothing ever again"

The closest I think we've gotten, outside of the Tony Millionaire comic, is this image of what probably happened to all the Gungans when the Empire came around...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Padme says ppl are dying in the senate or w/e, and it's not b/c the battledroids are just shooting random Naboos... I ain't seen the movie in 10 yrs gimme a break

Padme's pretty much the same Kuwaiti girl who saw "Republican Guard soldiers throwing infants out of incubators" who not only turned out to have never been in Kuwait for years but was also a member of the Kuwaiti Royal Family.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 27, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I like how the star destroyers were supposed to be near-indestructible, unless they were fighting 3 x-wings then they be hosed lol

You mean, "gimped by a planet-based ion gun".

Although one of the cool bits I'll give the EU is that ion cannon was supposedly manned by a crew of 100-something Alderaan refugees-turned rebels.

They also never made it off Hoth. :black101:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8YIR60Ij0

you cant tell me you didnt cheer when you were a kid when those transports got away

that ion cannon loving owned

The great thing about this is that the Imperials are so full of their own bullshit that they drop in right next to Hoth so they can get owned by that ion cannon, instead of hanging back out of orbit, setting up a perimeter out of range of that gun and picking off the transports before they leave the system.

This is what ends up getting that admiral killed by Darth Vader, because he hosed up big time by jumping the gun and made everyone look real bad.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

The ooine thing is canon

I remember thinking that Dantooine and Tatooine sounded way too familiar, especially with Fisher's delivery when Leia rats out the fake rebel base.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Its being reported that Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman have all joined the cast for The Force Awakens. Meaning that the fight scenes are about to get sick as hell.

I've already made the jokes that they should change the subtitle to "Lightsaber Stab-And-Drag" and "Force Pushed Into Hard Corners".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Just waiting for someone to edit the kitchen scene to change the knives to lightsabers.

No, the lightbulb from the fight scene with Mad Dog in the first film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's originally from the 1970s Marvel comics:

Note that he was apparently inspired by Bugs Bunny and appeared 7 years before Bucky O'Hare, that other green gun-toting spacefaring rabbit.

This showed up on a friend's Facebook feed. He'd been reading through those Marvel SW books and came across Lando dressed up as Captain Harlock.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Marvel must have gotten some Captain Harlock tapes while they were working on Spiderman with Toei.

It depends. Captain Harlock was shown on Japanese-language TV outlets in Los Angeles and New York in the late '70s, shown up on Quebecis TV when the French localization aired, and then distributed by Harmony Gold on syndicated TV in the mid-80s. And, even then, he had shown up in Roger Corman film localization of Galaxy Express 999 in 1980.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lote posted:

Obscure Sith Lords:

Darth Insanious

Who you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? :ese:
Don't you know I'm sitho?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

"Lando sends his regards, Jabba".

quote:

Are those Klingon Bird Of Preys? They don't really follow any design seen previously in Star Wars.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

these are battletech books from japan

(I own them, because I like the cover artist, and asked someone to "find out what these books are" for me and they ended up just sending me copies)

That's not the art for Battletech in Japan. That's the Mechwarrior siderules (why it says Battletech Roleplay underneath the kanji in katakana). Also, it's probably why there's a heavy emphasis on characters than mecha.

This is Japanese Battletech...

That said, whoever got some good and popular artists at the time to do those books. Studio Nue for the main book and Kenichi Sonoda for the Mechwarrior rules.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

If it ends up literally being Apocalypse Now set in Star Wars then I will officially forgive the prequels, EU and everything else. Bonus points considering Apocalypse Now was originally supposed to be directed by George until he dropped out.

I actually want a found-footage film of George Lucas and John Milius going out to film Apocalypse Now in Vietnam in 1968 as they had planned when graduating from USC-LA (which would likely have them dropped in the middle of the Tet Offensive) and the whole thing ends as a mash-up of both films with John wielding a flaming napalm-covered sword at hordes of Viet-Cong and shooting down helicopters with a M16 in the other while George films it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

oohhboy posted:

That is a holy poo poo amount of effort. He could have used so many short cuts to reduce the amount of work without impacting the look, but he goes and over animates everything while screaming gently caress it lets do this. Those mega gratuitous flyby passes, swings of the camera, even when in simple panning shots he animates the slight changes in angle. Well done and I can't imagine the number of man hours commited.

I'm not sure if it helps or hurts the reputation but he did a lot of those flyby passes rendering them in a 3D program then tracing over them, instead of cel-shaded rendering them inside the engine.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EU is definitively no more

The Force Awakens celebration revealed the name of the two factions in the new trilogy and they aren't The Empire and The Rebel Alliance. Or The New Republic.

The Stormtroopers are supposedly part of The First Order, while the rebels are now called the Resistance.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

blowfish posted:

beeb boot beeee boooo booo bzzzzzzt*

*don't droidspeak-shame

Hey, if you want rights, then speak the language. First you take our jobs, next you'll want to get on the Galactic Empire's welfare train!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Just for reference. I could be wrong on this but the whole reason half those characters have names is because of trading cards and action figures.

Yes, such names like "Hammerhead", "Walrus Man", "Snaggletooth" and "Squid-Head". :cthulhu:

Fake edit: Oh poo poo, I never knew that Jabba's guards are named "Klaatu" , "Barada", and "Nikto".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

5er posted:

The only EU I would've accepted as canon was Robot Chicken.

No kidding. Robot Chicken Sheev, best Sheev.

Also, I like that they just take the wind out of Boba Fett's sails whenever the chance, such as him sexually harassing Han while he's frozen or when he's stuck hallucinating while being digested in the Sarlaac.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Bible posted:

How about the little rat thing Jabba ate? Was it Force sensitive? How many Death Star plans did it steal?

Salacious Crumb? He might have not been Force-sensitive or stole the Death Star plans, but he was apparently some sort of criminal espionage genius who was working to overthrow Jabba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

I can't decide if the opening is lazy or a cute reference.

The "sound of space" withstanding, I find it hard to believe that a Star Destroyer could aim its turbolaser batteries rearward, since they're all mounted forward. The arrowhead shape makes it perfect for concentrating forward fire and nothing else.

• Locked thread