Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

THF13 posted:

Any specific type of wallet? I really like my Saddleback Front Pocket ID wallet. Leather, 4 colors to choose from, 100 year warranty. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/frontpocketidwallet

I got one of these and it's wearing well. A bit thicker than my old one due to substantial stitching and better leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

colas posted:

Beyond normal cleaning, what do you goons use to keep your house/apt/river van smelling good?

I have some incense in mild scents that I burn now and then. Downside is it will make you want to do yoga.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Anybody have a favorite form of ant murder? They are all over my bathroom and it's disgusting. I've been using Terro ant bait, but I think they've developed an immunity or something because they swarm the bait and lick it clean and I replace the thing every few days and there are still so many ants. So, so many ants.

Terro doesn't kill them outright. The workers sop it all up and take it back to the queen. If you have a shitload of ants it will take a while for the Terro to do its work but it will eventually work. Just keep replacing the bait until it wipes them out. I'm in an apartment building and I think I was drawing them in from all over. I made sure to put the bait in a spot that was as close as possible to where they were coming in. That kept scouts and wanderers to a minimum.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Recommend me the best bed sheets.

Breathability/coolness is big, I sleep really hot (would like to feel cold when sleeping instead), and also if they are on Amazon that would be even better.

I've been buying Modal jersey finish sheets for years now. Although they wear out fairly quickly they're soft and feel cool in the summer. They're absorbent and dry quickly so if you have sleep apnea sweats that comes in handy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Lunchboxx posted:

I need a small indoor grilling/cooking device. Should I just go with a George Foreman grill or is there a specific something or other that I need to get? A smaller grill is preferable and price doesn't matter.

I have a Sanyo electric grill and although it's annoying to clean it gets the job done.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Drogadon posted:

I need some good coasters that absorb water from condensation, is there such a thing?

Yes! You want some Thirsty Stone sandstone coasters. My mom bought me a set in the '90s and they're only now worn enough to need replacing. They soak up condensation and they'll never stick to your glass. Goddamn I'm buying new ones right now because of you. :argh:

http://amzn.com/B001CKSZ2M

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Big question:

I'm looking to buy this TV
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T63YUJO/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1442869761&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=vizio

For the first time in my life I'm going to buy a sound system and a Blu-ray player that is decent.
I'm lost as to what is good and what is not. There are some that look good to me, a casual user, but the freaky audiophiles make the dumbest complaints.
My living room is not huge and I'd like to go for a 7.1 setup but 5.1 is probably fine.
Budget is around $300 but fairly flexible.

I bought a Sony system to replace my pre-HD Pioneer 5.1. Other than a balky optical disc reader it's worked quite well, and I especially like the embedded Netflix in comparison to the one built into my LG TV or my Tivo.

http://amzn.com/B00C27S0M4

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I appreciate the recommendation but $5-700 for a sound system is well beyond what I can spend.

Sorry, I didn't see that it was no longer in production. They might have something current that replaced it. It was $450 when I bought it last summer which I figured would be in your range.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Also shout out to whoever recommended these coasters, they rock

Thirsty Stone natural solid sandstone coasters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CKSZ2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_EadcwbDR8QGRN

Most just spill moisture off the side anyway so it's just decorative. These are tits

I'll pass that on to my mom since she's the one that originally bought mine for me. :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gilgameshback posted:

You might also consider a cyclocross bike

I'm at work and in pain trying to stifle laughter from looking a bit too long at your avatar. :laugh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Happy with my Fenix LD20. I use it primarily in "Turbo" mode, and it's for alerting drivers when I'm crossing streets at night on my way home. I've come to rely on the strobe mode as the last ditch effort to keep idiots from running me over.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

hamsystem posted:

Looking for some wireless earbuds to take to the gym. I've been reading mostly on the Jlab Epics and Jaybird X2's but I'm open to suggestions. $150 is about my upper limit.

I'm quite happy with my Plantronics Backbeat Fit earbuds. Good sound quality, battery lasts a long time. http://amzn.com/B00KJLMBQQ

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Worn them with my Ray Ban wireframes and they're okay. Earspace gets crowded.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I did not know such things existed. :toot:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

On the topic of rain and backpacks I have a Timbuk2 that I protect with a rain cover. The cover packs very small and is easy to use.

https://amzn.com/B0019DCH9O

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Using a scrotum for bag protection seems appropriate if you've got the balls to pull it off.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Do not avatar shame.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cordura is a brand name for nylon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

I'm looking for a windshield mount for my cell phone. The swivel in the one that came with has worn out and won't stay in place anymore.

Make sure there are no restrictions where you live on windshield mounts. They're not often well-publicized.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

life is a joke posted:

Anyone try them "me undies" that are always advertised on podcasts? I'm usually fine with the $15 three-pack at H&M but I could stand to upgrade items that I have on me almost all day every day.

I bought these and unlike the ExOfficio pair I tried they do not have maddeningly itchy seams. Very comfortable and fit a skinny dude like me quite well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Pecker flaps in underwear are like dumb fabric airlocks that want to strangle your johnson.

Let it all hang out. :getin:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My parents already had a Hudson's Bay blanket when I was a child. They eventually gave it to my brother when he got married. The blanket is probably 50 years old and is still worth using, no fraying, no holes.

On the other hand my knockoff HB blanket is still in use after about 20 years so... :shrug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Grem posted:

Guys I still need a mop. Help me out.

I've wound up buying mostly Libman brushes and mops. No issues so far with these delicate, high tech implements.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Counterpoint:
I bought some of those and, perhaps due to a manufacturing error, tore up my tendons and are 100% unwearable.
I could not return them to Macy's either since I had worn them on the street.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

we are the Funyuns posted:

Are those two left shoes?

It's Eugene Levy's character from Best in Show, who had two left feet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

.Z. posted:

My personal favorite is this: http://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell
amzn link: https://www.amazon.com/SlimFold-MICRO-Soft-Shell-Wallet/dp/B00TXP8AAA

It's the slimmest bifold I know of that isn't made out of tyvek. I've had mine for two years and it still as good as new.

If you want a slimmer bifold, you'd have to go either the dynomighty wallet already linked above or SlimFold's own tyvek wallet. But I'd warn against them with the existence of the Slimfold Softshell. Tyvek wallets start looking pretty ragged after a few months. With the softshell you get good enough slimness and no ragged appearance.

I got one of the micro plain Tyvek ones and although the corners crunched up pretty quickly it's a little slimmer and lighter than my Saddleback Leather mini wallet so I'm hoping it will last.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Looking for a cheap coffee maker or electric kettle for my cube at work for tea/instant noodles.

I've been happy with this T-Fal electric kettle: https://amzn.com/B0086UJQN8

Not sure if there's a smaller capacity one if size is an issue. It's not too big as it is.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Can anyone recommend a lotion or something for the backs of my hands? They get terribly dry in the winter and the only thing that seems to work is petroleum jelly, which is very gross.

After many years of switching from one product to the next and always being let down I've come across Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion Fragrance Free. Seems to be the best combination of staying on the skin without being greasy and yucky.

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Nov 9, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol how did y'all not learn about concave or convex mirrors in school?

Vampire school! :drac:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thwomp posted:

To start with The Sweet Home recommendations, they recommend an Oster model that's about $30 for a two-slot model. They also have a 4 slot recommendation if you want to spend $70.

I have their pick for toaster oven, and quite frankly, it's amazing. Small footprint so it doesn't take up too much space. Can toast 4 slices of bread at once. Heats up quickly for quick baking (I've done pizza rolls, cookies, chicken nuggets, and more). My only gripe with it is the baking temperatures aren't US standard. Fahrenheit is listed but you can only choose 320 instead of 325. Or 355 instead of 350. Not a huge deal but everything else is so good I don't mind.

I recently purchased Breville's mini smart oven to replace my long departed $20 Black and Decker and so far it's been quite good. Very easy to clean, flexible in rack heights and temperatures and for once the cooking time listed on packages closely matches the oven's performance.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

uwaeve posted:

What're the couple of goon-approved underwear brands? Need good boxer briefs, feel like it's come up in this thread but can't find it immediately.

MeUndies. After years of Jockey and Hanes brand boxer briefs I'm never going back.

I tried one pair of Ex-officio and threw them out. Scratchy seams.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Have you considered getting a monitor mount instead?

I read this as a response to the undershirt post. :downs:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

About to start a dedicated midnight shift so I need pretty much everything that can help you sleep soundly through the day.

My bed room window is set up in such a way that black out curtains are a no go so I'm thinking sleep mask, white noise machine (I live in the city), and some kind of sleep aid. For that sleep aide I'm looking for a tea or maybe melatonin. Nothing too hardcore.

On the white noise front I have a Philips clock radio with an iPod/iPhone dock. I used an iPhone app called Ambience to make my own white noise mixes and then offloaded them to my computer so I could edit them down into seamless loops.

I love having just the right amount of bass and treble noise to try and mask the stupid all night bullshit from my neighbors.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If that's too quiet you can always go a little louder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-R90qgbiic

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I actually do keep a little single LED headlamp in my weed kit so I can see what I'm doing while watching a movie with the lights off or whatever.

Doesn't it bother the other people at the cinema?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

evobatman posted:

Buy a home theatre receiver with HDMI-CEC and build yourself a sweet surround system. There should be shittons of cheap full-HD receivers out there now that people are upgrading to 4K. I have a Sony STR-DH520 and love it to death because it just works after setup and I never have to tinker with it.

When I finally moved from SD to HD a few years ago I made a Sony Blu-Ray receiver the center of my system and other than the occasional glitch it's made things easy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

unbutthurtable posted:

There's also this, which in my experience is a little more focused on the radio than the music: http://youarelistening.to/newyork

If you like this sort of thing SomaFM has a lovely one with Apollo recordings: https://somafm.com/missioncontrol/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I just purchased a bunch of emergency food, but uh apparently I need boiling water for it.

Can someone suggest to me one of those survival emergency water boiling things? I would prefer to be able to purchase it from Amazon.

If you have MREs get the heating pouches. Just make sure you have a rock or something.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I want a robot vacuum that will smoke my cigarettes for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

The Suit Supply stuff is <500. The Blue Line especially. If you happen to live in a city that has a store to check them out.

I got a suit from them and am very happy with it. I'm hard to fit and my one "tailored" suit still wasn't quite right. The one I got from Suit Supply was an improvement.

I will definitely go back to them if I need more suits.