Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is anyone really surprised that the people who created "find out which of your friends are racist" aren't stellar human beings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What are the big differences between Eclipse 1E and 2E?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

The designer's notes include some info on the changes.

I have not played 2E, but the big things seem to be: The game is 8 rounds now, passing first gets you 2 money, you can take discovery tiles without placing an influence disc under certain circumstances (making drawing tiles that have no systems but discovery tiles less annoying), and you can pass through sectors controlled by players with whom you have diplomatic relations. That and a myriad of balance changes, such as Plasma Missiles requiring one energy and Improved Hull being more expensive.
Cool, looks like some good changes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is the Gloomhaven video game any good? I keep eyeing it. Don't need to play the coop, that's what tabletop sim is for. Just wanna know how the solo is. How does the guildmaster mode work?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I tried Trials of Fire because it seemed like it'd scratch the same itch, but it wasn't quite there. Maybe I'll get it to support the game I hope it can be, and try out the game it is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

nordichammer posted:

I have only played a little bit, but it is ugly and the UI is horrendous. The missions do feel like a bit smaller in scope from what I saw. I consider that a good thing. It has a long way to go. I wouldn't like recommend it, but I think there is enough there to justify a purchase if already looking at it. Just do so with the caveats that it is very much in early access and there are only like 7 classes thus far.

Bottom Liner posted:

I just hope they finish out the planned roadmap because it has a lot of potential. As of now it's not quite worth getting yet.

Trip report: Got the game, and it's... fine? The UI is functional (though I think the 'default card action' buttons are a bit small), and the graphics are nice enough. I do wish there was a way to speed up the animations, though. This is really going to start to drag once the novelty wears off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

How is Lovecraft Letter? A game store near me has it for normal price still (it's either sold out everywhere else or going for silly money).
Isn't it just Love Letter but drowned in the money-printing bog of 'slap Cthulhu on it'?

Cthulhu is like nerd bacon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Finally played the X-Wing minis game for the first time today, via TTS. It's extremely my jam, and I can't decide if I regret taking so long to try it or I'm still glad I avoided the kind of people who would sink Miniatures Wargame levels of money into Star Wars.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Consider: Drafting games are just simultaneous-play worker placement games with cards instead of dudes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Ga"""lax"y""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Tr"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

"""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""ucker""""""""""""""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

e.e. cummings
Okay, that made me laugh.

Galaxy Trucker is an experience generator more than it is a game. If anything, it's the kind of game where actually trying hard and doing well makes it less fun. Which is a core problem of the design, yes, but if you have to play it? Don't play to win.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alternatively, if you want to play to win, play the app. It's got a pretty decent single player mode and automating all of the chaos gets you back to the fun part of the game quicker.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Finally played Star Wars: Rebellion for the first time today, over TTS. Once as each side. Combat is clunky and desperately needs streamlining (though a quick Google search found house rules that we might try out), but once we're over that bump, I could definitely see it being a very fun and relatively crunchy two-player cat and mouse game. It feels like the kind of game two people could get super, super into until they're making galaxy brain 5D chess plays at each other, with just enough moving parts to really allow for proper obfuscation. Theme's a little painted on, and the moments that actually make good stories are the exception, not the rule, but that's fine by me. But could they really not find any better generals to use for half the Leader units than "this underpaid extra who had two lines in one scene"?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 28, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Did you play with the expansion combat rules (I think it's called the cinematic combat in the rules)? It's definitely an improvement. And funny you say that about the theme, I think that's probably the best IP integration I've seen in a board game. I think the game has 2-3 systems too many with all the various decks that should be combined into just the mission/leader system (which is great) but otherwise I think it's really solid.
We didn't, but once we have a grasp on everything and aren't constantly loving up rules and basic strategy, we'll probably give it a go.

What I mean about the theme is that while there's a dramatic to the game, and moment to moment events that make for great stories to tell later, you kind of have to do a lot of the work yourself stringing them together into a consistent narrative.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's fair. I'd actually compare the game, in many ways, to Battlestar Galactica. Strip off the theme completely, or go in as someone who knows nothing about it, and you're still gonna have a very solid game that makes for some great stories. Knowing the characters and events being referenced is just a cherry on top.

...now that I'm saying it out loud, yeah, that is better than a game that leans too hard into the IP, isn't it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

djfooboo posted:

More good Uwe coming :woop:

A Caverna expansion??? I mean, I'm not complaining, but drat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Glazius posted:

Were you aware of the first expansion, The Forgotten Folk? Different player races to collect and covet, each of which has their own unique powers and special buildings to knock out some of the standard offering! Cave vegetables! Plantable rubies! Cheaty elves!
I just didn't expect another expansion for a seven year old board game. Not after A Feast For Odin and its expansion did so well. It's a pleasant surprise, but it's a surprise all the same.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We've played like 8-10 games of Rebellion now, with the Rebels either winning or capitulating almost every single time. By the end of our fifth game, we'd started to realize there are really only like three really good Rebel base locations, and a handful of ballsy remote ones, depending on setup. So we like the concept of the game, and we'll probably still play it when we want something lighter, or with our mutual friend who's really into Star Wars, but as for just the two of us, we're ready to move onto something deeper, where we can really sink our teeth into the possibility space.

What are the most important things to know going from Star Wars: Rebellion into War of the Ring? (Or just, in general, what are the most important things to know before playing War of the Ring?)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 31, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I also really enjoy Fog of Love, though whether or not it's 'cooperative' is up for debate. More like a cowritten narrative experience. Two people play the two main characters in a romantic dramedy, being sweet and/or terrible to each other. It's also the easiest "complex" game to teach I've ever seen, since it's specifically set up so that it teaches you how to play on your first go through, with little rules cards coming out of the decks at the right time. It's loving brilliant.

Edit: The theme makes it an easy sell to couples and romantic partners who like the genre/want a 'date night' board game. But, for the love of God, do not play as yourselves, and don't project too hard onto the characters. That will very quickly turn Fog of Love into the Newlywed Game and that is not a road you want to go down.

Edit 2: Aeon's End is a cooperative deckbuilder about being space wizards trying to protect the last human city from horrible monsters, but it's a bit crunchier and also has a terrible quarterbacking problem, so that might not be great if your wife isn't already a gamer.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 3, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

'Only assholes quarterback' is a dangerous assumption to make, especially with more complicated cooperative games that you're teaching to someone else. Even idle suggestions can have a lot of implicit power when the people you're playing with are painfully aware that you're better at the game than them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eclipse is one of my favorite board games ever, and it plays really well at four. It’s also significantly shorter and easier to teach than TI. Not a high bar, but still worth noting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I know there's a Dark Souls board game that's good with 1 or 2 and some houserules, but terrible at 3 and 4. (Honestly, the boss fight mechanic in the Dark Souls board game is so good that I kind of want to figure out a way to steal it for something else.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Betrayal Legacy is pretty okay? The balance is still extremely wonky, and once the legacy campaign was over, I had no particular urge to go back for standard games, but I didn't begrudge my time spent playing it at the end.

Edit: Though looking behind the curtain early was a bad idea, because that revealed pretty definitively that it does the Telltale thing where your choices only change little things along the way in what's generally a very linear narrative. Still, if you wanna play Betrayal, and can see yourself getting about a dozen games of it in with a steady group of 3-5...

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 7, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd say the big problem with Betrayal Legacy is that the attempts at balancing scenarios for different player counts rarely actually do much except require you to get a different number of doodads, which does not even remotely measure up to the dramatic difference in action economy. With five, the traitor got absolutely dunked more often than not, and I imagine the opposite would be true with three.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Playing a solo game of War of Ring (FFG first edition) and it kinda feels like the best experience you can get out of that over chromed mid 00's design. It does a really good job of cramming everything in, being a good representation of the theme and still being a playable game with meaningful decisions.

Might have to crack out the original Android for the *worst* example in that genre...
I've recently been playing a fair bit of WotR (though 2nd edition), and I agree. It reminds me of the BSG board game, in that some of the depth almost feels accidental?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

And you had no cognitive dissonance when writing this post?
You can recognize something is terrible and still enjoy your time with it.

For example, I sometimes enjoy reading your posts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Oh god, he turned the obnoxious bonus class rune hunt from the main box into something you have to do in the middle of a mission?
Wasn't that a deliberate ARG thing for the kickstarter backers to play around with? I feel like they had to absolutely know that by release time, the spoilers would be out in the wild, and the average players wouldn't have nearly enough patience to deal with it.

I'm replaying the campaign right now, and I'm just going to immediately unlock the Bladeswarm as soon as we finish the Envelope X stuff..

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's been fixed in most of the versions at least.
Does it still require finding the designer's email address and then sending it an e-mail with a single character?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Asmodee bought boardgamearena.

Enjoy it while you can, I give it 2 years before it’s functionally destroyed.
At least we've still got TTS.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

What “genre” of horror is KDM? Like how would I describe it to someone who’s never heard of it (eg, slasher horror, alien horror, body horror, etc). “Boutique nightmare horror” seems vague.
Sexploitation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Ah, the Philisopher's Gambit.
Even if there's no such thing as analysis paralysis, it logically makes the most sense to live your life as though there is? :j:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

When my wife and I finish a "once-through" game like Gloomhaven or Etherfields, we put our character minis on the game shelf. Is there some sort of interesting backdrop / display / etc for them? I'm looking for something more thematic, not just like an acrylic riser or similar.
Search Amazon et al. with the phrase 'diorama backdrop' and you should be able to find something that suits your tastes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Staltran posted:

Atlantis isn't even really mythical, is it? Fictional, sure, but isn't it from The Republic, i.e. not from a myth?
If you're going to be that pedantic during Codenames, you'd better make sure the people you're playing with will be, too.

A better code would've been Ocean. Or City. Or Aquaman.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Picked up Dungeon Petz for a song and a dance is there anything I should know before playing?
It's best with four players, great with three, and pretty alright with two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

5 year old is up to full Go rules on a 7x7 with a bit of a handicap (and me pulling my punches). Going to move to 9x9 soon.
Doctor Spaceman, three years from now:

"My 8 year old is now regularly beating me on a 19x19."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Just a heads-up that the current print of Tales of the Arabian Nights is the very last one for Z-Man.

https://www.zmangames.com/en/news/2021/5/28/love-at-first-matrix/

The batch seems already out in British stores, and is up for "late-preorder" in the US.
It's been years since I played TotAN. What, specifically, is getting called out? Or is it just the whole 'theme park version of Arabia' thing in general?

Not saying it's wrong to be called out, I just haven't played it since before I knew better about these things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

sex changed (and explicitly prevented from winning until you resolve it)
Oh. Right, that.

Ah, silly little me and my "cis" friends seeing that rule and thinking "I don't get what's so bad about getting changed into a woman, we can just ignore that rule."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

On one hand, Mice and Mystics is very easy to learn because it's puddle-deep and mostly serves as a gateway game to actually good ones like Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven.

On the other hand, it's puddle-deep and mostly serves as a gateway game to actually good ones like Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

Given that argument, I'd play Mice and Mystics first because if you don't play it first, you never will.
Keep it on the shelf for when your friends start having kids?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there still a board games buying/selling/trading thread? I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Loving the small changes to Eclipse 2e, it fixes a lot of my issues with 1e, but my fellow players have a major (and very reasonable) complaint that too much of the game is decided by the luck of what tiles you pull, and that species balance is all over the goddamn place (the Descendants are the gods of turtling, the Mechanema are just straight-up better at what the Hegemony is trying to do, the Hydran run away with the game if they can get Orbitals early and crash and burn if not, the Eridani are basically just hard mode, etc). I've thought of a way to solve the first issue (Give everyone the Descendants' ability to look at two tiles and pick one), but not the second, aside from just only ever playing all humans.