Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So I've decided that I'm going to renew my contract and grab a Turbo.

Is there any reason (other than the fact that the 64GB iteration only comes in ballistic nylon) to choose the Ballistic Nylon version over the Kevlar one, since I'm going to be throwing the thing into a case anyway? I don't store much as far as media on my phone, so the extra 32GB is by no means essential.

Anything, from sound quality, cooling, durability, whatever else, might convince me to go for the bigger capacity version, but if it's otherwise identical I can't really justify the expense to myself.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Bob A Feet posted:

I have the nylon version and without a case it's grippier than the Kevlar but that's it. Mine went straight into a case as well.

Thanks for the info- I figured that was the case, but didn't want to make a commitment beforehand.

Grabbed a black 32GB from BestBuy for $1.06. Probably the best deal I've ever gotten on a cellular telephone.

Unfortunately, there are some idiosyncrasies:
1. Bestbuy had no cases, and the only reasonable case the verizon store next door had for the thing was an Otterbox Commuter, which is kind of a piece of poo poo. Excessively bulky with stiff controls and difficult to move flaps over the microUSB and 1/8" audio jacks. Feels hollow and weak, while at the same time having absolutely no texture making it altogether too easy to drop or push off of a table. I bought a new iphone5 Commuter for my stepbrother at the same time, and that was definitely a much better thought-out piece of kit.

2. How the gently caress am I supposed to get rid of "Motorola Demo Mode"? I can force stop it every time I turn the phone on, but it doesn't do anything useful, swallows battery life and seemingly can't be permanently disabled without rooting the phone, which I'm not as yet prepared to do. Anyone have a sugggestion?

3. My favorite piece of paid android software is a $10 chromatic tuner app from Pederson called "Strobosoft". Unfortunately, it's not (yet?) supported on the droid turbo, the phone being too new or too limited in terms of distribution (verizon only). My previous phone (Droid DNA) was able to run strobosoft, but none of the SPL meter apps worked well with it since they seem to require a stock microphone profile have been compiled (friends with Samsungs have never had a problem with either, but gently caress Touchwiz). My other chromatic tuner seems to work with it just fine, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kidney Stone posted:

Just for the fun of it, can people post their AnTuTu score of their phone(s)?

For my Xiaomi MI4 it's 44579.

Day old Droid Turbo: 50826

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

LastInLine posted:

One day and you've got two moons, a virus scanner, and a battery meter? Four more persistent notifications and you'll level up!

To be fair to myself, which I for one think is very important: One of the moons (which aren't persistent really, just when I should be in bed anyway) came from the battery meter, and the other showed up on the phone by default as per Moto. When i set up sleep mode, I hadn't realized that the phone had one built-in. I haven't messed with the virus scan, but it showed up stock (remember, we're talking about Verizon Wireless here).

And the battery meter is great since it fits right in with the gimmick of the phone- being able to actually watch how quickly the thing is charging/discharging in terms of an estimate of actual time.

On the other hand, I'd love to know how to get that NFC notification to disappear.

EDIT: It's not a virus-scan, it's a motorola remote find/lock/wipe thing, apparently.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 28, 2014

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

ilkhan posted:

Z4/Z4c probably next phone if it retains the waterproof (likely) and adds qi (possible).

US carriers will probably make them remove Qi again, like with the G3.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mister Fister posted:

Get an android watch, it will vibrate you awake... or not if you're that heavy a sleeper.

Couple problems with that idea. First, it just doesn't work for me, but beyond that, with the battery life and inconvenient charging mechanisms of several android watches, the only reasonable time to charge the thing is while you are asleep, and it can't be around your wrist while charging.

Please note: the only android watch that I own is the 360, so it's probable that newer attempts fare better on some of those fronts.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Verizon really wants me to upgrade from my Droid Turbo to one of their newer options, and, in exchange, are offering an unneeded boost to our family plan's bandwidth if I should do so, but it's a bit of a bitter pill given that we've already got 4GB of overhead (We have an 18GB plan, on the worst month ever for bandwidth we managed to hit 14, but typically stick right around 10-12 with 5 or so lines).

My turbo is probably the best smartphone I've ever had, but any time you can get something "free" out of verizon, it's worth considering.

I need long battery run-time, and so I'm mostly considering Turbo2 vs. S7edge. I also need Bluetooth LE, so the HTC M9 isn't even being considered.

My major complaint with my Turbo has been the weakness of the Bluetooth+wifi chip, which loses connection if you have more than a couple things running at once, such as Car phone connection + Smartwatch + YaV1 + Wifi enabled, you'll lose connection to any of the above randomly and usually at the worst possible times.

Has this been improved upon in either the Turbo2 or the S7 Edge?

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 6, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Doctor Butts posted:

I own the Turbo 2 but I don't know if I've ever had a situation like that.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth/Wi-Fi when streaming music from the internet to my phone over Wi-Fi and then having that music played on the Bluetooth speaker my phone is paired to.

Pretty sure I'm going to wind up on a vanilla S7. A family member needs a new phone and to be added to my family plan, so given the current BOGO promotion, the choices come down to S7 or S7edge, and I really find it difficult to justify the additional 20% (28/mo vs. 33/mo) for a slightly bigger battery (I spend most of my time in my car with the phone on a charger) and different notification icons.

If I'm making a terrible mistake, please let me know (besides, of course, buying an upgrade 8 months early out of a phone that I actually like for the sake of bandwidth that has not to date been necessary, but who counts that, really...)

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

703 posted:

I am in your boat in regards to the S7 or S7edge debate. Going to the verizon store today to get a feel for both of them.

Also, if i purchased through this deal (http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-now-available-discounted-price-599-us-2348995), would there be any difference in this than the phone i would by at Verizon?

Verizon is offering a Buy One, Get One promotion if you add a line to your account for one of the phones. It's the kind of thing, though, that's not going to be terribly useful to too many people outside of specific situations (Kid turning 16, family member's phone breaks when they're ready for a contract upgrade, etc).

So that's $28/mo for 24 months via Edge for two phones. Is it less expensive than $600 flat-out, even for one phone? Yes, but it locks two people into Verizon contracts for two years, so take that as you will.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What options do I need to change to get this stupid s7 to stop connecting automatically to unsecured wifi?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, tap/hold and forget the network? This doesn't happen to me...

It's a brand new phone, it shouldn't have any saved networks. And if it does, they shouldn't be "CoxWiFi" in some random place as I drive past it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

plainswalker75 posted:

Did you import from a previous device? My S7 imported all my saved wifi passwords from my old S4 when I switched over.

That's an interesting question. I did import contacts, from my Motorola Turbo (As the name would imply, not a Samsung device), but I did that through my google account rather than through a physical or bluetooth direct connection. Are wifi passwords stored server-side by Google? That would be a bit annoying.

Beyond that, even if they are storing wifi passwords server-side, in plain text, that doesn't explain why it would likewise transfer over unsecured wifi access points, nor why it would connect to a similarly-named access point somewhere I have never before been, unless it only imports SSID and key, and not MAC address or any other identifiers.

It's just weird.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Krime posted:

Here's an interesting thing I discovered about my Note 5 charging issue.

When plugged in it is taking about twice as long to charge as it does when I wireless charge... like any wired charging is just usb powered charge like you'd get when charging from a computer port.

Right now I'm at 26% battery.

4 hours and change to wired charge to full

2 hours and change to wireless charge to full

I'm ready to just do a factory reset on the drat phone and see if that fixes it.

Are you using the same wall-wart and cord on your wireless paddle and your direct charge? Just because the adapter isn't plugged into a computer doesn't necessarily mean that it's providing a full 1A+ to the charging port on your phone.

Additionally, android and apple use slightly different wiring for AC charging, so oftimes car-chargers will only give you the USB rate if it was made for high-current charging for an Apple phone or vice versa.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Because I don't own a set of calipers (I know... it's on the list) does anyone have an idea on the thickness of an S7 non-edge in an Incipio case? I need to order a proclip to attach the thing my car (There's no good place to attach the thing to the windshield, and the texture of the dash keeps dashmount suction cups from adhering) and they've got two different models depending on the thickness of the phone+case:

"For device thickness from 6-10 mm and width from 62-77 mm." http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/samsung/galaxy-s7/adjustable-holder-for-small-to-medium-cases-246824-19963.cmsv
"Device thickness: 9-13 mm and Width adjustment: 75-89 mm." http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/samsung/galaxy-s7/adjustable-holder-for-device-with-a-rugged-case-246850-19963.cmsv

Am I correct in assuming that only Otterbox-defender style cases will require the bigger holder and my two-ply plastic/rubber thing will not?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

nimper posted:

You're making this way too hard. Just look for the dimensions of the Incipio case you have.

Good idea. So:

quote:

Length 5.83 inches (148.08 mm)
Width 2.96 inches (75.18 mm)
Weight 0.1 lb (1.6 oz)
Depth 0.48 inches (12.19 mm)

Guess I've got to get the big holder.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kytrarewn posted:

Good idea. So:

Guess I've got to get the big holder.

Trip report for the bigger adjustable holder from Proclip for Galaxy S7 with Incipio DualPro case: The phone isn't thick enough to fully justify the larger holder, and it's entirely tightened down, widthwise, but doesn't apply really any horizontal pressure to the phone's case. That said, I've driven around a fair bit with the phone in the holder and haven't heard any knocks or rattles from it, though I've been generally slipping some paper (the manual for the holder) behind the phone while it's in there just to give it a tiny bit less effective depth.

Now I'm considering just ditching the case and getting the custom holder for the phone, just for perfect support.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Tunga posted:

80% of our users are on Samsung devices so we do have to target them specifically in the sense of working around their stupid platform bugs and aggressive memory management. Though I refuse to use one for general development purposes.

Yeah, that's the thing about Samsung- they're ubiquitous, and so apps that require hardware calibration tend to work better with them than than they do with the competition. As a musician, there are a number of apps I use that rely upon the phone's microphone like dB-meters and chromatic tuners. These never worked well on either my Droid Turbo or my Droid DNA... hell not even on my Galaxy Nexus, if it comes to that. Since getting the S7, all of a sudden they work perfectly. Now, obviously that's a niche market, and I would certainly be better served by using purpose-designed hardware (I've got hardware tuners and dB meters but I don't always want to drag them around with me, especially to non-paying gigs) but the fact of the matter is that having the standard piece of hardware for the apps is beneficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

RZA Encryption posted:

What's the benefit to doing this again? So I can awkwardly try to get it to work, holding everyone in line up, just so I don't have to insert?
Oh, and examine the payment terminal to see if it has an nfc reader, then hope it's activated?

You don't look like an asshat when you swipe your card instead of sticking it in the chipreader or vice versa?