Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

He contacted me on twitter wondering why we hated Rall so much :allears:

Did you point him toward 2024?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amoeba102 posted:

Someone get that coat hanger out of his mouth before he chokes.

Give him something safer to chew on, like a pretzel.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yep, when I think 'desperate terror network,' I think 'office job, but in a cave, and with more beards.' Where the gently caress is that computer getting power?

Branco, you pathetically white human being, not everyone lives the way you do.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gilganixon posted:

Generic whiteman with shades.

Baldo "The Cheeks" Shadesdude, First Hero of the New American Revolution

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Angepain posted:

I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out and now it's all I can see, dear god

It's the giant Sir Robin ran from, except it seems to have lost its other two heads.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

What the gently caress? Seriously, what the gently caress?

The only part of this that I can actually parse is that Tinsley was terrified to actually have a white guy talk about low academic standards in literally any context, so he brought in a black co-commentator to make sure that he's Not-RacistTM. At least we're almost two weeks into 2015 and he hasn't started his predictions.

Yet.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

tacodaemon posted:

It's a good thing Tim Kreider has never done anything racially questionable! From "What Now for the Giant Squid", Oct. 5, 2005:

tacodaemon posted:

It's a good thing Tim Kreider never drew anything that could be interpreted as insulting by Muslims

tacodaemon posted:

What if Tim Kreider had once drawn something that called for violence against an Arab country?

Thanks for completely proving the point of Kreider's op-ed.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

colonel_korn posted:

"I know it's not all about me, but here's a 12-point list about how it actually is." Also I wonder if the "right" answer to the first question was "gently caress yeah I'll probably offend some people" rather than the wishy-washy response that Ted gave. Shine on you crazy diamond.

"Hey, gang. Ted Rall here. I know some of you are thinking about the folks who just got shot in France. Well, I was in a situation like that once, too. I got turned down for a few jobs. It's basically the same thing. Take care, now."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

It's pretty much him and Ted Rall tied for the worst artist in this thread. Assholes like Ramirez are at least technically capable, even if their actual composition is ugly and incompetent, and Muir's clipart collage style is at least not instantly revolting to look at.

Catalino still exists.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

... civilization came after the Flood

Genesis 4 posted:

17 Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch.
Genesis 4-17. Cain built a city while cursed to bear the everlasting sevenfold vengeance of God, and named it after his first-born son. Naturally, he did it on the back of a post-fall pre-flood T-Rex, which was strangely not mentioned in the good book, and this city didn't count as civilisation because of course it didn't, it was built by Cain.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This is such a bizarre fixation

"How dare cartoons depict anything in an inaccurate manner for the sake of saving space?" - A cartoonist who regularly draws people with 1:4 head:body proportions.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Woah hey that looks just like one of Tinsley's actual comics, I'm now confused. I wonder if the duck will help me understand what's going on without tacking on a pedophile joke in the funny pages.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Anyway, since I was promised some MLK cartoons and Drunky Ducky failed to deliver, can anybody supply me with some older ones?

In most cases, he deliberately doesn't produce an MLK cartoon and then mocks people for pointing that out by saying that he didn't make a squirrel appreciation day cartoon either.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Flaskraven posted:

It was, as I saw it, the beginning of a polemical pattern that metastasized into a philosophy. As I went from the late ’Sixties into the ‘Seventies, everything began to be “society’s fault”, America’s fault, “Western Civilization’s fault,” and basically, anybody’s fault but the person or group who actually DID whatever it was that was done. Kids did drugs because of “societal pressure”, violent criminals, who’ve been committing violent crimes for thousands of years, suddenly killed old ladies and children through no fault of their own, but “because of our society”. Fathers who abandoned their children were simply obeying some sort of cultural imperative that society had thrust upon them.

... Yeah. Yeah! Everyone should take responsibility for their own problems. Well said, Tinsley.

What? A DUI? Definitely the judge's fault. Better make a comic explaining how he's someone with a suspiciously similar name is an incompetent baby.

I know that it's loving petty to keep bringing that thing up, but I feel that to let anything go would be against the spirit of Bruce Tinsley, Professional Regurgitator of His Own Jokes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gilganixon posted:

Is it just me or is Ramirez phoning it in lately?

Are you kidding? Lamp-Biden is one of the most surreal things this thread has seen in a long while.

But yeah, holy hell this is a boring comic. "Here is my position on the issue. Thank you for reading." Not even an attempt at a punchline.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

Why does the name of the comic end in a four-period ellipsis.

WHY

When making a cartoon title page, it's good practice to warn people....

....about the content of the cartoon!...

E: The duck only has a job because of political correctness, Tinsley. Drawing him restricted by it now is called 'biting the hand that feeds.'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kegluneq posted:

He's mocking academic intelligentsia there, which Tinsley also does but from a really stupid political perspective (same goes for pokes at popular culture). Watson actually makes valid points through a sympathetic viewpoint though, whereas Tinsley is always no better than 'those liberals/some gizmo'.

Also, Watson goes full-bore ten-dollar-word bullshitter on the topic of overwriting and you can feel the research that he actually did on the subject- Calvin looks so happy with himself in the last panel!- whereas Tinsley just slaps traditional American history touchstones together and puts all of his words into a pair of bored-looking characterless assholes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not gonna let this one get buried.

"Oh by the way gold-digging sister-in-law liberal slut whore, you're not going to get any money out of my old man because he gave me literally everything he owns already. Why can't you just bootstrap yourself into having a wealthy family member who is willing to sacrifice everything for your right to continue to lay down lukewarm burns on Democrats? Also my wife, your sister, is gonna tattle on you because she is mentally still a child, but she's still more hireable than me but shut up about that."

This is in the funny pages.

"Man, I bet that journalists were really itching to be able to blame this recent real-life bloodshed on my personal heroes. Ha! Bet they're sad now."

This man is a cartoonist. His brothers-in-ink were gunned down by extremists. And he decided to go with the most flaccid burn I've ever read.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
E: Eh, Tinsley's not really worth the speculation

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wait. Wait. Hold up a moment here.

Let me just figure out the rules.

So the talking duck reporter interviews the unicorn and the unicorn says that he's often mistaken for [thing which the comic says does not exist]. The joke is that [thing which does not exist] looks like [thing which the comic says does not exist].

But.

But!

The unicorn is right there. He's saying the things.

He's THERE. He EXISTS. He is IN THE SAME UNIVERSE.

HE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DUCK. THE UNICORN IS REAL. THE DUCK IS INTERVIEWING HIM. The unicorn MUST be real- to the duck- because the only way the comic works is if the duck reporter is also real.

So the punchline isn't [thing doesn't exist], it's [deny thing exists even if it is right in front of you and it is obvious].

The only way that the duck reporter's comic makes any sense is if the duck is counting on everyone being exactly as deep in the denial of reality as he is.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lovely contrarianism?

It's WitchFetish.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

frajaq posted:

Hmm where did Muir copy that last face from?

Google'd "Shouting woman."

First page of results. Odd choice on Muir's part to steal the whole fuckin' pose, though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

I read a really nice article on some Japanese news site about this the other day. It basically said, you've got Muslims, and then inside that you have a very small percentage of them who are Islamists; i.e. that their religion should dictate national policy, and then inside them you have an even smaller group of people who believe this should be accomplished by violence. That first group mostly denounces the second, and the second mostly denounces the third.

Aha! I've got you now! Does the third group denounce themselves? No? Then I guess that Islam as a whole doesn't condemn violent Islamism, and therefore the entire religion is a combination of violent crazies and raw evil. :smugbert:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nice to see Lady Liberty taking centre stage. She's been in so many comics, and she's finally getting rewarded for it with an important role in a cartoon about a hot-button social issue.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

D.N. Nation posted:

Bob Gorrell, ladies and gentlemen.

Everyone else has already pointed out how enraging it is that there is a loving anti-vaxxer cartoonist and I'd rather not have 1984-related complaining become my gimmick, so I'm just gonna point out how loving weak the "joke" is here. Seriously, would anyone laugh at this?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ague Proof posted:

At least none of the cartoonists have stooped so low as to support them. Brownie points?

A voice echoes out of the darkness, leaving behind only the faint impression of a poorly-planned venn diagram and the smell of cuckoo eggs...

"Thank God all those Muslims have taken a break from threatening Israel... to go kill each other instead... Buyyyy my booooooook...!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New Muir. Possibly not safe for those at work or with a working knowledge of history.

And not mind-safe for those who understand anatomy or shading. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER ARM?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

beepsandboops posted:

A quick reminder that the horse-like creature in McCoy's cartoon is supposed to be this woman:

Yeah, if there's three things that stand out about that face, it's her bulbous nose tip, huge teeth, and massive chin.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Sorensen on gizmos

"Maybe all this screen time is harmful for you." - Jen Sorensen, www.jensorenesen.com, @JenSorensen on twitter. Any other social media links you'd like to plug while you're complaining about people using the net too much, Jen?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Someone change "Brian Williams" to Fox News.

And the Obama logo to 'Discerning Viewers'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Exactly 50, and a doofy dad joke to boot. Very impressive.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dammit, duck, you were so close to actually just having a dad joke George Washington comic, but you had to take that pointless and unfunny swipe at how Americans are dumb [because of the education system].

And that citation? loving Red Eye Chicago. Featuring such enlightening feature content as "Get steamy with RedEye's second-annual sex toy test" and "10 great acts at Pitchfork 2015."

Somfin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 15, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Please make fun of me.

in this story i'm rorus raz, k

so there i was making another pants edit in photoshop when all of a sudden Day By Day popped open except every character was the ultimate hustler and he said "bet you wish you could make a lady's pants be on the ground, but you can't" and as i fell back off my chair, tears welling in my eyes at his allegations, he clone stamped himself into a picture of my mom and added "and you don't even drink whiskey sours" and i was like drat

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

A lovely voice put toward a great cause. :patriot:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Hey, SVU doesn't need drugs to keep going. They'll be just fine until sex crimes are legalized.

What, you mean that show about SICKO FREAKS? The one that has all the cast of the TV CLASSICS and BUDDY COP MOVIES in tears? Hell, even the GOOD OLD FASHIONED DRUG DEALERS think those shows are for CREEPY PERVERTS rather than the DISCERNING TELEVISION VIEWERSHIP. SVU makes LADY LIBERTY cry.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

- A political cartoonist who majored in political science.

I literally cannot comprehend how one person can store up so much pointless, useless hatred for his fellows for this loving long. Surely after years- loving YEARS- of writing "gently caress you, academia," he'd have burned it off by now.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Because being attacked by official military forces of a country is exactly the same as being attacked by a terrorist group operating from within a country.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

He's right this time though, the price keeps going up and at at the very least, quality of education doesn't seem to be.

The price shouldn't be borne by the students. If Tinsley genuinely cared about the plight of students, he'd be calling for massive funding increases for universities. Instead, he just wants there to be no more academia at all.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

there wolf posted:

Does anyone else read this as Boehner furiously beating off to Ryan Ted Cruz?

That is literally what Muir intended. He hates McConnell and Boehner because he perceives them as being weak compared to the strong, righteous :swoon: Cruz-sama :swoon:. The ultimate form of male weakness in Muir's unfortunately common psyche is being gay while also being attracted to 'strong' men, because that means they want to take it in the butt like a sleeping Zed-wife (and there is nothing weaker than being in any way similar a woman). So naturally, while drawing a bunch of men dreaming of women, he makes Boehner dream of make-believe tatted-up Cruz and cry at the beauty he perceives.

Meanwhile, all of the other men in the comic dream of the women they gently caress, standing awkwardly in a white void like bored pinup models. You know, normal wet dreams.

I think that the labels are supposed to be Muir's way of reminding the audience where everyone is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

alnilam posted:

The idea of "Big Climate" never fails to amuse and infuriate.

Someone please hook me and my fellow researchers up with this Green Fat Cat, I'd love to meet him and write him some proposals.

On the other hand, oddly enough, there's never much of a shortage around here of funding for oil, gas, and coal related research... hm.

Yeah, but remember, Obama only funds you if you accept the scientific consensus on climate change. Oh those poor 5%, how will they survive without giant sacks of cash...

• Locked thread