Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've done some cursory searching on Amazon and it's really hard to tell: If I buy the Qi backplate for my Galaxy S5, is there a passable case I can get for it that comes with a belt clip? I busted the clip off my old non-Qi case and figured this was as good an opportunity as any to make the Qi transition.

At this point I've gotten so use to the belt clip that it feels weird to keep it in my pocket at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So we're starting to get some info leaks in the new nexus phones. Had there been anything substantiated on a new tablet SKU? I'm kind of chomping at the bit for a Nexus 7 hardware refresh.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Red Warrior posted:

The Zune headphones were great. I got a second pair when they were clearing them out. But my wife stole them to use as her workout earphones.

Also my Zune was only recently retired, it did great as my previous car's MP3 storage, Ford's Sync system worked really well with it. That was by Microsoft too so makes sense.

Hell, I have the 1402 model Zune and I still keep it around as my work music player. It doesn't support cloud music, but it's not that big a deal to take it home once every other month to sync it.

I never could get it working with Ford Sync though. The car just tells me it cannot communicate with the USB device. Could just be because my car has one of the first iterations of Sync or something. I run car music off a 64gb thumb drive instead and have to argue with the nice car lady about which album she thinks I want to hear.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 30, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is Qi charging just not a thing anymore? I'm at the point where I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S5 and I was kind of hoping to get a new phone with Qi. I got shockingly use to not having to fuss with cables and just plopping my phone down on the pad when I got home in the evening.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Out of curiosity, how are people liking the OnePlus 3? I've been thinking about upgrading off my Galaxy s5 but I don't have the disposable income for a pixel. I was thinking about getting an Xperia X, but apparently they haven't been reviewing terribly well.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I haven't really followed phone news for the last couple of years but I'm hitting the point where I'm just about at my wits end with my launch Galaxy S5.

Is there anything worthwhile out on the market currently that A) has a user replaceable battery, B) Has a camera that isn't total dogshit, and C) is $400 or less? The closest thing I'm seeing is the LG V20 and that's still over my budget, or one of the Sony Xperias, and that doesn't have a user replaceable battery

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Well poo poo, that sucks. RIP fresh batteries in my old phones.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Incessant Excess posted:

Moto G5+ = good all rounder, decent price
Pixel = great all rounder, excellent camera and responsiveness, expensive

Yeah, basically this. As of this moment pretty much any recommendation that gets thrown around is going to boil down to these two and the separating factor being your budget. Pretty much any other Android phone comes with huge red flags or is straight up inferior to the above two.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Probably not. Just go ahead and get one now because if the Pixel 2 goes anything like the first, it'll be on back order well into next year. Google also has a real good track record of supporting old phones vs someone like Motorola who generally supports a phone for about 1-2 years, or OnePlus who support a phone until the next model comes out 4-6 months later.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ulvir posted:

my 5x is about 20 months old now :ohdear:

honestly don't know what I want to get if this dies on me. Pixel weren't available in Norway, and even if they were I cannot justify ponying up more than what an iPhone costs, knowing Google only supports their phones for half as long as Apple does. I don't like Samsung, I am hesitant to ever touch LG again with all their bootloops in mind, and I'll never touch any of the chinese phones either. I want to have a fingerprint scanner so Sony's out of the picture, and I've heard Motorola phones have poo poo camera (confirm/deny).

Google supports their first party phones way, way longer than pretty much any 3rd party android manufacturer does. If you want something supported for as long as an iPhone, then get an iPhone.

Sony's Xperia XZ line all have fingerprint scanners on them according to the GSMarena specs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So has anyone used an HTC U11 long enough to sound off on it, or is it still firmly in the "would rather have a Pixel for the pricetag" territory?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone have any experience with the HTC U11? I'm going to be looking for a new phone at the end of August once my house sells and am curious how the goon impressions of it are. I'm upgrading off of a Galaxy S5 and my preference is another phone that is IP67 Certified (of which the Pixel is unfortunately not) without having to put it in a waterproof case. Not that I give my phones a daily dunk in the kitchen sink, but it has been splashed a number of times to make me concerned about loosing the water protection in my next phone. My other options for a flagship style phone with IP67 is the Xperia XZ Premium of which goons seem to have questionable experiences with Sony's bundled software in general, or the Galaxy S8 or maybe the new Note of which I'd rather opt against because I'm kind of sick of Touchwiz and Samsung in general.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

vyst posted:

I fukken love having to open 43 apps to tailor the type of communication i want

I'm still bitter that they took away Hangouts for SMS messages.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Is there a generally accepted best phone that is IP67 out of the box without a case? That's literally the one thing keeping me from jumping on the Pixel train right now. I was thinking about the HTC u11, but that apparently has its own durability issues that could be problematic. Other than that it looks like my options are Samsung (ugh), a LG G6 (I'm still leery after their past bootloop issues) or the most recent Sony Xperia phone (the US version has no fingerprint scanner, bafflingly enough) and I'm not liking my options.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

mojo1701a posted:

This is related to my earlier question: how cheap are cell phones in Europe compared to North America? I'm heading to France next week, and with the way European SIM cards work, I'm wondering if buying a reliable phone there with a French SIM card, then getting the plan transferred here.

How stupid is this option?

If you already have a phone with a GSM antenna (i.e. not purpose built for Verizon or Sprint) you should be able to just get a temporary SIM card and be fine while overseas.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

codo27 posted:

Still itching to replace the S7. Zenfone 3 Zoom. Thoughts?

Looking at them side by side the zenphone is looking like a downgrade in a lot of respects and a sidegrade at best in most respects except for maybe the camera (and that depends on how well the zenphone camera software processes, which I'm guessing is probably not as well as the dedicated good-to-great cameraphone guys like Sony is or even Samsung can be on flagships).

Sit on the S7 another year and see what drops for early 2018 budget phones before you start looking to upgrade the phone camera on the cheap. If you really want a *good* camera phone you need to be willing to dish out :flagshipbux: or at the very least being OK buying a Pixel 1 on the cheap when the Pixel 2 comes out.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 21, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I guess Android O is going to be my test to see if Essential can back up their promises of fast update rollouts. If they have O ready when they start shipping to consumers I would be pleasantly surprised and might actually start considering it. Otherwise I'm holding out for what we see out of Pixel 2.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hobbesmaster posted:

3-5 years. Verizon and ATT are stopping 3G only activations next year in preparation for sun setting their 3g networks in the 2020-2021ish timeframe. 1xRTT on vzw should be gone in a year.

Sprint and US Cellular are the only carriers that aren't threatening to be LTE only soon.

edit last roadmap I see is vzw stopping 2g/3G activations in h2 2018, ATT stopping 3G activations Q4 2018. vzw 2g/3g sunset Q1 2020, att sunset 2022.

HTC lists the U11 as being Verizon compatible on HTC's own website simply on the strength of their current LTE network, even though the U11 doesn't have CDMA antenna.

It's kind of funny all things considered because Verizon was the one I was most thinking would be squatting on CDMA indefinitely so they could keep their own phone exclusivity fiefdom rolling. US Cellular I always expected them to stay on it because they are a smaller carrier and don't have the money to throw down tower upgrades (my region only got consistent 4g towers like, two years ago). Sprint being the one to clutch onto CDMA as long as humanly possible is actually kind of surprising, I figured they would try and upgrade their poo poo to have one up on Verizon.

vvvvv Honestly fair point.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Wasabi the J posted:

Y? I've seen you be the most vocal detractor of LG in the thread, but aside from the boot looping what else is bad?

Bad manufacturing runs leading to things like dirt inside of displays, inconsistent screen quality, batteries going nuclear, and other nonsense. And it just. keeps. happening.

Edit: The fact that LG is in charge of the Pixel 2 is honestly giving me some real doubts about it.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 24, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

LionArcher posted:

Okay I'll just put that $500 towards a real Sony camera in the near future. Thanks.

If you want to play around with android specifically "for science" then buy a Moto G5+ with 4 GB RAM because that's going to be the most pleasant Android experience that doesn't cost :$$flagshipbux$$: as of this moment.

The thing about Samsung (and a fair number Android manufacturers in general) is that they love love love doing baffling modifications to the UI and user experience (ugh touchwiz) and generally being a pest with weird middleware that attempts to emulate things Google already does but worse (bixby vs Google assistant, Samsung Health, ect) in ways that really detract from the goon perception of them.

If you want to try Android just to try Android, wait another month or two and wait for the Google Pixel to drop in price in advance of the Pixel 2 coming out. That will be the most 'pure' android experience one can have and it won't be flagship priced by that point anymore.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sir Lemming posted:

I like how TheVerge's article about this is entitled, "The Essential Phone is ugly on the inside." Guess they didn't get free review models?

The Verge is pretty hostile to anything that isn't made by Apple or Samsung. It's just kind of their thing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rexxed posted:

Why would you need a glass back for Qi charging? My Nexus 6 is on its Qi charger right now:

Yeah, Qi charging has been around for a hot moment even before glass backed phones became a thing. The Galaxy S5s would support Qi charging if you bought the Samsung Qi backplate for it for like, 10 bucks, and those were plastic backed.

I actually recently stopped Qi charging because it seemed like it was killing the battery life on my S5 way faster than not using it. I'm on my 4th battery for my s5 and my first battery lasted longer than the last three combined.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

HJello,

I would like to buy a new Android phone. Which phone is the best? Why do you think so? Why is it better than the other phones?

Thanks

You ask this about once a month and the answer hasn't really changed all too much the last 6 times you asked.

Buy a Pixel or moto G5+ if you're on a budget or wait for a Pixel 2 if you want the newest and shiniest.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given the battery bit, that poo poo better come with a loving huge one. But this is Google...

If I'd have my way, it'd mean the Pixel 2 goes back to having a user-replaceable battery.

Alas some things are probably not meant for this world, and I could see the impending shitshow of them doing that and then people buying cheap lovely batteries that detonate their phone like a grenade.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/14/16309196/essential-phone-headphone-jack-module-announced

There's apparently an AMA going on with the Essential guys. Quick bullet points:

- Looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack is going to be the next add-on for the magnetic pins.

- They are aware that their camera software is poo poo and are working to make it less so lovely.

- They claim they are updating to Android O inside of two months from now.

- They start shipping the white, non-fingerprint-magnet version in the next two weeks or so.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

grack posted:

Sony signed an exclusivity deal with one carrier that would have only allowed the fingerprint scanner to be use used on phones sold by that carrier in the US. There was never any follow through on the deal but Sony doesn't know if the contract is still binding. So, they're shipping phones with the scanner disabled in software to avoid legal repercussions. It's been reported a number of times by a number of different news sites.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Oh...-so-thats-why-Sony-disables-its-fingerprint-scanners-in-the-USA_id91545

If it's just disabled in software, has someone figured out how to re-enable it via sideloading/rooting/custom ROMs?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Does the Android One branding just mean "You can get this on Project Fi" or do they do some higher level of requirements for OEMs wanting to brand it that way, like enforcing OS/Security patching for X amount of time?

Edit: Just googled it, looks like Android One branding is suppose to force OEMs into 2 year patch support. I wonder if their agreement with Motorolla has enough teeth to retaliate if Moto does Moto and patches their device maybe three times and then drops support.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 20, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
On top of that, wasn't there a goon a few weeks back who bought a LG G6 and wound up returning it three times because two of them had a collection of grime wedged between the front glass and the LED panel and the other one had a dull shot display? Can someone link back to that?

Regardless, LG has had lovely manufacturing processes for a while now. If the non-xl version is made by HTC that's probably what I'm buying this year, that or the HTC u11 Life when it comes out under the Android One moniker.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, hardware wise, Samsungs are probably one of the most consistently well manufactured phones from a hardware perspective, exploding Notes aside. Where things get muddy is when Samsung insists on making GBS threads up their phones with their lousy UI and apps.

To put it this way: If Samsung made a flagship Android One phone that came AOSP with none of the Samsung ecosystem bullshit. I would probably buy and use that phone without a second thought.

Twerk from Home posted:

Google handles all support for the Pixels regardless of where you buy them from, right? Buying a 5X off of Newegg was one of the worst tech decisions of my life.

Don't quote me on this but I think you have to specifically buy it from Google otherwise you deal with your wireless carrier (if you buy it through Verizon) or with HTC/LG (If you buy it from Amazon or Best Buy)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TheWevel posted:

As an iPhone user most likely moving to Android, I don't care about :

-water resistance (I've only had iPhones through the 6s)
-removable batteries
-removable sd cards
-wireless charging

I care about :

-getting a larger screen
-taking good photos

Maybe Google made the Pixel series for people like me?

I mean, if all you care about is large screen + good camera. There's half a dozen flagships out there that already do that and have been out for up to the last year. Pixel 1 XL, HTC U11 (same screen size as the pixel at 5.5 inches), Sony Xperia XZ Premium (5.46 inch screen), and any of the Samsung Galaxy 8 line (S8+ is 6.2 inch display, Note 8 is 6.3 inch) all have good to great cameras and all of them have some not-insignificant downsides to them that aren't directly related to either the camera or the display.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

butt dickus posted:

Even the Pixels aren't stock Android. The camera, launcher, assistant and probably other things I'm forgetting were Pixel-only "OEM" customizations, at least for a while. That plus the hardware-specific optimizations which are what make them run so well compared to other devices with the same (or even better) SoCs.

I mean, the pixel APKs aren't near as say obnoxious as Samsung's UI and software nightmare, and laughably the Pixel camera APK is actually a significant upgrade to the Essential Phone camera software.

Even Sony, who's earlier phones were marred with a bunch of third party UI vomit has really cleaned up shop and runs a [sub]relatively[sub] clean version of Android on their 2017 phones.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
To be fair, Google Maps learning parking trends in major metros would be kind of handy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
This guy has quite a babyface for as grey as his hair is.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm guessing this is going to be the home mini?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Does google home talk happen here or is that more in the home automation or the amazon echo thread?

Edit: ARTISAN YARN

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
How good is the speaker on the full sized home anyway?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I don't want a $1000 laptop that only runs chrome. At that point I can buy a really decent windows 10 laptop that I can install steam on.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
This guy looks like Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers if he found technology instead of music and drugs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
IP 67, This is my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Wait, pixel ultra?