Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Splinter posted:

Is that Pixel trade in value for a 4a 5G still going on, or was that Friday only?

It's worse now, but still not terrible. Pixel 3 trades in for $215 now I believe. https://9to5google.com/2020/11/27/pixel-4a-5g-trade-in/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Epiphyte posted:

So what's my risk to continue using my Pixel 2 XL now that security updates have ceased?

I don't sideload anything, and at the moment I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade so I was hoping to continue using the phone through 2021

Absolutely minimal risk. My giant corporate risk averse employer who has professional access control and makes everyone log into things with 3 factor lets a ton of employees run around with Galaxy S7s still.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

This is what happens when your held hostage to a single supplier. This is why Apple made the A1x chip series and why they bought Intel's modem business so they can rid themselves of Qualcomn modems.

It's not a single supplier market, remember Intel Atoms? I will never forget the Asus Zenfone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

The misses and I both have S8 phones. I am planning on upgrading on T Mobile once COVID becomes manageable.

Should I stay with the S8 line or is there something better? Hell should I look at buying an unlocked phone?

I do play games and use skype for family time...oh and use Gamepass.

I loving hate buying a new cell phone. Its like buying a used car, I just feel dirty after going to a Sprint Store/T Mobile store.

If you want a small phone with a good camera, Pixel 4a. $350, excellent camera.

What are you looking for? Do you want a huge phone? Do you care about having a flagship CPU that'll feel fast for many years?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

NINE different models of the S20, and that's not counting the 2 Note20s
  • Samsung Galaxy S20
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G UW
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G

This is definitely a problem. I’d prefer if they had different names for the models rather than all being Galaxy S20.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

So hey they're sending me a pixel 5 because they have no 4XLs left in the refurb pool

There's no way that could even be a refurb right? Didn't they only start being sent out a few weeks back?

That could definitely be a refurb, Pixel 5 launched October last year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

codo27 posted:

If they are charging any more than $500 for a phone it should have the absolute most memory and storage space possible at the time of production.

Stuffing 16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD into a phone benefits some tiny minority of users, and I wouldn't want to pay for a ton of storage that I won't ever want. More than that, just packing more RAM in there costs battery life, having 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB or 12GB uses more power all the time, decreasing battery life.

There's a sweet spot for both memory and storage, just like CPU. I'd definitely rather save $200 than have a Snapdragon 888 or whatever the fastest thing available this year is.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

A Fire 10 HD dropped into my lap. Wipe and load Android on it or is it decent enough on it’s own?

What do you want to use it for? If it's purely streaming video consumption I'd just leave it as is.

The screens on those are crazy good for the money. Fine Netflix device.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I would do unspeakable acts for a 4.0-4.3" phone with a decent battery, modern processor, 64 (or more) GB of storage, a rear fingerprint reader, a headphone jack, and unlockable bootloader. Filthy, disgusting things.

There was a Sony phone a while back that came close but it had no fingerprint reader in the US for some reason and if you rooted the phone it disabled the camera :laffo:

Though as of 2 weeks ago I can now pass SafetyNet not only with root enabled but also Exposed and GravityBox so that last issue would be a moot point. Bless those incredible hackers.

I'm really surprised with all the aftermarket manufacturers out there that nobody is filling this demand. It's either HEUG PHONE or the Unihertz Jelly which no reasonable person could ever be able to meaningfully type on.

Edit: that link is pretty cool in showing how much smaller the 4A is compared to the 3A but it's not really the size of the phone that bothers me (as long as it can fit in a normal jeans pocket) it's the size of the screen. The one thing I'll give Steve Jobs is when he said you should be able to touch every part of the screen with your thumb. I know I sound like a grognard but nothing annoys me more than having to use two hands just to get to a hamburger menu or something. And I have hands like Jafar from Aladdin.

So, would you sacrifice battery to do so? Such a tiny phone just wouldn't have much room for battery. The iPhone SE is already noticeably worse than any other iPhone in years.

With Android hardware's higher energy consumption for a given performance target, such a small phone would struggle to make it through the day unless they went small and very fat.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Personally I wouldn't mind a thicker phone. I think they're a bit too thin to begin with.

Wouldn't the smaller screen mean less battery life is used, as well?

A good compromise in my opinion would be for the smaller phone to have a weaker CPU, but one that's very battery efficient. I don't think I've ever played a single 3-d game on my phone in my life so I am pretty much at the point where I probably wouldn't even notice a "green" CPU over a beefy one.

Bad news on the CPU front is that efficiency is mostly related to manufacturing process, rather than outright speed. Faster CPUs are able to race to idle where they get work done quickly and get back to a low power state faster. Phones with really slow CPUs do get moderately better battery life (because they're dropping frames, making janky animations, and failing to do everything that's asked of them).

Smaller screens will use less power, but we've seen a very strong pattern at this point that it's easier to have better battery life in a bigger phone. CPUs / radios use the same power no matter what.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Happy Thread posted:

Hey recommend me a new posting phone if you've got one that fits the bill

Wish list:

***Most Important*** Can type a whole lot of words quickly without loving up (no forced autocorrect when i use swipe keyboard, word prediction can't be stupid, bug/crash free)
Cost: <350, hopefully far less
Durability / thickness / Battery life
Mainstream hardware brand, well tested
If possible, supports WebGL2 browser capabilities for testing my app, but it can be slow. It's fine if you don't know this one
No forced biometrics, weird monitoring, or big security issues
Storage space is manageable enough to text people videos
No Apple anymore -- guess that leaves Android, but ideally unrestricted for programming & without forced OEM bloatware or spyware

e: My current phone was like $100-200 in 2015, so it can be real cheap and still be a big enough leap up

If you’re going to keep it for 5 years again, it is absolutely worth springing for the Pixel 4a over the Moto G Power, which is your other good option.

If you do decide to cheap out, be sure to try this years Moto and not last year’s, they’re both $200. https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-power-gen-2/p?skuId=539

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Happy Thread posted:

Thanks! Could there even be any phones that are vastly cheaper than these, that still pass the above? I lack much budget leeway for emergency phone replacement, plus I don't know of any requirements above that exclude old models.

Does anyone here have an outdated phone that isn't too far off the mark? Or do outdated models inherently have battery issues, because of the older battery unit that's been sitting for years?

If you want to squeeze as low as you can on price, look at the Nokia 2.4 or go used.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Early OLED phones (Nexus S, I'd say even Nexus 6) had extremely weird color reproduction, and the little bit of tint on the newer phones doesn't bother me at all.

I honestly liked the extremely oversaturated colors that the Nexus 6 did, but it sure wasn't accurate.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

I’ve used a few Xiaomi phones on ATT and even though I didn’t have any LTE bands, HSPA+ was more than enough for my needs. I have had a couple Redmi devices and happily recommend them to people. Will also usually recommend blocking any of their apps and services too.

This is much harder to recommend how that HSPA+ bands are being actively taken down to make more room for 5G spectrum.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

T-Mobile is offering $360 in trade-in value for Pixel 3a as a promo towards the OP9, so I'm probably going to do that.

Any Oneplus gotchas for somebody who has been riding the Pixel train for years?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

Oh man, that's awesome. My wife's old 3a is sitting in a drawer somewhere around here. Does that apply to the 9P as well?

Hell yeah: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/oneplus-phone-deals

Get you some.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I just noticed that T-mobile is offering $800 in trade-in credit towards a Galaxy S21 5G so now I'm going to broadly ask:

Is a Oneplus 9 likely worth a $350 premium over an S21 5G?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I don't have any shots yet that I want to share in a public place, but night mode side by side with the S21U in extreme low light isn't even in the same universe.

Does ultrawide make it look bigger or smaller?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Why isn't everyone switching to these cheaper options that use the same network? Lack of awareness?

The cheaper options typically don't have the same phone financing incentives or promotions, there's a lot of inertia in family plans. Also those cheaper options don't have brick and mortar retail stores to help people fix poo poo, or hand-hold you through upgrading a phone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BonoMan posted:

My 7 year old has sort of fallen in love with vlogging. We don't let her *actually* put stuff on the internet or anything like that, but she loves walking around with my phone and recording videos of herself talking to her "fans" etc and doing stuff. I'd like to encourage that kind of activity as opposed to just watching streamers all day.

So with that in mind, I think a cheap-ish phone with decent (for a 7 year old) video capabilites would be fun for her. Preferably something I can power up and use without needing a sim card (don't want it to actually be used as a phone).

Under $200. Is a used Pixel my best bet?

My biggest unknown is whether they can be powered up and used without a sim card.

We had an old Lumia Windows Phone (I miss those) that she was using but broke it.

edit: Oops... two things I would like: external micro SD slot and somewhat ok low light performance since she just likes to walk around and record herself in natural light.

edit 2: Lumia phones are cheap on eBay and had decent cameras. Maybe I should get a replacement there.

Every phone can be used as a tiny tablet if you just don't put an SD card in it. You could probably get away with a recent Nokia 2.4, 3.4 or similar for under $150: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-3-4

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

My wife's Pixel 5a just had the display completely fail in a way that exactly matches this: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en

It was purchased from the Google store 14 months ago, so it's out of warranty but should be covered by Googles extended 1 year repair program for this specific issue. Am I going to get a better quality repair out of Google mail in service or Asurion physical service? I'm pretty skeptical of Asurion repairs, but worried mail would take forever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Mine did the same thing on Wednesday. Drove up to ubreakifix and they swapped on a new screen with no change. Tried a second screen after verifying that their screen worked: no change. They're replacing the motherboard under warranty. I've already bought a Pixel 7 and I'm swapping the 5a as a trade-in for a $350 credit. I would go to a store to get it replaced if you have one locally. Mine is 45 minutes away, and they gave me a loaner 4XL, which is really nice. I'm pretty disappointed because I baby my devices and this is the first one I've ever had fail.

Yours was out of warranty and they did all that? Worth looking at.

I might turn my 6 into a 7, it looks like for $70 after tax you can do that because a pixel 6 trades for $479 and a 7 costs $499.

Edit: trade value on a 5a is only $325 now, and much less of you trade for a 6a.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sharkytm posted:

It was under warranty, bought last Black Friday. Trade in on the 5a was $350, which made it a no brainer. I just checked and it says $350 trade-in credit. The 4a 5G is $325 trade-in.

Thanks, I had misread because Google calls it a "Pixel 5a with 5G" in some places, including the 1 year repair program.

Mine is out of warranty, purchased Sep 2021. I guess the next question I have is "is the Pixel 6a better than the 5a"? My wife and I both preferred the ergonomics and the camera on the 5a, the only reason I have a 6 is because it was hundreds cheaper than the 5a due to trade in deal bullshit.

Google store will let you trade in a 5a for a 6a for just the sales taxes right now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Mine did the same thing on Wednesday. Drove up to ubreakifix and they swapped on a new screen with no change. Tried a second screen after verifying that their screen worked: no change. They're replacing the motherboard under warranty. I've already bought a Pixel 7 and I'm swapping the 5a as a trade-in for a $350 credit. I would go to a store to get it replaced if you have one locally. Mine is 45 minutes away, and they gave me a loaner 4XL, which is really nice. I'm pretty disappointed because I baby my devices and this is the first one I've ever had fail.

I am also getting a new motherboard under the 1 year extended repair, apparently. So a new screen and motherboard on this 5a, but we bought a 6a and applied this as trade, so it's just getting traded after I get it back from being repaired.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Honestly, that would be the heading of my Pixel 7 review. The back is so slippery that without a case, it slides right off my horizontal wireless charging pads. How did that make it through testing? Fingerprint recognition is vastly inferior to my 5. How did that make it through? Never mind, I know the answer: someone did flag it, fixing it would have cost money, Google didn't want to spend it.

I went through all this last year with the Pixel 6, I prefer not to case a phone but I absolutely have to with the P6 because it's so slippery it slides off of fully horizontal surfaces on its own.

My wife had a 5a, and we both preferred the form factor and fingerprint sensor of the 5a so much that I had buyers remorse and tried to convince her to trade me so that I could have the 5a.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

After 2+ years on a Moto G Power (2020), I tried out a Moto G Stylus 5G for about 3 weeks and hated it. Got a used Pixel 5A on Swappa and I'm a lot happier.

Since this phone is scheduled for updates until next August, should I be in any big rush to move up to the 7? If I did it right now, I could get $130 from trading this 5a in, plus a $100 discount via referral code. Aside from the extra 2GB of RAM, am I missing anything game-changing?

The Pixel 5a has had a much higher than expected failure rate, to the point where Google did an extended warranty.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en

My wife's failed this way, and apparently a ton of them are, according to the repair shop. Hers got a whole replacement motherboard and storage in addition to just the screen for free. We traded it towards a 6a because I'm still traumatized about my Nexus 5x and it's 3 warranty replacements.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Had a Pixel 5a black screen, and it won't turn on. Looks like there was an extended warranty for this issue, hopefully the repair place can fix it tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with this issue?

Yeah, I went through that two months ago, with a more than 1 year old 5a. The process took a few days because they didn't have a screen in stock, had to order the screen shipped, then broke the motherboard during the repair so when I got the phone back it had been fully factory reset and the storage was wiped, because replacing the motherboard includes the SSD.

Didn't cost me a cent though!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What's a phone recommendation for something:
1. Under $500
2. Android with a minimum of vendor fuckery
3. Camera at least as good as a Pixel 3a
4. Not gigantic slate
5. Will last at least 2 years without a hardware failure

My wife's Pixel 6a just ate poo poo with a hardware failure that leaves it in fastboot showing a failed diagnostic screen. It's in warranty, but it is frustrating as hell to have another dead Pixel. Once again the backup Moto G5 Plus from 2017 is being pressed into service, it has now outlived four Google Pixels between the two of us. My wife's Pixel 3a died with internal hardware failure a few weeks before the 5a was released, her Pixel 5a died and was repaired under this program: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en, and now her 6a is dead at 9 months old.

We're feeling pretty frustrated with Pixel hardware failures. We both had Nexus 5Xes that failed, and then the warranty replacement 5Xes also failed the same way. Her Pixel 1 died after warranty, Pixel 3a died so she got the 5a, the 5a repair took more than a full week so she bought a 6a and then traded the repaired 5a towards it, and now we have another dead Pixel. At some point I feel like it's not bad luck and the Pixels really do have worse hardware reliability than basically any other phone out there. This is absurd.

Meanwhile, the Moto G5 Plus that she's using as a backup phone again was purchased for $240 in 2017. I used it as my primary phone for 3.5 years, and it's been pressed into service again for varying amounts of time to replace one of my broken Pixels and three of hers. It's been dropped off a bicycle at speed, fallen out of a car window, stepped on, and abused constantly. It has never been inside a case and its metal body is covered in not just scrapes, but deep gouges. The screen is scratched, but does not have a single crack on it. It's thinner than any modern phone and the battery still lasts all day. Its front fingerprint reader is super fast and works every time, unlike my Pixel 6. Meanwhile all these pixels that keep breaking are babied inside of big thick Spigen cases, and are completely pristine looking up until they day they die of motherboard failure.

I guess what I'm asking is, how can I buy a new Moto G5 Plus?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

My Moto G Power was like $180 and while the camera was never mind-blowing it did the job. Also, having just switched to a Pixel 7a, I kinda already miss the battery life on the Motorola... I'd regularly get 2 days use out of a single charge, even after two years of ownership. Hell, I just left it powered on after I pulled the SIM and it's only now hit 4% battery life after idling on wifi for a week. No real Android fuckery either... so basically, buy another cheap Motorola, sounds like you're already on the right track.

You made me look, and as appealing as the cheap-ness of a 2023 Moto G 5G is, a 720p screen is a hard sell at this point and I don't think it passes the "better camera than a Pixel 3a" test either: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_(2023)-12249.php

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Pixel 7a, or weird pick, Asus Zenfone 9 lightly used or refurbed

You saw the part where in the past 2 year period she's had a Pixel 3a, 5a, and 6a spontaneously kill themselves? The 5a and 6a were under warranty, but still, what the gently caress.

Edit: also, with modern phones and water resistance, a phone that has been pried apart in the back of an Asurion is not as good as a new one.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 6, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mr. Mercury posted:

Howdy Android thread, here for a temperature check:

The OP was made in 2016 and that was seven years ago! Would you all be interested in a new one? As this thread is active by IYG standards, it's probably beneficial to reduce barriers to entry by newcomers looking for answers.

Yeah, I'd love this, especially because Pixels have changed the landscape so much, and selfishly because I'm considering going non-Pixel after this 6.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Artelier posted:

Are there any sleeper hit phones right now? Like how say the OnePlus 1 was when it first came out. I kinda like the form factor of the Zenphone, but not sure if there's say, a camera powerhouse, or an OS masterpiece, etc.

I had some really great Honor then Huawei phones but then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Defend your future purchases!

I just want to know what's out there, honest! The market seems to have fully consolidated around Pixel and Samsung.