Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

how me a frog posted:

The red thing is clearly standing some distance behind the monster, not riding on it. The other points are fair though.

Yes, standing in the distance, infront of a huge gently caress-off pair of wings. Wings that just so happen to match the eagleeagle-ish monster they're riding on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Wait, is that soup in an almost-bag? Or 'make-your-own' soup in an almost-bag?

Cause if it's the former, nobody wants soup in anything but a hard container or a bread bowl.

If it's the latter, why the gently caress would anyone want supermarket soup, hard mode?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Probably doesn't help that around here they're perhaps the shittiest pizza (baring a hot and ready) and at some of the highest prices. I don't know about the US, but here in canada, for about $20 you can get two 12" pretty basic pizzas, meanwhile at pizza hut you buck up even more for one.

As others have stated, you want a 'millennial's' dollar, make it decent, reasonably price, and don't pander.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Of course there is. Eat the rich and distribute their wages to the poor.

What? I'm serious.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, I agree. The average scarecrow is scary in it's inhuman, uncanny facsimile. It's disproportionate to an actual human being, it's too long, too short, too tall, too skinny, uncomfortably lumpy, etc. A walking talking, non-Oz scarecrow is inhuman, and seemingly sinister. It's like all reality has just gone wrong.

The cow is just a cartoon character. It's not supposed to be human, and barely supposed to be a cow. Plus, it's designed to be appealing (somewhat) to humans, with 'cute' characteristics. It's as scary as a soccer mom.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Well, I'm sure they're very happy hitting that valuable 40-year-old facebook moms demo. The ones sharing highly artifacted Grumpy Cats and rickrolls to eachother.

At this point boardrooms must be filled with accusations that millennials exist just as much as bigfoots and draculas.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Clearly this conversation is a failure on the part of Australia's Marketing/PR Firm. If they did their jobs, we would either all be calling shoes 'thongs', or even better, not have the word associated with shoes/underwear all together.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I can see why $1,000,000 can be spent doing through market research and testing to determine a new logo. However, $1,000,000 shouldn't get you that.

Considering coke probably spent untold bajillions just getting rid of the shadows and faux-embossing and whatever off their logo, there's a reason I consider Pepsi my #2 choice.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Now I kinda wonder if using Ronald to advertise to Adult audiences, albeit in an ironic fashion, would actually work in this climate?

As for the table service, I've never tried it. At least here in Canada, they have introduced a 'build a sandwich' option with their new touchscreens. And I have been tempted despite the kinda hefty price. But the one person I heard that used it had the manger come out and wait on them, which was awkward as gently caress for them. So thus, I have never tried it because I don't go to mcdonalds to feel guilty about leaving a tip. I go to buy some cheap, lovely food and then disappear into the night. At least up here we still have the 'extra value menu' because ours were never a dollar. The unfortunate fact is that gives them free reign to up the prices whenever.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Night Gaunt posted:

I saw a billboard like this today:

I guess that weird subset of adult women who're obsessed with Disney is much larger than I thought. I can't think of any other reason a children's cartoon would be considered an effective use for this campaign. It's not like kids really have a say or even care where their family gets a pet from.

It's fairly simple. They 1) Want to keep the Disney/Disney Animation/Disney Princess brand alive through advertising ala Coke, 2) Advertise their Pets sub-brand to their audience/parents, and 3) Create goodwill by being the company that supports shelter animals. And that goodwill is intended to carry on through their toys, film, etc. sales. You feel good about support shelter adoption, and that good feelings get imprinted on Ariel/Ginger Dog, and those good feelings carry on in the toy aisle where Saymandra is begging to get a plush of the dog.

Now how insidious this campaign is will be based on if Disney puts any money/demand towards shelter animals. It seems nebulous if it's doing either, as it's apparently in partnership with 'The Shelter Pet Project'. And, as far as I can tell, by quick googling, is merely aimed to bring awareness to shelter pets, and not supporting shelters themselves. So the money aspect could be a wash, but on the other hand it is bringing a lot of eyeballs to less fortunate animals.

However, the toy aspect is insidious.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

slinkimalinki posted:

They're not exactly seasonal decorations either. One uses them to avoid accidental redecoration.

Meh, they can always be reused seasonally. That's how I became the scariest Haunted House on the block.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

RagnarokAngel posted:

If people aren't aware they make literally no money off of tickets, it all goes to the movie studio. So concessions are literally the only money coming in.

I dont mind paying a little extra every few months to keep my local theatre going.

Literally this is what's going on. If the theater charged $3 extra dollars, that's $3 that's going towards the distributor. At least on opening weekend. Generally, the longer the film runs for, maybe the theater manages to get a cut. But for the bigger ones, let's say Star Wars, Disney may have managed to negotiate even beyond the Box Office gross and taken a bit off the concession. And they can do that because it's their way, or literal millions in sales opening Friday alone. It's also why theaters are presumably trying to reach out into other revenue like liquor sales, DBox seating, unusual trinkets (looking at you, cheap avengers statues with no purpose), alternative 3D glasses for sale, etc.

Hell, up here in Canada, the company with a practical monopoly is branching out into Dave and Buster ripoffs because the Box Office isn't necessarily raking in cash. That or greed. One of those two.

Also, as a dude whose had to clean up theaters. It's one thing bring in candy. I get it, it's a fallacy that snuck in candy is one less sale. Don't be obvious and no one will stop you. The only thing that is enforced is no Coffee/Tea. People have previously gotten seriously burned when one person tripped and spilled all over another person. Aside from that, the people that piss me off are the assholes who sneak in a bucket of chicken and drop the bones on the floor/in the seat. That's just loving rude and disgusting.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
At the very least, if they're not willing to call it such professionally, they could at least put Boaty McBoatface on the side of the ship. Or just call it the RRS BMcBF.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The Lone Badger posted:

I'd guess it's like Cash 4 Gold. Mail in your toddler and they'll send you a car.

According to wikipedia, they take your car and use it to yell at Jews to be more Jewish.

That, and auction off cars that kids died in. For charity.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hardcordion posted:

I don't know how old that theory is but it's implied in Fury Road that the ocean has been reduced to one giant salt flat. If that's the case I doubt the rest of the world would be just hunky dory.

Actually George Miller stated that the entirety of Fury Road takes place in the center of the outback, and that the salt flats is just a new feature of the wasteland. One made after a lake bed dried up. Not to say that there aren't any oceans, but I don't think he's ever confirmed that there weren't.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's also why it's so friggin expensive. Worth it, but still.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

WickedHate posted:

I think it was a lot easier for the nature of warfare to be underappreciated until after WW2. Sure, someone you love could die, but they could also die any number of things so why blame the abstract concept of war specifically? In the Civil War specifically people would literally make picnics across from battlefields like they were watching a fireworks show on the fourth of July. So, I don't think it's too out of place in that era.

I think it's more just human nature to seek out dangerous poo poo like that. Don't tell me that, if the public was given notice, hundreds wouldn't flock to watch a nuclear bomb being dropped, having a picnic on a nearby hill side.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, going off of some knowledge I haven't thought about since I stopped watching anime in high school. So starting from complete scratch, there was this one anime that was based off a visual novel, one featuring the typical trappings of high school kid who needs to win over one of a number of female classmates in the name of love. Typically, these types of stories get adapted into anime, selecting one of several endings where the kid wins one/all of the girls, I imagine based off of whatever the creator's/director's favorite is. However, this one specific visual novel adapted was somewhat notorious for it's Bad Endings. Where in other visual novels it would just be 'lol everyone hates you and you're all alone', but in this one they were more along the lines of 'One of your suitors is legitimately insane and tries to kill you/your girlfriend/herself' in fairly graphic manner. So, comes the animated adaptation and for the most part, it's pretty typical anime fluff. Guy notices girl a, while girl b notices guy, and girl c gets roped into it, etc. However, as series went along, the protagonist was making some increasingly more dick moves, and one of the girls, the insane one in the original story, was coming more off the rails. For the audience, it was becoming increasingly clear that the anime was taking an unexpected left turn and going for one of these 'Bad Ends', which is untraditional for the genre.

Unexpectedly, there was the unfortunate incident where a 16-year-old girl killed her father with an axe. Now, as far as I know, Japan isn't a culture of violent crimes. Where in North America we have increasingly become desensitized to gun violence and juvenile crime, it is still quite shocking and scandalous back in Japan. Especially an incident where someone so young would act on such a heinous impulse. To reiterate, this incident ended up as national news. And it had to happen just before the finale was about to broadcast, across the nation, featuring one of it's central characters, a teenage girl, attempting murder someone, likely with an axe like object (as gun laws are a lot more strict there). Which is kinda like releasing a Godzilla style, mass destruction Disaster film just after 9/11. So, not wanting to seem insensitive, the broadcasters decided to cancel the final episode last minute, and replace it with footage of Norway set to classical music. Why footage of Norway? I can only guess, either as they had no other programming to replace it with, or because they have a policy not to misinform audiences about their scheduled programing, or as a pure PR move as to say 'We are completely against this type of violence and content, that we are going out of our way to instead broadcast the exact opposite of it in every way'.

The legacy of this broadcast is a number of memes came from a live chat during the broadcast, namely of dorks being outraged they couldn't watch their anime, but notably took a brief break to compliment to footage of a ferry on a river, to which one member said, 'Nice Boat'. Thus, Nice Boat became a hilarious in joke that was beaten to death in the anime communities of 2008.

SomeJazzyRat has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Feb 20, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Phanatic posted:

Japan is actually seriously violent, they just mainly focus it inward. Japan's suicide rate is higher than the US's suicide rate and homicide rate added together. It's the leading cause of death in men 20-44.

Yeah, I just meant that it was quite scandalous for someone to attack someone else in such a manner, especially being so young, distypical of a violent attacker, and relatively 'unprovoked'. On the other hand, everything I know about Japan comes from misinformation from back when I watched Anime in middle school.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well at this point you fire any HR and CEO, quickly rebrand to anything that does not sound close to 'United', and hope that nobody notices.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Lime Tonics posted:

Simon the giant bunny found dead after United Airlines flight

A British bunny with a chance to become the world’s largest died on a United Airlines flight.

Simon, a 3-foot giant continental rabbit from breeder Annette Edwards, was reportedly en route to a new celebrity owner before being found dead after a flight from London Heathrow to Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport.

It was not immediately clear when or why the rabbit, whose dad Darius has repeatedly made headlines for being the world’s largest bunny at more than 4-feet long and roughly 50 pounds, died.

“Simon had a vet’s check-up three hours before the flight and was fit as a fiddle,” Edwards told The Sun Tuesday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/simon-giant-bunny-dies-aboard-united-airlines-flight-article-1.3100979

Dear United,

Did you gently caress with a Gypsy?

Signed,

The angry-come-bemused public.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, unprovoked Recent-Archie-History Time.

Not too long ago, publisher Archie Comics was in a weird patch. The guy who ran the company died, and two family members of high level executives took over. They apparently nearly drove the company to the ground, workers were alienated left and right, lawsuits were flying, at one point Hell's Angles were hired as Security/Intimidation task force, etc. In the midst of this breakdown and restructuring, they released a comic exploring alternate time lines where Archie married either Veronica or Betty. The talent behind the book actually took a lot of fun with the ridiculous premise, and was actually well received. It even resolved in a storyline where Archie dies taking a bullet for the then recently introduced gay character Kevin Keller. A kind of turning point came in joke alternate cover they made, featuring the characters as zombies in a pastiche of old horror covers, titled 'Afterlife with Archie'.

Now, rolling back a bit, this weird time in Archie Comics was also beset with weird crossovers (presumably due to increased interest online in the Archie Meets The Punisher Comic), and lead to a number of issues where Archie Met Kiss, athlete Michael Strahan, Glee. Now surprisingly the Glee crossover is a kind of linchpin in the story of Archie Comics proper, as they brought on a writer on the show Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who also had experience writing for Marvel, to write the crossover. A year later, he was named the company's Chief Creative Officer. And between point A and point B, there was something of a revolution. Going back to that joke cover, 'Afterlife with Archie', it became a kind of a big deal on the internet as a funny 'What if?'. And in response to that, Archie Comics started to develop a comic exploring the concept. They set the artist of the original comic cover, Francesco Francavilla, and Roberto to create an ongoing comic to based on it.

In October 2013, the comic series 'Afterlife with Archie' was released. It was a surprisingly mature take on the concept, that both acted as a surprising desecration of the Archie characters, but an even more shocking well told drama exploring the end of days. The characters were there, fitting their archetypes and relationships, but were developed into more fully fleshed out characters that they had ever been in Archie proper. They died, they killed, they made mistakes that held long term effects and remorse. It was their only comic to have ever been sold only to comic shops, as well as the only one to have carried a Mature Audiences only disclaimer, and it was a huge success. So, stuck with something that worked, Archie under Roberto's leadership branched out into other opportunities, not in Horror comics, but in exploring the characters outside of the confines of the the Riverdale created in 1941. There was a Sabrina comic, re-contextualizing it as a satanic 1960's period piece complete with animal sacrifice and demonic husbandry, a crossover with the Predator, contrasting the Happy-Go-Lucky world of Riverdale with the visceral violence of the film series, a relaunch of Archie Proper, a still humorous re-imagining of the characters as contemporary teens told in a modern serialized style by living comics legend Mark Waid, and a litany of other titles ranging the spectrum.

This also leads to the CW series. Now, CCO Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa having experience in the film and television world started pitching a film adaptation that would play with the characters, the way his company had been playing with them for years in comics. This project evolved into the series on CW, which recasted the characters in a Twin Peaks style murder mystery as well as a CW style teen drama. It has apparently been well recieved and wildly successful. Which is unfortunate for fans like me, as Roberto is now the head of Archie's creative division, lead writer and showrunner on Riverdale, writer of the Riverdale spinoff comics, and writer of both the Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina horror comics. And as someone who only reads the horror comics, I'm kinda left out in the cold.

In conclusion, things got bad, then they got weird, and now things are weird and they're going really well.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

We're Canada Texas, sure, but rent is next to nothing and I'm like an hour away from the Rockies, so who cares :canada:

Does completely forgetting a province of the country you're governing count as a "dumb move in marketing"? :downs:

To be fair, our province isn't even worth remembering. We have the landscape of Texas with the cuisine of Idaho. The only thing worth saving is Jasper and Banff.

And in regards to Ikea, I hated working there. Given, it was as a cashier. We had to work with old piece of poo poo POS terminals, working with a shopping system that somehow 30% of all customers couldn't wrap their heads around.

No, that table from upstairs is only for display, you have to go to this aisle on the tag and look for this bin and grab the boxes from it. Oh good you're back, wait, you see this yellow 2 on the box? This piece comes with two boxes and you only have half of them. You need to go back and grab the second half. Oh, this pillow is also a display. Hold on I need to call Caroline in textiles to grab one for you. This is going to take 5 minutes... [8 minutes pass] Okay that will be 1300 dollars. Oh your paying in cash, okay i'll count through all of these $20. Oh it's only $700. I guess you'll have to go to our ATM and grab cash from your Credit Card, your Debit Card, and your other Credit Card as they all have withdraw limits. Making this literally the only transaction today that would have been excessively quicker if you used a credit card like a normal person.

As a result of that I was often severely behind on my metrics, and given a couple of days where my till was off by more than a couple dollars (out of several thousands you could make in a shift), they had to officially reprimand me and punish me by making me work on the self serve machines where I couldn't handle cash.

That said, if it were another department it probably wouldn't have been so bad. They did treat us okay, soon after I started they gave everyone $200 in gift cards just cause. And in the break room they had a small cafeteria that constantly rotated dishes every day for every meal (almost always was something they didn't serve in the restaurant), and the cost was sub $5 for a meal.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
And wouldn't better copy be "...even if you got off at Park and your phone's headed for Alewife"?

Describing the exact scenario they're invoking without the obfuscated bullshit.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

1. Console isn't powered on
2. No video connection from console to TV
3. Two missed abortion appointments

You forgot:
4. Either game not in console, or duplicate version of same game.
5. 2 players simultaneously on a single player game.
6. Needs more cocaine.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Nuebot posted:

Given how bad the Green Lantern movie flopped, if they ever make a new one I hope it's about John Stewart and is good.

I hope they would do it like the new Spider-Man, he just verbally say what his origin is so we can get right into the action. Which would be an adaptation of Mosaic, a series where a deranged Guardian (The boss of the Green Lanterns) steals a bunch of cities from various worlds and creates a new world from them. This causes issues, being that various beings are kidnapped and forced to be neighbours with literally alien (and sometimes hostile) beings. Unable to return them home, John Stewart is declared the Green Lantern of this new world and has to integrate these desperate societies while keeping the peace.

Done right, it would be a kinda cool and really intelligent exploration of both culture and inter-species relations, while also being a treatise on what it means to be heroic while also being the authority. Taking the same space as really considered yet effects heavy genre fiction, kinda like Blade Runner 2049.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
drat I'm hungry for apples right now. Thanks advertisement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9YaDobgDg4

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm just curious, does anyone know if Papa Johns is significantly different in Canada than the US? Like up here it's solidly middle of the road. Certainly there's better, but you can also do much worse.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
So, if I want to get rich, quick, then what I should do is open a company called Clooney's Hot Stuff LLC. and just profit off of dumb twitter reading bots? I could do that.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Tweet's gone. But based on context, was it just an unsubstantiated rumor that a Diablo 4 was pushed off at the last minute, leading to the mobile game announcement as a replacement?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, I think in the whole 'Punch Up/Punch Down' spectrum, the ad is still distinctly keeping up the status quo, minority suffering while whites stay authority. The key difference with stuff like Parks and Rec is that, while they acknowledge the suffering incurred among native population by white ancestors, the native residents are able to use that history to make the white authority look like buffoons. Taking power from their historical situation in order to subvert the expected status quo.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Excuse me, which disability is this?

Is it... is it IBS? :ohdear:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Chicago. Also it sucks, but that's the point. Do it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I thought they were pulling the commercial because of the whole Kobe Bryant thing.

I'm pretty sure it was just the extended hoopla around the campaign they prematurely ejected. Like promotional tweets and giveaways (I believe they were planning to give out vigil candles). They weren't going to shift course from a really loving expensive commercial. And I bet it would've been really drat hard to back out when the Kool-Aid and Mr Clean people are breathing down their necks for their 5 second spotlight.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

God that thing made me so mad. I had to watch someone else gently caress up a sandwich, but in like a good way, in order to calm down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiGMleWwYX0

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I too thought the film is good. And I will always recommend it, but with caveats. Namely, very stylish with not a whole lot of substance, and the story is very arbitrary. It's mainly there as conveyance to set pieces, and to set up emotional moments without having a concrete purpose. And the ending is just tonally off and seemingly undeserved. Like it was spliced from another movie that happened to have John Goodman and Charlize Theron in a platinum blonde wig.

That said, the style meter is off the charts (without getting sickeningly so), the soundtrack is killer, and the fight scenes I would argue are John Wick tier (and should, since it's by one of the original John Wick guys).

SomeJazzyRat has a new favorite as of 04:21 on May 6, 2020

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
How many replies does that dude make that's just "Me doth thinks the saddening nature of your reply is most unwelcome. Surely thou will regret your actions once you realize the true toll of this violence upon this nation. Pray I do not, ahem, add you to the list. Believe me, this course of action will be most regretable."

Meanwhile, every reply: "UwU please list me daddy you loving bootlicker"

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Brawnfire posted:

The Real Lady Antebellum

I assume the original Lady A is the better act, so the also-rans should be called

Filmation's Lady A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
And Nurse is Man! With a hook!