Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
So what do you guys thinks of Cards Against Humanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

PerniciousKnid posted:

Vlaada is a lovely designer who makes lovely games about poo poo and his name is too hard.

The name really isn't that hard, you buttmunch.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Debawv posted:

I picked up Xia: Legends of a Drift System on Amazon yesterday.The sandbox approach really appealed to e in board game form. Anyone have any strong feelings one way or another about this game?

It's terrible.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Fungah! posted:

Uh yeah keeping live animals in your store's pretty much a no-no

There's a used bookstore I used to frequent where the owner allowed her cat to run around freely. I never minded that. Then again, cats don't smell like internet order sex hormone colognes, so I suppose it was a little different.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

djfooboo posted:

Me: Oh cool, a Ghostebusters Boardgame!

Brain: Kickstarter + Cryptozoic + Minis

Me: :shepicide:

Why are you and your brain different people?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Mister Sinewave posted:

I love this title :haw:

This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 Of Us

This was one if Tasty Minstrel's little Kickstarter games. I backed because it was only $5, but I have yet to actually play it. It looks like a fairly light area control game about cattle ranches.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Speaking of Tasty Minstrel Games, I just want to remind everyone that Cube Quest is $20 on Amazon, and is a superlative dexterity game. It involves a point buy army of various little dice soldiers that you flick at your opponents dice to try and knock their king off the board. It's Just Fun.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

fozzy fosbourne posted:

how would you compare it to Eminent Domain overall? Definitely not Apples to Apples, but given that you've played both, which one would you keep if you could only keep one?

I don't think Apples To Apples is similar to EITHER game!

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I still have my copy of David Sirlin's Pandante in shrink wrap. I don't remember hearing much about it here. Is it worth opening, or should I gift it away somewhere down the line?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game is based on the novel Dracula (it actually takes place 10(?) years after the book) and presupposes that Dracula survived and is back with a new, more subtle plan. The game only draws items, themes, and abilities from said novel. It's fairly low-key, so no sending Werewolves after the Hunters or other crazy stuff.

If you wanted to raid Mansions of Madness and Ravenloft for components and go full-on Hammer Horror you could make a pretty decent Vengeance of Dracula game out of it. Dracula worshippers popping up in major cities, werewolves attacking the Hunters in Eastern Europe, kidnap plots in Spain. It would be a lot more encounter heavy and probably based on the Hunters going full on offensive during the day and buckling up together at night for Drac's counter-attack. It would be a lot less hide and seek and a lot more "run around Europe and stop Drac's plans, oh and btw if you stumble across Drac's trail you might want to stake the fucker". At least how I envision it.

Oh so just Arkham then.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

OmegaGoo posted:

VVVV I'm not entirely sure that I've seen someone embrace their reputation so thoroughly.

Remember that kid in high school who was the butt of every joke and loved it anyway because it meant people were paying attention to him? He grew up and registered the username "rutibex" on the Something Awful forums.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I'm blown away at what pedantic, elitist assholes many of your are being regarding Trains v Dominions. Trains is a perfectly serviceable deck builder, it isn't some dumbed down game for idiots. This isn't like Arkham Horror or Munchkin, where we can all dogpile an objectively bad game. Trains may not be your platonic deck building ideal, but it is an extremely approachable and engaging deck builder. Rising Sun only makes it better (as an expansion, I can't recommend it as a standalone purchase) with the inclusion of route cards and the excellently designed two player maps.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

jmzero posted:

I didn't sell Trains because it's not pure enough or something. I sold it because nobody liked playing it. I wanted to like it, it just doesn't work very well.

We mostly gravitated towards the same basic strategy immediately - essentially big money, and only using your starter trains/stations. A few people tried to go more heavy on the board and never really did well. They still needed to money up, and they just couldn't keep up with people buying VP directly. Beyond that there were very few real decision points, as there wasn't enough deck building mechanics to support them (no action limit, etc..) and overall the cards are super bland.

Maybe it works better for some groups, but I remember hearing similar experiences from other groups when it was a new game. Overall I'd rather play DC Deckbuilder. Anyway, if you like Trains, cool, but you'd probably change more minds if your post had content other than "it's engaging", " it's well designed" and "you're all jerks".

I actually like Dominions more, I'm just trying to point out that Trains gets smeared more than it deserves due to Dominion having some of the most obnoxious fans in board gaming.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I don't know if I would go so far as to call Star Realms serviceable :(

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I like anime.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
What is the difference between the Red and Blue versions Pandemic Legacy? My girlfriends family loves to play Pandemic every Christmas, so I am interested in picking up the new version of the game this thread has even bashing for the last six pages.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

No difference, just different boxes so you can have two campaigns going and not be confused which is which.

That is stupid.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
The alternative is stupider, I suppose, but alt covers is not something I want to see appearing in the board game industry.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I liked Trains. One of my friends keeps bringing it up as "that boring game that was actually super fun."

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Malloreon posted:

Does Trains add anything else than managing waste? If so that to me doesn't nearly outweigh the blandness that comes from unlimited actions per turn.

If Dominions had unlimited actions per turn it wouldn't be interesting at all.

It also has board positioning, which I quite enjoyed, especially on the 2P maps in Trains: Rising Sun, which places a much greater emphasis on the player's ability to lay train lines and impede their opponent.

As for unlimited actions, I have heard this complaint, but I think it comes down to personal preference. I personally like that by the last turns in a game of Trains that my deck is an insane engine of cataclysmic power, making GBS threads out rails by the dozen or cranking out insane amounts of money to snatch up all the Tower cards. It's different than Dominions for sure, but I've never heard someone I've played Trains with make a negative comparison to Dominions. That being said, people in this thread do seem to consider it a mark against Trains, so it might be worth demoing it someone to make up your mind.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I stopped following board game news about a year ago. What goon approved products came out in 2015 that I should try out this holiday seasons? I'd like to start getting back into the hobby by spending grossly irresponsible amounts of money on cardboard chits.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Hauki posted:

Uh well, you should probably look at your own new releases for starters.

Codenames looks good, but I already have so many social deduction games I don't really want another. Also, I didn't like Tash-Kalar. Wake me up when I release more Space Alert or Galaxy Truckers or Dungeon games.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

sector_corrector posted:

How's Spyfall?

It is an excellent social deduction game in a genre with many excellent entries. I personally like it, and it has the benefit of being extremely easy to teach, and something even non-gamers will play. If you aren't sick of the genre yet, it would make an excellent game to play with the family during the holidays.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
re: Blood Rage chat

I've reached a point where I no longer buy every board games that catches my eye, but simply try to curate the best of each genre I enjoy. I have a few asymmetrical war games like Eclipse and City Of Remnants, and while Eclipse is staying, I think it's time to replace CoR, no matter how much Quinns assures me it is sexy.

Is Blood Rage considered the better of the two when compared to Chaos In The Old World? I've heard so much about CitOW for years, and always meant to pick it up, but if Blood Rage is a straight upgrade in terms of mechanics, and has a shorter play time, I might just skip Chais and go straight to Blood Rage.

On that topic, I also hear Cthulhu Wars is comparable, but is that simply thematic, or mechanically similar? Obviously CW is a flashier, more expensive game, but I wouldn't mind spending more if it's considered the top dog of the asymmetrical Ameritrash war games.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Lorini posted:

Chaos of the Old World did not work for me because it's basically four player only. I just got Blood Rage and hopefully it'll be fine with 3 or 4. My most common player count is 3, so games that are good at that number are looked at harder.

You seem to be regarded as having good game opinions, so I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think once you've played it.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Old timers know that the Expedit is the one true board game shelf. All these
millennials with their Kallax don't know that the Swedes are selling them an inferior product.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

canyoneer posted:

It's gone as cheap as $20 on amazon sales in the US, so £16 sounds like a good price for a punched but unplayed copy.
I bought it new, and had a punched but unplayed copy for 3 weeks or so, because the rulebook looked daunting so we chickened out and just played X-Wing instead a few times :shobon:

The difference is that the Kallax is only available in veneered particleboard compared to the Expedit's painted pine construction, right?

Correct. It's basically the same piece, at the same price, just with poorer materials.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone know where to get 8mm clear tumbled acrylic cubes online? I can only seem to find them in sizes too big

Have you tried Alibaba? The last time this came up I believe that was the go-to resource.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I have 30 odd people coming to a holiday party, and I'd like to set some games out around the place for people to goof off with. I've got Monikers, Skulls, Codenames and Ca$h & Gun$ (1st edition, with the old all-black foam guns) and I might pick up Two Rooms And A Boom and see if I can get half the guests running around like maniacs confusing the other half. I'm actually not much of a party game person myself, so please let me know if there are any extremely simple, very short games I should consider.

Don't worry, guests have been informed that anyone who tries to bring Cards Against Humanities or Exploding Kittens will be thrown into the pool along with their garbage game.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

The End posted:

Add a device with 'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes' and a copy of the defusing manual. Get people downloading spaceteam on their phones. Telestrations is always awesome as well.

Sadly, the pool house has never had good wifi, and I'm too lazy to rectify the situation!

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I will be playing a 6 person game of 7 Wonders on Sunday, and I loving hate teaching 7 Wonders, and it is always a damned pain to pass the rule book around so people can check what the icons are. There are a number of cheat sheets on BGG, does anyone had a recommendation for which ones are the most useful?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
No one was able to answer my 7 Wonders query yesterday, so I had to figure it out myself.

For anyone teaching 7 Wonders in the future, the best BGG player reference I found was the one by Universal Head. I'm printing out 7 copies of the reference page (the final one, page 4 I believe) so everyone can look up what the symbols are without passing the rule book around.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Kruller posted:

Well, I kinda really hate Agricola, which is odd because I love everything else I've played by Uwe. So take that as you will. If you never describe it as Agricola, you can probably trick him.

Five pages late, but let me go on record to state that I do not like Agricola, and terebikun will certainly not trick me into playing Brew Crafters if it is anything like the Gric. Terebikun, you are not so sly if you think I do not catch up on this thread now and again!

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

T-Bone posted:

Actually a good dudes on a map deckbuilder (with like a combat and customizable action deck) would be interesting, especially if every upgrade path was available on the table (ala Kemet's pyramids).

Try City Of Remnants for deck builders mans-on-boards.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

terebikun posted:

I played City of Horror the other night, and...Mall of Horror might be better? None of us had played City of Horror before, but I had played Mall. Most of the game people were double checking the rulebook and the game aid to check what all their powers do, their items do, the city locations do, and none of it ever added up to any super interesting plays. The armory burned down, and I imagine the water tower would be just as anticlimactic, despite what SUSD say. After the end of the game (we ended it a little early for time reasons fwiw) half the players would disinterestedly murmuring stuff about "oh, I forgot/didn't realize this character did this, oh well". Maybe it was a problem of no one being familiar enough with all the different parts and symbols, but when I played Mall of Horror with a bunch of new gamers it was incredibly tense. The most memorable part of Mall, jockeying for position in the security room, seemed to have been really diluted. Maybe it was the wrong group of people, maybe it wasn't the right number (although 4 should be fine), but I still have to give the point to Mall of Horror.

Dude, I just taught you to play Kemet last weekend, and I had player references for everyone printed out in advance.

Whenever you teach a game that uses iconography instead of printed text, always make sure to have player references for every player. Libraries in the US have free printing, there's basically no excuse.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

FulsomFrank posted:

Free printing? That's pretty cool.

I went and had enough copies of the DI cards/Power Tiles rule sheets copied and laminated so that everyone could have a page to look at since most people are always passing around the 'splainer sheet anyway. Very useful!

This guy gets it.

When a game uses iconography, you, the proud owner and perpetual guide to said game, are asking a lot of your players. You are asking them to not only learn the game rules, but also to memorise the icons used in gameplay.

Perhaps I simply have low expectations of people, but I make an effort to give players as much information reference as possible. Some games are better at this than others, and will include organised player boards, cheat sheets, or have details printed on the cards.

Venerable old Pandemic is a great example of a game that I can teach to my grandmother without any extra work. Player actions are printed on a helpful reference card (and the box comes with one for each player), the board has turn sequence information, and the Epidemic rules are entirely self contained on the Epidemic cards themselves.

Kemet is a an example of a great game with terrible teaching aids. It contains a player boards with iconography instead of text, similarly icon based cards and tiles, and only a single power reference sheet. It is not reasonable to expect first time players or non-gamers to remember what "+1 ankh, foot, blue square" means. If everyone has to constantly check the single, solitary reference booklet, the game will definitely drag on longer than necessary.

If you want playing a games to be fun, you owe it to yourself to do everything you can to make that game fun. Even if you don't care if other players are having fun, you personally will have a better time by taking steps to avoid these problems.

You are responsible for your own orgasm, people!

EDIT: Maybe free printing isn't universal in US libraries, but I know for a fact that it is in terebikun's city!

Vlaada Chvatil fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 10, 2017

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

You are responsible for your own orgasm, people!

Insert joke about always sleeving your cards.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Sushi Go Party has such an incomprehensibly bad box insert that I am actually somewhat offended.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Glagha posted:

a good game of Secret Hitler.

There is no such thing and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I had the pleasure of trying out Barenpark last night at my local game store. It is turn-based Tetris, which is wonderfully tactile. There is enough complexity in the rules to made decisions meaningful, and a fair amount of forward planning required to score high.

I especially enjoyed our second game, in which we tried out the Achievement varient. "Have three polar bears", "Have six connected parks" and "Have 1 each of the 4 enclosure shapes". I planned poorly and missed parks and enclosures each by a single turn, but I liked the goals to work towards and the higher interactivity between players.

Despite losing both games, I heartily recommend Barenpark for players of all ages and skill level. I would call it Carcassone adjacent: it is a simple tile laying game with deceptive depth. It is also very aesthetically pleasing. Furthermore, bears are cute and good.