Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's a terrible thing, but it's weird that the commercial undermined the marketing premise that had been in play for several years, which was "Parents, buy this elf doll and book and have a game with your kids where you pretend it's real."

I'm pretty sure the premise is actually for a bunch of stay-at-home moms with nothing better to do to post on Facebook about the "cute, clever, and totally original" places they hide their Elf, so that other do-nothing stay-at-home moms can comment on what a cute, clever, and totally original job they did at hiding their Elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Not gonna lie, I was thinking pyramid scheme, like Amway.

I assumed it was some marketing or consulting agency.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Murderion posted:

Back to twitter fuckups, energy firm British Gas decided to host an AMA on the same day it announced a 10% price hike in time for the start of winter. The British public laid down some sick burns in an effort to keep warm.

Speaking of dumb Twitter mistakes:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Reminds of Sony(?) promoting God of War(?) by planning to sacrifice a goat.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

pentyne posted:

The Monopoly disaster where it turned out that since starting the annual contest all the winning pieces were stolen and funneled to family and friends by the guy in charge of distributing them.

Wait a minute...a higher-up guy at the marketing company in charge of doing the Monopoly game admitted to performing fraud, and yet somehow McD's had to PAY them?!

I't says "breach of contract," so I'm guessing McD's just cut off all ties with them, with broke the contract, but you'd think someone at the marketing company committing fraud and, essentially, stealing money from McD's would be a valid reason to break the contract.

And again, I know very little about this sort of thing, but shouldn't whoever was underwriting these promotions/contests have noticed this?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My girlfriend reminded me of this horrendously stupid Levi's ad campaign:

http://www.businessinsider.com/levis-love-your-body-campaign-only-applies-to-skinny-girls-2012-2?op=1

quote:

Even though the ad features plus-sized models Sabina Carlson, Marquita Pring, McKenzie, and Ashley Graham — whose sizes range from US 12 to US 16 and hips range from 44” to 47” — the ad says they are all size 32.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The perfect accompaniment for this alcohol-flavored candy!

Jelly Belly has tons of alcohol flavors.

Pina Colada, Margarita, Strawberry Daiquiri, Mojito, etc...

They used to have one called Champagne Punch that was my all-time favorite as a kid, but they stopped making it for some reason.

Edit: I'm aware there's a plain-old "champagne" flavor, but the old champagne punch flavor was better. Though I'm sure one can make a reasonable facsimile from a champagne and a tutti-frutti, or something.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Jan 25, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

LumpyGumby posted:

Its always funny to see when people come in asking for the little roses that come in tiny glass pipes though. Even funnier when "No, the wooden ones won't work, they have to be the ones in the glass."

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secret-criminal-uses-stuff-they-sell-in-gas-stations/

quote:

Have you ever wondered what kind of awful husband buys his wife one of those cheesy fake roses in a glass tube? They're such lame gifts, but you see them everywhere. If stores keep stocking them, someone must be buying them, right? What kind of relationship transgression can be fixed with a $1 gas station purchase? Failure to DVR the right television show usually requires more apology effort than that.

If you've had suspicions similar to those just expressed, which I highly doubt you have until now, I'm glad to report that they are not unfounded. There is in fact only one occasion when buying your woman a rose in a glass tube is appropriate, and that, of course, is if you're going to smoke crack together, which, in turn, means you're probably dating Courtney Love.

This one isn't even trying to hide it:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The thing about ice cream is that size only partially matters. In the US, ice cream can legally have 100% overrun, meaning that literally half the volume in a container can be air. The cheaper the ice cream, the more likely they will get to this 100% mark.

You certainly want SOME overrun, otherwise you'd always have super hard ice cream (that's also why ice cream that's melted and refrozen is rock hard, all the microscopic air bubbles throughout the ice cream are gone,) but good companies don't go as high as 100%.

Now whether or not it's better than you get more volume or more weight for your money is a personal choice...more volume can feel like you actually get more, since the average person doesn't weigh their portions, they just go buy what looks like the amount they want. But just be aware the price per pound might not be as good as a "dense" ice cream.

Ideally, all we'd have to do is look at unit price, but there's not a lot of consistency there...one store might show unit price in pounds or ounces, in which case great. But another store might show it in quarts, and a third might mix and match.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

At large Australian supermarkets, the labels on the shelf give the price for the item and for a fixed quantity, so if one brand is selling 200g of cream cheese for $4.10 and another brand is selling 250g for $5.30 it will also tell you that the first one is $2.05/100g and the second is $2.12/100g so you can see at a glance which is cheaper, no maths needed. It's not required for every shop to do it, but it's really handy at the ones that do.

They have to do this in the US too, but as I said previously, it's not always the same consistent UNIT.

For some things, like milk, it'll always be the same. If you go to a store, all the milk will give the price for the gallon/quart/whatever of milk, and next to it, it will show the unit price (probably in dollars per quart,) so you can compare all the milk prices.

But some things have the potential to be listed in different units, like my ice cream example. I don't know if it's up to the store or the manufacturer, but you can easily have one brand of ice cream show the unit price in dollars/quart, but then another brand will be in dollars/pound.

Produce can also be annoying. Most bulk produce will already be in dollars/pound, but sometimes it might be dollars/each. Like, say, all cucumbers of this type of $1 each. But the other kind of cucumber next to it is $1/pound, so now you've got to weight the $1/each cucumbers to see if they average over a pound each and are the better deal if you're that serious about savings.

Things like bags of apples and oranges are big offenders here. The bags will just say "$5 each!" and the unit price will also show it as $5/unit, so it's hard to compare to the bulk apples that are priced at, like, $1.50/pound without checking the weight on the bag itself doing the math.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Feb 13, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Oh man, I was hoping it was going to be the NCIS "two people/one keyboard" hacking scene. :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Lap-Lem posted:

And every single town off the freeways will have at least one mom and pop greasy spoon diner, that will make you contemplate on existence as you ponder how they managed to make toast in bacon grease. They won't even ask you if you want coffee, because you want coffee.

I've never been anywhere in middle America that had a chain place that didn't have twice as many mom and pops. It's almost always comfort food, but whats better when you are on the road then comfort food? Something that doesn't cause gastronomic distress? pshaw.

My last job involved a LOT of travel to small towns in northern NY and New England, and most of these "mom and pop" places have the worst God damned food...I'd usually rather go to a loving Applebee's or Chili's if there was one (often there wasn't, because these are seriously tiny towns.) Bland and muishy is the name of the game, which is why it makes sense that most of their clientele are senior citizens who can gum down the food and not have it upset their digestion.

I'm not saying that I need some gourmet, artisinal burger that costs $35, but I'd also rather it not be literally the exact same un-salted, un-seasoned Sysco-brand frozen patty I was served in my high school cafeteria...with the exact same disgusting, soggy*, crinkle-cut fries, to boot.

*Soggy except for that one fry that is so overcooked it's basically a fry-shaped rock.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

What? That's stupid, everyone knows Orcas live on the moon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

As far as I know, it's only in the US where they use HFCS more than cane sugar, because the American corn lobby is so strong.

Both that and higher sugar tariffs in the US.

The largest difference is from the 80's - late 90's, which I believe is when most producers switched to using mostly HFCS over cane sugar.

But yeah, I am still baffled why Coke never released their version of "Coke Throwback" with all cane sugar like Pepsi did. Especially since they already have bottling plants that MAKE all cane sugar Coke.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not quite marketing, but who the hell picks out the horrible Muzak + "thank you for holding, we appreciate your patience!" messages I've been listening to for 15 minutes now (and this is for a .gov line)? While I'm sitting here with the phone stuck to my head, it occurs to me that ClearChannel (or any paying ASCAP entity) could make a mint piping some quasi-popular songs, plus advertising, versus this endless loop of off-brand Kenny G .

For my job, I have to frequently call Dell tech support. They have ONE single song that loops, it lasts all of one minute before restarting, and it's some terrible Kenny-G-lite muzak.

And of course it's piped through the phone lines that don't have the bandwidth for music so it frequently has parts that are cut off, garbled, etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

You know, I gotta say that the seafood industry convincing the public that lobster is FANCY, and rich people food that you pay a premium for, and not literal bottom-feeding, sea-cockroach, trash-food that the poor working class at one point refused to eat was a pretty damned GOOD move in marketing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

pookel posted:

I just assumed it was Leslie Nielsen. That might improve the movie.

Yes, I too enjoy spooky skeletons.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

pienipple posted:

Or buy truffle butter and put it on the steaks before cooking

:stare:

Uhhh...gonna pass on that one, thanks

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Yup, this sounds like an example of very good marketing. When everyone thinks of the product category they think of your product, combined with a product category virtually no-one would have previously thought about.

Actually, from the company's perspective, that's bad.

They work had to trademark their names, and hate it if the generic/competitor's version is called theirs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, you people have hosed up sex ed. I guess I take it for granted that I went to school in God-less, liberal New England.

I think it started in 6th grade, and that was just pretty basic stuff that everyone knew by then. Man has a weiner, girl's got a clam, smoosh 'em together, out pops a little man.

But then in 7-10th grade is when we had more serious stuff. Basically the same class, but taken, like, 3 loving times between junior high and high school.

We learned about STDs, proper condom usage, other BC methods like pills, diaphragms, sponges, vasectomies, etc...Even had units on breast, cervical, and testicular cancer. Lots of giggling and jokes when it came to fondling the fake silicone breasts and balls.

The only part I remember being sort of "anti-sex" was in one of the classes, one day some pregnant/just given birth teens who I imagine were fulfilling some sort of community service thing came in and were like "yeah, don't get knocked up as a teenager."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

When I was a kid (in the 80s) I remember two different kinds of candy cigarettes. There were ones that were just candy sticks that were kind of colored like cigarettes and ones that were gum in paper wrappers made up to look like cigarettes. They were the ones with the sugar dust in them that you could blow out.

Then once all the "smoke" was gone, you'd try to unwrap the gum, realize half the paper won't come off, and resign yourself to chewing the paper, too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Plus, that was back when Billy West and JK Simmons were the voices of the M&M's, so that's something, I guess?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Chewie was snubbed again!

At least Boyega is still there in minuscule form.

I'm sure there's a joke about how Japan* loves robots and the droid being front and center.

*Or China? I'm pretty sure it's not Korean, beyond that, I can't tell.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

AgentF posted:

What happens if you put your dick into this thing? At best you have cold panels with hard edges. At worst you're sticking it into machinery.

You end up with this guy writing disparaging books about you:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Everything about this marketing video for Frontier Airlines new seats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2QOhKnW54

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Remember "Got ________?"

Hungry for apples?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wait...the "drop mic" feature didn't ACTUALLY send the recipient a gif of a Minion dropping a mic and then set things to "mute" without confirmation/a way to undo, right? It just made it look like it did from the sender's POV, right?

Right?

Google couldn't possibly be so stupid as to think actually having that appear in emails and auto-mute them was a good idea, right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

dsriggs posted:

Ooh, that wacky Joker! Whatever will he get up to next?? :allears:

Hopefully learning how to spell "haha" correctly.

It was spelled the same way on the Robin suit in BvS:

There's no trailing 'H', God-dammit! :argh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I Am Crake posted:

It says “HAHAHA”. You can see the third A above the S in “JOKE'S”

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's wrong with a name like Mr. Spaghetti? :saddowns:

Nothing, IMO. Mr.Shpaghetti is a great name for a dog. Fun, whimsical, and the "Mr" on the front adds a nice air of fake-formality to nicely juxtapose to the silliness of the spaghetti. And if you read the link below you can see the origin of the name does have (very loose) ties to the MBTA.

The police department were just being a bunch of unfunny pricks, though, and clearly wanted a "cool" name. I think they went with Hunter?
http://www.metro.us/boston/mbta-police-announce-name-for-new-k-9-recruit-after-asking-twitter-for-help/zsJpdg---4WBKiHw77eis/

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's wrong with Boaty McBoatface? :saddowns:

Boaty McBoatface, on the other hand, is a poo poo name. It's the epitome of lazy ,"money cheese lol" style humor, and a bad example at that. Using the previous example, that would be like calling the dog Doggy McDogface. It's dumb, there's no sincerity, no heart.

Hell, even something like Boaty McScience, or Science McBoatface would be better, since it's a scientific research vessel. Make it somehow appropriate? Like...any drat boat could be Boaty McBoatface, so why this one?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Does someone have a link to that SA-Mart thread where a goon literally scammed a bunch of other goons into his fake Lootcrate-esque service?

IIRC, he was literally sending out his trash in boxes at like $20-$25 a pop, "guaranteeing" that there was at least $30 or so worth of merch in them.

He even showed pictures of his company's "office" that some other goon figured out was just a loving conference room in some university's student union.

Hell, it might even have already been mentioned/linked to in this thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I was getting (and enjoying) SkinnerBox for 9 years, but then suddenly we all discovered it was a FAKE SkinnerBox and the real SkinnerBox showed up instead.

We weren't even all the way through our first box before we discovered the new/real SkinnerBox was terrible, so we complained until we got the Fake SkinnerBOx box.

Then we all just pretended like it never happened.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I always wondered who was buying these

Joe Biden?

Atmus posted:

I had some Sara Lee bread last 6-8 months without mold. I didn't have the nerve to see if it still tasted good, but the ducks didn't mind. I didn't stick around to see if they died or mutated or whatever though.

You shouldn't feed ducks bread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every second of every flight you are breathing in dozens of people's recycled farts. Enjoy your flight!

Seats ain't non too clean, either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GWXinarYic

That's a bus, but I imagine the same principle applies.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bad timing on this sort-of-PSA/self-promotion ad that ran in my local paper:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

For home use, just stick with a B&W laser. If you really need color just go to Kinko's FedEx Office and make them print it.

Seriously, how often does the home user (excluding someone with a home office type deal) need to print in color? I'm lucky in that I am allowed "limited and responsible" (according to the employee handbook) personal printing at work, and even with that freedom, I print something at work in color maybe once every other month?

It'd only cost me my time and like $10 a year total if I had to go to a printing place/FedEx.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

And putting the 99 cents on the can itself so resellers need serious balls to mark it higher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUZ2sVjLfY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

A lot of the above is also part of why America gave prohibition a shot- we as a nation really did have a problem with alcohol because it was so economical to produce.

I've read/seen stats about pre-prohibition drinking in America and it really was off the charts bananas:

quote:

By 1830, alcohol consumption reached its peak at a truly outlandish 7 gallons of ethanol a year per capita. Via Okrent:

“Staggering” is the appropriate word for the consequences of this sort of drinking. In modern terms, those seven gallons are the equivalent of 1.7 bottles of a standard 80-proof liquor per person, per week—nearly 90 bottles a year for every adult in the nation, even with abstainers (and there were millions of them) factored in. Once again figuring per capita, multiply the amount Americans drink today by three and you’ll have an idea of what much of the nineteenth century was like.
So, how much do Americans drink now, in the modern world? Well, the best figure for the current American alcohol consumption rate seems to be roughly 2.42 gallons of ethanol per year, per capita—still a healthy figure, but nearly three times less per capita than in 1830.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/the-1800s-when-americans-drank-whiskey-like-it-was.html