Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Court costs and fees are a massive problem for low income people who get put into the criminal justice system, often putting them in jail for missing payments and fines. These are how governments pay for CJ rather than through a progressive tax system, and if you bring up just how punishing and onerous these fees and fines are on the people who bear them they just say "well maybe they shouldn't commit crimes then :colbert:"

I was out with my sister and some friends of hers in Manhattan and we got ticketed by a cop because we were shooting the poo poo with him while we were drunk at 2am and then he accidentally slipped over a curb and fell on his rear end. He got mad and wrote us tickets for drunk and disorderly. We didn't even laugh, and one of our guys offered to help him up, but he was just pissed off and fined us for being in the general vicinity.

So, yeah, that's my story of bullshit tickets in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm not a supporter of John Boehner, but at least he knows how to lead a caucus away from their worst impulses most of the time and how to thwart his political rivals. But Louie Gohmert is just a loudmouthed, grandstanding idiot, and it says a lot about the GOP polity that the base is totally behind the idea of making a barking non-entity Speaker of the House.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

achillesforever6 posted:

When was Byrd apart of the KKK while being a Democrat? I bet it was the 50s and 60s!!!!

He started a chapter with ~150 other people in West Virginia in the 1940's, he also filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act and supported the War in Vietnam. Later on, he had a change of heart and regretted his time as a Dixiecrat.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Neeksy posted:

Honestly I feel a bit conflicted with the Charlie Hebdo stuff.

Clearly they should not have been murdered over drawing cartoons, and they have the right to publish what they want. But at the same time the cartoons they made were often racist and just downright vile, and elevating their work or allowing the tragedy to make them immune from criticism worries me.

Context matters in satire. Maybe that cartoon is lampooning French racism, or maybe it's lampooning French politics, or maybe they're just trying to be shocking for the sake of being shocking. Taking a single cartoon from a body of work can give you a distorted view of an artist.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The shooting thread is so radioactively lovely that it's making GBS threads up otherwise good threads.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If it were edited so that the guy running away had DnD on his rear end, it'd be a pretty good cartoon.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Guardian Media Group has pledged £100k donation to Charlie Hebdo to help ensure it's not silenced. Google is giving $300k.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Independent:

It's a little gauche, but I could use a "Haw Haw! Right up his rear end!" cartoon atm.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nosfereefer posted:

Why is the manhole on fire?

Yours aren't? We've had flaming manholes here in Minneapolis since at least the late-70's. What primitive shithole are you living in?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sandpuppy posted:

Boehner looks like he came straight from a Gorillaz video.

They all do. I've never seen Telnaes' work before, she's really talented.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I never looked into the history of why Muslims decided that depicting Mohammed is blasphemous, but I always figured that it was a part of Orthodox Christianity's Iconoclast leanings that the Turks absorbed into their DNA after they conquered Byzantium. The veil was certainly popularized by the Ottoman court.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Beautiful.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Should show Jeb and W waltzing away from their more centrist father.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xenochrist posted:

Also, why is there an elephant on that trash-heap?

Represents the GOP-establishment who turned their back on true conservatives in order to empower themselves in our godless secular liberal society. They are secret liberals, but there is no where to hide.

No, really.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I always feel a bit bad when our dumb ideas start drifting north.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ague Proof posted:

For some reason I read this comic as 'vote against Obama by assassinating him'. I'm assuming it's not that.

He's referring to the Fredrick Douglass quote, "A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Especially hated in this thread.

That was the first time that I've seen it. I actually growled a tiny bit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I don't get this one. Lawmaker is in favor of a bill, and therefore should recuse themself from voting on decisions regarding it? Doesn't that imply that everyone should recuse themselves from all votes on bills since they'd have to be in favor or against it to make a decision anyway? I'm not seeing the conflict of interests here.

Elena Kagen is a Supreme Court justice.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

minimalist posted:

There is precisely one Supreme Court justice who has been literally caught napping during oral arguments, but gently caress if you'll ever see Rameriz mock that one.

To be fair, Clarence Thomas has said many times over that he considers oral arguments to be a complete waste of his time and that he wouldn't attend them at all if he didn't have to.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

Are we supposed to dislike this chap? How are we supposed to dislike Wallace of W&G?

I don't make many absolute pronouncements, but anyone who doesn't like Wallace of W&G is a bad person through and through.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PrBacterio posted:

:wtc: I know it's Muir but it still bears being asked, where the gently caress do these people even come up with this poo poo? This is what strikes me about the right these days, they don't even have any real grievances even within their own warped worldview so they have to make them up out of thin air in order to be able to even complain.

Ever been to the FReep thread? Those people have themselves whipped up into such a frenzy that they literally think that middle-aged Christian white men in the US today are as badly oppressed as Jews were in Germany, 1938.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Klaus88 posted:

I don't even see how this is relevant to the politoons thread. :shrug:

JRR Rose making a dumb dadjoke is always relevant.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Beautiful.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not a bad joke, McCoy. I'll give you that one.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Oh, I see. They're going to symbolically shoot his dick off and then make jokes about how cool they are and how lame democrats are. Very interesting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Such wonderful sour grapes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Don't every let anyone pull this bullshit on you, life before the Internet was terrible.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

I'm ... not really sure what Bell is trying to say here. Boomers are fat and self-indulgent?

Oh no! He only lived to be 84. Man, fatty foods sure kill 'em young.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eight Dollars posted:

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the U.S. might be releasing Jonathan Pollard guys. Get ready for Kirschen to explode.

Well, now we know how far Obama will go to calm the Israelis down. The CIA is going to poo poo bricks though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah! The democrats are all the old white people! It's the republican party that is home to the hip, not old, not-whites.

New blood and new ideas would be a welcome addition to both parties, agc.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Danziger always brings out the heavy artillery when the GOP starts banging on about religion.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That trucker looks like he's about to take revenge on the tunnel that killed his dad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wut?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not to wank over a Dees too much, but this is pretty metal.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anti-gun liberals wouldn't have kept the stocks of powder and shot that the British were coming to seize thus avoiding the Battles of Lexington and Concord altogether?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I hope he dies in agony on November 19th.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

I wonder if anyone in Israel actually gives a gently caress about Jonathan Pollard.

They really do. News that he's going to be freed is all over the front page of the Jerusalem Post.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Please nobody actually try to look up Brian and ask if b-list political cartoonist Ted Rall eviscerated him with a drill press.

Alternately, someone look up Brian and tell him that Ted Rall was the guy who boobytrapped the drill press.

• Locked thread