Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kingtheninja posted:

My wife has an S4 (for about 8 months now) and it's gone kind of crazy in the past few weeks. Her gallery doesn't load properly, photos either appear corrupted or not at all. Sometimes the numbers on her display are just dots, and now the phone is restarting itself periodically.

We took it to our carrier and they said it was something wrong with the lollipop update and all we could do is just wait for an update to fix it. That seems like a pretty lazy answer, so I'm wondering if there's anything else to be done or another explanation for the problems she's having.

I would try factory resetting it. If that doesn't fix it, I'd wager hardware issues. I have an S4 and ran CM lollipop without any of those problems. I reverted to KitKat mostly because of the run of the mill Bluetooth bugs in their nightlies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

OddObserver posted:

However, Samsung installed the keyboard with ultra-high "System" privileges (which it hardly needs), with which it turns out it can be
tricked into overwriting some system services with arbitrary dangerous code.

If this allows root and unlocking bootloaders on KNOX'ed devices, that'd be hilarious.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Rexxed posted:

I'd consider getting an mhl cable and hook it up to HDMI monitor if the digitizer is still working:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Adapter-integrated-Charging/dp/B00ESM3Q7K/

If the digitizer isn't working you might need a USB OTG cable to plug in a mouse also, although I don't know if the phone will do both mhl and usb otg at the same time, I'm sure there's information about it online.

This one apparently does MHL and OTG at the same time and seems compatible with the S3, but there may be others that are cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/WEme-Multimedia-Charging-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00OJX6DY6/

Does anyone else experience a drastic framerate drop when plugging in a TV? My S4 (VZW, Cyanogen) and Note 10.1 2014 (Wifi, 'Wiz) halve the framerate when I hook up a TV. I've heard of people using phones as emulation devices once they're out of date, but at half the framerate there's really no point.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

revmoo posted:

Google has absolute poo poo customer service. Or, more accurately has no customer service.

I remember buying a bunch of adwords credit a while back and they double-billed me. Somehow I managed to make contact with their customer support team who flat-out refused to refund the extra charge. As in, straight-up said "No we will not be doing that"

I never received a Chromecast and spent weeks trying to get a refund from Customer Service until finally opening a credit dispute. Never again.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

MrBond posted:

I'd say the only really bad part is that it can disable pen recognition. I get why it does given some internal pen sensor but combined with a pen that doesn't prevent you from making it reversible in the slot, it's kinda silly.

You can set pen detection to always be on, but the setting implies it uses power (I haven't noticed any significant drain on my tablet). It's hardly ideal, but won't render the pen unusable.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Seems like there's a dearth of information about Samsung phones aside from "lol Touchwiz Samsung'ed," so I'll try to offer some impressions of my new-ish Verizon Note 4.

I upgraded from an S4 with Cyanogen 11, which worked perfectly fine apart from an aging battery. The reasons I wanted a Note over, say, a Motorola or an S6 were for the screen and stylus. I have a Note 10.1 2014 tablet and love it. I am able to write lists, DnD character sheets, and do the occasional drawing. I wanted that type of functionality in a portable package.

In practice, though, the size isn't ideal in my pocket. I have to slide the phone to the side of my leg in order to lift my leg and tie my shoes. In tighter jeans, the phone pokes out at times. It's also pretty annoying to hold and operate one-handed, even though I have scary-huge hands.

The stylus is wonderful, and is a much better pointing device than a finger. It works great in all applications. For artwork, though, I'm missing the big screen of my tablet. The battery life and cell reception easily beat my S4. The build quality is the decent quality I've come to expect since the S3.

Touchwiz and Verizon stay out of the way for the most part. The speed is okay, but i think CM is snappier on my old phone. There's a page of apps that I have disabled on both my tablet and phone for battery drain and usability reasons. I'd be happy to share my list. This device enforces the "no hotspot unless you buy it" rule, even though I'm on capped LTE data. I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

The only thing that really pissed me off is the high volume warning which showed up while paired to my car stereo. It might have gone away with a recent update, though, I haven't seen it lately. It also doesn't pair with my car stereo until I manually tell either device to each time I turn the car on. I frequently see my car stereo blamed for its Bluetooth implementation though, so I don't know which device is doing it wrong. The fingerprint scanner really sucks and doesn't play nice with cases. This seems to be fixed in the Note 5.

The screen is beautiful, the battery life is great, the stylus makes things easy, but its size would make me choose a different phone if I had to do it again. It's great for women with purses, though. My sister just shoves her Note 2 in her purse and doesn't think about it.

So yeah, I don't really get the amount of Samsung hate in here. Some is certainly warranted. However, I'd call the build quality above-average and their software has really shaped up over the last couple of years.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

FAUXTON posted:

It's because you're using a Note rather than the S series.

Do you mean that there is an appreciable difference in the software stack these days? My S4 with Touchwiz was perfectly usable, IMO, but I had a 16GB model. I ultimately switched to CM because it freed up multiple gigabytes of storage.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Custom ROMs don't actually free up much. You get less carrier and OEM software shoving its updates in userspace, but systemspace is generally fixed and unavailable to user apps.

You might be right, I don't know where the Samsung ROM puts all the extra fluff. I definitely gained entire gigs of usable storage back after going CM, that much I know.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've been playing with the adopted storage feature on my old Galaxy S4 and it doesn't seem nearly as awful of an idea as you guys let on. Android will supposedly warn you if your media is slower than Class 10, so you have to go out of your way to intentionally shoot yourself in the foot. It also doesn't seem to prefer moving the apps themselves (and other performance-critical stuff, I suppose) over to the card unless they specifically allow this. If you look at what it places out there, it's some app-generated data and media (photos, music, podcasts, browser downloads, etc.).

It's not really putting your two filesystems together in a blender. It looks like it just makes symlinks (or something like that) for certain directories which point to your card, so your apps won't notice that they're actually placing your podcasts on different storage. I think it's actually pretty elegant if you're permanently keeping your SD card installed and/or have an encrypted device.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mister Fister posted:

Get an android watch, it will vibrate you awake... or not if you're that heavy a sleeper.

Pebble will do that too, as well as Fitbit (I think). It's pretty jarring at first.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kytrarewn posted:

Couple problems with that idea. First, it just doesn't work for me, but beyond that, with the battery life and inconvenient charging mechanisms of several android watches, the only reasonable time to charge the thing is while you are asleep, and it can't be around your wrist while charging.

Please note: the only android watch that I own is the 360, so it's probable that newer attempts fare better on some of those fronts.

I know it's not Android Wear, but Pebble Time (and Time Steel) last close to a week on battery. I only charge mine while I'm in the shower. The vibration is also really strong.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was worried about the reported issues with the 5X, since I just got one through the Project Fi promo. Granted, I'd only been using it for less than a week, but I didn't notice any lag issues prior to the March update. I received the update about a day ago, still no issues. In fact, this phone has been working better than the past two Samsungs I've had. Yeah, yeah, I know. Samsung'ed and whatnot.

A lot of people noted that Facebook will make performance worse. I never ran Facebook on it in the first place, so maybe that's it. I also have a 32GB, if that matters.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

For what it's worth, the majority of the information Google Now shows me isn't that useful either. The only thing i really liked were package notifications. The "where you parked" notification is probably too inaccurate to be of any real use. I can give it another try now that I'm part of the Nexus-Fi Master Race.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

EDIT: Whoops

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

Serious answer: My Nexus 5X is fine, and other people report that the March update is legit and solved a lot of problems.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

captain poopfister posted:

It's a dev phone. Still doesn't account for its untested nature, it's like testing a new car chassis on journalists without putting wheels on it first.

"Unstable and missing features" is pretty much the definition of an alpha build, Mr. Poopfister. You're pretty much dealing with a concept car at this point.

azurite fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 28, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Never mind developer previews, I don't even consider Android "stable" until at least one or two point-versions in.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

spincube posted:

Maybe we could watch TV together while I show you the easter egg in the dialer app :)

Oh my

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anker is a good brand for both cables and batteries.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Grumpwagon posted:

How is the 5x's GPS performance? We're looking at replacing a Nexus 5 because of the awful GPS performance (and battery life and ...), and that is a pretty attractive price now that most of the performance issues are cleared up.

Seems okay to me.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Physically broken is my vote too.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Dark One posted:

I plugged my Moto G in and the reported charge shot up immediately to 100%. I rebooted it and it still reported 95%.

Is this a sign my battery is failing?

Nah. However, it does look like something is generating activity that is keeping your phone awake. I'd look into that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was a legit WebOS fanboy when it was new. It took a while before Android came even close to the same level interface-wise.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

You will get the warning on US Samsungs and there's no way to turn it off.

Edit: My Note 4 would drop the volume randomly, usually when something is paired like car audio.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Google Music doesn't keep its cache in the music folder, so it doesn't get placed on the SD card. It gets treated like app data instead.

From what I've been able to tell, certain folders like media-related ones are on the SD. The app data stays internal unless it explicitly allows itself to be moved.

azurite fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 22, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Who needs SD cards anyway when you can simply just pop open your phone and solder in a new eMMC chip?

Holy cow. Not even a drag-solder deal. They managed to do it with a BGA. I wonder what tools you'd need for that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I had to calibrate my 5X fingerprint reader a couple times until I captured the right angles for unlocking one-handed. Now it's great.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LastInLine posted:

ilkhan is right, it's the network denying you access not a problem with the phone but it should be noted that you cannot receive SMS over data, they must come over the cellular voice connection. It's integral to the protocol that they do and you can't receive them in any other way.

Notable exception being if you're on Fi. Otherwise, completely true.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

SouthLAnd posted:

What's the consensus on adoptable storage in 6.0? I decided to throw a 64GB Samsung Evo card in my Moto X Pure. All my photos and music are backed up in the cloud, but I really wanted to download a bunch of my Amazon movies to the phone. So far everything seems to be working as advertised, but it's only been a day. Anyone have long term success?

The thread consensus is, "SD slots shall remain absent and/or vacant under all circumstances, lest you will drown in the animes." I think it can be helpful to get photos and media onto the SD card if your apps can't natively do so. Some apps annoyingly use internal storage anyway (Google Music), so YMMV.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

bull3964 posted:

Odd because Google Music actually lets you pin to SD card if you don't adopt storage.

Right, if you DON'T adopt storage.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Tsyni posted:

So did I make a giant mistake when I adopted my 64gb sd card? I figured since I had no plans to remove it frequently it was the way to go.

No. You'll be fine.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use this car charger. I didn't really check for "rapid charging." It works, though, and hasn't caused any damage to person or property.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0172QQNBY/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 27, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

galahan posted:

nexus 5x case recommendations anyone? Is everyone still in love with diztronic?
Is the "official" case good?

I'm coming from a seidio...

Diztronic's good on the 5x. I've heard good things about the cases Google sells, but I can't vouch for them.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

peterjmatt posted:

My wife has a 16gb Moto X Pure, and she's having a mystery storage problem. Obviously system data cuts that 16gb into more like 9.6gb, but as this list shows, there's roughly 2.8gb of that 9.6gb missing and unaccounted for. Any ideas?

The built in storage utility only gives you a general overview. There might be directories on the device like "Downloads" sucking up space. There could also be OTAs or something. There are apps that can actually total up how much storage each directory consumes.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

One alternative that I considered (before figuring out mobile Firefox could adblock) was setting up a VPN or proxy server at my house which would handle the blocking. That's accessible if you're even the least bit technical.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I just Googled it. It's Fleksy, as you suspected. Maybe there's a setting for syncing while charging?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

waxluthor posted:

Sorry if this had been talked about, I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. What's everybody's take on the Superbook? Certainly looks pretty neat on their video and it's about half the price of a decent Chromebook.

Didn't Motorola already try and fail to do this with the Atrix?

Granted, it was 2011, but it was still a product nobody was asking for.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BJPaskoff posted:

I have a Nexus 6P, and my girlfriend has a Nexus 5x. We need a portable Pokemon Go Trip Extender battery charger. What's the best, cheapest option, even if it's just double our batteries or thereabouts? I'm wary about just picking one since a lot of times I'll discover in reviews that the charger only inputs USB-C, not outputs.

I don't think many, if any, battery packs support USB C yet. You'll need an adapter. I just bought an Anker ~10000 mAh pack for $22ish that I haven't tried yet. Should theoretically get me around 2.5 or 3 charges. My Anker 3000 mAh pack is a few years old and is losing its oomph (got me around a half a charge on my 5X still). They're generally regarded as a good, affordable brand.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BJPaskoff posted:

By adapter, do you mean just a USB to USB-C wire? Because I have one of those that came with my Nexus 6P.

Sounds good, but $99 is three times as much as I wanted to spend.

Yeah, I meant a USB-A (normal) to USB-C cable or adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Skywalker OG posted:

Do QC 3.0 batteries quick charge over A to C cables? I have an anker QC 3.0 battery and am wondering if it will quick charge an HTC 10.

I don't think current phones and USB-C cables are prepared to receive quick charge (more voltage) at this point. "Rapid" charging is a thing, but that is increased amperage, which is safe. If a C device somehow triggers QC and isn't ready for it, it might be blown up by the higher voltage.

Edit: fwiw, I don't think any current C phones are capable of triggering QC.